a pre-Deal's Gap Safety lesson....with Photo's from Killboy!!! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 28 Old 05-09-2011, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

a pre-Deal's Gap Safety lesson....with Photo's from Killboy!!!

30 or so guys from Grand Rapids, MI are headed down to the GAP..... many of these guys are new riders. So, every year I try to put together some safety lesson to get them thinking about how to ride at Deal's Gap, NC......

Here's my safety lesson post from this year.....

O.k. everybody...... here is my pre-GAP safety lesson.... a few things to think about......

Looks like the pace is back up on the Dragon.....ahhh.... what art!

This is pretty much a common occurrence down there.......couldn't tell you how many people have passed me coming the other way in my lane.... just expect cars and heavy cruisers to do this...... Seriously ----- if there is a line of cars coming the other way mid-corner..... you don't have to go knee down.... just take it easy and give them room, there will be plenty more corners to go full-on.

Here's an excellent learning shot........don't APEX early......stay wide as long as possible, throw it in, then accelerate out of the corner...... it will give you a route of escape in case a vehicle coming the other way crosses the yellow...... BTW --- the other issue with Apexing early is that....if you're going tooo fast for the corner, it will sling shot you right off the road on the other side. You'll see black marks all over the road from people who have done this the week before.

This is what happens if you APEX early and don't make the corner.....

Here's a great line......see how wide he is going into the corner....not APEXing early.....this gives you a bigger margin of safety down there... TRUST me, you WILL instinctively turn early and want to apex early..... force yourself not to.

Here's another local rule...... don't be tempted to cut corners.....just don't do it --- why straighten a curvy road you just drove 10 hours to get to? This only puts other on-coming riders at risk and highly looked down upon by the LEO's and local riders.

So ------ here's another thing to chew on....... Sure --- hanging off the bike looks racey on the street......but hanging off WILL throw your bike more upright and reduce the bike's lean angle and give you more of a contact patch. Get your butt off to the side of the SEAT!!!!

He's got nothing left.....and putting his bike and himself at undue risk.....

I've seen riders ride this way all day long......they have learned the extreme limits of this riding style.....they wear out tires quicker, obtain higher lean angles sooner, and put their bike and tires at MAX performance every corner. It then only takes one variable to drop the bike.... gravel? tires get too hot? tires not hot enough? accidentally go into a corner too hot? they're leaving a zero margin for error every corner.

Check out the difference in lean angle by hanging off the bike. The guy in the photo below has a larger contact patch, less lean angle, the same or faster corner speed, and a higher safety margin.

LOL, I have a friend that use to ride like the guy in the photo above (LOL --- I'm not going to say his name, ha ha).....that friend would crash every year and couldn't ever figure out what the cause was. There was also a reason for the crash..... like cold tires, wrong PSI, bad tires, gravel, wet pavement, etc. etc. He probably could have avoided many of his mishaps by increasing his safety margin.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 05-09-2011, 06:17 AM
Tirone

+1 on everything. I just got back a few weeks ago and had a blast. My first time up there as well. Might be going back in a couple of weeks. I'll just ad, as simple as it is, if you're not staying in your lane, you're going to fast. I had just as many sport bikes crossing over into my lane as cruisers. Some were cutting corners but most were just overshooting or had their whole body in the opposite lane. Of course, there were plenty of cars that couldn't stay between the yellows. Also, one guy did this for us and it probably helped save many riders from going down. If you see an 18 wheeler coming, turn around and ride in front of him warning oncoming riders to slow down. It's ridiculous that they still use this road. It's impossible for them to make it through the gap without using up the whole road in large percentage of the corners.
Anyway, great write up, and have a fantastic trip!

post #3 of 28 Old 05-09-2011, 08:19 AM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

Great advice and an appropriate thread. My first trip there was 1979 when it was safe and empty. It is now a paved "amusement park." There are many other good roads in the area that are less congested where you can move at a spirited pace with a much better margin of safety.

Best of luck, ride safe, and keep the casualty count at zero.

Doc

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."

post #4 of 28 Old 05-10-2011, 12:36 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Thanks, Arctic. And have fun !

post #5 of 28 Old 05-10-2011, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST-DocLizard1 View Post
Great advice and an appropriate thread. My first trip there was 1979 when it was safe and empty. It is now a paved "amusement park." There are many other good roads in the area that are less congested where you can move at a spirited pace with a much better margin of safety.

Best of luck, ride safe, and keep the casualty count at zero.

Doc
I believe this is year 8 for me...... it is definitely NOT the same road it use to be.

Personally, I enjoy getting up around 8:00 am, getting breakfast at the resort....doing a couple quiet reasonably paced runs on the Dragon.... then off to other places for the rest of the day.

There's nothing like being the first person out there in the morning.

post #6 of 28 Old 05-10-2011, 01:06 PM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic954 View Post
I believe this is year 8 for me...... it is definitely NOT the same road it use to be.

Personally, I enjoy getting up around 8:00 am, getting breakfast at the resort....doing a couple quiet reasonably paced runs on the Dragon.... then off to other places for the rest of the day.

Amen!

Doc

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #7 of 28 Old 05-10-2011, 01:23 PM
...is a Nihonjin.

Fantastic, fantastic post. It should apply to all of spirited street riding.

post #8 of 28 Old 05-10-2011, 01:41 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:

You just want to be easy to find on killboy

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided
post #9 of 28 Old 05-10-2011, 04:39 PM
Pilus Posterior

So basically - slow the F down!

Although motorcyclists bang on about being hit by cars a lot (and it is valid) we are also responsible for a lot of our own spills which are totally avoidable. A prime example in your photos of some crap riding!

I wonder just where the heck that big Harley is going sitting out there!

post #10 of 28 Old 05-10-2011, 04:53 PM
Optio

You might also point out to the newbies another issue in your first "apex early" photo: The guy's tires may be within the yellow line, but his head/body are well across the line because of his lean. Be aware of where YOU are, not just your tires.

Great write up, and a good reminder for everyone.

post #11 of 28 Old 05-10-2011, 07:02 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I'll see if youtube comes up in the near future, if it does I'll post the video of my dumbassery in the area last week. I touched the wrong white line with my front tire. I rode away from it, but it was a reminder I needed to SLOW THE !#%^ DOWN. I was traveling between the cherohala skyway and the tail of the dragon (on 143 still) and came around a corner at probably 50-60mph (error #1 above the speed limit) only to see a large patch of gravel covering my side of the road. Instead of riding through it, I rode around it. Had there been oncoming traffic, I would have been 86ed.

Watch out for t-rex'es. They seem to be the most aggressive drivers on the gap. I may have had bad luck, as it seemed they were having a gathering the week I was there.

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided
post #12 of 28 Old 05-10-2011, 07:07 PM
Aquilifer

Quote:
30 or so guys from Grand Rapids, MI are headed down to the GAP..... many of these guys are new riders.
That's all you really needed to say.

post #13 of 28 Old 05-10-2011, 08:04 PM
Discen

Great post!

post #14 of 28 Old 05-11-2011, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousmike View Post
That's all you really needed to say.
LOL..... I'm sure you know..... Its amazing how many riders that have been riding for years that still have shity lines and haven't figured it out.

Now --- my problem is this......

I've been riding Deal's Gap for sooo many years --- (practically learned how to ride a bike down there......) When I do a track day ----- I have the HARDEST time not using that same riding style.

Guys that ride the track know..... its VERY easy to get T-Boned from the inside if you use the APEX late style.

Notice where the lines converge..... Fast guy coming down the inside to pass with a nice arching line... you go wide, tip it in quick and square off the corner (street riding style).... collision.

post #15 of 28 Old 05-11-2011, 08:54 AM
...is a Nihonjin.

Just gonna place this right...here.

post #16 of 28 Old 05-11-2011, 11:24 AM
Michael

Artic when are you guys going down to the gap???

post #17 of 28 Old 05-11-2011, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmoo View Post
Just gonna place this right...here.
Holy hell....that's fuc*'ed up. Can't imagine being behind the lens and seeing that happen first hand.

A friend and I are heading out Early Friday Morning from Grand Rapids, MI --- we'll be riding over to Zanesville, OH, riding Route 555 (The triple nickle) to Ripley, WV. Then to the Blue Ridge Parkway, through Ashville, and then into Robbinsville, NC --- Saturday afternoon.

I'll be at the GAP until Thursday morning of next week.

post #18 of 28 Old 05-11-2011, 12:52 PM
Out for a ride.

Just to add to the convo...

When you see the photographers, this is not the time to go "all out" and strut for the camera - slow down, focus on form, (and get more photos taken of you), you don't want to be an example photo for others.

Also, I've never been up there and not seen a bike off - too many cowboys on unfamiliar territory. Remember, after every blind turn will be another blind turn, so remember what you're getting into.

Killboy himself was just run off the road by some woman in a Mini crossing the double yellow in the middle of a blind corner, and his wife was run off last winter by a semi. Always need to stay alert, especially when you're on a road with so many others looking to push the limits.

post #19 of 28 Old 05-11-2011, 05:06 PM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

That last pic of the guy hitting the black Honda, caught my eye and made me LOL, his foot makes it look like he done pooped his pants real good!!!!

[
post #20 of 28 Old 05-13-2011, 11:10 AM
a.k.a. Macgruber

Awards Showcase
Donation 

STICKY-worthy thread.

nicely done arctic

Abba Zaba, you my only friend.
post #21 of 28 Old 06-01-2011, 12:37 PM
McTavish

arctic954, where are you ?

post #22 of 28 Old 06-01-2011, 12:38 PM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

scour killboy....

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #23 of 28 Old 06-01-2011, 12:53 PM
The Cripple

agreed, where are you dude? everything alright?

post #24 of 28 Old 06-01-2011, 01:22 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

YouTube - ‪Deal's Gap 2011 - Honda Hawk GT.avi‬‏

one of the guys I rode with at the gap caught some cruisers riding like douchenozzles. Please don't ride like this. There are locals that will pass you on the road, and doing crap like this will get you both hurt.

At 6:06 you can see me dancing next to "The Green Meanie"

post #25 of 28 Old 06-01-2011, 01:33 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefsalad View Post
YouTube - ‪Deal's Gap 2011 - Honda Hawk GT.avi‬‏

one of the guys I rode with at the gap caught some cruisers riding like douchenozzles. Please don't ride like this. There are locals that will pass you on the road, and doing crap like this will get you both hurt.

At 6:06 you can see me dancing next to "The Green Meanie"
lol, ugh, I think that vid just made me sick....

Can't we just have straight riding and just the sound of nature (aka, pipes)?

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #26 of 28 Old 06-01-2011, 02:24 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

@Beefsalad, I see you had your GoPro on top so where is your video?

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #27 of 28 Old 06-01-2011, 02:40 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

@07919Dave I was the slow guy in the group so not much good stuff out there. Some of the clips on that video I believe were from my cam.

post #28 of 28 Old 06-17-2011, 01:42 PM
Tirone

excellent advice in here. I've been to the Gap 3 times, and can't wait to get back!! I've been guilty of road-hogging a few times myself, just not realizing how tight a corner is. Keep it in your lane, and watch out for those who don't.

07.5 Tuono
04 599

"Any driver can splatter bugs on his windshield. Few splatter them on the side windows too."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode