A Long Trip - Wrist Twisters
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By crakerjac

post #1 of 17 Old 09-15-2017, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

A Long Trip

I'm going on a long trip. I'd like to be as comfortable as possible for my potentially up to 15 hours of riding inside a single day. The long commute at like, 90 mph indicated kind. The furthest I've ridden before this was 160 miles, at most 3 hours of a trip. This'll be nearly 1000 miles. Going to visit "The Tail of the Dragon" as they call it. I would like some advice on transforming this bike into a slightly more accommodating bike for the ride.

I currently only have the OEM windscreen, and that does me fine for short stints as it does a pretty decent job if I'm in a full tuck, but it does push the air right into my collar bones and into my helmet from the bottom, contributing to some noise. IDEALLY I would like to be completely out of the wind or enough that it doesn't even matter. I'm only 5'5" so it's not too unreasonable for someone like me, I think? From my knowledge, bigger wind screens can create a wind blast at your head which really sucks. I guess I could get something massive, but I don't want anything bigger than I really need. Also, those are expensive.

After some research, I was thinking of getting the Givi E460 top case. And maybe a tank bag too, but I don't really know what I'd put in it yet.

Another thing I saw was a throttle lock, basically the thing that latches on to your throttle and clamps down. You set the throttle, back the thing onto the brake lever, tighten the thing a bit and it rests on the brake lever to prevent the throttle from returning.

Things to pack....I don't even know where to begin. We'll be staying in a cabin so I don't need to camp. I'm bringing my one piece leathers, so that's a hefty amount of space used right there. Other than just proper riding gear/casual clothes, I'm not sure what to bring. Maybe a clutch cable and some tape so I don't have THAT happen again....

Any advice from any of you more experienced in the ways of touring?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-15-2017, 07:46 PM
Tesserarius

Just put the 919 on back of your pick-up, and ride once you get there. That's what I do.

post #3 of 17 Old 09-15-2017, 08:12 PM
Centurion

You are going to need a new seat or a new ass. I have a Corbin I will sell you (I have two of them). The stock seat is a literal PITA. Word of warning, the Corbin will move you up & back some--but if you are tall you may prefer it.

You can also check out Ventura luggage. You can run TWO of the largest Spada VII bags at the same time--they zip together with one supported on the rack & the other perfectly supported on the aforementioned Corbin.

post #4 of 17 Old 09-15-2017, 09:40 PM
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 12

A cramp buster is an easier and cheaper solution vs. a throttle lock. It can save your wrists and hands from holding onto the bars too long.

Unless you get a big windscreen, you really won't be out of the wind and you might as well stick to the OEM screen. I've tried the Givi A240, but prefer the OEM. Best you can do is wear a good set of earplugs to reduce the wind noise.

A hard top case offers some advantages being that it's waterproof and secure. It's nice having peace of mind for valuables when the bike is left unattended. If that is not a concern, a good tip I got when I started touring was to use trash bags to line my soft luggage so that I could keep the contents dry.

Bring a good 2 piece rainsuit, waterproof gloves, and waterproof boots. Soggy hands and feet are no fun on a long days ride. Nor is wearing a one piece rain suit that doesn't breathe. Microfiber type clothing packs light and is easy to wash & dry at the end of the day so you only need a couple of shirts. Pack water and snacks and remember to fuel up not just the bike, but yourself at gas stops.

Mechanical problems should be limited on the 919, but bring the OEM tool kit. Having the spare clutch cable is prudent. As for electronics, your smartphone should have you covered for practically everything. Download offline maps in Google Maps in advance and you can leave the GPS at home. Have some way to keep the phone charged as you're riding and leave it as your map in the tank bag. I also keep a small air compressor and tire plugging kit on my bike in case of a flat on the road.

Touring by motorcycle feels a bit overly adventurous at first until you actually do it and then you realize how easy it can be. What you can do is get your setup together and then do a full day trip to see how it works for you.

When are you planning on coming down to the dragon? I might be able to make a visit up there.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

49/50 visited on two wheels. 1 more to go!
post #5 of 17 Old 09-16-2017, 03:19 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

I put this together years ago and found it via search so I'll just paste it in. I still have the 919, but got s BMWR1200RT for longer rides. You can tour a 919, it just takes a little work:

Mike sure the bike, tires, chain and sprockets are in good shape and prepared for the mileage you are going to travel.
Clean, lube and adjust the chain before you leave.
When touring I run the tires at max inflation, and check them daily (take an air gauge).
Take a small can of chain lube. Lube it every 500 miles, even if you don't clean it. Lube it more often if you're running in the rain.
I run Ventura soft luggage with a waterproof inner liner. On/off the bike in 10 seconds, and the rack only takes 5 minutes to install. There's some nice hard luggage available also.
Take some old rags, clean rags and something to clean your visor, a couple of garbage bags [great for dirty laundry, wet swimming trunks, waterproofing something that should have been].
CO2 tire inflation kit.
Atlas, and preferably a GPS.
I have a wind up flashlight.
Zip ties and duct tape are nice extras.
I carry a 15' cable lock to secure the bike.
I carry a 2' cable lock to lock helmet, jacket and tankbag to the bike.
Aftermarket saddle, I run Corbin. If you can't get that, one of the sheepskin covers is supposed to be nice, but I've never tried one.

I seperated this one. Some will get a laugh (RC90), but I don't wear underwear. I wear Nike full length undergarments, and the nice thing is they don't have any seams. The seams in underwear, be it boxer or brief, will not feel good after some long miles. It also helps to lotion your ass, and especially the hamstring area. [some people use monkey butt].

Wear full gear. With the obvious benefit to safety, it really helps not having the sun and wind beating on you hour after hour.
A windscreen is a nice addition. I run the GiviA755.

Do yourself a favor, and if you haven't already, threadlock your bar ends and all of the bolts holding your shift linkage together. There's an extra bar end laying on the highway in Ohio if you need it. Let me know.

I take a clear shield and sunglasses, tinted shield and clear glasses.
If you run a clear shield, take some suntan lotion for your face. Or get fried, your option.

I have a FroggTogg rainsuit. I keep it in my tankbag. Quick on and off. Ventilates well.

Take a camera.

Crampbuster or some other type of throttle assist/lock is a must for long range touring.

I start out with one bottle of water in the tankbag. When I get gas I drink it and buy another. I like lukewarm water, so that's not a problem for me. A bottle a tank keeps me happy. According to how fast your going through tanks, at least a bottle every couple of hours.

It takes one minute every morning to do a light check. I've had two tail bulbs go out on different trips.

Most motels will let you park at the entrance drive through.

Take as many tools as you can comfortably handle.

Wheelie across every state line.

Earplugs. You may not wear them on a daily basis [I don't] but I do like them when touring. Back to back days of helmet noise can be tough on the ears.

DO NOT use bungee cords to secure anything.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #6 of 17 Old 09-16-2017, 04:09 AM
Tesserarius

Or you can just put on the back of the truck.

post #7 of 17 Old 09-16-2017, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

A plug kit and some rags for cleaning my visor is a definite add, thanks for that. I'm not sure I can do anything about the seat. I think corbins look absolutely hideous and the "up and back" isn't going to work for me since I can barely tip toe the ground as is, and moving me back some will make me have to reach further for the bars. Those sargent seats look nice though....but i'm a poor college kid with one seat so that won't happen. I do need to think about rain gear though. All this stuff is so expensive.....people say going cross country is cheap, but that's assuming you already have all the gear to go. I also need a tinted visor, bad, and an anti-fog visor as well. I've tried rainex on the visor but it doesn't work nearly as well as it does on a glass windshield.

Also, I don't even have a car, let alone a truck so that won't work. The money I'd need in tolls in gas would be the same as I'd spend on all the gear to do it on a bike anyways, so I might as well just ride

I'm planning on leaving the 18th, arriving the 19th, riding the 20th and 21st, leaving the 22nd, and arriving home around noon ish the 23rd to get ready for class at 3pm.

post #8 of 17 Old 09-16-2017, 03:38 PM
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 12

You mean leaving Sept 18th? Want to meet up on the 20th?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

49/50 visited on two wheels. 1 more to go!
post #9 of 17 Old 09-16-2017, 04:24 PM
Discen

+1 to cramp buster. A must in every trip.

If you go alone, just grab a backpack and tie it to the back seat. Buy a big plastic to cover it.

ROUNDED HEADLIGHTS LIBERATION FRONT

aaaa
.. a ^aa
^aaaaa
aa ^aaa avispaoencarretera.blogspot.com.es

post #10 of 17 Old 09-16-2017, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

Sorry, I meant October

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

post #11 of 17 Old 09-17-2017, 12:49 AM
Tesserarius

Which Floral Park are you from? NY? It's around 750 miles one way. That's doable in one day, if you start early.

I've never done much of what you are talking about, but when l did, l went cheap, and light. OEM tool kit. There's a Walmart in every town. "Custom" seats weigh a to, cost too much and look like shit. Just stand on the pegs once in a while. Never needed a Cramp Buster, either. A little bottle of Motrin, is a whole lot lighter and cheaper.

You will need reasonably new tires, and fresh oil in the bike. Dress warm.it gets cold in those mountains in October, especially if you get some morning rain.

I love to ride, but touring on a motorcycle never looked like any fun to me.

post #12 of 17 Old 09-17-2017, 08:34 AM
Centurion

I assure you after 350 miles you will not give a damn what a seat LOOKS like.

post #13 of 17 Old 09-17-2017, 11:37 AM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 21

A simple throttle lock will do the trick when you are on the slab.
A piece of tape across the top of the visor will give you some relief from the sun.
A small dab of Dawn dish washing soap applied on the inside of your shield will help prevent the fog buildup.
Preparation for inclement weather is a must when on tour; check out Walmart for some inexpensive raingear.
Rubber dish washing gloves and waterproof footwear are a must. Nothing worse than being cold except being cold & wet.

The "Dragon" is a one and done for me as there are many other better/less congested roads to be on in my humble opinion.
It can take a while for the morning fog to burn off when in the mountains. Don't rush to get on the road at daybreak.
Never try to outrun/pass a pickup truck in the mountains, they know the roads and you don't.
Watch for the wildlife; deer, bear, and wild boar.

Let me know if you want to borrow some soft luggage for the journey.

My first tour to the Smokey Mountains in the Spring of '79

Doc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan_pic0003_942.jpg (331.5 KB, 16 views)

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #14 of 17 Old 09-17-2017, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

We aren't really aiming for the tail, moreso the roads surrounding the area. I just need rain gear at this point

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

post #15 of 17 Old 09-17-2017, 09:12 PM
Milites Gregarius

Garage
You can get a cheap rain suit at any sporting goods store, or hell even walmart or whatever. Ear plugs if you don't ride with them already. Heated grips are nice-- with a 15 hour day you'll be riding in chilly mornings and evenings, especially in the mountains. A tank bag is helpful to have something to lie down on when you're slabbing it, and that gets most of your torso behind the windscreen. The stock seat is not *terrible* if you're 5'5", that's about my size and I can sit way forward onto the tank to give my hips and knees a break or scoot back and stretch out my arms whereas a Corbin really does force you to sit in only one spot.

Before I go on long trips I try to go on as many "training" rides as possible, like 300+ mile full day rides to get my ass in shape lol. And honestly I hate doing more than 400 miles in a day; maybe I'm a wimp but I think it's miserable and actually kind of hard to sustain 90mph on the 919 for hours at a time, even on wide open freeway. The wind is exhausting, you have to be constantly looking for places to pass people to maintain that kind of speed and also checking for cops, and the wake from big trucks will fuck you up. Be careful, especially on your return ride-- you may find that you're tired and sore and that's not a great condition to be in if you're trying to make it back on a deadline. I find that riding until the gas light comes on (3.something gallons down on my bike, so about 130-160 miles) is just about my upper limit for how long I can go before I need a break.

That said... have fun man. I love touring on the 919 and I'm always camping when I go on my trips too. I'm unwilling to pay the premium for owning an actual sport tourer and I'm unwilling to trade the sportiness of the 919 for the cheap ADV options like a Vstrom or Versys so we make it work. Best adventure bike is the one you take on a fucking adventure

Fine, I'm adding a signature, leave me alone!
post #16 of 17 Old 09-18-2017, 06:11 AM
just send it.

Garage
1,000 miles in a single day is A LOT of miles on a bike. When I go on road trips, 700 miles is about as far as I can go in a single day. Granted, I have my wife along and she is on her Honda Magna (110 mile range on her tank) so we stop often... but with that much seat time, your body is going to be a wreck when you get there... that is if you aren't making poor judgement calls because your body is so exhausted.

If you are going to slab it down, save yourself the hassle and trailer the bike down. Your body will be fresh so you can enjoy the roads and your tires wont be shot from all that slab.
badmoon692008 likes this.

[This space for rent]
post #17 of 17 Old 09-18-2017, 06:50 PM
Unpossible.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by derpydog View Post
Best adventure bike is the one you take on a f*****g adventure
Preach!

(Plus those ADV bikes are pretty much universally ugly af)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode