A good day turned bad - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 19 Old 06-08-2011, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Discen

A good day turned bad

So far, today this has been one of the worst days I've had on a bike

Honda Canada was having a demo day today, So I took the day off and rode to the city, I got to ride the CBR250 and the VFR1200, very awesome day to start beautiful sunny warm day (finally) and I got to ride some new bikes, which was nice.

This is where the good day went terrible, A few friends from the place I used to work at decided we'd all meet up and go for a ride, plus a friend just got his bike license so it was a go. We went towards the local twisty's along the coast and took our time (as we had a new guy with us) when we got to the twisty section we pulled over to give some room to the car in front of us, and explain not to go past your comfort level and try to keep up. So I took the lead, with the older fella behind me followed by the other 2 guys, We weren't going full retarded by any means but an upped pace, anyways I took the lead and went through and stopped a few minutes down the road, waited... and no one showed up behind me..

I ride back to find my older friend on the ground and the bike smashed to hell, we still don't know what quite happened but I figure he went into the corner and froze up as there were no brake marks, he went straight into the guard rail head on, the forks on the bike were cut in half, but he's okay with broken shoulder blade and broken wrists.

after that mess, I took it easy the whole way home as I was coming down into the small valley I decided to just let the bike go (as the house is just on the other side of the hill) of course it's dark, I come around the corner going up the hill and a deer decides to jump out at the last minute, I ended up hitting it which upset the bike but I managed to keep it up and stop (thank god for ABS) and my VFR800 I picked up 2 weeks ago is now damaged

On the upside, the deer is dead, and in my opinion he damn well deserved it for the damage done to my baby

it has been hell today, although I know it could have been worse

04 Honda 919
00 Honda Shadow ACE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 06-08-2011, 08:14 PM
Canyon Junkie

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Glad to hear you're ok and that your friend will heal! That stinks!! Dave

Are we having fun yet?
post #3 of 19 Old 06-08-2011, 08:30 PM
919 aka Hornet 900

Pretty eventful day! Glad you're ok and your friend in one piece...

post #4 of 19 Old 06-08-2011, 09:47 PM
Party Machine

i almost hit a deer tonight. Scared the shit out of me. im pretty sure if i did hit a deer i would try to kill it with my hands if it was not already dead.

post #5 of 19 Old 06-09-2011, 04:28 AM
Tirone

What's with all this animal abuse!

post #6 of 19 Old 06-09-2011, 05:05 AM
Tirone

Wow! That is one hell of a bad day! My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your friends!

post #7 of 19 Old 06-09-2011, 05:20 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Sorry about the incident. I hope you went back and picked up the deer. That's some good eatin' right there.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #8 of 19 Old 06-09-2011, 05:41 AM
Discen

"explain not to go past your comfort level and try to keep up."

these two instructions are mutually exclusive to anyone, but especially to an inexperienced rider... any concentration a rider is using to "keep up" is concentration he/she's not using to ride at the level he's usually capable of. i'm as guilty as anyone of taking off like a bat out of hell, then wonder why everyone else on the ride isn't having the blast I am. Glad everyone is OK, and hope that he recovers to throw a leg over a bike again.

03 919
06 DR650, GSXR exhaust mods, etc, etc.

adventure is where you find it...
post #9 of 19 Old 06-09-2011, 05:56 AM
duc duc GOOSE!

wow, what a day, i would call of the next day too and just kick back!

14 Ducati Monster 1200, termi's
07 VFR Anniversary Edition-SOLD
02 919-SOLD
01 CBR F4i-SOLD
02 CBR F4i-SOLD
92 Kawi EX 500-SOLD
post #10 of 19 Old 06-09-2011, 06:13 AM
Ride Like You Stole It

That was a real bad day...I am glad I wasn't riding with you...Hope your friend get well soon.

post #11 of 19 Old 06-09-2011, 06:24 AM
Optio

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogjaw View Post
"explain not to go past your comfort level and try to keep up."

these two instructions are mutually exclusive to anyone, but especially to an inexperienced rider... any concentration a rider is using to "keep up" is concentration he/she's not using to ride at the level he's usually capable of. i'm as guilty as anyone of taking off like a bat out of hell, then wonder why everyone else on the ride isn't having the blast I am. Glad everyone is OK, and hope that he recovers to throw a leg over a bike again.
You're reading it correctly as it's written, but I bet the OP meant "not to go past your comfort level TO try to keep up." In other words, don't ride over your head trying to keep up with us. At least, that's what I hope he meant.

post #12 of 19 Old 06-09-2011, 10:05 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay313 View Post
You're reading it correctly as it's written, but I bet the OP meant "not to go past your comfort level TO try to keep up." In other words, don't ride over your head trying to keep up with us. At least, that's what I hope he meant.
Ditto on that. It will take a new rider YEARS to be as comfortable as some of us are on bikes, especially if we grew up riding dirt bikes and such. And they get so anxious to 'catch up' in experience, sometimes it comes back and bites them.

When Osiris and I were over in Jackson last summer I saw a decent sized bear cub shoot across the road not 20 feet behinds us (we were traveling in slow traffic due to construction). I don't think my bike, or me, would have been ok if we'd hit him. He was big.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #13 of 19 Old 06-09-2011, 10:08 AM
Duuuuuuurp.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
Ditto on that. It will take a new rider YEARS to be as comfortable as some of us are on bikes, especially if we grew up riding dirt bikes and such. And they get so anxious to 'catch up' in experience, sometimes it comes back and bites them.

When Osiris and I were over in Jackson last summer I saw a decent sized bear cub shoot across the road not 20 feet behinds us (we were traveling in slow traffic due to construction). I don't think my bike, or me, would have been ok if we'd hit him. He was big.
That was a great trip! We need to make that again as soon as the pass opens back up from the avalanche over the winter!

Spoiler:

Apparently I need to hit a few more states
post #14 of 19 Old 06-09-2011, 11:01 AM
Former 919er

Epicsoldier - you left out that the Canucks went on to loose to Boston after you got home. Truly a bad day.

Sorry to hear about your friend and your bike. I hope he has a speedy recovery and that your bike isn't too bad.

post #15 of 19 Old 06-09-2011, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Sorry dogjaw I wrote that down wrong, Jay has it right, that's what I meant. It wasn't just him we were saying that to, it applied to all of us which is why I took the lead knowing that I'd probably go faster and wouldn't be behind them, making them go over their comfort level. The new guy that was with us wasn't entirely green, he rode dirtbikes but of course we all know that's different then being on the street.

Ottawa919..I know....day completely ruined haha but I guess you can't expect them to win all of the games, I knew they would have a few bad games and boston would catch up...that's the canucks for ya.

Pics of my baby, although I found a used front fairing at a good price, and that seems to be the most expensive part, I just want my bike back

04 Honda 919
00 Honda Shadow ACE
post #16 of 19 Old 06-09-2011, 12:27 PM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Sorry to hear all the bad news.

Man you rode that out? Good on you bro!

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #17 of 19 Old 06-09-2011, 05:34 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyCatcher View Post

+1! Hope your friend gets well soon.

post #18 of 19 Old 06-09-2011, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyCatcher View Post

yeah it went into one hell of a wobble after hitting it, thats why I said thank god for ABS, it's just one less thing to think about when your trying to get the bike stopped safely, it's works for sure.

04 Honda 919
00 Honda Shadow ACE
post #19 of 19 Old 06-09-2011, 05:51 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Sorry to hear of all the bad luck. Canucks included.

Spoiler:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode