919 tall riders out there? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 13 Old 05-08-2017, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

919 tall riders out there?

Hello friends,

About 500 miles into my new-to-me 02 919 and I love it to bits. Spend an inordinate amount of time reading old posts here, such a wonderful site.

My one gripe with this bike is feeling cramped. I'll point out though that it's me not the bike. I'm 6'2" and have a bad left knee and after 30 mins or so the pain gets pretty searing. Would love to hear what other riders have done to give some more space. Preferably on the lower price end as I'm just a lowly grad student

Peg lowering kit isn't the move for me since I value my ground clearance in tight turns. It seems the only real option is a new seat like the Corbin which raises up a few inches.. But that's $500 just for a seat! All suggestions welcome

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-08-2017, 11:00 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

6'3" here and feel your pain. I ended up with a corbin and it makes a pretty big difference. Might be worth sending a message to the spencers seat mods guy and see if he could increase height a little bit. Other than that they're aren't a whole lot of options other than add something on top of the seat or find something custom...

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #3 of 13 Old 05-08-2017, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmoon692008 View Post
6'3" here and feel your pain. I ended up with a corbin and it makes a pretty big difference. Might be worth sending a message to the spencers seat mods guy and see if he could increase height a little bit. Other than that they're aren't a whole lot of options other than add something on top of the seat or find something custom...
Cheers man, thanks for the response. I talked to Spencer and he unfortunately doesn't increase seat height :/

Glad to hear Corbin makes a big difference for you though, guess I'll keep my eye out for a used Corbin - hopefully one comes up soon!!

post #4 of 13 Old 05-08-2017, 12:14 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I recovered a seat on another bike before and it actually came out pretty nice. They make different materials to put in place of the foam, different stiffness. I don't see why you would be able to add some extra foam there and make it firmer at the same time.

There's also one of these Air Hawks:
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...FQ9EfgodrSgB5Q

https://www.denniskirk.com/3977.sku?...ad=45713339317

Maybe even a combo of a pad and extra firm foam in the stock seat.

post #5 of 13 Old 05-08-2017, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
I recovered a seat on another bike before and it actually came out pretty nice. They make different materials to put in place of the foam, different stiffness. I don't see why you would be able to add some extra foam there and make it firmer at the same time.

There's also one of these Air Hawks:
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...FQ9EfgodrSgB5Q

https://www.denniskirk.com/3977.sku?...ad=45713339317

Maybe even a combo of a pad and extra firm foam in the stock seat.
Yea good point. I was definitely considering reupholstering the seat but not sure if Im ready for that much down time of no riding smack in the middle of good weather

Re airhawk, have you sat on one before? I strongly considered it for a long time but just couldn't justify spending 110 for air filled bubbles. I figured at that price I could cough up another 1-2 hundred and find a used corbin.

post #6 of 13 Old 05-08-2017, 04:36 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by knicholas View Post
Yea good point. I was definitely considering reupholstering the seat but not sure if Im ready for that much down time of no riding smack in the middle of good weather

Re airhawk, have you sat on one before? I strongly considered it for a long time but just couldn't justify spending 110 for air filled bubbles. I figured at that price I could cough up another 1-2 hundred and find a used corbin.
I didn't even look at the design or price I though it would be some gel/foam combo.

That's strange, I redid my CB700S with straight vinyl from the local store and it came out nice. I wouldn't have a problem buying $20 worth of stuff in order to make a custom pad. If you can get some very firm foam and basically make a pillow with straps that would go under the seat.

IDK if you've ever seen one of those 'make a motorcycle' shows, but basically they start out with a pan, foam, cover... In your case, I wonder why you couldn't make the seat pan 2" taller and 2" rearward. Take the stock pan, make a dupe out of it so that it attaches the same, cut the foam with an electric knife and shape it to be taller and further back.

I did that with another bike because I had no seat and got one from eBay that wasn't in great condition.

I bet there's a market for this as a service, riders come in all sizes.

post #7 of 13 Old 05-08-2017, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
IDK if you've ever seen one of those 'make a motorcycle' shows, but basically they start out with a pan, foam, cover... In your case, I wonder why you couldn't make the seat pan 2" taller and 2" rearward. Take the stock pan, make a dupe out of it so that it attaches the same, cut the foam with an electric knife and shape it to be taller and further back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfRk3YETUkI

You may have planted a seed haha

So basically, I'll remove the current seat cover (vinyl) and add layers of foam on top. I can be extra and get some layers of soft/medium firmness as per that video or I can just go straight to the point and get some firm, workable foam and glue it atop the existing old foam. Using an electric knife I can mold a shape I think suits my needs and then staple some new vinyl back over it.

Sound about right?

post #8 of 13 Old 05-08-2017, 09:31 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
You may have planted a seed haha

So basically, I'll remove the current seat cover (vinyl) and add layers of foam on top. I can be extra and get some layers of soft/medium firmness as per that video or I can just go straight to the point and get some firm, workable foam and glue it atop the existing old foam. Using an electric knife I can mold a shape I think suits my needs and then staple some new vinyl back over it.

Sound about right?
I bought an electric knife from the 2nd hand place and some foam and vinyl for my other one. Ended up using a sharp, fine hacksaw blade. I say where one was carving the shape for the seat area with a grinder. Then glue on extra support where needed t get the right shape.

One think that can really make it look professional is to stitch in pull points. Basically, if you look at a couch it can have buttons that are used to pull things down, you do the same thing to create a pocket where you sit. If you can stitch in a piece of vinyl, you can add a pull cord and cause it to have whatever shape you want.

Think about this... for $20~$40 you can have a shot at it vs $400+? for a professional one.

There some sites that sell the foam and glue, it's really not that hard.

Shaping Basics ? DIYMotorcycleSeat.com

I'm kinda surprised that more people don't dig into this, the costs savings is pretty big.

post #9 of 13 Old 05-09-2017, 01:36 PM
PB

I'm 6'6" and did a couple modifications to improve the ergos:

Renthall Road Highs + Tapped Vibranator ends
Spencer's Seat rebuilt - I asked about increasing the height and he said it'd (obviously) require new vinyl, so I didn't bother. The rebuild was well worth it.
Cycle Pirates adjustable footpegs and brackets

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0022XJDII/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0031BNYTY

If you want to take stress off your knees for not a lot of money, I can't recommend those footpegs enough. I understand not wanting to lose ground clearance, but you really don't lose much at all. As you can see, I put mine down and back which gave me so much more room. I can't say for sure how the ground clearance changed, but it's negligible compared to how much this one simple modification changed my fitment on the bike. They're not as big as the OEM ones, so your foot sits even lower than on top of those big rubber pads. They aren't buzzy at all and I'm so glad I did it. Plus, $100 is far cheaper than a new seat and a hell of a lot less work than making one for yourself.

post #10 of 13 Old 05-09-2017, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

That is awesome to hear! Your photos don't seem to be showing up though, think you can reupload them? Would love to see how they look installed. Did you have to fitz with the gear shifter as well?

post #11 of 13 Old 05-09-2017, 02:56 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

And here I am having trouble tiptoe-ing the bike....

post #12 of 13 Old 05-09-2017, 02:57 PM
PB

Hodor...

post #13 of 13 Old 05-09-2017, 03:52 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
That is awesome to hear! Your photos don't seem to be showing up though, think you can reupload them? Would love to see how they look installed. Did you have to fitz with the gear shifter as well?
That's odd, those photos came up last time... Basically it replaces the stock peg and puts an offset so that it's back and lower.

I get leg cramps on some longer rides, I think this could help me as well. Being a bit lower might help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode