919 or... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 12 Old 09-26-2011, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

919 or...

So, I'm getting back into motorcycling after about a year and a half off.

What I'm looking for is an upright sitting standard that isn't too heavy and is comfy, powerful enough for anything under 100mph, and cheap. Good brakes, etc, important to.

As for looks, I like old school. So, 919 is nice there. I would also love a really low center of mass. I like that about the cruisers I have owned.

I've heard the 919 is buzzy. How is its center of mass?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-26-2011, 02:16 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Mine feels fine even with three hard cases on the back, still plenty nimble in the twisties and I would say the center mass feels lower than '70's vintage UJM's.

post #3 of 12 Old 09-26-2011, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

I don't ride in the twisties a ton, this is more a to/from work commuter bike and some highways. I've ridden heavy bikes and they are great on highway but suck in the city. I need something that does both well. I noticed that the 919 can stow some cargo with bags, which is handy.

post #4 of 12 Old 09-26-2011, 02:33 PM
Optio

Regardless of where the center of mass is, the 919 will handle better at any speed and is way easier to handle in parking lots. I miss my old cruiser once in a while. Mainly just to look at in the garage. Lol. When it comes to actually riding it, I'll take the 919 any day. Too bad you're not closer to TX. Considering parting with my 919, and it already has Givi bags on it.

post #5 of 12 Old 09-26-2011, 02:49 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

From your description of what you're looking for I think the 919 would work out just fine for you.

post #6 of 12 Old 09-26-2011, 02:51 PM
Cornicen

If you would plug in your entire description into Google, it would take you to links on the 919.

Yes, it is a bit buzzy at certain rpms...which surprised me. Vibranators in the handlebar ends fixed that for me. Oh, and I went up one on the countersprocket tooth-count.

post #7 of 12 Old 09-26-2011, 03:25 PM
Tesserarius

Garage
Stock exhaust with Renthal Ultra Low handebars are a pretty good combination (I think) that makes the buzziness pretty low. That's what I have on mine and it feels pretty smooth. Yeah it'll have buzz because it's an i4, but it's not bad. I commute to class and back all the time which is 30 minutes away, and I'm perfectly comfortable. The 919 is a great motorcycle, PLENTY of power to keep you happy, really easy to handle at low speeds, and with my wider bars, it's pretty decent in the corners at higher speeds. For the brakes, they are good like most Honda brakes are. But don't expect to feel super strong braking power without getting steel braided brake lines. If you're over 25, insurance shouldn't be a problem. I'm 21 though, and insurance for full coverage is about $64 a month.

If you do want to buy a 919, I could possibly part with mine. I'm thinking on getting a sportbike. I'm in Williamsburg, VA with a 2007 919, excellent condition. PM me if you're not too far.

Diecut Vinyl Wrist Twisters Decals: http://mkt.com/toasttogo
post #8 of 12 Old 09-26-2011, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

I did the online progressive thing and insurance is like 15 a month for full coverage. Been riding a few years, no tickets, and I'm 29 which all helps.

post #9 of 12 Old 09-26-2011, 08:16 PM
Cornicen

Well I like my Kawasaki ZRX better than the wifes 919 but then the 919 does not have to be man handled like the ZRX because it is 100 lb lighter. With 1 in bar risers and a little seat padding redoo the 919 is acceptable. It is still a little buzzy in the bars but has no problem cruising at go to jail speeds - or so I have been told because I am the innocent type guy that would not do that.

post #10 of 12 Old 09-26-2011, 08:18 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Renthals are popular with the folks on this site, and they do make a fine product. If the ultra-lows change the stock riding position more than you care for, they have other offerings that are closer to the stock height & backset...The problem with the stock bars is that they are thin-walled steel...which sets up a harmonic with the engine vibes to create buzz at certain RPM's. Any thick-walled aluminum bars will fix the buzz problem.

Good luck on making your decision, I honestly think you would be hard pressed to find a bike with more "Bang for the Buck" than a 919 these days.

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #11 of 12 Old 09-26-2011, 08:22 PM
Cornicen

I'd think the Thar Bars would attenuate some of the buzziness in the bars, too. I may try some later in the year, or, next year.

post #12 of 12 Old 09-26-2011, 08:43 PM
duc duc GOOSE!

your description fits the 919 perfectly, though it could be a bit more sporting than what you described. i never had a problem with the buzz, but maybe I am just a lot less sensitive to it than others. I have ultra lows and bar end mirrors (no weights).

the key word you spoke was "cheap". You can get a lot of bike in a used 919 at a super low price, plus it is a HONDA!

14 Ducati Monster 1200, termi's
07 VFR Anniversary Edition-SOLD
02 919-SOLD
01 CBR F4i-SOLD
02 CBR F4i-SOLD
92 Kawi EX 500-SOLD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode