2Likes
  • 1 Post By ewmin3m
  • 1 Post By Sniper-x

post #1 of 15 Old 04-25-2017, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

Garage
599 Build Thread

Hello All,

I figured I'd create a build thread for this bike, since I didn't have one for the other, but here we are. First pics of the bike under my ownership.

Haven't done anything to it yet. Will take a closer look in the next couple of days and make a list of priorities of the mods that I want to do. Perhaps you guys could contribute with some suggestions.
Though the bike is horribly dirty, so probably a proper scrub is top list.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 1.jpeg (246.7 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpeg 5.jpeg (265.6 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpeg 4.jpeg (209.6 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpeg 3.jpeg (234.0 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpeg 2.jpeg (170.5 KB, 41 views)
CB 919 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-25-2017, 10:11 PM
919 Rider

That bike will clean up fine, Great ride mate. I'd like one of those beside my 919. How's it handle? Noisy? Have fun in that empty carpark?

post #3 of 15 Old 04-26-2017, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Centurion

Garage
Yeah, I'll clean it thoroughly this weekend.
As for now I think the ride is not at all refined, tires are not inflated, chain is a bit loose, gearing will definitely need to be changed.

First thing I'll change is the handlebars. Forgot how uncomfortable the stock ones are. I believe they have the same bend as the 919.
I'll also be ordering the stock mirrors too and painting them black.

Will keep updating here. Hopefully the mods will help out with editing the post. I'm not sure if there's a full on custom 599 build thread here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
That bike will clean up fine, Great ride mate. I'd like one of those beside my 919. How's it handle? Noisy? Have fun in that empty carpark?

post #4 of 15 Old 04-26-2017, 03:12 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

So what is non-stock? I see the USD forks and gauges are different from the 919, but are those stock for a 599?

Clearly the exhaust and rear lights are non stock. Interesting that the hose on the right side isn't a part of the 919, this would suggest that the engine isn't cast the same or maybe they changed some plumbing, oil pan, clutch cover, but the bulk of the engine looks the same.

Edit: looks like the engine is the same with a different crank. The bore of the 599 almost matches the 919 (65 vs 64mm) yet the stroke is 42 vs 69mm. That thing has to be a rev happy bike! all the size change was due to de-stroking.

post #5 of 15 Old 04-26-2017, 06:36 PM
Tesserarius

Re-jet that thing. It's a scary thought. But it is not hard. It is just time consuming. The difference is well worth the time and money.

I went -2 on the rear sprocket, after the re-jet. Do those two things, and the bike will be much smoother. The speedometer will be a lot closer to being accurate. Shifting in the lower 3 gears is less frantic.

SS brake lines up front. 599s have great, old school brakes.

I really like that little Bikini Fairing. What is it? A GIVI?

Not crazy about the rear turn signals. I hope those are stuck on with double sided tape.

I stuck a gold, aluminum bar on, as well as a DID gold chain. Jazzes it up a bit, without being gaudy.

The 599 engine is a slightly detuned version of the F3, 600, if l am not mistaken. It is no way, shape or form, derived from the 919. It is a great little engine. The exhaust sounds good. If you listen closely, the engine makes a whine to it, similar to a super charger.

I stuck an Ohlins on back. Got it from LDH. I am ok with the front forks.

Great, yet simple set of guages. Analog tachometer, digital speedometer, fule guage, clock, trips, and odo. No electronic clutter. WooHoo!

I like mine a lot, if you cant tell!
ewmin3m likes this.

post #6 of 15 Old 04-26-2017, 08:24 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Why's the 599 get USD forks and the 919 doesn't? I wonder of the 599 forks are better or a good choice for re-spring re-valve.

post #7 of 15 Old 04-26-2017, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

Garage
I was also thinking of re-jetting + changing up the gears.

Can you provide some details on:
- which re-jet kit did you use
- which sprockets + chain did you go for?

I still have the gold valves from racetech, turns out they have the same part number as for the 919, so I'll probably be updating the front first and then the rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper-x View Post
Re-jet that thing. It's a scary thought. But it is not hard. It is just time consuming. The difference is well worth the time and money.

I went -2 on the rear sprocket, after the re-jet. Do those two things, and the bike will be much smoother. The speedometer will be a lot closer to being accurate. Shifting in the lower 3 gears is less frantic.

SS brake lines up front. 599s have great, old school brakes.

Not crazy about the rear turn signals. I hope those are stuck on with double sided tape.

I stuck a gold, aluminum bar on, as well as a DID gold chain. Jazzes it up a bit, without being gaudy.

The 599 engine is a slightly detuned version of the F3, 600, if l am not mistaken. It is no way, shape or form, derived from the 919. It is a great little engine. The exhaust sounds good. If you listen closely, the engine makes a whine to it, similar to a super charger.

I stuck an Ohlins on back. Got it from LDH. I am ok with the front forks.

Great, yet simple set of guages. Analog tachometer, digital speedometer, fule guage, clock, trips, and odo. No electronic clutter. WooHoo!

I like mine a lot, if you cant tell!

post #8 of 15 Old 04-27-2017, 06:19 PM
Tesserarius

Ew, get the DynoJet kit.
Don't let some schlub down the street put a bigger secondary, or primary mains in it.

The DynoJet kit comes with 3 or 4 sets of jets, along with an adjustable needle (4), and 4 tiny brass plugs for some air jet, that isn't necessary.
Study the instructions carefully. Follow the instructions absolutely to the letter. Dont do block off plates or anything else like that, just yet. I looked for the remains of the kit that l got, but could not find it. I will look some more, here in a bit.

I think there is a chart that tell you what to put in, but l called DynoJet. I think l talked to a guy named Mike. I told him what altitude, average temp, intake mod (none) exhaust. I wrote down what he told me to put in.

I dont know if the bike makes more power. I like to think so, but my butt dyno is just as worthless as every one elses. I guarentee my 599 runs a whole lot better, smoother, and sounds happier. Even with the -2 sprocket, on the rear, if l pin the throttle at say, 5000 rpm, the front end starts to come off the ground at about 8500 rpm.

The rear sprocket is a Sunstar. The front is stock.

The chain is a gold DID. It is what ever stock size is. 525?

I want to hear about what the gold valves do for your front end. LDH, if you are there, tell me what you think about gold valves. It is a humble street bike, but if there is a noticable improvement in compliance, l'm in.

Another cool thing about the 599 is that it was made in Italy. The rectifier on mine says : Ducati. You dont see made in Japan anywhere.

post #9 of 15 Old 04-27-2017, 07:54 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
Ew, get the DynoJet kit.
Don't let some schlub down the street put a bigger secondary, or primary mains in it.

The DynoJet kit comes with 3 or 4 sets of jets, along with an adjustable needle (4), and 4 tiny brass plugs for some air jet, that isn't necessary.
Study the instructions carefully. Follow the instructions absolutely to the letter. Dont do block off plates or anything else like that, just yet. I looked for the remains of the kit that l got, but could not find it. I will look some more, here in a bit.

I think there is a chart that tell you what to put in, but l called DynoJet. I think l talked to a guy named Mike. I told him what altitude, average temp, intake mod (none) exhaust. I wrote down what he told me to put in.

I dont know if the bike makes more power. I like to think so, but my butt dyno is just as worthless as every one elses. I guarentee my 599 runs a whole lot better, smoother, and sounds happier. Even with the -2 sprocket, on the rear, if l pin the throttle at say, 5000 rpm, the front end starts to come off the ground at about 8500 rpm.

The rear sprocket is a Sunstar. The front is stock.

The chain is a gold DID. It is what ever stock size is. 525?

I want to hear about what the gold valves do for your front end. LDH, if you are there, tell me what you think about gold valves. It is a humble street bike, but if there is a noticable improvement in compliance, l'm in.

Another cool thing about the 599 is that it was made in Italy. The rectifier on mine says : Ducati. You dont see made in Japan anywhere.
So wasn't the 919 also made in Italy? I remember reading that on a Wiki page, but I never checked for a "made in" label.

post #10 of 15 Old 04-28-2017, 05:20 AM
Tesserarius

Karl, look at the VIN sticker on the headstock of your 919. The answer is there.

post #11 of 15 Old 04-29-2017, 01:29 PM
Tesserarius

Found it! Here is the jet kit. I did a 94, just like the instructions state.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1671.jpg (212.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1673.jpg (189.5 KB, 6 views)

post #12 of 15 Old 04-29-2017, 06:27 PM
Tesserarius

Gold chain, Ohlins, and bar. The brake calipers and rotor centers are goldish.

MIVV cone muffler on the right side.

These things make a really nice, fairly cheap, second bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1681.jpg (212.3 KB, 11 views)

post #13 of 15 Old 04-29-2017, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

Garage
Like that combo. Might go that way.
Are those renthals mediums ?
You changed the gear ratio to -2 in the back correct?Did you get the chain that LDH sells? DID i think it is?

Might PM you when the time comes to get the part names from you.

Quote:
Gold chain, Ohlins, and bar. The brake calipers and rotor centers are goldish.

MIVV cone muffler on the right side.

These things make a really nice, fairly cheap, second bike.

post #14 of 15 Old 04-30-2017, 09:51 AM
The Dead Head

Garage
Quote:

It looks like a Givi A305. I only assume that because there is one for sale for 25 bucks on the Honda599 forum. I wanted to buy it, but it won't fit on my 919. I think it's made for the 599 with the digital gauge cluster. I could probably make it work with some modification, but I already have a small Puig windscreen. Sorry to hijack, just thought I'd share a good deal

Givi Wind Screen - Honda 599 Forum

Common Sense...so rare, it's kind of like a SUPER POWER!
post #15 of 15 Old 04-30-2017, 10:34 AM
Tesserarius

I think the handle bar is a Renthal Medium......but it has been a while. It is very similar to, but maybe just a bit lower than the stock. The steel, stock handle bar was heavy. The chrome finish on the stock bar was not bright, silvery chrome. It had/has a tarnished look to it. I didnt care for it. (The bike was bone stock when l got it. I still have all the original pieces)

I remember it took all evening for me to put the bar on. Pretty sure i cut it 3 times until l was satisfied. Then l had to drill the hole for the throttle. It took me almost as long to put the bar on, as it did to re-jet the thing.

I did gear it a bit taller, which is the opposite of what most people do with 599s. Guys gear them shorter to mask the poor factory carburation. The speedometer, from the factory is about 7.5% high to start with. With the shorter gearing, the speedo is now way off. But the lunk heads, that do such things, think their bike is really fast, with factory jetting. But they are just fooling themselves. And you can't tell them any differently.

I have bought chains from LDH. You may pay a bit more, but LDH doesnt mess with junk, nor does he suffer fools well. Cheap is cheap in the long run.

After l bought the K+N, l was told the stock air filter flows more air than the engine can use. All l know is, l cannot tell a difference. The Honda filter looks like it was built for an M1 Abrams. Wire screen, plus a perforated sheet. What did they think was going to try to get thu?

Couple on interesting, to me, pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1687.jpg (186.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1686.jpg (173.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1683.jpg (216.6 KB, 9 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode