250 or 450 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 18 Old 11-15-2007, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

250 or 450

Anyone have any experence with the Honda CRF250x and CRF450X? The enduros not the MXers. Is a 450 just too much for an experenced street rider new to the dirt? The 250 seems like plenty. Anyone have HP figures for the2?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-15-2007, 04:47 PM
When in doubt.....GAS IT!

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Anyone have any experence with the Honda CRF250x and CRF450X? The enduros not the MXers. Is a 450 just too much for an experenced street rider new to the dirt? The 250 seems like plenty. Anyone have HP figures for the2?
If you're a normal size man get the 450. For to many reasons to list, you won't be sorry.

post #3 of 18 Old 11-16-2007, 05:40 AM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

The power:weight ratio of the 450 nuts. A good nuts. Hard to keep the front end down ever. I don't have much time on one to give much opinion, though. Just that it has a lot of power.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #4 of 18 Old 11-16-2007, 06:32 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Depends on what type of riding you really want to do. The 250 will surprise you but you have to ring it out a little more if you want to fly. The 450 has tree stump pulling torque and you will rarely need to clutch it to clear obstacles but then again all the extra power will tire you out quicker. Either bike has its merits and don't let anyone tell you that the 250 is just for "smaller riders" and a "real man" needs nothing less than the 450 it's total bullcrap. I can show you quite a few "regular and full sized" riders on 250's that can and will smoke a 450 any given day of the week. It's all in the know how

Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.
post #5 of 18 Old 11-16-2007, 06:44 AM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Spoiler:

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #6 of 18 Old 11-16-2007, 06:46 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Dude.....old school animal at its finest!!! Total crap in the tight stuff but in the open or a desert scenario YEEEEEHAAAAA

Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.
post #7 of 18 Old 11-16-2007, 01:48 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation 

My point is that it's much easier and cheaper to de-tune a 450 a bit if it's to much for you in the beginning than it is to modify a 250 to keep up with your evolving skills, not to mention it's much cheaper to maintain the valve train on a 450 than a 250.

post #8 of 18 Old 11-16-2007, 05:04 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 6

Get the 450X. I have ridden both of them & your money is well spent on the bigger bike.
They both go well. But I believe you will out grow the 250 in short order.
The 450 has the ability to be ridden slowly and on trails it's fine.
When you want to wring it out, it has a decent top end.
It's not all that impressive to me, but for most it's a bike that will impress.
The 08 changes have made the X quite a more versatile & user friendly machine.
Besides, A little extra motor never hurts.
Whatever size bike you choose, Get the suspension redone for you & where you ride.
It will make a night & day difference in how that bike works.

If you wanna talk trench digging,102 mph, scare the crap out of you, stands on end in every gear bike. Get on a proper tuned XR650R. Now, thats a machine.

post #9 of 18 Old 11-16-2007, 06:21 PM

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I can only say from experience from a MX standpoint as I have raced for more than 16 years... a 450 has no more advantage that a 250 does.

Sniper, depends on what you are looking to do with the bike. If you want to do lots of tight trails, woods riding, you might consider a 250. You would enjoy riding it more. If you ride in a lot of open spaces, and want to play with extra power, then a 450 would maybe be more what you want.

On a mx track, the only way a 450 is going faster than me is if he is a better rider. period.

My point is that it's much easier and cheaper to de-tune a 450 a bit if it's to much for you in the beginning than it is to modify a 250 to keep up with your evolving skills, not to mention it's much cheaper to maintain the valve train on a 450 than a 250.

Again, all with what he is using it for. I gaurantee you 100% he will never use a 250 to its fullest capabilities. Same with you. I am an expert level rider, thought about getting a pro liscence, and I will never get the "full" use out of a bike. Same about all of us on streetbikes/trackbikes. We like to modify the hell out of them but the number one hop-up that we could do would be to become a better rider.

As XR said, suspension is the number one modification that you can do. Anytime I get a new bike I rode it a few time to break it in and then had a full suspension revalve done. (Didn't hurt that I was sponsored by Pro-Action and they did it free)

post #10 of 18 Old 11-18-2007, 11:30 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motohead View Post
Same with you. I am an expert level rider, thought about getting a pro liscence.
Sounds like McGrath & Emig and all the rest really lucked out when you desided to pass on that Pro license.

By the way, I held an AMA Pro Racing license from Nov. 1975 to Dec, 1983.

post #11 of 18 Old 11-19-2007, 04:40 AM
Unbannable

In the dirt I've always had more fun on the smaller bikes. Unless you're riding in the desert or some wide open fields the 250 is your bike. Plenty of power to go up any hill.

post #12 of 18 Old 11-19-2007, 06:53 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeenracer View Post
Sounds like McGrath & Emig and all the rest really lucked out when you desided to pass on that Pro license.

Oh ya, screw both you and Moto. I held an amatuer gynocologist license from 1982 until 2006!

IMHO, I would go with a nice slightly used 250. They can be had for relatively low coin and you won't be afraid of throwing it down.

post #13 of 18 Old 11-19-2007, 07:43 AM
Discen

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
I can only say from experience from a MX standpoint as I have raced for more than 16 years... a 450 has no more advantage that a 250 does.

Sniper, depends on what you are looking to do with the bike. If you want to do lots of tight trails, woods riding, you might consider a 250. You would enjoy riding it more. If you ride in a lot of open spaces, and want to play with extra power, then a 450 would maybe be more what you want.

On a mx track, the only way a 450 is going faster than me is if he is a better rider. period.

Again, all with what he is using it for. I gaurantee you 100% he will never use a 250 to its fullest capabilities. Same with you. I am an expert level rider, thought about getting a pro liscence, and I will never get the "full" use out of a bike. Same about all of us on streetbikes/trackbikes. We like to modify the hell out of them but the number one hop-up that we could do would be to become a better rider.

As XR said, suspension is the number one modification that you can do. Anytime I get a new bike I rode it a few time to break it in and then had a full suspension revalve done. (Didn't hurt that I was sponsored by Pro-Action and they did it free)
I completely agree with your comments. I have seen too many people buy a large displacement off-road bike for tight woods riding and then stop riding it because the weight becomes tiring.

The bikes under consideration are far more woods worthy than the dual sports I have had, but there is a similar lesson. I had a Yamaha XT 350 for riding the tight woods in my area. Rarely did I get out of third gear. I finally got tired of picking 300lbs. off of me every time I wiped out. I replaced it with an XT225 which I modified for a little extra oomph. Not only do I have more fun in the woods with it, my times through the trails are faster. My buddy, who bought an XT350 when I did, still has his, and I can see the greater difficulty he has, as well as the occassional envious comment.

I think his ego interferes with the thought of "trading down" to a smaller bike, but for the type of riding we do, the power gap is indistinguishable in the woods. I for one, am very happy with getting rid of the 350.

post #14 of 18 Old 11-19-2007, 07:50 AM

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeenracer View Post

And don't forget Carmichael... he would never have had such a sucessful career if I was there.

post #15 of 18 Old 11-19-2007, 09:01 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

I have to agree with the size concensus. If it is tight trail riding you will do take the lighter bike. A 450 will wear your a$$ out over a tight 20 mile loop. The lighter 250 will be much easier to toss around and you will gain confidence much faster. Both are great bikes, do not let the power bug get to you. You can always upgrade down the road.

post #16 of 18 Old 11-19-2007, 09:04 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
And don't forget Carmichael... he would never have had such a sucessful career if I was there.
A couple of weeks ago at the Vet World Championships, they were giving Hannah a "Lifetime Achievement Award". After the ceremony I said; "You know Bob, lucky for you I never really took my racing seriously, If I had, they would of been giving that award to me today". He looked right at me and said; Dude, you were really slow!

The older I get, the faster I was.

post #17 of 18 Old 11-19-2007, 09:36 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

I am not a huge fan of Kawi but the KLX 300 has peaked my interest as a good in between class bike. The weight of a 250 enduro with a little extra punch.

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/det...ontent=details

post #18 of 18 Old 11-19-2007, 10:47 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I like this one better, my opinion of course, but why trailer it when you can ride it everywhere?

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/Detail.aspx?id=282

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode