2019 CB1000R First and second Impressions - Wrist Twisters
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Garcia242

post #1 of 14 Old 02-09-2020, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Garage
2019 CB1000R First and second Impressions

So I've had my 2019 CB1000R for almost a month now and I've been meaning to do a write-up on it. But the weather has been mostly cold and wet, so I've only been able to put about 630 miles on it. Combining break-in riding with not so great weather I haven't been able to open her up until a few days ago. Still I think there is enough here to talk about. This may end up being a bit long but please stay with me on this one. There is a reason I titled it First and Second Impressions.

And for those of you who don't know, I am coming off a 2015 FZ09. The FZ is a great bike with fantastic low and mid-range grunt. This is important to know.

I bought the CB on Jan 16 from a local dealer here in South East, Tx. First off, I got a fantastic deal. 3K off MSPR. They are now advertising it for an additional $250 off (summa ma beeches!). I bought it because the color and styling are on point for what I want. I love the color and I love brushed aluminum accents on anything. Cars, bikes, watches, jewelry. Everything. And it also reminded me of my 2007 Honda 919. A bike I feel I should never have let go. But anyway, the new CB spoke to me. And it had all the things: power settings, traction control, engine braking settings, slipper clutch, ABS, shift light, and blinkers that donít look like they are from 1980. It also has an option for a 2-way quick shifter w/rev matching, heated grips and an auxiliary charging port. I'm in love! And the color is called Chromosphere Red, I don't now what that even means, but I love it.

But enough about that, on to riding it. So, my first impression after taking it around the block a few times was, it was nimble. The handling was super sharp. But the ABS brakes kinda threw me for a loop. I've never ridden a bike with ABS, so it felt weird. It felt like it actually takes a bit further to stop. I figured that would only be the case when the ABS system engaged but it seems like it is like that all the time. Or maybe the brakes just need to break in.

So next on list of things to check out, it's power of course. The bike has 4 modes, Rain (low power), Standard (mid power), Sport (full power) and User (chef's choice). For break-in I wanted to keep the bike in Standard. I figured it would give me time to get used to the bike while also going easy on the engine during the 300 mile break-in period. So, as I started to ride it with a little zeal, but still well within break in specs (no rapid acceleration, no red-lines) I got to feel it out a little better. And it felt, well I wouldnít say gutless, but certainly less powerful than what I was expecting.

Now, I'm no hooligan rider. I don't like to pop huge wheelies for miles on end or pull huge stoppies. But I do like to have a small thrill every now and then. With the FZ it was mostly small power wheelies over pretty much any hump in the road. Or a small skid to a stop at a light, but that was about it. And the FZ was very good at that. Its low-end grunt made it effortless to pull just the slightest wheelie coming out of my neighborhood onto the main road. And that was enough for me. But this new CB didn't do that.

And at first I was a bit discouraged. Until I realized that I was riding it all wrong. I got so used to the FZs low end grunt that I forgot how an inline four makes it power. So I used the revs and feathered the clutch just a tad and that made a huge difference.

Coming out of my neighborhood, I pulled a wheelie while still coming out of my 90 degree turn. Yeah, it wasn't the bike. It was me. So, I went by all my favorite spots where the FZ would power wheelie and kept the revs a bit higher than I had and yeah the front end got loose. It wasn't as easy to do on the CB but it was definitely doable.

And I'm not saying I have to rev the bike way up to where the neighbors will hate me, but I do have to give it more effort than the FZ needed. And letís be honest, the FZ wanted to climb a wall at 2000 rpm.

Anyway, back to the CB. Now that I remember how to ride, Iím all grins again. The bike is a tad jumpy at slower speeds but I think that will just take some getting used to this particular throttle. But it is happy and at home on the highway and on sweeping turns. When in sport mode being in 6th gear feels like being in 4th on the old 919. Higher in the revs it just has all the power to motor past traffic. Iíve only just started to play with the USER mode. It lets you mix and match power, traction and engine break settings. So I will report back on that later.

And, to me, itís pretty comfy. One of my biggest complaints about the FZ was that the seat slanted forward too much for me. It would keep pushing my more sensitive bits into the tank and after 30 minutes my legs would be numb. The CBís seat is cushiony up front and rather flat towards the back. Iím small enough to find that I can scoot up in the seat to sit more upright or scoot back to lay down a bit. Both positions feel decent to me.

All in all, I am pretty dang happy with the bike. And now that Iíve figured her out Iím really excited to put more miles on her. Iíve already bought a Puig windscreen and some rear axle spools for easier cleaning and maintenance. Other plans include luggage side racks, the fore mentioned auxiliary plug and of course the quick shifter, although that will have to wait for a bit. And you should also know that my birthday is in October and I wear a size full Akropavic exhaust.
I also just bought an Official Honda Service Manual. Iíll make reports as maintenance comes up.

As for aftermarket, there is already a decent amount out there. Exhausts, fender eliminators, windscreens and yes decent looking options for luggage thanks to SW Motech. The one thing I AM having a hard time with is rear stands. Pitubull doesn't make a rear stand for it yet. R&G does but it's expensive to get it imported. I have been emailing with a newer company and they seem willing to give it a go and come up with something. Hopefully that pans out. But if it doesn't i'll make do. In the mean time, I'll be out putting miles on the new CB.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg akrapovic cb.jpg (223.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg racks.jpg (42.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg bags.jpg (40.5 KB, 8 views)
ewmin3m likes this.

my name is steve
i live in a box
my favorite color is clear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-09-2020, 09:25 PM
919 Rider

Aaargh!...I'm insanely jealous.
I had read people where having issues getting rear off ground for wheel removal.
Pity there is no OEM centrestand. Honda recommend a bike lift. Like we all have one of them lying about. I'm sure in time something will pop up.
I had also read about the twitchy off throttle. Pretty common on modern bikes. Some even have a fuel cutoff on deceleration. Emissions shit.
A ECU flash might help. I don't think there is a power commander available.
Yes that horrid giant stock exhaust can must go. I'd be tempted to pry that enormous catalyst underneath off as well. Maybe a full system.
It's a beauty.

post #3 of 14 Old 02-09-2020, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
Aaargh!...I'm insanely jealous.
I had read people where having issues getting rear off ground for wheel removal.
Pity there is no OEM centrestand. Honda recommend a bike lift. Like we all have one of them lying about. I'm sure in time something will pop up.
I had also read about the twitchy off throttle. Pretty common on modern bikes. Some even have a fuel cutoff on deceleration. Emissions shit.
A ECU flash might help. I don't think there is a power commander available.
Yes that horrid giant stock exhaust can must go. I'd be tempted to pry that enormous catalyst underneath off as well. Maybe a full system.
It's a beauty.
One of the motorcycle stand companies I've been emailing said that they haven't made a rear stand for the new CB because Honda told them that they intended the bike to be lifted from underneath. I said that was odd because everything I read Honda had been suggesting a hoist. I've since asked them to clarify where exactly Honda meant to lift the bike. They haven't got back to me on that point yet. But they have been pretty quick with their other replies so I feel like they will reach back out to me.

As far as the exhaust, both Akrapovic and Arrow make a good looking full exhaust system. And both can be bought in two stages. Come on tax return!

my name is steve
i live in a box

post #4 of 14 Old 02-09-2020, 11:30 PM
Left of Centre

Quote:
Aaargh!...I'm insanely jealous.....It's a beauty.
+1

post #5 of 14 Old 02-10-2020, 07:21 PM
Tesserarius

I have a small Block and Tackle mounted in the ceiling of my garage. I'm guessing if worse came to worse, you could take the seat off and put a couple of soft ties around the subframe, and lift the rear off the ground using a block and tackle.

What's the difference between Sport, and User?

post #6 of 14 Old 02-10-2020, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper-x View Post
I have a small Block and Tackle mounted in the ceiling of my garage. I'm guessing if worse came to worse, you could take the seat off and put a couple of soft ties around the subframe, and lift the rear off the ground using a block and tackle.

What's the difference between Sport, and User?
Yeah I've thought about an overhead hoist. It's an option, but for me it's kind of a last resort.

There are 3 power settings: 1 (least power) to 3 (full power). 4 traction control settings: Off and 1 (least amount of TC) to 3 (most amount of TC). And 3 engine braking settings: 1 (least amount of Engine Braking) to 3 (most amount of EB).

USER mode lets you customize all of your settings. Any setting for any of the three variables. You can even turn off the traction control. All the other modes are pre-determined and can't be changed.

It breaks down like this:
Rain: Power 1, Traction Control, 3, Engine Brake 2 (I think it's 2 on engine brake, I can't quite remember)
Standard: Power 2, Traction Control 2, Engine Brake 2
Sport: Power 3, Traction Control 1, Engine Brake 1
User: Power any, TC any or off, EB any.

The modes are selected by an up and down rocker. They can be changed on the fly but I think the throttle has to be closed to do it, or at least for the change to take affect. USER mode will keep your same settings that you program until you change it. And the bike will stay in the same MODE after turning it off and back on, unlike the 15 FZ09. It defaulted back to standard after turning it off.

I hope that clears it up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg InkedCockpit_LI.jpg (52.0 KB, 10 views)

my name is steve
i live in a box
post #7 of 14 Old 02-10-2020, 08:09 PM
Tesserarius

Now i get it! Good explanation.

The only bike I've ever ridden with any kind of electronic nannies is my Streetfighter, which has TC only. I'll have to admit. I do like having traction control. I high sided a 929 back in '04. That wasn't any fun. TC may have save me from myself in that situation.

You have some time to figure out the back tire removal. I wouldn't sweat it.

So where's the pic of the Puig?

post #8 of 14 Old 02-10-2020, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Garage
Quote:
Now i get it! Good explanation.

The only bike I've ever ridden with any kind of electronic nannies is my Streetfighter, which has TC only. I'll have to admit. I do like having traction control. I high sided a 929 back in '04. That wasn't any fun. TC may have save me from myself in that situation.

You have some time to figure out the back tire removal. I wouldn't sweat it.

So where's the pic of the Puig?
HEY, the '01 929 was my first real sport bike. I'm not counting the '99 Katana 600. LOL
I high-sided my 2005 CBR600RR going into turn 1 at Texas World Speedway a couple years back. Yeah, no fun.

The Puig screen works pretty well, except for when there is already a big head wind. And our weather lately has been super windy. So I haven't been able to really test it out. It's kinda tall but because it's clear it doesn't kill the lines of the bike too much. It's still hasn't completely grown on me yet. But it does glow at night with the head light being so close. Looks kinda cool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200207_101937.jpg (260.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 20200207_101943.jpg (249.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20200208_052810.jpg (122.3 KB, 7 views)

my name is steve
i live in a box
post #9 of 14 Old 02-11-2020, 04:54 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Arguably the best looking bike for sale right now. I might be considering it a bit more strongly if only they didn't gut the mid-range.

Also, for the brakes, they probably needed to be bedded in more, but abs does not affect the brakes at all until it actually is engaged. What you are feeling is what the bikes got. I imagine that because the brake pressure is routed though a larger system that the brakes could feel a bit more vague than a line straight from the master to the caliper.

post #10 of 14 Old 02-12-2020, 01:21 AM
919 Rider

If a power commander comes out and you remove that hideous exhaust/catalyst and possibly whatever they have jammed into the air intake. Maybe an ecu flash. Then maybe that mid range could be sorted out.
Or you just keep it wound out all the time.

post #11 of 14 Old 02-12-2020, 08:43 PM
Tesserarius

Replacing an exhaust system might help, and it might screw things up. I've seen it both ways. But right now, it clean, and quiet. Remember the non stop 919 Stink Threads? I've gotten to like catalytic converters on motorcycles. And I don't think the stock exhaust is any uglier than an aftermarket can. But, it's not my bike.

post #12 of 14 Old 02-16-2020, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanktm View Post
Arguably the best looking bike for sale right now. I might be considering it a bit more strongly if only they didn't gut the mid-range.

Also, for the brakes, they probably needed to be bedded in more, but abs does not affect the brakes at all until it actually is engaged. What you are feeling is what the bikes got. I imagine that because the brake pressure is routed though a larger system that the brakes could feel a bit more vague than a line straight from the master to the caliper.

Yeah I wouldn't have thought that it would make much of a difference until the ABS was activated. But most likely it's just me that needs to get used to this particular bikes brakes.

Also, can you change brake lines to stainless lines on an ABS system? I've always enjoyed the better feel of stainless lines.

my name is steve
i live in a box
post #13 of 14 Old 02-16-2020, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Garage
Quote:
If a power commander comes out and you remove that hideous exhaust/catalyst and possibly whatever they have jammed into the air intake. Maybe an ecu flash. Then maybe that mid range could be sorted out.
Or you just keep it wound out all the time.
Yeah I'm kinda hoping a flash or PC comes out, if for no other reason than to have options . But otherwise it's just a bit of an adjustment to keep the revs higher.

And I hadn't thought of the air intake. I'll have to look into that.

my name is steve
i live in a box
post #14 of 14 Old 02-16-2020, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Garage
Quote:
Replacing an exhaust system might help, and it might screw things up. I've seen it both ways. But right now, it clean, and quiet. Remember the non stop 919 Stink Threads? I've gotten to like catalytic converters on motorcycles. And I don't think the stock exhaust is any uglier than an aftermarket can. But, it's not my bike.
Akropavic's exhaust comes in two parts. You can do just the slip on to keep it quieter/cheaper, and that also keeps the boxy part that I'm assuming houses the converter?? And then you can add the headers for more power and more dollars. I do plan on doing the slip on because I love the look of it and I wouldn't mind a bit more sound. I doubt I'll go full system.

my name is steve
i live in a box

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode