I LOVE Tig Bitties!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 10-25-2007, 09:54 AM
not cro-magnon

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

GT40 by a long way. The AC is a lovely car however, it's been watered down by a huge number of kit cars. Just check out the license tag. I had a Submariner in the '80's, the most frequently asked question was "is that Rolex real?" I hated that, I got rid of it and never bought another.

"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room." - President Merkin Muffley
post #3 of 55 Old 10-25-2007, 10:02 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

convertible with style, oh yeah that's for me, don't care if it is a kit!

post #4 of 55 Old 10-25-2007, 10:15 AM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 5

the cobra tore up road racing in america and elsewhere, the GT kicked azz at LeMans, either way, they both suck on the road these days

know a guy that built a kit cobra, bought a nascar engine off a top name and has a hell on wheels setup but fruk if i want to ride in it for more than 10 mins...

for 60's muscle i loved the goats but i'm a Nailhead Man ....
1965 Buick GS !!!!

post #5 of 55 Old 10-25-2007, 10:34 AM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 
Total Awards: 2

Being a '60s Ford road race fan since I was a kid, the choice is very, very difficult between those two. Love the vintage Trans Am racers too. . .Javelins, Challengers, Camaros, Cudas, etc. Yeah they may suck by current standards but they paved the way of progress.

Here's my "fake snake", a GT350R clone, tribute, whatever. . .

Oh and my choice between the Cobra or the GT40. . .the Cobra, especially a 427SC Side Oiler.

post #6 of 55 Old 10-25-2007, 10:52 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

GT40 all the way. Cobras, tributes, kits, blah, blah, blah... They are a dime a dozen (not really mind you, but you get the idea.) When's the last time you saw a GT40 rolling through the streets?

post #7 of 55 Old 10-25-2007, 10:57 AM
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

I would pick the GT40 as well, simply because it is a car that you don't see every day. Personally, there are other cars from the 60's that I would rather have than either of these.

Both beautiful cars, though.

-Joe
post #8 of 55 Old 10-25-2007, 11:07 AM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner View Post
When's the last time you saw a GT40 rolling through the streets?
the last time i saw hondajim, dadogs and the rest of the rogues gallery in the same place at the same time...got video of dadogs doin the walkaround and then the owner lit'em up a couple times just for fun...kinda like johnny the racecar driver for the primus fans out there

post #9 of 55 Old 10-25-2007, 11:09 AM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner View Post
GT40 all the way. Cobras, tributes, kits, blah, blah, blah... They are a dime a dozen (not really mind you, but you get the idea.) When's the last time you saw a GT40 rolling through the streets?
All the real stuff are sitting in museums or in climate controlled garages. I have a friend who came across a Cobra 427 in 1990. He paid a measly $25k for it. Last year, he had it appraised at $900k plus. He also has a 65 GT350 that was appraised at $190k. He's too scared to drive them around. ---A side note. . .my penny a dozen clone was appraised by Hagerty at $35k. Not too bad. And, I can drive mine around without the worries.

post #10 of 55 Old 10-25-2007, 11:30 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdog View Post
the last time i saw hondajim, dadogs and the rest of the rogues gallery in the same place at the same time...got video of dadogs doin the walkaround and then the owner lit'em up a couple times just for fun...kinda like johnny the racecar driver for the primus fans out there
I was there that day. Gorgeous piece of machinery...
Spoiler:
for a F.O.R.D.

post #11 of 55 Old 10-25-2007, 11:46 AM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition 

love the cobra. my step-dad has a '69 GT350 convertible, small block with a four speed tranny being restored in virginia. doesn't run and isn't super pretty yet, but is worth upwards of $50k as it sits.

post #12 of 55 Old 10-25-2007, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdog View Post
Was it a GT40 or a GT?

post #13 of 55 Old 10-25-2007, 11:56 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorwerks919 View Post
Was it a GT40 or a GT?
It was a new GT.

post #14 of 55 Old 10-25-2007, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
BANNED!

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

OK - to set the record straight - either purchase would not be an original. They drive like crap and are ubber expensive... I do not want a trailer queen for shows. Both would be a turn key roller car from either Superformance or ERA. Some nice "kits" out there yes... but niether of those two manufacturers are in my mind... a "kit". Fully assembled car sans tranny and engine. Tranny choices go against purists who stay stick with the 4sp in the Cobra... but comon... your not going far with a std 4 sp with no overdrive. So likely a 5sp with a 6th as overdrive for highways. Engines are big blocks all the way. Sure some guys can build small blocks and make better track drivers with all the less weight. But there are now even alum. big blocks being made that shave a ton a weight... but cost an arm and a leg. I'd more than likely stick a new, steel, big block in it and go to town. Ever hear a well set up big block rumble? Its heavenly! Cobra would be a side oiler and the 40... not sure yet.

I have gotten rides in the new Ford GT and I don't care for them. Something seems wrong for a 60's style race car to have the creature comforts and modern interiors of a 2006 car. Don't get me wrong, its MAJOR quick... but I think you can do better for less with a well made aftermarket manufacturer.

I see both style cars on a rare but occassional basis... but both do exist in my area.

Both cars have great racing history... and I would plan to do one up in a decent re-creation of an actual car - GT40 - maybe the Gulf blue and orange Lemans winner. There was a white and blue Cobra that was raced a little... but I love the color combo so much, I could not stray from it... period.

9nineteen - That GT350R of yours is absolutley gorgeous... WOW! Please do a thread on it and give us pics and details... Do you track it? Or just cruise with her?

I LOVE Tig Bitties!
post #15 of 55 Old 10-25-2007, 12:36 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9nineteen View Post
All the real stuff are sitting in museums or in climate controlled garages. I have a friend who came across a Cobra 427 in 1990. He paid a measly $25k for it. Last year, he had it appraised at $900k plus. He also has a 65 GT350 that was appraised at $190k. He's too scared to drive them around. ---A side note. . .my penny a dozen clone was appraised by Hagerty at $35k. Not too bad. And, I can drive mine around without the worries.
Seriously, I wasn't aiming the post at you, or your car. The kits and replicas are still fantastic performers and they attract my attention every time I see them. My point was simply that everyone goes after the Cobra when, in actuality, you see far less of the GT40 replicas. In my book it would be a GT40 hands down. From all the car shows and cruise ins I've been to, the Cobras are always there and they look great. I rarely see a GT on the road though.

post #16 of 55 Old 10-25-2007, 12:36 PM
Aquilifer

I remember being at Jack Loftus Ford in Hinsdale,IL. around 1969 or 70.They had not 1 but 2 427 Cobras and they couldn't get window price for them.If I recall
correctly that was a little under 7K.How many 20 year olds had that much
pocket money and or credit back then.Oh well I probably would have wrecked it
and or killed myself with it.

Later
Rich

post #17 of 55 Old 10-25-2007, 12:48 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

GT40... Ford proving to Ferrari that they shouldn't back out of a deal.

post #18 of 55 Old 10-25-2007, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
BANNED!

Awards Showcase

The were pricey in their day... and when the oil crunch hit.. I have herd stories of guys basically giving them away for peanuts or parking them for years in barns - why so many were found stored!

An uncle of mine likes to tell his story of trying to sell his Hemi Charger and forever couldn't unload it. I think his final sale price in around 1971-2ish was under $1500 and the car was like 2 yrs old and had less than 10K miles! Nobody wanted the damn things... insurance was tightening down and gas started its rise.

Ridge... I think the reason the Cobra is seen so much is that it was such a huge part of American racing back in the day. And for many many years it stood as a benchmark of the top performance car period. I think it held a recond for over 25yrs as the fastest "production" car to go from 0-100-0...

All money aside the perfect garage for me would be both of these, a 69 hemi Charger, and a GT350R clone much like 9nineteens! And NONE of them original! That way when something breaks... you don't need to cry to the insurance man. And how can you not drive them? Impossible....

I LOVE Tig Bitties!
post #19 of 55 Old 10-25-2007, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
BANNED!

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_ryder View Post

EXACTLY!

I LOVE Tig Bitties!
post #20 of 55 Old 10-25-2007, 01:20 PM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorwerks919 View Post
Was it a GT40 or a GT?
u know the answer to that...breakin my ballz

yeah ridge, forgot...maybe it's that scarrrrry pumpkin face avatar

mw, do what you want, but man...it's gotta be love to ride around in a buckboard w/ 700hp or whatever

everytime i ride around in this 57 vette w/ a stroker, slammin over the smallest stuff and gettin out of shape around a turn that a stock porsche takes w/ ease, i gotta wonder, was it worth it for my friend who dumped x-teen zillion bux

me, i search somethin i can kick back, drop the top and listen to the tunes while runnin thru the pines down the shore...a small block cobra setup to run the twisties could do the trick

hemi cuda
hemi charger
401 dual quad 65 riv
401 dual quad 65 gs
68/69 442 ragtop
even, god forbid, the new kit 69 rs 'maro...cause you can get parts for a chevy anywhere...

whatever you choose, make sure it's love cause it's gonna take time and money just like...the real thing

post #21 of 55 Old 10-25-2007, 02:09 PM
Two Wheeled Warlord

GT40 for sure. I've seen 2 real ones. The first one you could have called a bit of a shanker. Purchased by one of Ford's US competitors at the end of it's racing career, studied and ultimately packed away with no result as this was the 70's and a car like that was poison.

Most of you can guess how the rest of the story goes (and it's a true one). After 20 years of storage a bean counter asks why are we wasting space on this thing, get rid of it. Auctioned off with the other leavings for a silly low price and then restored to driving condition.

The second was a restored to show condtion (Pebble Beach style), so it was so nice the guy was scared to drive it. Sold it to start another project.

From the title I though this would be a Camaro/GTO/Mustang poll!

post #22 of 55 Old 10-25-2007, 02:32 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest View Post
. . .

9nineteen - That GT350R of yours is absolutley gorgeous... WOW! Please do a thread on it and give us pics and details... Do you track it? Or just cruise with her?
I did some club time trials with it the first year. Since then, it's become the family's weekend cruiser through the local canyons and for jaunts up the Pacific Coast. I used to have Porsches. . .'70 914-6 GT, '72 911 Carrera RS, and a Tec Art/Gembella tweaked '01 996. But this GT350R, it embarrassingly draws attention from young and old alike.

post #23 of 55 Old 10-25-2007, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
BANNED!

Awards Showcase

Oh its nice looking.... clean like I like em too!

Engine? -Any details?

I LOVE Tig Bitties!
post #24 of 55 Old 10-25-2007, 03:42 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Quote:
Oh its nice looking.... clean like I like em too!

Engine? -Any details?
Nothing special by modern standards. It's a very old-school 289 small block, ported iron heads, mild cam, rollers, Shelby hi-rise, Shelby-spec'd Holley, Doug Thorley Tri-Ys. . .backed by an old school tranny Ford favorite, the Hurst 4-speed top loader. I've been thinking about a Ford Motorsports crate small block for sometime. . .

post #25 of 55 Old 10-25-2007, 04:12 PM
not cro-magnon

Awards Showcase
Donation 

914 6 GT, Carrera RS? That is some fairly rare air right there!... dang I'm a poet.

"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room." - President Merkin Muffley
post #26 of 55 Old 10-25-2007, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
BANNED!

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9nineteen View Post
Nothing special by modern standards. It's a very old-school 289 small block, ported iron heads, mild cam, rollers, Shelby hi-rise, Shelby-spec'd Holley, Doug Thorley Tri-Ys. . .backed by an old school tranny Ford favorite, the Hurst 4-speed top loader. I've been thinking about a Ford Motorsports crate small block for sometime. . .
But still a very solid combo for a fun weekend.

I LOVE Tig Bitties!
post #27 of 55 Old 10-26-2007, 06:27 AM
Praefectus Castrorum

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_ryder View Post
No doubt! Enzo was eatin' a bit of crow, eh?!

Spoiler:
"The list is an absolute good. The list is life."

"What kind'a tires you runnin'?"

post #28 of 55 Old 10-26-2007, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
BANNED!

Awards Showcase

WOW - this is not going the way I thought it would...

Even though I voted GT40 myself!

I LOVE Tig Bitties!
post #29 of 55 Old 10-26-2007, 08:06 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

You could have thrown this in the mix as well

Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.
post #30 of 55 Old 10-26-2007, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
BANNED!

Awards Showcase

As nice as the Daytona Coupes can be... they do nothing for me!

I LOVE Tig Bitties!
post #31 of 55 Old 10-26-2007, 09:45 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
As nice as the Daytona Coupes can be... they do nothing for me!
Just because you need a phone book to see over the steering wheel you don't have to get testy

post #32 of 55 Old 10-26-2007, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
BANNED!

Awards Showcase

Ha ha... funny man!

What did you vote?

I LOVE Tig Bitties!
post #33 of 55 Old 10-26-2007, 09:57 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Ha ha... funny man!

What did you vote?
Voted the Cobra, but having conflicting thoughts at the moment

post #34 of 55 Old 10-26-2007, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
BANNED!

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadogs View Post
Voted the Cobra, but having conflicting thoughts at the moment
Tell me about it... sexy, open air, loud, smelly, hot, fast, and raw

VS

Sexy, enclosed, loud, smelly, hot, fast, and raw

I just cant decide... but the GT40 makes my tummy feel funny when I see it.

I LOVE Tig Bitties!
post #35 of 55 Old 10-26-2007, 12:53 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

Well, not to sway your decision or anything, but if it's that freedom that only a convertible can offer... I can only think of one car that will fit a man of your stature.

Spoiler:

post #36 of 55 Old 10-26-2007, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
BANNED!

Awards Showcase

A miata... ha ha... cute.... funny man!

None of the cars offer the freedom a bike does... and not why I would lean towards convertible over the coupe. Lust factor mostly... and practicality.

Still astonished my the results here...

And drooling over 9ninettens GT350R

I LOVE Tig Bitties!
post #37 of 55 Old 10-26-2007, 04:06 PM
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 

Outta these two cars I would pick the GT40. But it would have to be the 1944 GT40 MK2. With the blue paint and orange stripe. I fell in love with that car when I first layed eyes on it. My first dream car is a 1969 Corvette Stingray. I just love the looks.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
post #38 of 55 Old 10-26-2007, 05:15 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkace625 View Post
Outta these two cars I would pick the GT40. But it would have to be the 1944 GT40 MK2. With the blue paint and orange stripe.

+1

'02 Honda 919 - She's the only one for me!

post #39 of 55 Old 10-27-2007, 02:32 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

For me hands down the GT40. Though I absolutely love the Cobra.

My first love and still is a '63 Split Sting Ray!

post #40 of 55 Old 10-27-2007, 02:36 PM
MuscleCar Nut

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Between the 2 you have given me to choose from...... the Cobra....

by I am a little biased to what I like

Troy
67 Pontiac GTO
2003 Triumph Speedmaster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode