UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

10 minute GL1800 Tire Change

Quote:
PacoJerke:
spoke to 5 different mechanics at 2 different dealerships here in south florida *(one is a level 5 powerhouse and the other is a 5 line dealer) about this amazing feat of skill and speed...all 5 of the techs said you are completely and utterly full of shit with a 10 minute tire change on a wing.......and that the absolute fastest they had heard/seen was more in the 25-30 minute range... IF everything went perfectly.....

not my words.... theirs.... have a nice day....

PacoJerke:
right...you are the greatest tech and manager who ever lived.... you are totally correct... the mechanics who i spoke with all with between 5 and 28 years experience as honda/yamaha techs are incompetent... total idiots... how dare they contradict what you say you can do just because none of them in the combined years of doing the same thing you do have ever seen anyone do what you said you did in over twice the time you say it took you to do it.....

cause no one ever exaggerates on the internet..... right??

you are my hero and the wind beneath all of our wings....i wanna be just like you when i grow up.....
OK........ Now that you've had your little tantrum -

Here in the Show Me state, we had a gentleman arrive in the shop with a flat rear tire, on a "new" Gold Wing GL1800.

End of the day, wanting to blast it out, we did.

The tech rode the bike in onto the lift table, pulled it up on the centerstand, we hit the lug nuts with an impact and the rear wheel was off in well under a minute.

No need to remove the rear fender or anything, remove the lug nuts, rear wheel comes right off, bam, done deal.

Bust the bead, toss on the tire machine, remove old tire. Valve stem is new, not replacing it, saved some time. Tech has lubed the replacement tire, hands it to me, I mount it. To the spin balancer, nailed it the first try. Reinstall on motorcycle and use low torque electric impact to install lug nuts, perform final torque and kick it off -

Under 10 minutes.

To those that want to come in here and call me a liar, you're wrong. You have another agenda, you know it, I know it, everyone knows it.

It's just a benchmark, and it can be done.

I'm sure the Florida mechanics mentioned in another thread could change a GL1800 rear tire in 10 minutes.

Probably quicker, I'm not that great a wrench, but I've changed more than a few GL1800 tires in my day.

It is what it is.

A fact.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 03-19-2010, 05:18 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Personally I think you're wasting your time, but hey, keyboard time is no charge here.

You say you did, others say you didn't. Reposting the same story will do nothing to convince anybody. What it will most likely do is start a bunch of bashing back and forth, in which case I will apply the rules fairly amongst all parties.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #3 of 27 Old 03-19-2010, 05:35 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Just out of curiousity, what year Wing and did it have rear bags?

post #4 of 27 Old 03-19-2010, 06:04 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
Just out of curiousity, what year Wing and did it have rear bags?
If it was a GL1800, it's no older than 2001 and they all have rear bags.

I have an '09 GL1800 and I totally believe this can be done in that time, with the right tools, experience, everything prep'd, and the (required) lift.

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #5 of 27 Old 03-19-2010, 06:05 AM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
Personally I think you're wasting your time, but hey, keyboard time is no charge here.

You say you did, others say you didn't. Reposting the same story will do nothing to convince anybody. What it will most likely do is start a bunch of bashing back and forth, in which case I will apply the rules fairly amongst all parties.
+1 ... except for the part where I can't do anything about it.

post #6 of 27 Old 03-19-2010, 06:08 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post

I have an '09 GL1800 and I totally believe this can be done in that time, with the right tools, experience, everything prep'd, and the (required) lift.
Thanks Ken, was just wondering if bags had to be removed to change the rear tire. My only experience is on my FJR, different beast to be sure.

Superduke
R1200GS
XR650L
post #7 of 27 Old 03-19-2010, 06:12 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

If you have 2 men working 10 minutes a piece, is it still a 10 minute tire change?

I don't really care one way or the other, I'm just stirring the pot.

Never messed with a Wing. Hope I never have to. I will say by far the hardest, most time consuming part of changing a tire on a chain driven bike is getting the wheel off and back on. You have spacers, the brake caliper and chain to deal with, while trying to not scratch the wheel up. But as far as rubber off, rubber on? Two experenced men with the right equipment could do that in less than 5 minutes real easy. I usually slash the tire so I don't have to mess with the valve core.

I was in Fla a few years back. Went with a friend who had the wheel off his ZX12, to the shop to have the tire changed. The "mechanic" started taking the valve cap off to pull the valve core out. I told him to just slash the tire, he'd save time not having to take the valve core out and putting it back in. All he could do is give me a dirty look. *Moral of the little story: Fla mechanics are a little slower than the rest of us.

post #8 of 27 Old 03-19-2010, 06:30 AM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Hopefully Nascar will switch to Goldwings in the near future so you can put this amazing skill to good use.

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #9 of 27 Old 03-19-2010, 07:12 AM
Di"zx"en

Totally believable on a 01-05. More time need on an 06 on up. The 06 on ups have the audio amplifier toward the rear of the bike that needs to be removed from its mounts and repositioned to the side so the tire has clearance to come out of hiding. Having the bike on a lift with a trap door makes life really easy too. A honda tech telling you "NO WAY"...What do you think he's gonna say. You dont think those guys actually give a crap how quickly they can do something for you? If they ever did do a 10min Wing tire change, they would be expected to do it in that time frame always and that isnt happening....It took me about 15 minutes to get my wheel out of its cave the first time on my 06. And that was doing it by the "book" with the bike on its centerstand in my garage. Now there are the nuts that lay their bikes on its side to change the Wings tire....I'll find you a video...Now thats just wrong.

That'll work........
post #10 of 27 Old 03-19-2010, 10:02 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
Thanks Ken, was just wondering if bags had to be removed to change the rear tire. My only experience is on my FJR, different beast to be sure.
the service manager at the level 5 powerhouse dealer here local said and i quote

"that dude needs a job working in nascar......... the BEST tech i have here, busting his ass to get it done would need about 20-25 mins .. thats bike onto the rack, jack under bike, lift up, take lug nuts off, remove rear rim, carry to tire machine, break bead, pull off old tire, put new on, balance it, carry it back, lift rim back into place install lugs, torque, lower bike, lower rack....."

but honestly.... i really don't care whether he did it or not......

it was a nice story....

*(and nice touch on changing my name... altho what you changed it into makes no sense what so ever...)

post #11 of 27 Old 03-19-2010, 10:19 AM
Di"zx"en

YouTube - Changing your rear tire on your GoldWing Motorcycle

I guess whatever works for ya........

That'll work........
post #12 of 27 Old 03-19-2010, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:

Absolutely, thank you.

post #13 of 27 Old 03-19-2010, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97af View Post
Totally believable on a 01-05. More time need on an 06 on up. The 06 on ups have the audio amplifier toward the rear of the bike that needs to be removed from its mounts and repositioned to the side so the tire has clearance to come out of hiding. Having the bike on a lift with a trap door makes life really easy too. A honda tech telling you "NO WAY"...What do you think he's gonna say. You dont think those guys actually give a crap how quickly they can do something for you? If they ever did do a 10min Wing tire change, they would be expected to do it in that time frame always and that isnt happening....It took me about 15 minutes to get my wheel out of its cave the first time on my 06. And that was doing it by the "book" with the bike on its centerstand in my garage. Now there are the nuts that lay their bikes on its side to change the Wings tire....I'll find you a video...Now thats just wrong.
Thank you

post #14 of 27 Old 03-19-2010, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacojerte View Post
the service manager at the level 5 powerhouse dealer here local said and i quote

"that dude needs a job working in nascar......... the BEST tech i have here, busting his ass to get it done would need about 20-25 mins .. thats bike onto the rack, jack under bike, lift up, take lug nuts off, remove rear rim, carry to tire machine, break bead, pull off old tire, put new on, balance it, carry it back, lift rim back into place install lugs, torque, lower bike, lower rack....."

but honestly.... i really don't care whether he did it or not......

it was a nice story....

*(and nice touch on changing my name... altho what you changed it into makes no sense what so ever...)
pacojerke, either your service manager has no clue or he is not being honest with you.

Or both.

Then again, if he said he needed to use a jack, well, to put it simple, you do not need to use a jack. Doh!

It can and has been done, guess you learned something today.

Nice avatar, how typically original of you.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg PacoJerke.JPG (11.3 KB, 72 views)

post #15 of 27 Old 03-19-2010, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post

First, others agree that 10 minutes is a realistic time, that is a given, as I know it can be done in that, I've done it.

And I'm just taking you up on your suggestion -

Quote:
HondaJim: "If you guys who were involved want to have a great Goldwing tire change debate, do it somewhere else in a new thread."
And if you guys want to get into any great rules debate, do it somewhere else in a new thread.

post #16 of 27 Old 03-19-2010, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97af View Post
I'd not lay one on it's side like that, but like you said, whatever works for you.

The guy said he tried Shinko tires and had a failure - I'm not aware of any Shinko that meets the weight/load requirement for a GL1800 -

Tires are one thing GL1800 owners should not ever cheap out on, I've seen too many failures of the wrong tires and/or poorly maintained tires.

Great video, thanks for posting it.

post #17 of 27 Old 03-19-2010, 11:49 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UJM View Post
pacojerke, either your service manager has no clue or he is not being honest with you.

Or both.

Then again, if he said he needed to use a jack, well, to put it simple, you do not need to use a jack. Doh!

It can and has been done, guess you learned something today.

Nice avatar, how typically original of you.
sooooo the table you put the bike on... you know the one that clamps the front wheel??? that doesnt lift up and down??? that is a jack.....

and the service manager in question has been there at that level 5 powerhouse since its opening day and has seen more bikes cross the door than you can imagine...

dude stroke your weiner all you want it will not get any longer....

you exaggerated about the time... get over it...

if you were so special they would pay you more than the $15 a hour we hear you cry about so often....

and as i said... you are my hero... i wanna be just like you when i grow up...

post #18 of 27 Old 03-19-2010, 01:18 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
First, others agree that 10 minutes is a realistic time, that is a given, as I know it can be done in that, I've done it.

And I'm just taking you up on your suggestion -

And if you guys want to get into any great rules debate, do it somewhere else in a new thread.

post #19 of 27 Old 03-19-2010, 03:22 PM
Pilus Posterior

As described I fail to see why it could not be done. No chains etc etc to muck about with and align.

post #20 of 27 Old 03-19-2010, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacojerte View Post
sooooo the table you put the bike on... you know the one that clamps the front wheel??? that doesnt lift up and down??? that is a jack.....

and the service manager in question has been there at that level 5 powerhouse since its opening day and has seen more bikes cross the door than you can imagine...

dude stroke your weiner all you want it will not get any longer....

you exaggerated about the time... get over it...

if you were so special they would pay you more than the $15 a hour we hear you cry about so often....

and as i said... you are my hero... i wanna be just like you when i grow up...
You never could admit you were wrong, could you?

post #21 of 27 Old 03-19-2010, 03:25 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
You never could admit you were wrong, could you?

just about as quick as you are to admit your fulla shit....

post #22 of 27 Old 03-19-2010, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
As described I fail to see why it could not be done. No chains etc etc to muck about with and align.
It can, pacojerke and a couple other trolls just like to prove what idiots they are. They bailed and have their "own" forum - forum for jerkes. They still don't know I'm there!

You know it can be done because it has been done.

Air tools, a lift table (NOT A JACK) , tire machine and a good digital spin balancer, torque wrench, all logistically placed, tools out and ready, piece of cake.

There are a couple tricks you have to do, each and every work enviroment has its own idiocracies, once tuned in, well, with the right attitude, anything is possible.

Sounds like I could make some money traveling around training service techs and managers. Appears to be a market for this type of knowledge and training in Southern Florida.

post #23 of 27 Old 03-19-2010, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
If you have 2 men working 10 minutes a piece, is it still a 10 minute tire change?

I don't really care one way or the other, I'm just stirring the pot.

Never messed with a Wing. Hope I never have to. I will say by far the hardest, most time consuming part of changing a tire on a chain driven bike is getting the wheel off and back on. You have spacers, the brake caliper and chain to deal with, while trying to not scratch the wheel up. But as far as rubber off, rubber on? Two experenced men with the right equipment could do that in less than 5 minutes real easy. I usually slash the tire so I don't have to mess with the valve core.

I was in Fla a few years back. Went with a friend who had the wheel off his ZX12, to the shop to have the tire changed. The "mechanic" started taking the valve cap off to pull the valve core out. I told him to just slash the tire, he'd save time not having to take the valve core out and putting it back in. All he could do is give me a dirty look. *Moral of the little story: Fla mechanics are a little slower than the rest of us.
Good points!

GL1800 is super simple, lug nuts and pull it off. No spacers, no hassle, like a car.

Slash the tire or cut the valve stem off at the base - good strong sharp knife does a quick and nice job, just have to be careful and not scratch the wheel.

I really like the weights on the new wheels, clip on clip off in a way, they rock.

And digital tire balancers, gotta love them.

Maybe I need to get back into that business, on the side......

post #24 of 27 Old 03-19-2010, 03:48 PM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Sounds like I could make some money traveling around training service techs and managers. Appears to be a market for this type of knowledge and training in Southern Florida.
Nah they won't be interested - they would probably rather charge a customer for 30-45 minutes than 10!

Actually writing that reminds me of a local company. They offered 10 minute oil /filter changes for cars. 2 guys on it one spinning the filter the other sucking the oil out and fill up.

Funny thing is everyone I know (me included) thought - 10 minutes ? - they can't be doing it properly. I went and watched one day - nothing wrong with what they were doing at all, just a well organised different technique to the traditional method.

post #25 of 27 Old 03-19-2010, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
Nah they won't be interested - they would probably rather charge a customer for 30-45 minutes than 10!

Actually writing that reminds me of a local company. They offered 10 minute oil /filter changes for cars. 2 guys on it one spinning the filter the other sucking the oil out and fill up.

Funny thing is everyone I know (me included) thought - 10 minutes ? - they can't be doing it properly. I went and watched one day - nothing wrong with what they were doing at all, just a well organised different technique to the traditional method.
good stuff there

On your first point, shops should never charge buy the hour, at least I never did unless the customer demanded it.

I quoted a price, and that was it. Simple and easy, sometimes you win, well, mostly you win.

When someone quotes me a price and I accept it, and I go back and pay what I was told, or less, I'm happy.

And I had a formula that worked extremely well. Simple, had the rates for all the services for every bike. Someone wanted a quote, BAM, there is was.

The key to making money in service is productivity in billable hours.

Warranty hours are good solid billable hours when properly adminstered, I liked warranty work.

Sure, there was some paperwork and sometimes you had to go the extra mile to push it through, but just making a customer happy was something I could not put a price on.

I should get back into service, or maybe consulting.

post #26 of 27 Old 03-19-2010, 04:15 PM
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
It can, pacojerke and a couple other trolls just like to prove what idiots they are. They bailed and have their "own" forum - forum for jerkes. They still don't know I'm there!
I could not care less whether you have super human Goldwing tire changing abilities, but I do care that you continue to act like this forum is yours and yours alone. Dude, you obviously have a lifetime of experience in the motorcycle world, there are a million pics to prove it. Too bad you can't share that experience in a way that doesn't come off as self congratulatory ego stroking, have you ever just tried to have a conversation that you don't dominate?

Superduke
R1200GS
XR650L
post #27 of 27 Old 03-19-2010, 04:46 PM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 

And with that, it's time to lock this up. You know what they say about arguing on the Internet. ..

Life is just too short to spend time bickering about something so trivial, and then making it personal. If you want to fight and insult each other, do it in a private PM.

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode