what kinda helmet lid do you wear usually? any recommendation? - Wrist Twisters
 1Likes

post #1 of 46 Old 08-06-2015, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

what kinda helmet lid do you wear usually? any recommendation?

what kinda helmet lid do you wear usually? any recommendation?

I used to wear HJC and masei helmet.. any others?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 08-06-2015, 08:35 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

I'm a big fan of Shoei, fits my head shape... Can't stand HJC's because they also hurt my forehead... just not the right shape

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #3 of 46 Old 08-06-2015, 11:07 AM
Optio

Garage
I am a big fan of HJC. Currently have the CL17. Fits real well and noise isn't too loud for me. I have a Bell 500 that I wear every now and then, but feel safer in the Full face. Also, the bell is really tight up front but too loose in the back so at speed, it shifts.

Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game.
-Michael Jordan

post #4 of 46 Old 08-06-2015, 11:12 AM
Tirone

I have an arai rxq, no complaints here. If was to get a new one I would look for one with a sun visor, I think shoei has a good one.

post #5 of 46 Old 08-06-2015, 11:52 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
I have an arai rxq, no complaints here. If was to get a new one I would look for one with a sun visor, I think shoei has a good one.
Scorpion have some of the best value for quality helmets. This includes the sun visor on some models.

post #6 of 46 Old 08-06-2015, 12:24 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

I've owned, used, abused, crashed, rashed and retired many many helmets over the years.

AGV
ARAI
Bieffe
Fulmer
HJC
SHOEI
Suomy
Scorpion
Shark
Vemar

They all had their pros and cons, but ultimately I buy helmets for protection and I am always looking for deals as I know as some point it has to be replaced whether from age and use or because I crash tested it.

The ones that I have stuck with are are the Scorpion, Suomy and SHOEI brands.

All my SHOEI's have been noisy, but I like the way they fit. I tend to buy the cheaper ones so they are always heavy compared to the more expensive lighter versions. I just deal with it.

The Scorpion products really impress me. Probably the best value for the dollar in my opinion. Good build quality, nice paint, fit & finish is always nice and they are both fairly light & quiet with good sealing shields and a soft, form fitting interior.

The Suomy not so cheap, but it's like wrapping your head in a silk scarf. I love putting my Suomy on. The feeling is as close to having sex as you can get with your leathers on I can also attest that they crash pretty well. I suffered a concussion last time I crashed in a Suomy, but the helmet looked like it had been through Afghanistan twice so I felt pretty lucky to escape with just a headache and some lingering dizzyness.

The Vemar was the best anti-fogging helmet I have ever used in rainy conditions. Outside of that respect I think it was a pile of shit with plastic vents busting off with the slightest nudge and decals you could feel under the clearcoat etc.

ARAI's are super nice helmets for people with A. super nice bank accounts and B. a particular head shape. I have neither of those...

Fulmer & HJC had always served me well over the years, but they were always more of a backup helmet for me rather than a mainstay of my gear still I cannot really say anything bad about them.

My wife is a huge AGV and SHARK advocate she has used both extensively for years. The AGV is the better helmet, but the value of the Shark helmets is not to be taken lightly either especially if you don't mind buying closeouts or care what color scheme etc to get the really good deals.

I've not tried any of the new Bell helmets, but I have heard good things about them and would love to get my hands on one for testing. I have a hunch they have really upped their game and deserve the marketing hype that has been put on them lately.

post #7 of 46 Old 08-06-2015, 01:09 PM
Left of Centre

I use LS2 for the shape of the shell and its fit on my head and because it's about the only shell that lets me get the arms of my spectacles over my ears...and because it has a built-in sun visor which I find super-convenient

post #8 of 46 Old 08-06-2015, 02:10 PM
Optio

Garage
I have found that I have a long oval head shape which doesn't work well with most helmet brands. The only helmet I've found so far that fits right is the Arai Profile. I didn't want to spend that much money on a helmet but when you find one that fits right it's worth it. Unfortunately Arai no longer make the Profile so I don't know what I'll replace this helmet with when its time.

2016 Honda Africa Twin
2007 Honda 919
1998 Kawi ZX9R (Sold)
post #9 of 46 Old 08-06-2015, 02:27 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

The profile was replaced by the signet

Dan
post #10 of 46 Old 08-06-2015, 02:29 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Interestingly enough, the profile replaced the original signet helmet many years ago

Dan
post #11 of 46 Old 08-06-2015, 03:00 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Shoei XR1100. Love it! Better than my Suomy before that. Quiet, comfy and the anti-fog screen (an extra but well worth it purchase) works really well.

post #12 of 46 Old 08-06-2015, 06:40 PM
Princeps Prior

Shoei gt air. Amazing helemet. I've never had a helmet with such good venting. Built in Seperate sun visor is fantastic

post #13 of 46 Old 08-06-2015, 07:07 PM
I WANNA RIDE!

I like Shoei, Icon and Scorpion.
I tried a Joe Rocket and did not like the fit, feel and noise.
I want to try a Bell.

Four wheels move the body ... two wheels move the soul.
post #14 of 46 Old 08-07-2015, 07:18 AM
duc duc GOOSE!

Currently have a shoei rf1100 which I like. Would like to get a new one for better visibility ( mine is matte black), the rf1200 didn't fit the same, really like the arai defiant, not super sold on the graphics though. Don't like the idea of an internal visor.

14 Ducati Monster 1200, termi's
07 VFR Anniversary Edition-SOLD
02 919-SOLD
01 CBR F4i-SOLD
02 CBR F4i-SOLD
92 Kawi EX 500-SOLD
post #15 of 46 Old 08-07-2015, 08:13 AM
just send it.

Garage
Scorpion EXO-500. Fit's my head, had a built in sun visor, price was right and most important LDH has said good things about Scorpion in the past.
My previous lid was an HTC something and the visor assembly fell apart in less than a year. My Scorpion is in it's 4th season and other than a few scratches on the visor, it's held up well.

[This space for rent]
post #16 of 46 Old 08-07-2015, 02:56 PM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

ARAI RX 7 Corsair works for me. The real selling point is not only fit & finish, but repairs are a snap with the distributor right over in Allentown, PA.

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #17 of 46 Old 08-07-2015, 05:43 PM
notsowisecracker

Scorpion EXO-1000 here. Still haven't found another that fit my head as well, good anti fogging on the face shield, relatively quite. It was replaced by the EXO-1100, which is on clearance all over for pretty good prices.
I think the latest version is the EXO-T1200

About 6 months ago I bought a Built brand helmet from Cyclegear because I liked the built in bluetooth.
Ab-so-lute piece of crap!
It had so much wind noise at speed that you couldn't hear the bluetooth at full volume. Literally so much noise it hurt my ears. I knew going in it was a lower end helmet, but my god, the noise!
Got my money back the day after I purchased it, and bought a universal bluetooth kit for my EXO-1000.

post #18 of 46 Old 08-07-2015, 08:49 PM
Batman

Bell star gen1 retired.
Current is Bell rs1, changed metal helmet latch and visors transferred over.

Im eyeing the shoei gt lines helmet in 2 years when its on sale, but i have no idea if the fit will work.

But seeing ive only put 150 miles on my bike this year so far, a new helmet might not be in the cards...different topic however.

I may not have a lot to say but it doesn't mean I don't listen.
post #19 of 46 Old 08-08-2015, 04:47 AM
I'm going riding.

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Velo, give me a holler next week, we can tune up your odometer

30,000 mile 919 survivor. No plans of stopping the abuse any time soon.
post #20 of 46 Old 08-08-2015, 08:39 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

HJC AC-12 Carbon- 8 years old and still use it from time to time.

Bell Star with a transitions shield- Very Good quality. Had it a few years and it has great ventilation and a lot of good features, the best of which is a lever to slightly crack the shield on really hot days.

I also have a Scorpion EXO-700 that I paid about $100 for. It's a great helmet with excellent quality and a lot of great features, but puts way too much pressure on my forehead to the point of giving me a headache after about an hour of riding. Too bad because I really like it otherwise.

Motorcycle Helmet Shapes - webBikeWorld

post #21 of 46 Old 08-13-2015, 05:58 PM
Imaginifer

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

Shoei Qwest for me. Had a Scorpion Exo-1000 before that and loved the sun shield but it hurt my forehead.

post #22 of 46 Old 08-16-2015, 08:16 PM
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrat View Post
Velo, give me a holler next week, we can tune up your odometer
Dude, i just saw this now. I did actually get on the bike and head to a function in twin valley, so i have 200 miles this year. Yay right? Hottest day of the year and i rode, my friends said i was crazy, i called it a necessary catharsis event.

Ok, are you on an xx now? I just also got done moving into my new home in s. Fargo and have a garage for the first time in over 10 years. Feels nice!

post #23 of 46 Old 08-16-2015, 08:19 PM
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier919 View Post
Shoei Qwest for me. Had a Scorpion Exo-1000 before that and loved the sun shield but it hurt my forehead.
I tried the scorpions on too and that was my same feeling. I reallly want a shoei to try if its better than my bell for fit and quiet. But i feel like an ass trying on helmets locally with no real intent on buying...or getting a better deal online later. Sigh...1st world problems.

post #24 of 46 Old 08-17-2015, 08:24 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

post #25 of 46 Old 08-17-2015, 08:33 PM
Batman

Sigh, yeah. I think next year new lid time. Good deals tho!

post #26 of 46 Old 08-18-2015, 02:24 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Just ordered a new C3, they're on closeout for $500.

post #27 of 46 Old 12-15-2015, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

gold chrome masei helmet .. I had a hard to get a full face helmet in chrome color... I bought it from ebay... shipped from hong kong.. I wonder if masei is a japanese or chinese brand.. the quality is way up than the price paying for...

post #28 of 46 Old 12-16-2015, 05:17 PM
rjw
Tirone

Good helmet information on webbikeworld.com

post #29 of 46 Old 12-20-2015, 04:59 AM
Discen

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeywrench View Post
Scorpion EXO-1000 here. Still haven't found another that fit my head as well, good anti fogging on the face shield, relatively quite. It was replaced by the EXO-1100, which is on clearance all over for pretty good prices.
I think the latest version is the EXO-T1200

About 6 months ago I bought a Built brand helmet from Cyclegear because I liked the built in bluetooth.
Ab-so-lute piece of crap!
It had so much wind noise at speed that you couldn't hear the bluetooth at full volume. Literally so much noise it hurt my ears. I knew going in it was a lower end helmet, but my god, the noise!
Got my money back the day after I purchased it, and bought a universal bluetooth kit for my EXO-1000.
Since June of 2013 I've been wearing a Built Cyclone from Cyclegear in Springfield, PA (store has since moved to Cherry Hill, NJ). I love this thing. Comfortable, low wind noise, sun visor (could be a little bit darker) and not too heavy. Listed for $179, bought it for $79 and never regretted it. Only down side for me was strap seemed a little short. I sewed in the longer one from my old helmet and I couldn't be more satisfied with this helmet.

post #30 of 46 Old 03-01-2016, 07:54 PM
Immune

I don't even wear a motorcycle helmet on my 9er. I wear my G-Force road racing helmet that I bought for track days in my V8 MGB.

post #31 of 46 Old 05-19-2016, 05:38 PM
The Cripple

Bumping this thread. Thinking of a new lid. Leaning towards this: Shark Speed-R Avenger Helmet - Closeout - Motorcycle Superstore. Or maybe get another Scorpion. Not sure yet.

Any recommendations? Must have drop down sun-visor and be on sale/discounted.

post #32 of 46 Old 05-19-2016, 05:58 PM
oops hurts

Garage
A scorpion definitely saved my life once, but it is fairly cheap. I have a rather expensive shoei now, the fit is great and its not heavy. Wont go back to a cheap helmet ever again.

post #33 of 46 Old 05-19-2016, 07:00 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Never had a flip down visor, but I love the transitions face shield on my Bell Star. That Scorpion looks pretty nice!

post #34 of 46 Old 05-20-2016, 07:01 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
Never had a flip down visor, but I love the transitions face shield on my Bell Star. That Scorpion looks pretty nice!
I almost bought a bell for my last helmet solely for that shield.... Shoei offers one for the RF1200 now too

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #35 of 46 Old 05-20-2016, 08:52 AM
The Cripple

Yeah I don't like transition shields for a number of reasons. I'm hard on face shields and like to have cheap replacements. I also want to manual control. I'm leaning towards the shark helmet I posted. That'll be the most I ever spent on a helmet lol. I'll decide in the next few weeks.

post #36 of 46 Old 05-20-2016, 08:58 AM
just send it.

Garage
The EXO-500 was on clearance a while back and was a smoking deal. I need a new visor for mine and a new helmet wasn't that much more than the price of a replacement visor... I know that doesn't help you now... But if you stumble upon something let us know.

[This space for rent]
post #37 of 46 Old 05-20-2016, 09:48 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakerjac View Post
The EXO-500 was on clearance a while back and was a smoking deal. I need a new visor for mine and a new helmet wasn't that much more than the price of a replacement visor... I know that doesn't help you now... But if you stumble upon something let us know.
I know what you mean. My current and previous lid is the scorpion exo-1000 that I picked up for less than $100 each. Really hard to beat that bargain for the quality I got. However, I want to try something a bit more upscale, lighter and with better air flow. That shark lid I linked really has my attention. A visit to the local major dealer may be in order soon to try some stuff on.

post #38 of 46 Old 05-20-2016, 10:22 AM
Centurion

Garage
I have the shark speed r carbon first Gen. Excellent helmet. Nice fit, quite expensive though but looks baller. Has internal sun visor, but the little arm that holds the visor can sometimes come loose. It has a little clip that holds it so if you push the sun visor down too fast it might pop out. Also the little lip that you pull the outside visor is utter crap. Definitely can't fully close or open the visor with your gloves on or off... Meaning that I haven't closed my visor 100% since I got the helmet. But I see they fixed it with the second Gen so it's OK. It is a bit too sporty for the 9er Ie there's a LOT of wind and wind noise when upright. This is a pro for riding during summer because it's quite cool due to the air flow, it is a con during winter cause of cold and long distance riding cause of wind noise. The two cons can be fixed by laying flat on the tank which is probably the position the helmet was design to be ridden in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
Bumping this thread. Thinking of a new lid. Leaning towards this: Shark Speed-R Avenger Helmet - Closeout - Motorcycle Superstore. Or maybe get another Scorpion. Not sure yet. Any recommendations? Must have drop down sun-visor and be on sale/discounted.

post #39 of 46 Old 05-20-2016, 12:26 PM
Centurion

Garage
I just opened up your link. That's the first Gen. Shark speed.

I'd suggest going for the 2nd Gen if you do decide to get it or you'll have to put up with these cons. I'd buy the second Gen if I had a chance. But my next one is going to be an rf1200

post #40 of 46 Old 05-20-2016, 12:55 PM
Centurion

Garage
I'd like to correct myself. It turns out Gen 2 didn't fix these issue either so... Go for the cheapest then :-p

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmin3m View Post
I just opened up your link. That's the first Gen. Shark speed. I'd suggest going for the 2nd Gen if you do decide to get it or you'll have to put up with these cons. I'd buy the second Gen if I had a chance. But my next one is going to be an rf1200

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode