What is a Not-to-Miss location or road West of the Mississippi - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 11 Old 02-25-2010, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

What is a Not-to-Miss location or road West of the Mississippi

Looking for input on places that I shouldn't miss when I go on my ride in May. I plan on hitting all the National Parks, Grand Canyon, Yellowstone and so on. I have at least 2 months to ride with the potential to make it three. I plan on heading West, riding up the PCH to Washington and then heading back East.

Lived in Arizona for a year and got to see Sedona(awesome ride getting there), and the Southern side of the Grand Canyon. Never have really been able to explore West of the Mississippi so anybody with any first hand experience I would greatly appreciate it. Any roads or parks are cool with me. Just want to see as much as possible with the time I will have

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-25-2010, 06:52 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Peak-to-Peak Highway and Trail Ridge road are excellent ones here in Colorado...but there are a butt-load of really good ones here. what's your timeline looking like? be sure to give a shout when your in the area!

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #3 of 11 Old 02-25-2010, 09:55 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Mt St. Helens is amazing. Mesa Verda (sp?) village in southern Colorado is great. A lot of parks in Utah as well. Specificly Zion Canyon.

Spoiler:

post #4 of 11 Old 02-25-2010, 10:58 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

+1 on Mt St Helens. Heard great things and will be riding it this summer! Mt Rainier is also a great ride along with Highway-20 (in WA)

But here are 3 sites you can browse roads in...

MotorcycleRoads.US - Your one-stop resource for great motorcycle roads & trips in the US

Motorcycle Roads & Trips - The Best US Motorcycle Rides & Routes

Roads Index | Motorcycle Roads NorthWest

post #5 of 11 Old 02-25-2010, 11:03 PM
919>food>beer

let me know when you're coming though Az, I live way down south but the canyon is just a few hours north and a great ride for me.

post #6 of 11 Old 02-26-2010, 04:16 AM
UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

When I lived in Flagstaff, Arizona, Sedona was a favorite stop - especially via Schnebly Hill Road, a dirt trail that cut through the eastern canyon wall from the highway to Sedona, what a blast!

North of Flagstaff, the Sunset Crater/Wupatki loop was a montly, if not weekly voyage - much of the route was covered in Easy Rider, beautiful loop, beyond words.

Lockett Meadow was also beyond words - anyway.....

Jerome was neat, as were all the back roads around Prescott and then to the east, the Whilte Mountain area, but that is Arizona -

MOAB and MONUMENT VALLEY are great rides.

Valley of Fire outside Las Vegas, hit Lake Mead and the Hoover dam while you're there. Also, take the strip north to Charleston, head west and do the Red Rock Canyon Loop - again and again and again.

California, the Bay area, I like taking the 84 to the one up to the 92 and then doing some time on the Skyline. The Bay area, Nor-Cal, nice.

This is America, we've got some of the best roads in the best condition, I hope I am able to enjoy them again sometime soon.

If not, I've got great memories.

post #7 of 11 Old 02-26-2010, 05:42 AM
red dirt girl

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration BOTM Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 4

post #8 of 11 Old 02-26-2010, 05:53 AM
CG

+1 on Beartooth. Be sure to go over Beartooth Pass. If possible go west over the pass toward Yellowstone. The drive from Yellowstone down through Grand Tetons is also pretty magnificent and there are some fun bars in Jackson ("Hole") as a final reward going South. In that same area, somewhere south of Jackson on National Forest land is a swimming pool fed by Hot Springs in a really beautiful setting.

Here is a link:
Granite Hot Springs in Wyoming

In CO, try to make it over Red Mountain Pass between Ouray and Silverton in SW CO. Incredible road. Be careful. No guard rails and some serious drops. While in the area, Silverton is a blast. It's an old mining town at 9,000 feet elevation. Plenty of places to eat & drink. Rent a jeep at Silver Summit or Triangle and go over Imogene Pass - 13,000 feet! Awesome. If you want some whitewater, do the upper Animas - class 5!

Can I come? Kidding.....................

post #9 of 11 Old 02-26-2010, 08:19 AM
Immune

Do not forget "Pacific coast Highway" It is as far West as you can go without getting you feet wet. and the scenery is absolutely breathtaking

post #10 of 11 Old 02-26-2010, 08:30 AM
post #11 of 11 Old 02-26-2010, 11:16 PM
Optio

If you're riding from Georgia, hit some of the great roads in Arkansas and then Talimena Scenic Drive from Mena, Ark., across southwest Okla. Beats boring I-40 any time. Once you wind up on I-40 (and you will wind up on I-40), take it to Tucumcari, NM, and get off the beaten path with NM104 to Las Vegas, NM. One of the coolest, loneliest stretches of the "Old West" you will see. When you reach Las Vegas, NM, take 518 north to Rancho de Taos. Treat yourself to a night in Taos. Cool place. From there, head north to Colo. and some of the already mentioned great roads.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode