Westward swing trip report - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 16 Old 06-18-2007, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Westward swing trip report

Some of you know I take at least a trip a year with my best bud from Atlanta. We been doing this for over 20 years. For the 2nd year in a row we've had to knock it off early due to family issues. Last year it was his dad's health, and this year I lost a brother in law while on the trip.

On to the report and pics:
Days - 7 (we had planned on 11)
GPS logged mileage - 3,266
Odo mileage from bike - 3,420

States:
Kentucky (hey, I live there but it still counts)
Indiana
Illinois
Wisconsin
Minnesota
South Dakota
Wyoming
Colorado
New Mexico
Texas
Oklahoma
Arkansas
Tennessee

Things I learned:
There's a lot of Hooters to eat at.
People tend to migrate to loaded motorcycles when you're stopped. They ask where you're going, where you've been, where you're from, and the main thing was how to get somewhere. I spent a lot of time pulling out the atlas and using the GPS to give people directions.
The interstates in southern Minnesota are freeze bulged terribly.
South Dakota has some beautiful roads and some great scenery.
There ain't **** in Wyoming.
The Rocky Mountains are cool.
The states with the worst wind are Arkansas and Texas.
The worst bugs were Wisconsin, Minnesota and South Dakota.
Illinois toll roads suck. Stay away from Chicago. I knew better since I've been there a few times. Stop and pay a $.15 cent toll, ride on crappy roads, stop and pay a $1.50
toll, repeat every four miles until you're totally pissed while moving at 20 MPH on a Saturday.
You can haul ass out west and nobody cares.
A fairly new BMW will need oil in Denver after hauling ass out west.
A cramp buster and a Corbin saddle are your friend.
Although I only had to use it coming out of Denver, one of the Aerostich slip-on finger squeege things is pretty handy.
A 9er can run at 100 MPH loaded for an entire tank and not miss a beat.
Metzler Roadtec tires can make this trip and come home looking like they did when they left. Never had to add air. The bike and tires performed flawlessly.

The starting mileage on the odometer. The bike now has 18,914:

A really busy multibike dealer on a Saturday. I think this was in Wisconsin:

The 50 foot tall Jolly Green Giant in Blue Earth, MN. Notice the people standing between his legs for height reference. Shortly after this we passed the Spam museum:

784 miles the first day. Spent the night in Fairmont, MN. Woke up the next morning and took this pic of the parking lot next door. The signs to the left of the truck and to the right of the van says "No parking between these signs."
Mmmmmkay:

There used to be Sinclair stations around Louisville when I was a kid. Hadn't seen one in years and didn't know they were still in business:

There's some open country in these here parts:

Lots of open country:

The Badlands. This place is fascinating. Parts of it don't even look real:

We stopped in Wall, South Dakota. The drug store is like "See Rock City" of the west. Signs everywhere. It's actually a pretty neat little town. Ate at the Badlands Bar and toured the town for awhile. This is my buddy. His wife is a multi-millionaire, that's why he's smiling.

These guys were stoned. I saw a booger in Abe's nose:

They got one of these for every state on columns at the entrance:

We spent the night at Hot Springs, SD. Had to bluff a buffalo nose to headlight to get past him about 10 miles out of town. Hot Springs is pretty nice, but they roll up the carpet at 9PM.

Trucked through Wyoming the next day to Denver. Man, is Wyoming a desolate state. Miles and miles of telephone lines and no one to answer the phone. Had these weird fences leaning at a 45 degree angle on the western side of the road that ran for miles (like 25 - 30 miles at a time). We were later told they were to stop the snow drifts.

Got to Denver and planned on hubbing out of there for a few days. Wanted to ride the Rocky Mountains and some of the local roads. That's when I found out my brother in law had passed away. My sister lives in Houston, so we decided to move on to Amarillo, Texas the next day. That would put me within 600 miles of Houston if I had to make the run.

They had lived in Memphis and Tampa, and since my brother in law wanted to be cremated and that would allow flexible planning for people to arrange to get to Houston, she decided to hold a ceremony the following weekend (this coming Friday), so we turned east and headed out. Hooked up with Route 66 along the way:

We saw these windmills through Wisconsin, Minnesota, Texas and Arkansas. They would sometimes stretch out for miles. Easy to understand given the wind we fought at times:

There were a lot of smaller irrigation windmills that would feed water to farms, or feed troughs for cattle to drink from.

The Pyramid at Memphis. Our origianl route would have brought us back through Kansas and Missouri. I wanted to stop at the geohraphical center of the lower 48 states located in Kansas, and my buddy had never been up in the arch in St. Louis so we were going to hit that. The run to Texas has us rerouting a bit:

We routed to the Natchez Trace for awhile. IMO, not as nice as the Blue Ridge Parkway, but still a nice ride:

The GPS rolling over 3000 miles:

I'll leave you with one more. Notice the snow on the Rocky Mountains in the reflection:

All in all it was a great trip. I obviously wish I could have spent a few days around the Rockies, Denver and Pueblo. Some other time.

Spent a whole day cleaning the bike, cleaning the chain (which I did lube every 500 miles thank you), and changing the oil/filter. I didn't clean a thing on the bike while gone. It was absolutely the nastiest motorcycle I have ever owned. It's all good now though.

Hope you enjoyed.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-19-2007, 03:52 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 6

Excellent! Great report, green with envy.
Your buddy should expect the GS to use oil up to 8000 miles, afterwhich everything tightens up and it wont burn anymore. Then he's good to go for 100K or more.

In a couple years, after this motard thing is out of my system, I'll be back to a GS or maybe even a Goldwing and I'll be right there with you guys.

post #3 of 16 Old 06-19-2007, 04:12 AM
my2ndhornet

Good story there Jim. Enjoyed the photos too m8.
I haven't been east of Vegas so a nice little geography lesson there too.
(condolences for your sister dude)

Candy Red
2005-CB900F

post #4 of 16 Old 06-19-2007, 04:22 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Very nice Jim. I'd love to ride out to the Badlands one of these days.

post #5 of 16 Old 06-19-2007, 04:51 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 

Thanks for the excellent trip report Jim. Yet another glowing testimonial for the 919.
Once again, my deepest condolences.

post #6 of 16 Old 06-19-2007, 05:13 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Thanks for the story Jim. Those of us that can't get away for extended trips are lucky enough to live through ones like yours.

I still think the Tuono will be a decent tourer with a Corbin, and throttlemeister.

post #7 of 16 Old 06-19-2007, 05:36 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Great ride report, the pictures sealed the deal. This yet again reinforces my belief that the 919 is one of the greatest all-around bikes you can buy today.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #8 of 16 Old 06-19-2007, 06:53 AM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Great pics and report, wish you could have hung around CO long enough to check out the mountain roads and Scenery. You are right about the Badlands, my dad's ranch is situated in the Badlands on the little missouri river, its like a time warp to another planet, very cool & about the best(and only scenery) in ND

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #9 of 16 Old 06-19-2007, 09:18 AM
BANNED!

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Excellent ride and report Jim!

I am green with envy!

I'd love to do something like that every year!

I LOVE Tig Bitties!
post #10 of 16 Old 06-19-2007, 09:57 AM
Dang

Taking pics while riding? Let me guess, you talk on the cell phone too!

post #11 of 16 Old 06-19-2007, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston919er View Post
Taking pics while riding? Let me guess, you talk on the cell phone too!
Nope, but my buddy installed an autocomm for this trip. He had it all, MP3, GPS and cell. Funny thing is, I'm on Nextel and he's on Cingular, and neither one of us had cell reception from Rushmore to close to Denver.

I want to put some kind of camera mount on next trip. There's so many pictures I missed that would have been great.

I do have a bluetooth wireless headset in the helmet, and was able to scab off his GPS audio if I wanted.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #12 of 16 Old 06-19-2007, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Downloading the GPS tracks now. Just realized I left out Oklahoma.

Anyway, here's the map of the actual tracks from the GPS. Strange how the total track shows 3,402 miles, which is closer to what the odo read (3,420) and is along the lines of what my buddies GPS logged for that portion:

And here is the elevation. Pretty easy to tell when we were in Colorado:

post #13 of 16 Old 06-20-2007, 02:46 PM
Living the dream

Great trip Jim.

And I can tell you guys Jim's buddy is a great guy. We have had the chance to meet him a few times.
post #14 of 16 Old 06-21-2007, 01:29 AM
Tired of Tirone

That's a nice big circle.

Looks like a bunch 'o' fun.

post #15 of 16 Old 06-21-2007, 08:17 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 
Total Awards: 1

totally cool looking trip!!

post #16 of 16 Old 06-21-2007, 08:32 AM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

You were about 50-60 miles from my house at one point. If I would have known I would have rode with you guys for a bit.

MN has the worst roads, as you have noted.

That was a good read. Again, I'd like to tag along for a few hundred miles sometime.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode