Time for a road trip! Need advice from NY & New England brethren - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 05-28-2014, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 2

Time for a road trip! Need advice from NY & New England brethren

Well, it's that time of the year again to rack up thousands of miles on my bike over a couple butt-numbing weeks. Need some help from my NE brethren (and sisters) to alert me to can't miss sights and roads in that neck of the woods.

Every year I go out to the Outer Banks of NC to spend a week at the beach with my fam. I try to piggyback a motorcycle trip onto it with one of my east-coast buddies. Last year we did Deals Gap followed by the entire Blue Ridge Parkway before I headed to NC. This year, I am able to take a whole week for the MC trip, so we're heading north.

I'll be meeting him in central/northwest Pennsylvania (near St. Marys) then heading across PA on Rt-6, and then up into upstate NY finger lake area. We're in the initial stages of route planning, but before we get too far, I wanted to get the can't miss roads or scenery up in that area. My initial take is to try to hit all the New England states in one trip. Lots of miles, not much time to do anything other than ride. Hitting every state is not paramount though. I would like to tune this to avoid missing awesomeness...any ideas?

Initial thoughts: This goes as far into ME as Bangor...not sure we actually want to do that, but we're both big Stephen King fans so seems silly to go all the way there without visiting Bangor. https://goo.gl/maps/U27Dy

Another option not hitting all the NE states. https://goo.gl/maps/veoFa

Thanks in advance for tips! I know you guys will come through for me

My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all.
- Stephen Hawking
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-28-2014, 09:19 AM
Discen

On your first route, you have to try the Cancamagus Highway (route 112) near Lincoln
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/St+M...22!2m1!1b1!3e0

On your second route option, forget Waterbury (unless you plan to get some Heady topper beer hmmmmmm) and go through route 17
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/St+M...15!2m1!1b1!3e0

post #3 of 8 Old 05-28-2014, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by carotman View Post
On your first route, you have to try the Cancamagus Highway (route 112) near Lincoln
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/St+M...22!2m1!1b1!3e0

On your second route option, forget Waterbury (unless you plan to get some Heady topper beer hmmmmmm) and go through route 17
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/St+M...15!2m1!1b1!3e0
Awesome tips, thanks! Waterbury was for the obligatory Ben & Jerry's stop, but now that you told me that's where Heady Topper is, I may have to ensure I make it there. I've heard of its legendary deliciousness.

My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all.
- Stephen Hawking

post #4 of 8 Old 05-28-2014, 10:34 AM
Yoshis=me smiling

I like the second rt. Rt 100 is a nice ride. To bad you couldn't get over into NH too and hit the cangamagnus. Good luck with your plans. New England has some nice riding.

02' 919
85' cb450 (wife's)
78' cb550 project
84' z50r son's
09 trx90 daughter's
post #5 of 8 Old 05-28-2014, 11:05 AM
Tesserarius

avoid highways

haven't done longer trips yet, but if it were me, I would only get on an interstate if i wanted to get from A to B asap. I'd try to stick to state roads so as to still make decent time without getting too lost.

post #6 of 8 Old 05-28-2014, 06:38 PM
Discen

Waterbury is a must then if you want to see Ben & Jerry's and grab some beer

You can also try the "Bear Notch Road" near the 112.

post #7 of 8 Old 05-29-2014, 11:25 AM
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 12

You're passing through Ithaca, NY and make sure to stop there for a meal. That city has a very diverse selection of good eats in the Ithaca commons and collegetown area near Cornell University. You can also take a side trip off the bike and walk through some of the gorges.

When in NH, go south on 16 from Gorham and climb Mt Washington. The road going up is pretty nice and the view is supposed to be great on a clear day. I went up there last year on the 919.

Along your way back into NY, you'll be crossing over the Bear Mountain Bridge onto the west side of the Hudson river. Instead of going north on 9W, go south and then hang a right onto Seven Lakes Drive. This will take you up the side of Bear Mountain along a great twisty stretch and then you can go up on Perkins Memorial Drive to the top of Bear Mountain. It's a popular day trip for NYC riders as this these are the closest "twisties" excluding highway offramps within 50 miles of the city.

After Bear Mountain, continue on Seven Lakes Drive west where it will then dip south into Harriman State Park. Head south along the lakes and then go West on Rt 106 for more twisties. Rt 106 will reconnect with 17A and you can continue your route as planned. Emerald Point restaurant next to Greenwood lake just off your route on 17a is a popular lunch spot for motorcyclists.

If you plan on going into NYC, I could show you around a bit. Also, if you're going to be around Bear Mountain on a weekend, I might be able to come up and take you on more of those roads.

Hope you enjoy your trip!

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

49/50 visited on two wheels. 1 more to go!
post #8 of 8 Old 05-29-2014, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sckill View Post
You're passing through Ithaca, NY and make sure to stop there for a meal. That city has a very diverse selection of good eats in the Ithaca commons and collegetown area near Cornell University. You can also take a side trip off the bike and walk through some of the gorges.
[ snip ]
Thanks man, awesome advice! Will definitely check out Ithaca, I have a friend that lives in that general area, will ask for advice about good eats. Will check out some of those roads that you recommend. Cheers

- Stephen Hawking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode