the Seattle afternoon escape (with timelapse) - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 4 Old 05-21-2013, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
'04, Matte Uranium

the Seattle afternoon escape (with timelapse)

I knock western WA frequently. I no doubt bore the locals with tales of the Appalachians - lamenting WA's lack of twisty two-lane byways and backroads cutting through the wilderness out here... there just aren't that many great riding roads in such a scenic state. And the ones that do exist? They're only open 4 months a year and are usually choked with squids, cruisers, and Vanagons on the weekends.

But man... I forget how great they are when they are open. What WA doesn't have in quantity, it makes up for in scenery.

In one afternoon, you can leave the waterfront of Seattle, rocket out through the forest and over Snoqualmie Pass via I-90, cut east into the farms and deserts of central WA, head south for 30 miles on a wonderfully fast, twisty canyon road, then cut west again, climbing 6,000' to the twisty passes near Mt. Rainier (which, I always like to point out, is a f*ing volcano), then glide down into the farms and suburbs, eventually back into the city - all before rush hour hits.

There are other ways to do this (Stevens Pass, Vantage, North Cascades, Mountain Loop Highway, Cayuse Pass, etc), but this one worked very well yesterday to start the "open season" off right. I haven't ridden much in the last few years (a variety of reasons), but this year I'm really looking forward to getting back into it full-force. Having a bike as versatile as the 919 is a big part of that.

The timelapse rig is a Ricoh pocket cam with a nice wide angle lens for pt. 1 and a GoPro 3 for pt. 2 - frankly, I prefer the Ricoh. Still tinkering, though.

ride timelapse link (Vimeo) :
ride timelapse, 5-20-2013

the 919 on Chinook Pass by jeffconlin, on Flickr

Chinook Pass pano by jeffconlin, on Flickr

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-22-2013, 12:38 AM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

But it always rains here so don't come to our state. Lol

(just nod)

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #3 of 4 Old 05-22-2013, 07:04 AM
Discen

A very nice write-up! I lived in Redmond for 25 years plus or minus, and seems like you have a good handle up on the places to go.... the Granite falls area makes for a decent ride, and if you dont mind winding south for a bit - you can head to the Tacoma Narrows and come north, towards Bremerton, or continue West towards Shelton, and then make a run north and grab one of the ferrys back into Seattle.

It doesnt hold the same feeling of ESCAPE that you get when you clear Issaquah and head out past Highpoint and climb toward Fall City -- but its a good ride just the same.

Also, remember the Issaquah-Hobart road makes a nice cut-through to stay off I-90 - use Issaquah FRONT STREET, and you can get over to SR 18 at Tiger Mountain and gain the other passes without having to use Snoqualmie Pass.

post #4 of 4 Old 05-22-2013, 09:36 PM
Cornicen

Love the write-up, pics and video. The time lapse almost made me barf not having something stationary to follow! But great job and effect.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode