That's what Sundays are meant for! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 11 Old 08-16-2009, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

That's what Sundays are meant for!

We were supposed to be in Iowa this weekend playing with our dual sports, but I had to cancel the trip for business reasons. Decided we'd spend today on two wheels here instead. Beautiful summer's day in Indiana with temps in the upper 80's and bright blue sky, perfect day to ride!

Filled up in the hood to start the trip, when we filled up later in the day the 919 had gotten a respectable 46mpg and Gin's 599 got an incredible 62mpg!

It was a day of detours, I'd mapped out a flexible route to take us towards Oldenburg in eastern Indiana again. Immediately as we headed out of town we ran into SR52 closed for construction. No problem, we took the scenic route instead, nice thing about Indiana compared to Iowa is that even the one lane country roads are paved instead of graveled.

Finally made it back to 52 and continued on our way through Rush County towards Connersville. I love the contrast that an hour's ride from the city makes. I also love barns!

Stopped for lunch in Connersville at the Chrome Grill, perfect little diner with a great 1/2lb burger!

Headed out of Connersville down Hwy 1, beautiful curvy road. Stopped by Brookville Lake and took a rest break.

Rode through Metamora, charming little old fashioned village, full of shops and bed and breakfast inns. Cool covered bridge on the edge of town.

Took 229 from Metamora to Oldenburg, has to be one of twistiest roads in that part of the state. Stopped at one of Oldenburg's German pubs for a well deserved cold beer.

Warsteiner and Warsteiner Dunkel on tap, gotta love it!

Hopped on I-74 next for a high speed run back to Indy. Stopped for gas about 30 miles out of the city and had a kindly motorist tell us there was a huge wreck just ahead and the interstate was closed down and backed up for miles. Detoured again, that 30 miles back to the city turned into another two hours of riding as we wound our way back through the country.

Our detour came across another closed road, detour of a detour of a detour! iPhones are handy when you're in the middle of nowhere and a bit confused about your options.

Finally found our way back to the city, took off at 10:30am this morning, tucked the bikes away at 8pm tonight. Didn't break any speed records, took our time to go 225 miles but isn't that what Sundays are for?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-16-2009, 08:49 PM

Great day out.

Great ride report mate. Also great pics of a great land. And the most dangerous encounter you had was with that burger.
I've got a question for you. What do you think of the carbon HJC helmet?

post #3 of 11 Old 08-16-2009, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pist-N-Broke View Post
Great ride report mate. Also great pics of a great land. And the most dangerous encounter you had was with that burger.
I've got a question for you. What do you think of the carbon HJC helmet?
We were talking this evening how much we've come to love our adopted state of Indiana. Gin was born in Ohio, I was born in Iowa, both similar to here but not quite exactly the same. The farm land and rolling hills of eastern and southern Indiana are just about as scenic as you'll find in the midwest.

We did have a great day, and for once no one tried to kill us, it was an entirely drama free ride!

We both like the HJC AC12 CF helmets. They actually spoil you for other helmets by being so light, everything else feels like a weight strapped to your head. They're a bit noisy, but earplugs take care of that. Venting works ok, not the breeziest but the visor can be cracked open even at speed and it gives you plenty of air. Visor is very easy to swap out too, one of the better designs I've seen.

post #4 of 11 Old 08-17-2009, 06:09 AM
Isn't That Somethin'

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

What a great way to spend a Sunday!!!

UT VIVANT ALII...SO OTHERS MAY LIVE
post #5 of 11 Old 08-17-2009, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Gin's not going to be able to ride for a week or two and wanted to get some serious seat time in yesterday, think we accomplished that goal!

post #6 of 11 Old 08-17-2009, 09:08 AM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Awesome pics and ride Scott. Beautiful scenery, love the old Barns and Covered Bridge.

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #7 of 11 Old 08-17-2009, 10:00 AM
What's a 919?

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Nice pics and write-up Scott. I'd have to agree about 229, it's a great road! I was wanting to stop at Wagner's when I was in Oldenburg a few weeks ago, but settled for the Perlen Strasse Pub. But any city with Warsteiner Dunkel on tap is a destination for me! Where was that covered bridge at? I didn't seem to come across that when I was down there.

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-17-2009, 10:02 AM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Jealous with envy that you two get to ride so often in such beautiful countryside!
I like Gin's jacket, what kind is it? I noticed she has a matching one for the thumper too. Both the red and yellow are very bright and visible.

post #9 of 11 Old 08-17-2009, 10:07 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 
Total Awards: 2

Looks like a great day and a great ride ! I gotta admit, you got me good when you mentioned the Warsteiner , IMO , there are too many beers as good as thier Dunkel -

post #10 of 11 Old 08-17-2009, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboStraub 919 View Post
Nice pics and write-up Scott. I'd have to agree about 229, it's a great road! I was wanting to stop at Wagner's when I was in Oldenburg a few weeks ago, but settled for the Perlen Strasse Pub. But any city with Warsteiner Dunkel on tap is a destination for me! Where was that covered bridge at? I didn't seem to come across that when I was down there.
We had a beer at the Perlen Strasse the first time we visited Oldenburg, were drawn to Wagner's this time by the line up of bikes outside. They're famous for their family style fried chicken, we didn't have any but were definitely tempted by the huge plates piled high that were being served all around us.

The covered bridge is off Hwy 52 on the east end of Metamora, right next to the historic Whitewater Canal site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myztical View Post
Jealous with envy that you two get to ride so often in such beautiful countryside!
I like Gin's jacket, what kind is it? I noticed she has a matching one for the thumper too. Both the red and yellow are very bright and visible.
Yeah, she's quite the color coordinated rider! They're First Gear mesh jackets, I have a black one as well, they breathe great on hot days and still provide good protection with back padding and shoulder/elbow armor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ohno View Post
Looks like a great day and a great ride ! I gotta admit, you got me good when you mentioned the Warsteiner , IMO , there are too many beers as good as thier Dunkel -
Mmmm, Dunkel!

We could have easily sat there and had two or three of those giant frosty mugs, but since we were 75 miles from home on our bikes we were good and only had the one.

post #11 of 11 Old 08-24-2009, 05:17 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Havn't been on WT for a few days, so only saw this now. Thanks for sharing, I always like to see what riding's like in your (US) neck of the woods!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode