Team Alaska Section - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 63 Old 09-30-2007, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 6

Team Alaska Section

Created dedicated section for planning the 2008 Alaska Adventure.

Members who are interested in participating as a rider, helping plan the ride or offering support along the way are encouraged to speak up. You'll be given access to a private section where details of the trip preparations will be discussed.

This section will chronicle our preparation and the trip as it unfolds.

If you've done a ride into Alaska we'd love to hear from you and learn from your experiences.

Team Alaska 2008 - more to come.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 Old 09-30-2007, 02:22 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

If you need a host along the way stop by. Or if you need some help while in the area. Or if you need another rider. It's the only state I haven't been to, but I don't know if I'll have the bike I want to do it next year.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #3 of 63 Old 09-30-2007, 03:34 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

So, will we need to choose the Alaska Trip or the Cali dirt track trip?

post #4 of 63 Old 09-30-2007, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

not from my perspective. I'd planned on doing both. Only you and James expressed interest in Supercamp so if you guys would prefer to do Alaska we could forget about Supercamp, if not I'm up for both.

post #5 of 63 Old 09-30-2007, 05:53 PM

Knock knock.........uh Kevin I made it!!!

(newbie status all over again....)

Tfunk

post #6 of 63 Old 09-30-2007, 06:31 PM
Signifer

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 2

Is this a street trip or a dualsport trip? Sounds like fun if it is street...are you planning on riding there and then ride there or meeting there and renting bikes? Before saying I'm in, I would like some more info, but I am really interested.

Shawn

post #7 of 63 Old 09-30-2007, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Site Founder

Awards Showcase

Personally I see the experience as the ride but that's not to exclude anyone in any way.

For me there's a great accomplishment to go from the most southeastern state to the most northernwestern state. I'm figuring some 18-20 days is about all I can devote to it.

We still need to pick a destination and the perfect time to do this. I'm thinking July / August and I plan on doing it the hard way, camping, roughing it.

post #8 of 63 Old 09-30-2007, 07:20 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 
Total Awards: 1

hmm... sounds fun but prolly don't have the vacation time but interested!!! Details details details!! roughing it or hotels ??? adventure bikes only?? been thinking of one of those....hummm...

post #9 of 63 Old 09-30-2007, 07:45 PM

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Depending what route and how far up Alaska you go. You would only want adventure type bikes.

It would be interesting if we could have several KLR's, it would help with spares and support. Maybe it could be set up like the H-D Centennial ride. Where there are several point up or match up spots. You may start the tour off with a few, but as it progresses. You have many. It would be nice just to have some for only a part of the trip also.

I'm okay with Supercamp and the tour. Things are stable again and I'm up for it.

Okay, now to replace one in the stable with a KLR. Anyone want to buy a bike? Grey market Transalp? Hmmm...

post #10 of 63 Old 09-30-2007, 10:47 PM
Two Wheeled Warlord

Well I'm between you folks and where you're headed so put me in as a way point if your route comes close. I'm guessing you're aiming for the Alaska Hwy?

post #11 of 63 Old 09-30-2007, 11:39 PM
Discen

I was contemplating an Alaska road trip on my 919 camping out on the way.. It is too long though to ride both ways on vacation (or my vacation too short ;().. I was thinking about catching a ferry to Oregon on the way back, but did not look into details yet..

post #12 of 63 Old 10-01-2007, 05:18 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Got a time frame for out there and back?

post #13 of 63 Old 10-01-2007, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
Site Founder

Awards Showcase

Minimum 2 weeks but no more than 3.

post #14 of 63 Old 10-01-2007, 06:30 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quick Mapquest

Tampa, FL to Anchorage, AK (which isn't very far into Alaska) round trip is 9,661 miles. Divide by 21 days = 460 miles/day.

I know that's a Mr. Obvious, but it gives some perspective.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #15 of 63 Old 10-01-2007, 06:51 AM

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
Quick Mapquest

Tampa, FL to Anchorage, AK (which isn't very far into Alaska) round trip is 9,661 miles. Divide by 21 days = 460 miles/day.

I know that's a Mr. Obvious, but it gives some perspective.
Isn't he best road from Anchorage to Fairbanks? I would think the Juneuno-Anchorage-Fairbanks-Juneuno Loop would be highlight? But, what do I know.

post #16 of 63 Old 10-01-2007, 06:53 AM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

If you are just planning on getting to southern AK, IE Anchorage area you should be fine on any type of streetbike, although you may need extra fuel for some stretches. If you plan on going up the dalton highway or some of the more rugged areas of alaska, Adventure bikes or a dual sport will be a must. I do have a contact in wasilla alaska, I can get in touch with see if he would be willing to give any support.

Have you guys contacted Bucky, our AK member for his thoughts??

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #17 of 63 Old 10-01-2007, 07:01 AM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 

Actually you should be fine on the pavement as far north as fairbanks, Dalton highay turns to gravel somewhere north of there. I have seen guys on adventure style bikes as far north as Prudhoe bay. Public access to the arctic ocean is only thru the Oilfied roads, and hence you must take a tour bus to actually get the last few miles from Prudhoe bay to the ocean. Its kind of a neat 2 hour tour though, takes you around the begining of the AK pipeline, and some of the facilities. Guarenteed you will see hundreds of caribou and probably some bears up there.

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #18 of 63 Old 10-01-2007, 07:37 AM

Hey Jetblast, just checkin in over here....My parents are north of seattle and could be a meeting place before heading into the great north...

post #19 of 63 Old 10-02-2007, 10:41 AM
Hastatus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Jesus, what an adventure this will be. I'm freaking jealous as hell.

I've been wanting to get to Alaska for a long time!

+ $5

post #20 of 63 Old 10-02-2007, 11:10 AM
Twisted Wrister

I'm from Alaska. Born and raised. I still have a place/family there. You would be welcome to stay in Fairbanks and have a " home base " to come and go out of. If nothing else, you would have a support system in place in the event you needed one. Mi casa, su casa.

post #21 of 63 Old 10-02-2007, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Site Founder

Awards Showcase

Thanks Ben!

post #22 of 63 Old 10-02-2007, 11:19 AM
Twisted Wrister

No worries. Even if you can't get a group together, if you ever take the family ect. the offer stands. I'd be more than happy to help with details.

post #23 of 63 Old 10-02-2007, 01:44 PM

Awards Showcase

The question with Alaska is ... is there enough time? Obviously an incredible experience. Is there really going to be enough participants with enough time?

On a side note. In a time period of a few days, say 6-10 days. We could do a Nurburgring trip and adventure the Alps? Just a thought?

post #24 of 63 Old 10-02-2007, 01:49 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51_CBRXX View Post
The question with Alaska is ... is there enough time? Obviously an incredible experience. Is there really going to be enough participants with enough time?

On a side note. In a time period of a few days, say 6-10 days. We could to a Nurburgring trip and adventure the Alps? Just a thought?
And we could fund this how?

post #25 of 63 Old 10-02-2007, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Site Founder

Awards Showcase

that's raising the stakes to a level I can't play.

post #26 of 63 Old 10-02-2007, 02:07 PM

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner View Post
And we could fund this how?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblast10 View Post
that's raising the stakes to a level I can't play.
What's the budget for Alaska? Well, let me back up a moment. What are we looking at for a participant headcount? If there are enough participants and enough time, it's a no brainer Alaska!

But, if only say a few participants and not enough time. What's an alternative? For a few, I'm looking at having more than enough miles by next summer with the amount of travel I'll be doing. I'll make certain to try to keep it to one airline, say American or Delta (they have the most partner flights to europe). The only true expense would be a bike rental. Hotels or roughing it could be done on the cheap. As a treat, I would have more than enough point for a few night in some great global hotel chains.

Just a thought. The Alaska trip would still be number 1.

post #27 of 63 Old 10-02-2007, 02:19 PM
Twisted Wrister

Ok, Ship the bikes to Seattle or Vancouver. Load them up on the ferry. You can camp (tent) on the ship deck. Upon landing Haines, Alaska get on the bike and go kick some ass. Best of all worlds. The boat ride from Vancouver to AK is killer. Second to none. By camping on the boat, you will save alot of coin and time. I've Driven the Alaska Hwy several times and it can, in some parts, be hard on you and the bike. The Cassiar Hwy runs along the coast and would take less time than the AK Hwy. The ferry is the way to go!

post #28 of 63 Old 10-02-2007, 02:24 PM
Twisted Wrister

........Then on to Whitehorse in the Yukon, then on to Dawson City(look it up)via the Taylor Hwy. Holy sh$t whata great ride. Man.......

post #29 of 63 Old 10-02-2007, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Site Founder

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51_CBRXX View Post
What's the budget for Alaska? Well, let me back up a moment. What are we looking at for a participant headcount? If there are enough participants and enough time, it's a no brainer Alaska!

But, if only say a few participants and not enough time. What's an alternative? For a few, I'm looking at having more than enough miles by next summer with the amount of travel I'll be doing. I'll make certain to try to keep it to one airline, say American or Delta (they have the most partner flights to europe). The only true expense would be a bike rental. Hotels or roughing it could be done on the cheap. As a treat, I would have more than enough point for a few night in some great global hotel chains.

Just a thought. The Alaska trip would still be number 1.
At this point, all the way to Alaska, it's you and me baby.
James wrote he may not have enough vacation time to pull off the whole ride.

post #30 of 63 Old 10-02-2007, 04:29 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

I will have to dig through some back issues but I read of an adventure company in Anchorage that rents adv. bikes and dual sports. Those that cannot do the X-country journey could meet there?

post #31 of 63 Old 10-02-2007, 05:09 PM
Corner speed sets u free

Garage

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation Veteran 

i can't believe i've missed this thread. Put me on the list i've always wanted to do a ride in Alaska. Not sure i'd want to take the 9ner but renting a dual sport is something i'd be interested in.

post #32 of 63 Old 10-02-2007, 05:37 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

You can do AK and back in three weeks, but I think that's pushing it from Tampa. You've got to figure some downtime for border crossings, sites you want to see, bike maintenance, and weather. Take your round trip miles and divide and you start seeing what you have to accomplish to pull it off. 460 miles/day for three weeks becomes quite a chore after awhile. That's if you're going to ride it the whole way.

But that's the only way I would do it, because that's at least half the journey. I'm a road warrior, and couldn't live with myself if I shipped my bike or rented somewhere, then flew. Factor in my desire to make it to the Artic Circle and that just makes more miles/day, so I'd be want more time to do it right for me.

Sounds like you may want to consider the fly and ride route with the time available.

There's some good stuff about gas (250 mile range min), skeeters, camping, service, border crossings that are quicker, and how to avoid becoming a bear's supper available.

The ol' adage pack everything, unpack and leave out half your clothes, and take twice the money probably applies.

post #33 of 63 Old 10-02-2007, 07:40 PM
Corner speed sets u free

Garage

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
.... and how to avoid becoming a bear's supper available.
Just don't take Timothy Treadwell's advice on bears in Alaska.

post #34 of 63 Old 10-02-2007, 07:54 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

Quote:
At this point, all the way to Alaska, it's you and me baby.
James wrote he may not have enough vacation time to pull off the whole ride.
Is there a goal of a certain town or milemarker you would like to reach? Only reason I ask is to calculate your total mileage and base my time off of that. If we are covering the same miles each day, I can more easily calculate my furthest turnaround point.

Also, if its the three of us, would it make better sense to use NC as a starting point since it's halfway between you two?

Wife has already given me the stink eye for planning another adventure away from home. Hopefully, she eventually gives in. I just wish she had something she was as passionate about...

post #35 of 63 Old 10-02-2007, 08:51 PM
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMERAV View Post
Ok, Ship the bikes to Seattle or Vancouver. Load them up on the ferry. You can camp (tent) on the ship deck. Upon landing Haines, Alaska get on the bike and go kick some ass. Best of all worlds. The boat ride from Vancouver to AK is killer. Second to none. By camping on the boat, you will save alot of coin and time. I've Driven the Alaska Hwy several times and it can, in some parts, be hard on you and the bike. The Cassiar Hwy runs along the coast and would take less time than the AK Hwy. The ferry is the way to go!
AMERAV, I just studied alaskastateferry.com and i-net
so it will take at least two ferry trips, one from Whittier (near Anchorage) to Juneau, and the second from Juneau to Bellingham north of Seattle?

I have some questions for you:
so most of the ferry stops accessible only through air or water? Are there any places to go on street bike there? How is it like camping on a ferry (e.g. for women and children)?

And main question: can you bring drinks with you on a ferry?

I really like idea of a ferry one way or round trip.. I am not into boring stretches of straight road.. It looks like there was a promotion in 2007 that if you go round trip with bike or vehicle, you go free and only pay for the bike.

post #36 of 63 Old 10-03-2007, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Site Founder

Awards Showcase

me - "so honey, a suggestion was made that we alter the Alaska trip to instead go to Germany or the Alps and rent bikes."

her - "You can ride your sorry butt all the way to Alaska if you want but there's just no way you go to Germany without me."

kid - "Me too, right mommy?"

her - "bingo, you too baby."
*glare*

kid - "see daddy, you're WRONG. mommy and me are right!"

post #37 of 63 Old 10-03-2007, 04:08 AM
red dirt girl

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration BOTM Donation Donation 

Quote:

kid - "see daddy, you're WRONG. mommy and me are right!"
From the mouths of babes....you certainly won't win that one.
post #38 of 63 Old 10-04-2007, 02:53 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Alaska huh ? Funny, my 6.6 gallon tank just came in for my new to me 2006 KLR - Hmm, Ill have to keep a watch on this, begging mission, engage --

post #39 of 63 Old 10-04-2007, 03:15 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

Quote:
her - "You can ride your sorry butt all the way to Alaska if you want but there's just no way you go to Germany without me."
So it's NOT easier to beg for forgiveness than ask permission?

post #40 of 63 Old 10-04-2007, 03:53 PM

Awards Showcase

Okay, Alaska it is.

Time for a bit of reality and logistics. The biggest question ... What is the goal? Are we doing it for the ride and journey? If so, great.

Do we what to experience the depths of what Alaska has to offer? If so a different set of plans.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode