Team Alaska Planning & Organizing - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 38 Old 10-01-2007, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 6

Team Alaska Planning & Organizing

This is the behind the scenes area where we can talk openly and share information without the public seeing it.

Added Danke for his offer of support in B.C.
RC51_CBRXX as a rider
TFunk as a rider
dream247919 as someone who's made the trip and has knowledge to share

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 10-01-2007, 06:09 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Will I be part of the trip? Yes.

Can I make the whole thing? I don't know. I have only ten days of vacation per year and this one would burn every single day.

Depending on the route and miles per day would determine how far I could push it. For sure though, the KLR will be getting a new seat before a ride of this length.

post #3 of 38 Old 10-01-2007, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

Been reading ride reports.
I honestly don't know that I can do this entire trip on a bike. From my front door to the beginning of the Alaska Highway is around 3250 miles. Then the Alaska Highway is another what?1400 miles long?

That works out to (roundtrip) some >8 hours a day saddletime for some 16 days straight, assuming nothing goes wrong. That's a buttload of miles.

post #4 of 38 Old 10-01-2007, 06:37 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Definate IBA award material...

post #5 of 38 Old 10-01-2007, 06:47 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I think we will be getting a bit smelly and racid on this trip.

If the Alaska trip is to much at 8000+ miles and limited days. Is there a South of the Boarder or Nova Scotia option?

post #6 of 38 Old 10-01-2007, 06:49 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

I'd be up for going North vs. South. Especially in Summer months. Besides, I've never had a passport.

Danke has some beautiful country in his area. He always posts some great pics.

post #7 of 38 Old 10-01-2007, 06:52 AM

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner View Post
I'd be up for going North vs. South. Especially in Summer months. Besides, I've never had a passport.

Danke has some beautiful country in his area. He always posts some great pics.
On a side note: Even going north, you will be going into Canada. A passport is required. So, get a photo and the necessary paperwork and get to the post office now.

post #8 of 38 Old 10-01-2007, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Site Founder

Awards Showcase

everything is an option. I picked a lofty goal (thinking 120% of what's practical).

Been doing some math just as a litmus test:
1. I'll have the vacation hours. Currently have almost 100 available and earning 3 hours per week so that's fairly easy.

2. If July is the target month we get a bonus day of July 4th. Which applies to all but you C level workaholic guys.

3. Money factor = $2200 should set me up nicely for the trip. Plenty of time to budget it out.

At this point my concern (gay as it sounds) is maintaining 400-500 miles per day for this length of time. Chave already blessed it, important to have the s.o. approve, my boss will sh*t to hear I plan on being gone most of the month.

post #9 of 38 Old 10-01-2007, 07:08 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

Ambitious would be an understatement.

5,744 miles divided by 10 days equals 574.4 miles per day divided by an average speed of 60mph = 9.57 hours per day in the seat.

Burlington, NC to Salmon Arm, BC and back

post #10 of 38 Old 10-01-2007, 07:31 AM

Awards Showcase

On a Concours 14, not a problem. We're talking KLR's here boys!

post #11 of 38 Old 10-01-2007, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Site Founder

Awards Showcase

added dhbiker517 - hey Brian.
This section is out of the public eye.

post #12 of 38 Old 10-01-2007, 07:57 AM
Two Wheeled Warlord

I think you guys should pick your route, then plan out blocks of 5-6 ride days with rest/service days inbetween. If you are on thumpers you'll be ejecting nuts and bolts all the way there and back.

post #13 of 38 Old 10-01-2007, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Site Founder

Awards Showcase

true. loctite is your friend on a thumper.

post #14 of 38 Old 10-01-2007, 08:03 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

From a 700 mile round-trip to WV and back this past weekend, I can safely say the new KLR is very adept at continued speeds of 70-75mph. Anything above that and I think the revs are too high.

I haven't checked yet if there was any anomalous oil consumption after the trip, but my mpg stayed between 40-45. I was switching to reserve at 210-220 miles and putting in close to 5 gallons every fill. It has a six gallon tank.

post #15 of 38 Old 10-01-2007, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Site Founder

Awards Showcase

+1 tooth drive gear & -2 wheel gear might be good to put on the list of mods.

torquey enough to pull it off?

btw - anyone making a long range seat yet or do you send it off and hope for the best?

post #16 of 38 Old 10-01-2007, 08:13 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblast10 View Post

For that length of a trip, it would seem a necessity. The KLR is very torquey from 1st-2nd. 2nd-3rd is flat, and the rest has mild pull but nothing that's gonna knock your socks off. It doesn't push you back when you ask more of the throttle in higher gears, but it gives a small boost. I think with my soon-to-be done mods to the air box, it might alleviate a bit of that.

The torque helps tremendously when off-road though. Depending on how much non-paved you were considering.

post #17 of 38 Old 10-01-2007, 08:15 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

I like the dual-sport flat myself.

http://www.corbin.com/kawasaki/klrmenu.shtml

post #18 of 38 Old 10-01-2007, 08:26 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51_CBRXX View Post
On a Concours 14, not a problem. We're talking KLR's here boys!
Thanks for including me!

I agree KLR's narrow seat would be challenging for 500ml/day required for a FL start. I rode the CBR600 solo from Cali and averaged ~500ml/day (longest day was 780ml).

I bought new tires in WA (2,000ml) and wore the second pair out too! So plan for tire changes. I took the northbound Seattle-Scagway Fairy for 2 days. Then rode to Fairbanks and returned on the Alcan Hwy. The Canadian roads were much worse than ours. I low sided on UNMARKED gravel at night in canada to avoid some wolves and was lucky to keep going. So no night riding! A ride acquaintance (Ohio policeman) totaled his GW in daylight due to loose permafrost gravel, breaking his leg and ending his trip.

I had an annoying mechanical (flakey fuel pump) on a 4yr bike that wasted a couple days finding a replacement, so your bikes must be in PERFECT condition.

I returned on the Alcan H1 through the canadian rockies and entered the US in Montana. It would be great riding to AK again! Do you really have time to enjoy the dirt spurs? Optimally rent dirt bikes in anchorage/whitehorse for multi-day spurs.

post #19 of 38 Old 10-01-2007, 09:17 AM
Two Wheeled Warlord

Smart money does have your route quite a bit North of me unless you do something really nutty and route along the Pacific but in any case it's still handy to have a place to divert too.

I'm right on the major East/West Hwy here. Dead even between Calgary and Vancouver. North of Spokane WA by about the same distance.

post #20 of 38 Old 10-01-2007, 11:27 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danke View Post
you do something really nutty and route along the Pacific
The Tongass passage Fairy was very slow (nearly 3days!) and tortuous. So my only regret was I didn't ride the pacific route. It would be innexpensive to ride it and a lot more eye candy.

post #21 of 38 Old 10-01-2007, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Site Founder

Awards Showcase

yep. Boss freaked. But he gets it and has approved.
He'll be here for a week to cover things. It'll give him plenty of time to answer email and play online poker.

post #22 of 38 Old 10-01-2007, 04:31 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
From a 700 mile round-trip to WV and back this past weekend, I can safely say the new KLR is very adept at continued speeds of 70-75mph. Anything above that and I think the revs are too high.
Ridge,

Sounds perfect since you probably shouldn't keep it faster than 70 with a lot of wildlife. I had four near misses; wolves (lowside at 55), herd of mountain goats, a moose AND a HUGE Grizzly bear.

You need to stop for gas often in the northern territories because the towns are far apart and the stations are not always open.

post #23 of 38 Old 10-01-2007, 05:18 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream247919 View Post
Ridge,

Sounds perfect since you probably shouldn't keep it faster than 70 with a lot of wildlife. I had four near misses; wolves (lowside at 55), herd of mountain goats, a moose AND a HUGE Grizzly bear.
BTW there were many wide open sections through panoramic vistas where I opened up the CBR to where the saddle bags nearly flew away!

I missed not exploring the backroad dirt trails (on a road bike solo). I'd plan to add dirt spurs and take a puddle hopper sight seeing. I'd say skip Denali since it's a huge tourist magnet and burns several days, plus only ~1/5 of the time you can see the top (I didn't).

I would be very impressed if you guys could ride over a week on a narrow seat KLR. My wider stock CBR seat felt like concrete.

post #24 of 38 Old 10-02-2007, 01:56 PM

Awards Showcase

Quote:

btw - anyone making a long range seat yet or do you send it off and hope for the best?
An inexpensive seat mod would be sending it to Butt Buffers. I know it sounds wrong, but they do a great job and just tell them exactly what you want.

post #25 of 38 Old 10-02-2007, 02:43 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

This transalp and seat would be great for an AK all round explorer.

http://www.billmayersaddles.com/HondaTransAlp.html

Rocky rode 2up to AK last year on a touring BMW (pix on his site). Not a good idea to have some folks 2up since it would greatly reduce the distances and dirt spurs.

post #26 of 38 Old 10-03-2007, 12:58 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

The direct path for FL <>AK @ 4800ml. They claim 3.5 days travel time!

Enjoy some scenic spurs to lengthen it. I'd overlay it to the great rides site James just posted. The roads are much better in the US than Canada, so cross the border as far west as possible.

post #27 of 38 Old 10-03-2007, 01:02 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

I posted this earlier for some time management questions.

Quote:
At this point, all the way to Alaska, it's you and me baby.
James wrote he may not have enough vacation time to pull off the whole ride.
Quote:
Is there a goal of a certain town or milemarker you would like to reach? Only reason I ask is to calculate your total mileage and base my time off of that. If we are covering the same miles each day, I can more easily calculate my furthest turnaround point.

Also, if its the three of us, would it make better sense to use NC as a starting point since it's halfway between you two?

Wife has already given me the stink eye for planning another adventure away from home. Hopefully, she eventually gives in. I just wish she had something she was as passionate about...

post #28 of 38 Old 10-03-2007, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Site Founder

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I posted this earlier for some time management questions.

Is there a goal of a certain town or milemarker you would like to reach?
not yet, we haven't gotten that far. Open to ideas.

post #29 of 38 Old 10-03-2007, 01:31 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

To cover a good mileage per day (410 plus/minus) puts me at Billings, MT for a turnaround point after 5 days of riding. That equates to about 7 hours per day of just seat time at an overall average of 60mph. I used 60mph from previous rides to your house and Mike's. Almost always, the average speed would equate to 60. I don't know how, but it did.

My house to Billings and back

Edit: I figured at a pace of 7 hours per day, that gave us some fudge room for sidetrips, or delays.

post #30 of 38 Old 10-03-2007, 01:41 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

Depending on how time worked out, I could push on further, as I would like to at least see the Canadian border before they are adopted as our 51st state.

post #31 of 38 Old 10-03-2007, 01:42 PM

Awards Showcase

NURBURGRING...

52nd state. Mexico is the 51st.

post #32 of 38 Old 10-03-2007, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Site Founder

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51_CBRXX View Post
NURBURGRING...
don't get me wrong, my passport is in hand and I can pack in 4 minutes, but that would score a 7/10 happy home marriage impact. We can discuss more at Cornerspin but at this moment that's not looking real likely.

post #33 of 38 Old 10-03-2007, 02:00 PM

Awards Showcase

Quote:
don't get me wrong, my passport is in hand and I can pack in 4 minutes, but that would score a 7/10 happy home marriage impact. We can discuss more at Cornerspin but at this moment that's not looking real likely.
I'm just throwing that out there. It might actually help the impact of being away. You would be away much less time? From a cash out lay it would be a wash or even less.

Don't get me wrong, I'm game for the Alaska trip. I need it! As you know, my year to date has been a mess (looking so much better now). I missed out on everything I wanted to do! I really need a good trip.

I always try to have a "back-up" plan that is almost as good as the initial in everything I do. A small group of 3-5 guys off to Nurburgring (can be organized or pay as you ride, something like $30 a lap) the back roads of Germany, Switzerland, Italy, the Alps in general. Can be done in a week +/- a day or so.

post #34 of 38 Old 10-03-2007, 02:45 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

They are very different trips, but both are phenomenal (I've toured Europe). One week in Europe surely cost as much as going to AK on your own bike for 3 weeks.

The Canadian Rockies on the way are spectacular with Lake Louis, Jasper etc.

post #35 of 38 Old 10-03-2007, 07:17 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

I think we could do the AK trip on the cheap. Use our network of Wristtwister members along a specified route and make it a Ride Report/meet-n-greet along the way. Hot meals, a shower, spare bed (or at least a clear spot in the backyard). Have a mobile shin-dig with the three of us as lead group.

post #36 of 38 Old 10-03-2007, 10:09 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I think we could do the AK trip on the cheap. Use our network of Wristtwister members along a specified route and make it a Ride Report/meet-n-greet along the way. Hot meals, a shower, spare bed (or at least a clear spot in the backyard). Have a mobile shin-dig with the three of us as lead group.
That's a great idea to make it fun/cheap. I camped with a small air pad/tent bag strapped above the saddle bags.

post #37 of 38 Old 10-04-2007, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Site Founder

Awards Showcase

i love that idea. we have a lot of lead time to work on details for stops and the idea of doing this ubercomfortably doesn't appeal much to me. I want to hurt for a month afterward, reminds me that we did something.

post #38 of 38 Old 10-14-2007, 09:32 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Given the trip's time constraint it's very challenging, thus why I rode solo. I hope you guys go.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode