Sunday ride in Central Texas - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 13 Old 09-01-2007, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Toll Runner

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Sunday ride in Central Texas

Hey guys we (Scgstuff and myself) are doing another ride tomarrow if anybody whats to come , meeting at the Shell at Hwy 29 and Us 183 @ 8:30should take about lil over 3 hours, Should be good weather and a nice ride,
str8

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-02-2007, 08:30 PM
Signifer

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 2

Well, it was another GREAT day in Central Texas. It was just str8 and myself on the ride (I know there HAVE to be more people in this area of Texas), but we still had a blast.

We met up at about 8:30, and I had redneck engineered a mount for my GPS on my bike. Made life much easier, as I had programmed in the route we wanted to take the night before. We departed in search of good roads and breakfast. Only problem is the small towns we were going through had nothing by MickeyDs open on Sunday morning. We stopped off after about an hour of riding to eat, then headed back on our way.

On the way, we passed (I kid you not) a castle. No I did not get a picture of the castle, but I found the website for the castle here.

Here are the pics from the trip. This time, I got several pics, but str8 could only get pics of his kitchen, as that was where his camera was during the ride...

You know the day will be great when one of the first roads has a sign like this:

Zooming back a little:

and a little more:

Here we are at an overlook off of SR-4

View from the overlook:

This is at Inks Lake State Park, it was a really cool place. I think I will go back with wife and kids and go camping.

Here is a view of the lake with a boat and jet ski out playing....

This is at the end of the ride, at the gas station we met at in the morning...

Here is the ride summary. Total on the road was 222 miles for me, about 145 miles for the loop together. I have blacked out the max speed to protect the almost innocent.

Saw many GREAT places to get pictures, but was too busy riding. Maybe next time.

Thanks for a great ride again str8,

Shawn

post #3 of 13 Old 09-02-2007, 08:58 PM
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 3

Looks like a good ride. Could you send me the streets and trips file of this loop. I have a huge library that I am trying to compile of good roads from all over the country. Thanks.

After many years and many dreams I have realized my goal of riding in all 50 states!

Now the rest of the world!

Every now and then go away and have a little relaxation. To remain constantly at work will diminish your judgment. --Leonardo Da Vinci

post #4 of 13 Old 09-02-2007, 09:14 PM
Signifer

Awards Showcase

Sure, I think it is attached to this post as a gdb, assuming it attached correctly. If not, let me know and I will PM it to you. Could you send some of the routes you have of the Texas area this way? Is there a place setup on here for GDB exchange? My email is shawn at thegarrisfamily dot com, if they are too large to send through here. I also have it in Microsoft MapPoint '06, if that is a better way for you to get it.

Shawn
Attached Files
File Type: gdb centexride1.gdb (42.2 KB, 5 views)

post #5 of 13 Old 09-03-2007, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
Toll Runner

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Hey Scgstuff, it was a great time again bro thanks for taking the pics and write up, Im kick myself for not bringing the camera, as this was by far some of the best roads I have ridden in central Texas, That county road Co963 was awesome , long sweepers back to back and nobody in sight.I did forget to tell you I saw a place on the way out instead of mickey ds we can hit up next time. Besides the two deer we saw almost dart out in front of us couldnt have ask for a better day, and I made it home 5 minutes before the thunderstorm. Thanks again hopefully we can do it one or two more times before I go, take care str8

post #6 of 13 Old 09-03-2007, 06:41 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Kewl. Your average speed was only about 55 for the 4 hours driving. Your high speed couldn't have been for long.

post #7 of 13 Old 09-03-2007, 06:44 AM
red dirt girl

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration BOTM Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Thanks for the pics and report. Looks like a great ride.

post #8 of 13 Old 09-03-2007, 06:47 AM
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase

Nice ride...someday I'll bike down from MO and ride with ya

My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all.
- Stephen Hawking
post #9 of 13 Old 09-03-2007, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Toll Runner

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Your average speed was only about 55 for the 4 hours driving. Your high speed couldn't have been for long
No we both have kids and like to make it home to see them. We take it nice and slow, its all about the ride , not how fast we get there.str8

post #10 of 13 Old 09-03-2007, 08:39 AM
Signifer

Awards Showcase

Top speed was just hit on one really long straight open road where we could see everything in front and behind us. There were no side roads to turn in from and the shoulders were clear with nothing for critters to hide in. Not much for taking things really fast, as, like str8 said, we have kids and need to get home to them. Also, how would I expalin to my son..."You should not break the rules or the law, but can you tell mommy to come bail me out of jail for reckless driving?" We kept pretty much everything within about 5-10 mph of the speedlimit other then that one run. Makes it easier to see the scenery.

Oh yeah, the deers...we saw a little fawn that I wasn't to worried about, but then my fuel light came on. I looked down and it and switched from the clock to the trip odometer to find out how much more I had in the tank. I looked up and was quickly approaching a young buck. Luckily I didn't bag a 6 pointer while on the road. Spooked me, but I figured at that time, I was better to keep going straight at the same speed with the brake and clutch covered, since it was to late to try evasive actions. No sudden movements. Certainly a good aerobic workout. Heart was pumping fast, breathing increased, blood was pumping!

Shawn

post #11 of 13 Old 09-03-2007, 07:28 PM
Here fishy fishy

Looks like a great ride, i would have been there but just returned from out of town this weekend. Keep me posted for the next one. i just filled up at that shell last week.

post #12 of 13 Old 09-03-2007, 08:53 PM
Signifer

Awards Showcase

Good to hear from you iion. Do you have any good ride suggestions? I am trying to find good routes that others have taken, but not finding a lot of luck. I found a mention on motorcycleroads.com for 1123, so I put together a ride around it. Seems like it may have a few slower roads, as MapPoint says it is 146 miles and 4 hours. Must be mostly 35mph roads. Here is the route...

It can be started anywhere, but I have the first point at 1123 in Belton. Then turns left on 2268, left on 437, rt on 190, rt on 1915, left on 487, left on 1105, rt on 971, left on 418, rt on 2338, rt on 970, left on 195, rt on 2843, rt on 2484, left on 1670, rt on 121 back to the starting point.

Does anyone have any experience on these roads? If I cut out points 4 and 5, it takes about 35 minutes off the trip. I don't want to make it to long, but want to find some more good roads to try.

Shawn

post #13 of 13 Old 09-03-2007, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Toll Runner

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Hey iion we both were think it be cool to have you join us, are you in Austin? , I thought you were in Sa for some reason, Im trying to get couple more rides in before I go , give us a Pm and we can let you know when and where ,Hope to see ya next time , take care str8

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode