Sunday Afternoon Gallop - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 10-09-2012, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
What's a 919?

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Sunday Afternoon Gallop

Fall is swiftly knocking here in Lexington; the weather has dipped crisply into an October chill and the leaves are beginning to lose life more and more each week. It's the perfect time for riding and those autumn hues lining a few pristine horse-country roads I just so happen to know of, will make for some beautiful scenery.

Though the bluegrass region extends cardinally in every direction around Lexington, even as far as Louisville and Cincinnati, the inner bluegrass area immediately surrounding Lexington, hosts the most concentrated patches of gentle hills, twisting creeks, and immaculately kept countryside dedicated almost solely to horse farms. Though Kentucky isn't first thought of as yielding crops or sustenance farming, I come from Illinois, where 100+ acre fields consists of either corn, soybeans, or cattle/pigs. Here through the Kentucky countryside, it is a bit surreal for me to pass mile after mile of nothing but fields of grass and horses running, especially when considering I could buy my current motorcycle 10 times over for the price of just 3 acres of unfenced land.

However; I am thankful someone wants to pay the money and turn these fields into moving postcards. The signature white or black 4-board fences line back country roads immaculately paved, rivaling the smooth glass of a professional race circuit, while the spires of stables dot crests after each rise of the land. Grassy fields are watered, manicured, and cut arguably with as much care as the fairways of any PGA course, and easily become saturated under a blue sky. It's hard not to take your eyes from the road as a group of horses kick and gallop through the field just yards away.

I'm just a few miles west of Lexington perusing the country roads off of US 60 in Woodford county. Just as famous for the Woodford Reserve bourbon distillery as horse country; what started as a short ride has me purposefully lost again and just enjoying the scenery. Roads curve, horses perk their ears and heads, intersections come and pass with a turn being made wherever it seems to fit. I've been gone for 2 hours after the first intent of just ~30 mins. It's hard not to keep going.

I eventually turn back for Lexington, completing the scribbled loops of my journey and eying the small skyline after rising over just another of the rolling hills. I've seen it before and though the skyline is small, it's shining bright and so clear under this October sun, that is strikes me as a different sort of post-card view. One that due to it's closeness to my current surroundings of peaceful equine tranquility, nearly has me questioning it's reality. Cresting another hill and seeing the skyline again, it's difficult to believe that I am less than 10 miles from a metro of 500,000 after my company over the past two hours has been the road and horses. In 15 minutes I'll be home but far from sad, knowing that I am blessed to have this scenery so close to me. I think about the city once more as I round a swift, tree-lined, right turn now opening into yet another graceful field lined with a white fence; movement catches my eye. Two horses; one black and one dapple grey are running alongside of me.

Pictures:

A V-Twin echoing off stone walls and through tightly tree-lined roads is an awesome sound.

You have no idea how perfectly smooth this pavement is. I have found where the ridiculous amount of tax money I pay actually ends up.

The typical road-side attraction.

Couldn't decided which of the following two I liked better so you get to see both.

*neighghghghg

The ride was as perfect as this picture makes it appear.

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-09-2012, 05:45 PM
Pierre-Marc

very nice pictures and write up! thanks for sharing

post #3 of 8 Old 10-09-2012, 06:08 PM
The Cripple

Very beautiful...

However, I shudder at the notion of leaves/fall here in the northwet. Must be a local thing. Wet leaves and motorcycles do not mix!

post #4 of 8 Old 10-09-2012, 06:13 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

I love the colors of the trees this time of year, but it's sad knowing that winter is coming. Thanks for sharing!

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #5 of 8 Old 10-09-2012, 06:45 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx463 View Post
very nice pictures and write up! thanks for sharing
+1!

post #6 of 8 Old 10-09-2012, 06:45 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
Very beautiful...

However, I shudder at the notion of leaves/fall here in the northwet. Must be a local thing. Wet leaves and motorcycles do not mix!
+1!

post #7 of 8 Old 10-09-2012, 06:46 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
I love the colors of the trees this time of year, but it's sad knowing that winter is coming. Thanks for sharing!
+1! (damn it!)

post #8 of 8 Old 10-09-2012, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
What's a 919?

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

I will brag slightly and say that fall around Lexington and into the Appalachians consists of some of the most beautiful countryside sights I've ever seen. Especially with how well manicured the horse-country is. Honestly, it is a moving postcard with every twist of the road.

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode