Suggestions - 4 day trip - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 18 Old 07-08-2014, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Suggestions - 4 day trip

Hey guys,

I've decided i'm taking a 4 day trip for my birthday, and i'm not sure where to go. Located in Frederick MD. Oh, and it's this coming weekend 7/12-15... yea i'm kinda a last minute spur of the moment person

I'm thinking I'll do about 300 miles a day, most often avoiding highways. Going to camp.. so far my ideas are:

1. Ride to Nagshead, NC. - never been to Carolinas and I heard it's great. Roads don't look that awesome but the area does.
2. BRP/Deals Gap - skyline and the northern end of BRP aren't that far, but i've heard the best section is the southernmost part between Ashville and Cherokee, and i mean once i'm that far how could i not hit up deals gap. downside is due to distance i think that's all i make.
3. WV- heaven of motorcycle roads and some good scenery, been to blackwater falls and the surrouding area twice. would like to hit up other sections. downside is it's WV and there's literally next to nothing there except the awesome roads and cannibals.
4. Head North - with this option I could go to harrisburg, pa after work friday. then the catskills; trace the finger lakes; maybe hop into canada (just to say i did it and see niagra falls).
5. Combo - combine parts of 1&2; 2&3. spending less time at each.

Any thoughts or recommendations? Anything particularly interesting going on in any of these directions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-08-2014, 10:21 AM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

300 mile radius of home eh? Don't discount southeastern Ohio. Stay in Marietta, Ohio(Lafayette Hotel) or Parkersburg, WV(Comfort Inn). I've done both. Superb roads and lots of rolling hills. One day out, two days to ride the area, and one day home.

This is my "road bible" that I refer to when on the road:
Motorcycle Journeys Through the Appalachians: Dale Coyner: 9781884313028: Amazon.com: Books

Happy Trails!

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #3 of 18 Old 07-08-2014, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

wow that book looks great, and only $5? deal.

I meant 300 miles per day though.
currently mapping out the North option as this might let a couple friends join me temporarily. considering ditching the catskills (went skiing there once) and exploring the pa grand canyon area - elk, sproul etc state parks.

I know there are some fantastic roads in WV to Ohio.. looking at the map makes my mouth water

post #4 of 18 Old 07-08-2014, 01:15 PM
duc duc GOOSE!

Obx is boring in my opinion

14 Ducati Monster 1200, termi's
07 VFR Anniversary Edition-SOLD
02 919-SOLD
01 CBR F4i-SOLD
02 CBR F4i-SOLD
92 Kawi EX 500-SOLD
post #5 of 18 Old 07-08-2014, 01:16 PM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKutz_GO View Post
wow that book looks great, and only $5? deal.

I meant 300 miles per day though.
currently mapping out the North option as this might let a couple friends join me temporarily. considering ditching the catskills (went skiing there once) and exploring the pa grand canyon area - elk, sproul etc state parks.

I know there are some fantastic roads in WV to Ohio.. looking at the map makes my mouth water
That's what I understood when you said 300/day. I figured about 300 out, 300 back, and a couple of days of 200-250 loops in between. 300/day times 4 days on back roads sounds doable, but trust me.................when you get in the twisties of WV & SE Ohio, you will be plenty beat at the end of the day if you run at a spirited pace.

post #6 of 18 Old 07-08-2014, 01:19 PM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaCrazy View Post
Obx is boring in my opinion
The shore is the last place you want to go during the Summer.

post #7 of 18 Old 07-08-2014, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST-DocLizard1 View Post
The shore is the last place you want to go during the Summer.
I've been getting the vibe that NC is a bit different in that everything is more spaced out. it's not so much like going to OC, MD which is total tourist trap. I did consider that traffic could be bad, but i also planned on primarily taking back roads.. being my first time there though I think i'd want to see what some of the cities are like.. I'm getting the feeling it might be a better trip to do two up or with some friends, when the main purpose isn't adventure.

I think i'm leaning towards PA grand canyon, The finger lakes, Niagra (check it off the list), hoping into CA momentarily (check it off), maybe briefly pass through Adirondacks... gotta play with the routing figure out which order is best and if it's doable.

Doc i think for this trip, i'm in more of a see shit mode, than a mountain racer mode.. given my distance to WV I could probably zip out there on a Friday after work. spend the next day riding around, and then. Don't get me wrong, I've done that, and it is an amazing time, it just might not be what i want in this trip. appreciate your input tho, getting me thinking about. We'll see how i feel tomorrow

post #8 of 18 Old 07-08-2014, 02:46 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 17

Go with option 4. Doc, maybe we can organize our nj,ny,pa event around that weekend (it has been awhile) and take CKutz through some beautiful north jersey/upstate ny roads on his way up. Birthday lunch/dinner is on WT I would definitely avoid option 1. Option 2 can be pretty anoing too if some motorcycle/car club has any sort of event scheduled there for that weekend. You never know till you get there and gap can be pretty crowded on weekends this time of year.

post #9 of 18 Old 07-08-2014, 03:00 PM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Have fun on your road trip! Too bad we're on different coasts, I'm leaving in a couple hours for a 3+ day ride through WA and OR.
My brother and I have done a couple multi-day rides lately - one down the Oregon coast, and one into the NE corner of Washington - and I don't have a single photo!? Too many high-speed twisties...
Maybe we'll get a couple photos between now and the weekend!

post #10 of 18 Old 07-08-2014, 03:24 PM
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 12

Is this your first multiday trip? Have you ever ridden long distances before? Is 300 miles per day a real limit for you, within your comfort zone, or can you go longer distances?

More importantly, how many HOURs of riding can you do in a day? 300 miles of backroads with lower speed limits vs. 300 miles on the interstate are very different.

I highly recommend going down to the dragon and exploring the roads down there (especially rt28). Leave early in the morning on the first day and get there in time for dinner. Spend a day and a half exploring the area and then start heading back up via the Blue Ridge Parkway halfway through day 3. Arrive home sometime on day 4. It's a lot of fun down there and the scenery is amazing.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

49/50 visited on two wheels. 1 more to go!
post #11 of 18 Old 07-08-2014, 04:11 PM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 3

Good. 300 - 400 miles per day when camping is a reasonable goal. Camping seems to take 2 or 3 hours off my riding time each day. If you're motel hopping you can easily double that daily total and push on a bit after dark - just get an AirHawk before you go.

Have fun!
post #12 of 18 Old 07-08-2014, 06:25 PM
Philanthropist

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Excellent choices.

post #13 of 18 Old 07-08-2014, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123 View Post
Go with option 4. Doc, maybe we can organize our nj,ny,pa event around that weekend (it has been awhile) and take CKutz through some beautiful north jersey/upstate ny roads on his way up. Birthday lunch/dinner is on WT I would definitely avoid option 1. Option 2 can be pretty anoing too if some motorcycle/car club has any sort of event scheduled there for that weekend. You never know till you get there and gap can be pretty crowded on weekends this time of year.
you'd have to plan it for this coming weekend! haha, that'd be an awesome idea though. Wouldn't mind if some WT tag along if i'm passing by. good point on deals gap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoney View Post
Have fun on your road trip! Too bad we're on different coasts, I'm leaving in a couple hours for a 3+ day ride through WA and OR.
My brother and I have done a couple multi-day rides lately - one down the Oregon coast, and one into the NE corner of Washington - and I don't have a single photo!? Too many high-speed twisties...
Maybe we'll get a couple photos between now and the weekend!
This is why i wish i had a go pro. put off buying one. have some other crappy one but it won't turn on at the moment. i don't think i have capability to record a whole lot, but setting it to take pictures occassionally would be nice. and just pop it off the bike when you want to go check something out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sckill View Post
Is this your first multiday trip? Have you ever ridden long distances before? Is 300 miles per day a real limit for you, within your comfort zone, or can you go longer distances?

More importantly, how many HOURs of riding can you do in a day? 300 miles of backroads with lower speed limits vs. 300 miles on the interstate are very different.

I highly recommend going down to the dragon and exploring the roads down there (especially rt28). Leave early in the morning on the first day and get there in time for dinner. Spend a day and a half exploring the area and then start heading back up via the Blue Ridge Parkway halfway through day 3. Arrive home sometime on day 4. It's a lot of fun down there and the scenery is amazing.
This is my first long distance solo trip, and loop. I've previously ridden a few hours into WV with a group, got a cabin, road around the next two days and rode back the 3rd. It was an awesome time.. but longest day was probably 200 miles. and you're always going back to the same basecamp. For this trip I plan a primarily solo loop in order to see more.. I think going to an area then exploring is a great way to enjoy the area, but a different trip then going out solo and trying to experience a bunch of stuff. I've done the basecamp and explore trip once, i haven't done a continuous loop, getting a taste of different regions, which i think is another neat idea.

I have done regular 100 mile trips back to my hometown lebanon, pa but primarily just superslabbed it to get there. Also did 190 partially with MM when we picked up Booda. I continued on to Lewes, DE. That's probably the most I've done. on furkot.com I have my gas stops set to 120 miles, so i have time to find gas and because at that point I'll be ready to get off the bike..my plan is to start each day at 9 am and finish at 6pm. 300 miles with gas stops and "oo looky thar" stops. I feel like it's a reasonable number? I know many people do more, but i'd rather be able to stop, or take some twisty roads not necessarily in the best direction than worry about bangin out 500 miles. However if i only do 200 miles a day, i dont think that will get me into foreign territory quickly enough.

That would definitely be the way to do deals gap i think.. I was trying to do a loop, but i think there's just too many awesome roads in that area, better off bolting down there, riding around and coming back like you said.

I'm considering scratching the Catskills (went snowboarding there once anyways), and instead spending a day exploring the Mtn roads around Sproul state park, haven't been there. Are you familiar? think it's a good destination?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Phenix View Post
Good. 300 - 400 miles per day when camping is a reasonable goal. Camping seems to take 2 or 3 hours off my riding time each day. If you're motel hopping you can easily double that daily total and push on a bit after dark - just get an AirHawk before you go.

Have fun!
Ken, agreed on the 2-3 hrs, plus i'm not a morning person, but it is hard to sleep in a tent once the sun is up, so having some faith i can stick to rolling out site by 9, maybe breakfast somewhere till 10ish. probably 4ish hrs of riding then, refuel and another few hours. granted an hour or two will be lost along the way depending what exploring goes on. I'm totally unprepared for camping (have camped a lot just haven't got a lot of my own m/c friendly gear). But i feel like that's just going to be a part of this trip. figuring it out and seeing how it goes. If I get too frustrated hotel hopping is always there as a back up.

Appreciating your input guys. I think i'm pretty set on the North route. gives me the best options for bucket list items, possibly involving friends (if they can man up for it) and family, loops seem to work pretty well, it'd even be possible to ditch some sight seeing, wrap around lake erie and get back here (but probably won't, because i'd want to go all the fun ways through WV and I'd lose too much time.

post #14 of 18 Old 07-08-2014, 09:24 PM
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 12

Given your criteria, 300 miles per day is very reasonable. Riding around the Catskills is nice, but I think the finger lakes region is more scenic and would spend more time there. I'm actually planning a ride up to Niagara Falls in mid August and plan on riding through the finger lakes for the scenery and to visit my old college. I've never been to Sproul state park, but it looks like a good opportunity to explore.

If you do make it up to Canada, don't forget your passport. Be careful doing a long distance exploration on a motorcycle; you may get hooked.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

49/50 visited on two wheels. 1 more to go!
post #15 of 18 Old 07-08-2014, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sckill View Post
Be careful doing a long distance exploration on a motorcycle; you may get hooked.
i'm afraid of that!
been reading way too many ride reports on advrider for way to long to not consider that a possibility.
But if it gives me some direction in life right now it may be just what i'm looking for. so far, the 8-5 office bs is leaving a lot to be desired.

post #16 of 18 Old 07-10-2014, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Alright I've got the destinations down for the most part. My friends coming with Saturday for the Mountain section. I've pretty extensively mapped that out.

Saturday (only day with extensively planned route):
State parks and PA Grand canyon to Wellsboro

Sunday:
Wellsboro to Niagra to Toronto

Monday:
Toronto to Kinzua Bridge, probably grab a beer at Staubs in St. Mary's

Tuesday:
St. Mary's back to Frederick

Map (not sure if that will pull up the custom route or not)

Let me know if you think there's any roads or places I shouldn't miss!

post #17 of 18 Old 07-10-2014, 12:23 PM
Discen

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 6

Hey Lebanonian,

If I wasn't going out of town Friday I might consider joining you since I'm really itching to do something like that. Looks like a great route you got laid out. Definitely stop by Straub's in St. Marys. I always stopped there for a case or two on my way to our camp near Austin. Ride safe.

Dean

post #18 of 18 Old 07-10-2014, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Hey!
Awesome. I'll make sure to keep it in the itinerary, a number of people have mentioned it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode