Southeastern US tour, need routes - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 18 Old 01-18-2007, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 3

Southeastern US tour, need routes

I'm gonna try my luck at the Southeast this year after the miserably wet Northeast trip last spring. I'll be leaving from Ohio and plan to ride through these states; Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, S. Carolina, N. Carolina, Virgina and West Virginia.

Anyone living in these states with good route ideas? Even if you don't live in but know of good riding, that would be cool as well. As usual, I'm staying mostly to 2 lane back-roads and avoiding the interstates as much as possible. The only consideration I have is Florida. I will either barely dip into it or ride all the way to Key West, time permitting. I'm not sure yet. Key west is kind of fun but I don't know if it is worth the 2 or more days riding on flat boring roads to get there. I guess I'll decide as I get closer to the trip date.

I'm planning for sometime in May right now, but that might also change. I guess I have one other condition, I don't want to go near the Atlantic coast in any of the states. That just really sucks on a bike.

Anyway, if you have any info shoot it my way. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-18-2007, 12:55 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 
Total Awards: 1

the dragon between tennesse and N. Carolina check out the pics from www.Killboy.com and http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

post #3 of 18 Old 01-18-2007, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Yeah, been to Deals Gap 2 times already. I might go through there again because the guy I'll be riding with has never been there yet. I'll only do it during the week though, as the weekends draw in all the squids.

How about any of you Florida based people? Anything good to see? I don't just need good bike roads as I'm also looking for interesting, historical or just scenic places to ride.

Thanks.

post #4 of 18 Old 01-18-2007, 05:34 PM
Those 2 Mofos Rollin

make sure you hit Rt 14 in VA, thru glocestur or whatever its called, and try Rt 10 too...

Buy my Pirelli supercorsa takeoffs. sizes 120/180
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrimmon View Post
...I'm slowly prepping the FZ...Goin to VIR with NESBA most likely next year since they are reasonably priced
^ Mark his words.

My 1000RR

Im on another forum.
post #5 of 18 Old 01-19-2007, 01:01 PM

Hwy 60 & Hwy 129 in Ga (Blue Ridge and Dahlonega) are some of the best riding roads in north Georgia.

There is the Infamous Loop (we like to call it) Starting in Dahlonega take 129 north up Blood Mtn. Turn left onto Ga 180 (Wolf Pen Gap road, more technical than Deals Gap!) and then left again onto Ga 60 (heading back to Dahlonega.
The northern part of 60 is my favorite road. It is a mix of high speed sweepers interspersed with fun technical twisties.

Tn Hwy 68 from Tellico Plains to Blue Ridge Ga is another fun road!

Hwy 28 from deals gap all the way down to Highland NC is awesome. The section of it near Franklin NC rivals the Dragon.

There are many others in the NGa Tn NC tri state area the run the edges of the appilacian mountains. Richard B Russell Parkway, and Hwy 75 (not Interstate 75) near Helen Ga are also good.

Unfotunately once you get about 30 miles south of Atlanta all roads get straight and flat till you hit ocean.

post #6 of 18 Old 01-19-2007, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikwad View Post
make sure you hit Rt 14 in VA, thru glocestur or whatever its called, and try Rt 10 too...
Gloucester is too close to the coast and the annoying Richmond. I'm staying away from the coast mostly. Where is rt 10? Between what towns? Thanks.

post #7 of 18 Old 01-19-2007, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudarra View Post
Hwy 60 & Hwy 129 in Ga (Blue Ridge and Dahlonega) are some of the best riding roads in north Georgia.

There is the Infamous Loop (we like to call it) Starting in Dahlonega take 129 north up Blood Mtn. Turn left onto Ga 180 (Wolf Pen Gap road, more technical than Deals Gap!) and then left again onto Ga 60 (heading back to Dahlonega.
The northern part of 60 is my favorite road. It is a mix of high speed sweepers interspersed with fun technical twisties.

Tn Hwy 68 from Tellico Plains to Blue Ridge Ga is another fun road!

Hwy 28 from deals gap all the way down to Highland NC is awesome. The section of it near Franklin NC rivals the Dragon.

There are many others in the NGa Tn NC tri state area the run the edges of the appilacian mountains. Richard B Russell Parkway, and Hwy 75 (not Interstate 75) near Helen Ga are also good.

Unfotunately once you get about 30 miles south of Atlanta all roads get straight and flat till you hit ocean.
Those all look good. I'll second Hwy 28 from Deals Gap to Highland. I've done this road before and it rocked. Thanks for the tips.

post #8 of 18 Old 01-19-2007, 01:32 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

I don't know if you running Kentucky north to south, east to west, etc. So I'll just list some nice roads I know:
Highway 22 - all of it.
Highway 62 - preferably from Maysville to Georgetown and from Lawrenceburg to Bloomfield.
Highway 227 - All of it.
Highway 55 - All of it.
Highway 421 from Frankfort heading west.
This is mostly central Kentucky. If you think you'll be in the eastern or western part of the state I can post up somemore for those areas. Western Kentucky flattens out unless down around Kentucky Lake. Eastern Kentucky is mountainous.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #9 of 18 Old 01-20-2007, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
I don't know if you running Kentucky north to south, east to west, etc. So I'll just list some nice roads I know:
Highway 22 - all of it.
Highway 62 - preferably from Maysville to Georgetown and from Lawrenceburg to Bloomfield.
Highway 227 - All of it.
Highway 55 - All of it.
Highway 421 from Frankfort heading west.
This is mostly central Kentucky. If you think you'll be in the eastern or western part of the state I can post up somemore for those areas. Western Kentucky flattens out unless down around Kentucky Lake. Eastern Kentucky is mountainous.
I'll be running KY from NE to west just crossing into TN and then into Arkansas! Thanks for the routes. I'm stringing together some decent roads now.

post #10 of 18 Old 01-20-2007, 05:56 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 
Total Awards: 2

just curious - are you using GPS or paper?

post #11 of 18 Old 01-20-2007, 07:54 PM
Those 2 Mofos Rollin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fehren2800 View Post
Gloucester is too close to the coast and the annoying Richmond. I'm staying away from the coast mostly. Where is rt 10? Between what towns? Thanks.

honestly i dont know, but the same guy that told me and showed me 5 and 14 told me 10 is awesome, its somewhere in that area tho...

Buy my Pirelli supercorsa takeoffs. sizes 120/180
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrimmon View Post
...I'm slowly prepping the FZ...Goin to VIR with NESBA most likely next year since they are reasonably priced
^ Mark his words.

My 1000RR

Im on another forum.
post #12 of 18 Old 01-21-2007, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzTurbo View Post
just curious - are you using GPS or paper?
Good ol paper! I'm not really into GPS yet. I like the idea of having a record of where I'm going and exactly where I've been, but I still like maps. I like the adventure of sometimes being lost a little and maybe not knowing exactly where I am at a given moment. Plus I have a giant box of maps of almost every state. I either get them free from their DOT websites or pick them up on my way into a state.

The only map I actually have purchased is the giant wall map I have. It was ~$30 or so. The money I have saved vs. gps has paid for a few sets of tires to take these trips.

I also don't like to have a lot of complicated bull**** with me when I travel by bike. I have my bike wired for my heated vest and that is it. I have an Ipod I use a few hours a day while riding, and a digital camera as well. That takes up 2 outlets at a hotel and I have 2 chargers for these devices. I don't want to add to this clutter/annoyance.

Any more routes? Anyone... bueller, bueller...

post #13 of 18 Old 01-21-2007, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikwad View Post
honestly i dont know, but the same guy that told me and showed me 5 and 14 told me 10 is awesome, its somewhere in that area tho...
Thanks.

post #14 of 18 Old 01-21-2007, 09:20 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Let me know when you pick a route across KY. I can help with roads and places to see.

BTW, there's free beer on Highway 22. And all of it rocks.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #15 of 18 Old 01-21-2007, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Let me know when you pick a route across KY. I can help with roads and places to see.

BTW, there's free beer on Highway 22. And all of it rocks.
I'm trying to put together a route from the Louisville/Lexington area all the way to the KY, TN, MO border area. I'm thinking of Hickman KY as a crossover point into MO. There is a ferry there across the river. Any ideas?

post #16 of 18 Old 02-01-2007, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

HondaJim, I have a semi-finalized route across Kentucky. Tell me what you think.

post #17 of 18 Old 02-01-2007, 02:40 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

You're a little further south than I usually run, but I have been across some of that. That'll be a good run as long as you know you are in pretty barren territory through some of it. (Mt. Vernon for example). But you will be in the mountains.

You can take 68/80 west out of Bowling Green heading for Hickman. It's a roller coaster part of the way. Just watch out, and I say this with all seriousness, for horsedrawn buggies.

You got any dates you'll be passing through? And how much time do you have planned for Kentucky.

post #18 of 18 Old 02-08-2007, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Quote:
You're a little further south than I usually run, but I have been across some of that. That'll be a good run as long as you know you are in pretty barren territory through some of it. (Mt. Vernon for example). But you will be in the mountains.
I love the barren territory, I should be free from "most" of the a$$hats out there.

Quote:
You can take 68/80 west out of Bowling Green heading for Hickman. It's a roller coaster part of the way. Just watch out, and I say this with all seriousness, for horsedrawn buggies.

You got any dates you'll be passing through? And how much time do you have planned for Kentucky.
I'm used to damn horsebuggies. I work in Western Pennsylvania where all the damn Amish live. I should be passing through on May 14th give or take.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode