So Cal People! Hwy 2... is it open? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 6 Old 01-09-2012, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Le So Cal Troll

So Cal People! Hwy 2... is it open?

Alright... someone may no... but is Hwy 2 open from la canada to wrightwood... i know they typically close it in the winter... and the dot ca site says its closed for the winter... but with no snow or percipitation for a month and a half im hoping they have it open..... so does anyone from the geldora / pasadena area know?

I want to strap the mini skis to the back of the 919 and hit up mt high via the 2... but if its not open its not worth it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-09-2012, 05:51 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Finally! Something you can't do in the winter.

post #3 of 6 Old 01-09-2012, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Le So Cal Troll

ya.... that image isnt available?

speaking to ppl on the mt high forum... hwy 2 is infact closed... but the forest hwy isnt which goes around the back and up some other twisties... hmm

post #4 of 6 Old 01-12-2012, 07:24 PM
Tirone

I was up there last Sunday and someone asked the same question. The barman said that it is closed after the ski lifts in the usual place. Angeles Forest Highway open from Palmdale (14) to Angeles Crest Highway. Upper Big Tijunga (9 mile) is open from the Forest Highway to the Crest Highway. Recently repaved. Very nice. There was a cop just after the Mt Wilson turn off. I haven't seen them up there for a while. We don't miss them. There was still some dirty ice on the side of the road just past the 5000' mark on the shady side of the mountain. I followed an out of state tourist that didn't have the courtesy to move over and let me past but that might have been a good thing considering the cop near the Mt. Wilson turn off. The weather has been great up there and there was near a 100 bikes at the restaurant on that Sunday.

post #5 of 6 Old 01-12-2012, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Le So Cal Troll

Ya actually the upper section of hwy 2 was open... all signs pointed to closed but the gates were open... lots of rocks gravel and some snow / ice on the road... but that was probably the most beautiful joyfull ride i have ever had on the 2 ever....

Check my latest post here for pics etc.
https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...log-29020.html

post #6 of 6 Old 01-13-2012, 03:26 AM
Tirone

Wow, I am surprised that it was open. Even going all the way to Wrightwood after it is open is pretty dodgy. The road is full of rocks that have rolled down from the slopes after the snow and ice has melted. Towards the end of summer when you know it is pretty well clear, the road from Newcombs to Wrightwood is one of the best roads in the wolrld. Constant radius corners, level cambers, good straights between corners, it is a blast. Best part about riding to Wrightwood is the ride back past the restuarant and back to the 210. Great videos by the way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode