She Finally Rode With Me - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 18 Old 08-03-2009, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

She Finally Rode With Me

I don't have any pictures, but I was actually able to get my wife on the back for a little bit.

We took a nice, slow, relaxing ride around the area she grew up in. We managed to squeeze in a little over 20 miles. She said she likes the way her helmet fits, but was scared to death. I took it really easy on her, heck we were out riding with another couple on a v-star 650. They were in front so it wasn't like we were just accelerating like crazy.

She was kinda jumpy though. With every bump in the road, she squeezed on me. I have no problem with this.

She says she would like to go again. I just had to report in here because I loved it. Riding fast and railing corners is fun, but there's nothing like sitting that close with the girl you love, her arms around you, just relaxing in the breeze.

Press Any Key To Continue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-03-2009, 08:47 AM
a.k.a. Macgruber

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post
Riding fast and railing corners is fun, but there's nothing like sitting that close with the girl you love, her arms around you, just relaxing in the breeze.
So true. Congrats on the new-found happiness.

Abba Zaba, you my only friend.
post #3 of 18 Old 08-03-2009, 08:50 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

That is how it started with me wife about 3 years ago. Now she rides her own 9er!

Spoiler:

post #4 of 18 Old 08-03-2009, 09:02 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
there's nothing like sitting that close with the girl you love, her arms around you, just relaxing in the breeze.
Congrats Cmurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickard919 View Post
That is how it started with me wife about 3 years ago. Now she rides her own 9er!
That is the best way isn't it?

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #5 of 18 Old 08-03-2009, 09:07 AM
Imaginifer

I'm going through the same thing. Yesterday was our third ride. The 1st one was kinda shaky, I wasn't comfortable with her on the back, made cornering difficult. 2nd was better but still tense on cornering. We talked about leaning and tried a different method and it made a huge difference on the ride yesterday. We both are more comfortable and relaxed. She is excited about it now and were even talking about getting a communication set! It's something were both looking forward to.

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
---Thomas Jefferson 1776.
post #6 of 18 Old 08-03-2009, 03:58 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 

I have yet to. But soon.
I told her we're due for a motorcycle date night. She's okay with it.
I'll wait for the right weather, get grandma to watch the kiddies, and take her to a dining place we used to frequent not too far from here. Baby steps, you know.
Glad you had a good time.

post #7 of 18 Old 08-03-2009, 04:01 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 

actually - thanks for the reminder
My 836 bike would be best for date night because it still has mufflers. I forgot it needs its headgasket replaced so I'd better get on it.

post #8 of 18 Old 08-03-2009, 04:37 PM
rock n roll outlaw

Its funny how the transition happens... My lady was a little scared at first, but the worst part is she put her foot down at the first few stops and nearly tipped us both over But now she's great at keeping herself stable through corners and quick stops AND she wants to learn how to ride. She's gotta learn how to shift on the threewheeler first.

post #9 of 18 Old 08-03-2009, 08:15 PM
Lovin the Vanilla Ice

When I first met mine she would insist on 2up vs. caging. She loves it. She will ride dirtbikes and quads is nervous with the streetbikes. She's been on the bike a few times when people acted like idiots.

Two wheelin for the feelin.
post #10 of 18 Old 08-03-2009, 08:34 PM
yzarc mi os

Mine wants her own. I don't think we would make it out of the neighbor hood 2 up on the 9er. I live a mile or so down a gravel road thats pretty rough. She loves her ATV (it ain't no ute either 533r anyone). Were looking for an 04 green 919 if any one knows of one iwith in a couple hundred miles of st louis.

Common sense. So rare it's a god damn super power.
post #11 of 18 Old 08-04-2009, 08:55 AM
Shoot to stop

How did you guys learn to ride 2up?

I would love to be able to take my wife on rides with me, but as it is I'm pretty much maxing out the payload on the poor 9er, and while I truly love my wife, we both are fat (no need churching it up), so that just won't happen. I have considered, when times are more financially advantageous (i.e. I ain't broke), getting a cruiser to add to the stable in hopes of us being able to ride together. That being said, I've only been riding for about 3 years and never once had another person on the bike with me. I don't even have a clue where to start out on learning how to ride 2up. I've thought about getting one of the chics that I work with to act as her stand in (this chic is lucky if she weighs 100 pounds), but I'm thinking my wife wouldn't appreciate that much.

2003 Honda 919 - flapper mod, Clear Alternatives Smoke Tailight w/ integral turn signals, Stebel Nautilus air horn, DIY fender eliminator, LED license plate bolts, LED front turn signals, no resistor or new flasher so I blink like crazy.
post #12 of 18 Old 08-04-2009, 09:09 AM
a.k.a. Macgruber

Awards Showcase
Donation 

beardking, my first streetbike was a Nighthawk 650. I rode it for about 3 years before taking on a passenger. Fortunately for me, it was a classmate from college who, like your co-worker, was probably about 100lbs soaking wet. To make it interesting, I lived on a farm too - had to ride at least 4 miles of gravel before hitting pavement, but the direction I went usually required more like 8 miles of gravel. (however, growing up in that environment & driving it every day makes for sharp skills - it didn't bother me because I new how to handle it)

I think if your wife & your co-worker can work out a mutual respect for the situation, that might be a good idea to try... IMO.

Abba Zaba, you my only friend.
post #13 of 18 Old 08-04-2009, 10:23 AM
Lovin the Vanilla Ice

King,

It's not that intimidating as long as you spend a few minutes to talk with her and talk about what will happen, not to make sudden moves, keep her feet up and have her lean on you at first so she can get the feel for leaning and feel more comfortable. My girl is no supermodel but she's rode herself and her uncles had bikes growing up. When taking a newbie I just make sure to talk to them and explain rather than jump on and go. It makes it more enjoyable for both parties. Maybe she'll want to go again.

Oh and remember, the bike takes a lot longer to react and sudden movements may cause her to react so take it slow and leave plenty of room around you.

Two wheelin for the feelin.
post #14 of 18 Old 08-04-2009, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardking View Post
How did you guys learn to ride 2up?
I heeded advice from forums on riding 2-up and just took it easy with the first few passengers.

What I told my wife was to lean on me a little, but try to get comfortable. Hold onto my waist, and when I stop, just lean on me and squeeze your legs on me.

For my sister-in-law, she prefers to ride with her hands on the tank.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #15 of 18 Old 08-04-2009, 01:44 PM
Corner speed sets u free

Garage

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

One of the Lee Parks books has some good information about riding 2 up. Not just for the rider but for the passenger as well.

I first took my wife out on the 9ner about 2 years ago. She was tense and afraid - which i believe is a very normal reaction btw. I haven't been a passenger on a bike since i was a kid. i don't know how i would react to it now, would really have to trust the bloke that's driving that's for sure.

Anyway, It wasn't until we had a couple of talks about it then went out riding 2 up with other friends that she got more relaxed. She now loves riding 2 up with me and has been talking about getting her own bike once we're back in the green.

post #16 of 18 Old 08-04-2009, 03:05 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
I don't have any pictures, but I was actually able to get my wife on the back for a little bit.

We took a nice, slow, relaxing ride around the area she grew up in. We managed to squeeze in a little over 20 miles. She said she likes the way her helmet fits, but was scared to death. I took it really easy on her, heck we were out riding with another couple on a v-star 650. They were in front so it wasn't like we were just accelerating like crazy.

She was kinda jumpy though. With every bump in the road, she squeezed on me. I have no problem with this.

She says she would like to go again. I just had to report in here because I loved it. Riding fast and railing corners is fun, but there's nothing like sitting that close with the girl you love, her arms around you, just relaxing in the breeze.
Totally agree. Good deal bud. Glad to hear it. My wife rides on the back with me all the time and I'm currently teaching her to ride dirt. She has her own dirt bike too

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
2005 Honda CBR 600rr-Track
post #17 of 18 Old 08-04-2009, 03:44 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Took mine out for the first time last December. She was a s nervous as hell. We first practiced her getting on and off, so we both got used to that, for about 5 minutes. Then then discussed the do's and dont's - told her to keep her feet on the pegs untill I tell her its ok to get off, look over my left shoulder when cornering left & over my right when cornering right. Three taps from her means stop.

Then we went for a 10 minute ride around the neighbour hood at a very relaxed speed, just took it very easy. Repeated this a few times and ventured further and further. Now she loves it and actually prefers the bike in summer! Great plus point is that she suffers from car sickness - virtually non-existant on the bike.

post #18 of 18 Old 08-16-2009, 07:22 PM
Milites Gregarius

Just took my wife out yesterday. It was a blast. Been reading lots of posts and like many, we practiced getting on and off the bike, dos and dont's, codes etc then took a spin around the block. The thing I'm getting used to the most is obviously the braking but training my muscle memory to add a little more throttle /brake and trusting that the bike will behave like it should.

I'm also a bit crouched so its more work for my arms when leaning, etc. headchecks when changing lanes require a bit more attention as her head is usually right there behind me.

All in all, she (who was terrified of even the idea) loves it, I just bought her new gear and we are planning more rides. After our practice laps we went downtown into DC and cruised at night. It was a blast!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode