Road to Hana - Maui on a DR650 - Wrist Twisters
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By Sckill
  • 3 Post By Sckill

post #1 of 9 Old 05-29-2017, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 12

Road to Hana - Maui on a DR650

Hawaii is an amazing destination. Vibrant, scenic, awesome seafood, and beautiful people. The island of Maui is famous for it's resorts and beaches, but also is also home to some great scenic roads. Obviously, there's no better way to explore paradise than on a motorcycle.

My wife and I were vacationing in Hawaii this past week to spend time before our baby girl arrives later in August. We would normally go riding 2-up, but with the baby coming, I had some time to myself to rent a bike and go for a joy ride around the island.

The day started at Maui Dual Sport in Haiku. This company specializes in tours and rentals of mid size D/S bikes including KLRs, a DR650, a few KTMs, and CRF250L. Helmet and full gear were all included. I chose the DR650 because I had never ridden one before.

The bike had clearly been off road and was banged up a bit with rashes, a broken rear right signal, and slightly tweaked handlebar, but the brakes worked well, wheels were true, and engine running just fine. The mid size D/S would be the perfect size bike for the route ahead and I knew it would do fine getting me there and back.

This is the stuff of motorcycling dreams. The road to Hana is only 52 miles long, but contains over 600 hairpin curves, 52 one lane bridges / passes, and winds its way along the dense rain forest and across gulches carved by tropical rains and water falls. No shoulders and you are between a rock wall and a cliff. Mediocre drivers go home. This road makes the tail of the dragon feel like a stroll through the park.

The town of Hana itself is a small sleepy beach town with fantastic views of the ocean. Not much going on other than a few restaurants, local shops, and the beach, but nice place to spot for lunch.

The weather in east Maui is driven by Haleakala which is a dormant volcano extending over 10,000 feet from sea level. Trade winds carrying moisture from the Northeast bring heavy rains creating the jungles and gulches on the north and east side of the island. There is a constant cloud cover next to volcano which provides ongoing rain, but also obscures the view to the top.

Coming around the southeast side of the island, the road devolves into a narrow 1 lane road with dirt sections perfectly suited for the DR650.

Now on the south side of Maui, the landscape quickly transitions to arid desert as the rains are contained on the opposite side of Haleakala.

firedave and badmoon692008 like this.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

49/50 visited on two wheels. 1 more to go!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-29-2017, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Haleakala is dormant and the last eruption occurred ~4-500 years ago, but black remnants of the lava flows can be seen all over the south side of the island. Some from afar like the black rocks at the edge of the ocean as well as others up close.

Finally, coming around the west side of Haleakala, a view of the central Maui valley.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

post #3 of 9 Old 05-29-2017, 09:22 PM
919 Rider

I actually feel sick with jealousy right now.

post #4 of 9 Old 05-30-2017, 04:42 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Beautiful. What a great way to spend the day!

post #5 of 9 Old 05-30-2017, 10:56 AM
Centurion

Garage
how much was the bike rental? I went and did that with a car, was quite jelly when I saw a black 919 rip around those twisties.

post #6 of 9 Old 05-30-2017, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmin3m View Post
how much was the bike rental? I went and did that with a car, was quite jelly when I saw a black 919 rip around those twisties.
Rental was $179 + tax for a day. Not cheap, but not any more expensive then the only alternative of renting a Harley from one of the local dealers. No way would I want to take a heavy cruiser through those twisties and dirt roads.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

post #7 of 9 Old 05-30-2017, 08:10 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sckill View Post
Rental was $179 + tax for a day. Not cheap, but not any more expensive then the only alternative of renting a Harley from one of the local dealers. No way would I want to take a heavy cruiser through those twisties and dirt roads.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Well worth it based on your location!

post #8 of 9 Old 05-31-2017, 04:38 PM
Discen

I did the same trip about 10 years ago in a convertible mustang and it was awesome I could just imagine on a bike.

post #9 of 9 Old 05-31-2017, 06:01 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lido View Post
I did the same trip about 10 years ago in a convertible mustang and it was awesome I could just imagine on a bike.
I did the same trip about 12 years ago in a convertible Mustang and a .... moped. The moped was actually really good on the island.

Thanks for the write up. Nice to see the place again.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode