Riding in Australia? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 25 Old 04-21-2011, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Question Riding in Australia?

I'm leaving tropical Miami for a 3-month gig in Brisbane. Too bad it'll be their winter time. I wonder if it's worth it to rent a bike and see what can be seen. I'll be in Sydney for a week and then in Brisbane for 10 weeks. They have me set up with an apartment and a car.

Suggestions? Rent a bike maybe? I will be on a job site M-F but will have weekends free.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 04-21-2011, 12:36 PM
Tirone

A winter day in Brisbane would be similar to Spring in Miami. Rent the bike and take pictures and let us live vicariously through you . It's a rare opportunity that many of us will never get.

post #3 of 25 Old 04-21-2011, 12:45 PM
Le So Cal Troll

can you bring me back the street legal CRF250X they have there? also a toyota 4.5L v8 TDI diesel motor?

i say see what the weather is like in your first week, then go from there.

post #4 of 25 Old 04-26-2011, 04:43 PM
Tirone

Do it, best time of year to ride.
As the Queenslanders say about their weather. Beautifull one day, perfect the next (unless it's in flood)
I prefer our winter riding, as long as you stay off mountain roads until the fog and mist clears.

post #5 of 25 Old 04-26-2011, 07:41 PM
Philanthropist

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

My best friend lives in Brisbane. I'll ask him but my feeling is once you get there you'll know.

He works for Boeing and is supporting the Australian Air Force F-18's. I have his cat and his Subaru until December 2012!

post #6 of 25 Old 04-27-2011, 01:48 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Definately rent a bike. It will be worth it. Mt nebo is apparently a good ride. Just be carefull of speedlimits in Oz. They are ruthlessly enforced with heavy penalties!

post #7 of 25 Old 04-27-2011, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Thanks for the replies. I'm heading out this Friday - 5 hrs to LA and then another 14 to Sydney. After a week of meetings in Sydney I fly up to Brisbane for the balance of my trip. I've already identified one rental shop but their rates aren't cheap. I definitely want to ride so I'll work something out.

post #8 of 25 Old 05-05-2011, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Moto-scoots are everywhere here in Sydney including one niner parked outside the building I'm in and a large variety near the strip of restaurants a block away. No HDs so far though...

Stuff here is freakin pricey. I am paying $8 for a pint of Guinness - no happy hour pricing in Sydney. I'm here a few more days and then it's off to Brisbane for 10 weeks. I'm going to check into a weekend rental from this place:

Ozmoto Motorcycle Hire and Tours
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (347.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (338.2 KB, 9 views)

post #9 of 25 Old 05-05-2011, 05:28 PM
The Cripple

sweet! are the aussie girls as hot as people claim them to be?

post #10 of 25 Old 05-06-2011, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

There are hotties everywhere here. What caught me off guard was hearing all the Asian girls with Australian accents - I had no idea. There is quite a mix.

post #11 of 25 Old 05-06-2011, 06:30 PM
Gran Tirono

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Back in my Marine Corps days we had a lot of Detachments that would go to Perth and Darwin, and I heard all the stories about how panties would come flying off if you did something nice, like open a door for a lady. The word was that Aussie dudes aren't prone to treat their women like ladies and so the womenfolk their love it.

Of course, it is entirely possible the women there are just as crazy as their men. We did an underway replenishment with an Aussie ship, and their crew (they had women aboard, we were a dude-only float), flashed us pretty good after they sent the refueling lines over.

I'm just sad our float didn't stop there. We were all set, but the Captain decided we really just wanted to get home instead of enjoying one last libo call (All ours had been cancelled since East Timor happened).

post #12 of 25 Old 05-29-2011, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Prices here SUCK!

After being here in Australia for a month, I can confirm, definitively, that prices are out of control. I don't know how anyone can afford to live here. It's $100 to fill the car, $70 for basket of groceries, $8 for a pint, etc. Nice place but wow.

I made it to the local Honda/Ducati/Suzuki store here in Brisbane and discovered the following:

1. The 919 OEM windshield is available here if anyone wants one. It's $210 AUS (about $225 USD). I'll be happy to pick it up and bring it home if anyone really has to have it.

2. Bike prices are super high like everything else. I'm attaching a few pictures and note the price tags on the bikes. I also added the price to some of the file names. The 42,000 AUS Ducati just sold...

3. Honda has cool stuff here. CB1000r is no longer included though - they stopped selling them after 2010. The CB1100, CB400, CBR250, CBR125 and maybe a few others are here. The CB1000r pics are of a leftover 2009 they have here in the store.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CB400a.jpg (251.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg CB400b.jpg (199.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg CB400c_10990.jpg (276.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg CB1000r_15990.jpg (185.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg CB1000r_Cockpit.jpg (256.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg CB1000r_Forks.jpg (240.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg CB1000r_Front.jpg (222.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg CB1000r_Left.jpg (225.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg CB1000r_Rear.jpg (201.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg CB1000r_Right.jpg (217.9 KB, 5 views)

post #13 of 25 Old 05-29-2011, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Here are more pictures. I spent a lot of time test fitting the CB1000r and I like it. It's a more compact bike than the 919. It feels skinnier - tank is much slimmer between the knees. The ergonomics are 919-like, maybe a touch sportier. I really like the bike overall and would certainly like to have one.

I also sat on the CB1100 and really liked it. It'd a be great classic to tool around on. The Multi-Strada beak bothers me less now that I've seen the bike up close and test fit it. Too bad it's 25,500AUS!! The CBR125 (no pics) is 4900 - about the only new bike I could buy here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CB1100_AirCooled.jpg (208.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg CB1100_White.jpg (219.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg CBR250_6500.jpg (234.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DucCorse_42000.jpg (247.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DucMulti_25500.jpg (196.8 KB, 4 views)

post #14 of 25 Old 05-30-2011, 05:49 AM
lusting over something...

It's always been hard to see the pricing disparity of nearly everything here in Canada compared to the states. I've always been a 1/2 hr drive to the states where nearly everything is 50% less, and you don't have harmonized sales tax either....

But on a positive note, I absolutely LOVE that cb400.. I would rock that. Those are the ultimate city/rural road cruisers. Don't they have VTEC as well?

post #15 of 25 Old 05-30-2011, 10:23 AM

looking a little bit deeper, I think I'm in love. This is the perfect twisties bike...YouTube - ‪CB400 with BabyFace pipe‬‏

post #16 of 25 Old 05-30-2011, 12:07 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Looks like a blast to ride, I bet ig gets 60 mpg on the highway.

post #17 of 25 Old 05-30-2011, 01:14 PM
The Cripple

no pix of aussie chicks? lame!

post #18 of 25 Old 05-30-2011, 02:12 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

+1

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #19 of 25 Old 05-30-2011, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
no pix of aussie chicks? lame!
I'll see what I can do. The hot spots around Brisbane are mostly off the radar. I got invited to a biker bar near the Gold Coast on Friday and saw my first pole dance (this biker bar had a pole.) It was an Asian girl with a nice rack but flat hind quarter...

post #20 of 25 Old 05-31-2011, 09:39 AM

YouTube - ‪Honda CB400 Going Bonkers.wmv‬‏

look at this color combination. It's gorgeous.

EDIT:start @ 3:45. I embedded start time, but when I click play, it starts at the beginning.

post #21 of 25 Old 05-31-2011, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Yep, a baby 919. I'd like to try one. That guy is here in Australia - got a New South Wales plate. Dealers do a lot of demos here - fare more common than in the US. With the American accent I have not asked as they'll know I'm not buying. I do plan to rent a bike soon though.

post #22 of 25 Old 06-03-2011, 02:06 PM
Tirone

The CB400 has similar performance specs to the Suzuki GS500 - also available in naked in Aust. And yes, the newer ones have Vtec. Also a lot of Grey Import ones over here - not brought in by Honda - but they are usually the older ones without Vtec

@mambomonster, have you thought of approaching a bike shop with an "i'll buy the bike and return it X time later with a guaranteed buy back price" offer? Might be cheaper than a long term rent. Otherwise, you'll be stuck with an occasional rent from someone. (My local bike shop has a 600 Hornet for sale for $3,990 - 2nd hand of course.)

My riding buds get together at the Belmont Tavern every Friday night. We do have one Yank there so you could exchange accents (Belmont Tavern is the one just up from Meadowlands Rd along Belmont Rd, NOT the one on the corner of Wynnum Rd. They get there from 7pm and on and sit outside.

Brissy has some bloody awesome riding not far from it...

YouTube - ‪Honda 919 / Hornet 900 - Bicycles & Waterfalls‬‏ (One hour from Brisbane)
YouTube - ‪Suzuki GS500 Vs Mt Barney Twisties Revisited, Mt Lindesay H'way, - Downhill Run‬‏ (Same road as above but diff bike and the other direction)
YouTube - ‪Suzuki GS500 - High Speed Twisties‬‏ (just south of the Gold Coast)
YouTube - ‪Scenes From an Australian Hinterland. Suzuki GS500 w/ Go Pro Camera‬‏ (Gold Coast hinterland)
YouTube - ‪Suzuki GS 500 - Back Roads - Cows & Floodways & Grids OH MY!‬‏ (hour outside Ipswich)
YouTube - ‪Suzuki GS500 on Mt Prosper Sweepers & Twisties‬‏ (I'll be doing this road again this weekend on the 919 and hope to get some additional footage)

There are other roads as well besides these. And while every man and his dog does the Mt Nebo / Mt Glorious combo, I avoid the area like the plague - too many knobheads and enforcement.

If you do end up getting yourself a bike while in Brisbane and want someone to go for a ride with, hit me up. I live here

Michael

post #23 of 25 Old 06-03-2011, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Thanks Michael. I am sending you a PM in 5 minutes - definitely need more local intel.

post #24 of 25 Old 06-08-2011, 11:48 AM
Tirone

Did the Mt Prosper run again, as I said. And I got more footage than expected - like the aftermath of a headon car crash. Didn't get the actual crash cause it happened about 6 or so cars in front, but got a bit of us riding up to it and some walkaround footage. Wowsers!

Michael

post #25 of 25 Old 06-08-2011, 11:48 AM
Tirone

Did the Mt Prosper run again, as I said. And I got more footage than expected - like the aftermath of a headon car crash. Didn't get the actual crash cause it happened about 6 or so cars in front, but got a bit of us riding up to it and some walkaround footage. Wowsers!

Michael

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode