Ride Mt Evans! Colorado's tallest mountain! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 15 Old 06-04-2010, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Ride Mt Evans! Colorado's tallest mountain!

Yesterday I went on a ride that I've been looking forward to for awhile. I met up with Hope & her daughter on Hope's Spyder, and Mtnceguy and went to the top of Mt Evans. 14,260ft up in the atmosphere! Justintyme was invited but unfortunately couldn't make it...maybe next time!

The ride began at one of our standby meet-up locations, a conveniently placed Starbucks in Golden Colorado at the foot of the mountains. We got a late start because we all had life events encroaching on our "Fun time", but even so, we hit the road just after noon.

ROUTE

We started by riding over Lookout Mountain where Buffalo Bill is buried, which is a nice twisty road...it's a pretty technical road if your moving at a decent clip and you have to share with tons of bicyclists and slow cars. After assaulting Lookout, we headed west up to Idaho Springs, CO on I-70where we caught CO 103 Chicago Creek Road up to the foot of Mt Evans. Co 103 is a really great motorcycle road, I can see spending a lot of time there this summer! Beautiful scenery and excellent winding, twisting road....

We arrived at the Echo Lake Lodge at the foot of Mt Evans and took a short break, and then headed on up....and up....and up. There was a $3 fee for entering the state park, which is well worth the price! The temps were in the low-mid 80's down in the flatlands, but up in the hills it was in the 50's...the rangers at the fee station had a bulletin board which posted the current temp at the summit...a chilly 36 degrees! add in windchill and it was well below freezing. The rangers also warned us to slow down for the frost-heaves in the roadway...we headed on up! This road is one of those that resembles a bunch of Z's and W's all linked together. it also is not very wide and has no guardrails...despite many places with a sheer drop off of thousands of feet....

The wee little speck on the road at the ice field is ME!

We stopped at Summit Lake, which is a couple thousand feet short of the actual summit, but is well above timberline, so there were unobstructed views that extended virtually to the ends of the earth...marvelous! We hiked a bit, past the lake which was mostly frozen over so that we could admire the views and take a photo opportunity.

After taking in the thin air, we hopped back on the bikes and went for the tippy top. The road ends only 150 feet or so of the very top of the mountain, and there is an observatory and viewing platform there....there was once a small lodge, the ruins of which make up the viewing platform. Apparently the lodge suffered a propane explosion in the late 70's and was never rebuilt after it went Kablooey. I think thats kind of a shame, from the poster boards it looked like a cool place!

Juan Valdez and his trusty Mountain Goat were evidently in attendance. Hope's daughter Deena got up close to it, and I warned her not to get all goaty. It was a sight to see...

It was very cold up there, and there is not much air to breathe at that altitude, so we decided to head back down. We stopped at the Echo Lake Lodge at the base of the mountian for a cup of hot chocolate with one of colorado's most rare residents...

After finishing our cocoa, we went out to get on the bikes and Mtnceguy quickly realized he had killed his battery by leaving his grip heaters on. He swears he's gonna build in a relay for them soon so that it doesn't happen again. Fortunately it's really downhill from there...for like ten miles in either direction on the road, so he coasted off to pop-start his 919. It started, sort of, but was running really badly and would not idle well for a few miles so we kept going downhill trying to see if it would improve. eventually it did, and neither he nor I really knew what was causing it to run badly. The RPMs were surging up and then dropping abruptly and the exhaust was popping...we guessed that his battery discharged pretty deeply when he killed it, and I think the extreme altitude may have been a factor too.

In any case it got better all by itself so we finished up the ride by zipping down to the town of Evergreen, and then hitting the interstate back home. All in all, it was a great ride and I'd like to do it again in a month or so. I also really want to attack Pike's Peak this year...stay tuned!

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-04-2010, 02:16 PM
Gets censored

coooool. thanks for sharing.

post #3 of 15 Old 06-04-2010, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase

Sorry for the false advertising, MT ELBERT is Colorado's tallest mountain...Mt Evans is the highest road, even so.

I was having a blond moment...my apologies.

"The Shadow"

post #4 of 15 Old 06-04-2010, 04:09 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Very cool ride!

post #5 of 15 Old 06-04-2010, 05:26 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Is that ice I see on the road?

Great pics, thanks for sharing!!

post #6 of 15 Old 06-04-2010, 05:31 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Man you guys live in a postcard. Beautiful pics. Thanks for posting them.

post #7 of 15 Old 06-04-2010, 05:32 PM
Tirone is my middle name

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

nice pics Declan, thanks for sharing.

I Don't try to explain to people why I ride a motorcycle
"For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible."

'08 Yamaha WR290R/X
'09 KLX140L (wifes bike)
post #8 of 15 Old 06-04-2010, 05:52 PM
The Cripple

hey declan, i wouldnt be surprised if the bike didnt run well due to low voltage from the battery. its a common issue with the vlx, when the battery is drained 1 cyl will not fire, flunctuate, struggle, cough, etc etc. most people miss it and think it's somethin else. hearing that it got better the more the engine was ran is a good sign : )

post #9 of 15 Old 06-04-2010, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewebay1 View Post
Is that ice I see on the road?

No, it wasn't quite ice...the road was not really wet either, just really moist. since speed wasn't an issue on that road the traction was adequate.

Pvster,

Thanks for the reality check! Mtnceguy thought that might have been the reason, I thought it might also be caused by the plugs fouling up since the bikes were running really rich (like crap generally) from being in the thin air..

"The Shadow"
post #10 of 15 Old 06-04-2010, 06:52 PM
Hippie Tinkerer

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Gosh I love livin' in Colorado!! Not sure I'd even own a bike if I didn't have all these fantastic roads and great scenery...not to mention the great riding buddies!!

The bikes battery got deep cycled, badly (grip heaters on for 30 min), thankfully it was all downhill from where we were, so after some bucking and sputtering for a few miles my girl came to life again, glad she didn't hold my stupidity against me! I have been experimenting with the bars I ran the heaters in and what not so I didn't permenantly wire them in yet, now I know I like these bars and the set-up, so a switched relay is next....

I'm glad Declan took the time to snap some photo's, got some great shots too, THANKS BUDDY...

Pike's Peak Next!!!

Pics: https://www.wristtwisters.com/album.php?albumid=176

Build List in Spoiler
Spoiler:

SOLD SOLD SOLD

When Sold:
2004 Honda 919 Silver and Black w/red accents
599 Headlight
Koso Gauges DB-02r
GiPro gear indicator
Buell M2 shield - plasti dip black
Givi Crash bars
Dynojet PCIII, Custom Akrapovic map
Akrapovic GSXR 750 Exhaust, Shorty Carbon fiber Low mount
Custom weld job on OEM header, to enable use of center stand and GSXR exhaust
VFR front fender, re-shaped and CF wrapped
Seargent seat w/ gel insert
Custom LED Rear lights w/ Vizi-tech flasher
Competition Works Fender Eliminator, modified
Front 3-way LED Turn Signals flushmount via cbr1000r
6-Spoke wheel conversion ( 900rr-rear / F3-front ) Powdercoated white, Plasti-dipped black
Michelin Pilot Road 3 - New @ 19940 8/10/11 190/55r17 rear
Dyna Beads for tire balancing
17t / 44t Sprockets, 520 conversion from LDH
New All-balls bearings thru-out 6/2012
Piaa horns 400 & 500 hertz
Ohlins rear shock from an F3, Re-Valved/Sprung- By Pro Pilot Suspension
F4i Forks, custom sprung/sealed/valved, Plasti-dipped Black
ASV shorty clutch and front brake levers - Black W/Red Adj.
Tech-Spec custom tank Pads
Napoleon bar end mirrors
SW-Motech center stand
Custom Handle Bars with Grip Heaters and OEM hidden switch, Hi/Lo heat
FuzeBlocks FZ-1 Power Distribution
Shorai Battery
F2P garage door opener wired to brake switch
Hydraulic rear brake switch
RC51 front brakes SP1, with 10 button rotors
Buell Ulysses Dropped Foot Peg conversion
Powdercoated: 22+ parts
etc, etc,
post #11 of 15 Old 06-04-2010, 07:32 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntnceguy View Post
Gosh I love livin' in Colorado!! Not sure I'd even own a bike if I didn't have all these fantastic roads and great scenery...not to mention the great riding buddies!!

The bikes battery got deep cycled, badly (grip heaters on for 30 min), thankfully it was all downhill from where we were, so after some bucking and sputtering for a few miles my girl came to life again, glad she didn't hold my stupidity against me! I have been experimenting with the bars I ran the heaters in and what not so I didn't permenantly wire them in yet, now I know I like these bars and the set-up, so a switched relay is next....

I'm glad Declan took the time to snap some photo's, got some great shots too, THANKS BUDDY...

Pike's Peak Next!!!
I installed the Electrical Connection universal fuse block, seems to work well.
Power Plate

post #12 of 15 Old 06-04-2010, 07:54 PM
Allons-y!

Garage
Nice pictures. I'd do that, but you see one corn field, you've seen them all. How was the 919's fueling at that altitude? Any issues with running lean? Again, Great pics.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it" ~ Ayn Rand
post #13 of 15 Old 06-04-2010, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhonda1987 View Post
Nice pictures. I'd do that, but you see one corn field, you've seen them all. How was the 919's fueling at that altitude? Any issues with running lean? Again, Great pics.
Fueling is a problem at that altitude...but I think it's more that they run rich...less air to mix with the fuel, right? or am I backwards on that? it acted like it was running extra rich and smelled like it too.
Anyway, my 919 didn't want to idle very well, it was just on the edge of dying. the idle rpms dropped down to around 600-700, which is pretty low.

"The Shadow"
post #14 of 15 Old 06-04-2010, 09:07 PM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 

Great pics, I wish I could have made it, I'm officially Jealous!

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #15 of 15 Old 06-05-2010, 10:13 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Amazing pictures. One of these days I am gonna either haul or ride my bike out there to enjoy what you get to call home.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode