Recommendations for riding in British Columbia - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 20 Old 04-05-2011, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Recommendations for riding in British Columbia

Greetings B.C. WT members!

In mid-July my brother and I are planning to spend a few days riding in British Columbia. We will probably only have enough time to go as far North as Kamloops or Revelstoke. We probably won't have enough time to get as far East as Calgary.

On Day 1 we will take back roads from Seattle up to the border, then spend the night at Whistler, and begin our B.C. ride there. We want to avoid as many major highways and freeways as possible, and want to focus on twisty mountain roads.

From the map it looks like there are a lot of great mountain roads within 200-300km of the Washington border.

If you only had 2 or 3 days to ride your favorite roads in southern British Columbia - starting at Whistler, heading east, and circling back to either the Sumas or Blaine border crossing - which roads would you choose? Help us plan a memorable trip!

We'll have firm dates soon - maybe we can meet up with some WT members along the way for a group ride!

Once we cross back into Washington, we plan to spend 2 days (500-600 miles) riding the N. Cascades Highway into eastern Washington and then circling down between Mount Rainier and Mount St. Helens. There are SO MANY great roads through there!

Thanks so much for your help! We appreciate any recommendations you have.

Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-05-2011, 06:07 PM
Tirone is my middle name

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

watch for moose is my best reccomendation I got for you since I've never been there. PM Rickard 919 if he doesn't reply here soon, he would probably be able to help you out with some planning.

I Don't try to explain to people why I ride a motorcycle
"For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible."

'08 Yamaha WR290R/X
'09 KLX140L (wifes bike)
post #3 of 20 Old 04-05-2011, 09:19 PM
919 aka Hornet 900

hwy. 6 is a good one, from Vernon to Nelway. Me, Z1 Jockey and Rickard
went that way last year, amazing twisties.

Let us know your dates, we are going riding again this summer...

post #4 of 20 Old 04-06-2011, 11:06 AM
GitrFixdUp

My local rides!!!

From Whistler, I'd go North through Pemberton, to Kamloops, then to Vernon, and take Hwy 6 to Nakusp, rip through the Kootenays via Kaslo, Nelson, coming back to Rock Creek. From Rock creek, a great ride is up to Kelowna, or over to Osoyoos, and through Oroville border crossing, or back to Vancouver/Abotsford and your border crossing of choice.

Whistler, BC to Rock Creek, BC - Google Maps

This map will take you as far as Rock Creek, how you get back from there is up to you.

Let us know when you're coming, there are Hornets throughout the Okanagan

RG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoney View Post
Greetings B.C. WT members!

In mid-July my brother and I are planning to spend a few days riding in British Columbia. We will probably only have enough time to go as far North as Kamloops or Revelstoke. We probably won't have enough time to get as far East as Calgary.

On Day 1 we will take back roads from Seattle up to the border, then spend the night at Whistler, and begin our B.C. ride there. We want to avoid as many major highways and freeways as possible, and want to focus on twisty mountain roads.

From the map it looks like there are a lot of great mountain roads within 200-300km of the Washington border.

If you only had 2 or 3 days to ride your favorite roads in southern British Columbia - starting at Whistler, heading east, and circling back to either the Sumas or Blaine border crossing - which roads would you choose? Help us plan a memorable trip!

We'll have firm dates soon - maybe we can meet up with some WT members along the way for a group ride!

Once we cross back into Washington, we plan to spend 2 days (500-600 miles) riding the N. Cascades Highway into eastern Washington and then circling down between Mount Rainier and Mount St. Helens. There are SO MANY great roads through there!

Thanks so much for your help! We appreciate any recommendations you have.

Mike

post #5 of 20 Old 04-06-2011, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Thanks for the great recommendations! I just got done looking at the route on the map and it looks like an amazing ride!
We would probably continue from Rock Creek to Abbotsford to cross the border.

Are there plenty of gas stations along the route?

Looking forward to meeting and riding with you guys!

post #6 of 20 Old 04-06-2011, 12:32 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I would need days to ride that route as I would have to pull over every 20min to stop, take in the sights, and LOTS of Photos.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #7 of 20 Old 04-06-2011, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07919Dave View Post
I would need days to ride that route as I would have to pull over every 20min to stop, take in the sights, and LOTS of Photos.
I'm also wondering if 3 days will be enough to do this route!

post #8 of 20 Old 04-06-2011, 12:41 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

It is only 14hrs but I would seriously need 7 days min. Change the veiw setting to terrain and zoom in. BC is a place on my bucket list to visit.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #9 of 20 Old 04-06-2011, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

I changed it to Terrain, zoomed in, and also selected Photos, to see some scenic photos taken along the route.
I think you're right, WAY too much to look at, it might take a lot longer to do this route than I thought...

post #10 of 20 Old 04-06-2011, 06:17 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Like Mr.T had said, let us know the dates you'll be up here. I am willing to ride that way to meet up with you guys as well. In fact, I will be riding out to Vancouver at the end of June and was thinking of heading south from there to Seattle and maybe Portland before heading home. As long as I get my passport by then.

Spoiler:

post #11 of 20 Old 06-20-2011, 08:24 AM
Tirone

Just a word of warning to anyone planning a trip to BC. The government has brought in new speeding laws where an excessive charge (40km over) will result in a seven day vehicle confiscation.

This is from the official website:
Vehicle impoundment
Besides the violation ticket fine and driver risk premium, police can immediately impound your vehicle for seven days for those travelling 40 km or more over the posted speed limit. This could escalate to 30 or 60 days for repeat offenders.
The owner is then required to pay the vehicle towing and storage fees to get their vehicle back.

40 km over would mean a $328 fine, tow bill ($100+) and storage fees at $60/day. If you are a tourist you can add a week of motel bills, or transportation cost back home, then back to BC to recover your seized vehicle.
It isn't hard to be doing 40km over the limit, especially where a lot of the secondary highway speed limits are set at 80 km/h.
There are lots of fun roads here, but I'll be doing most of my riding in the USA this summer.

post #12 of 20 Old 06-20-2011, 08:55 AM
Former 919er

Wow! It's 50 km/h over in Ontario for similar punishment. That's a pretty tough one.

post #13 of 20 Old 06-20-2011, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

That's pretty harsh! 40 over is still only 74mph! It would be so hard for me to go the speed limit through twisty mountain roads. A couple weekends back, my friend and I took off with no destination in mind and ended up riding 445 miles (~715km) around the perimeter of Mt. Rainier. Many of the roads were 55-65mph (88-104kph) and we were going 80mph (~130kph) much of the day.
I had planned to spend a few days riding B.C. this summer but I'd probably end up on extended vacation in Canada!!!

post #14 of 20 Old 06-20-2011, 09:26 PM
Two Wheeled Warlord

From Whistler I'd go North to Pemberton and then across the Duffy Lake Road. It goes from Coastal rain forest to high alpine to dry sage semi arid (except this year as you know it's pretty wet everywhere).

After Lillooet you can cut over to Kamloops. Right around there you can decide if you're headed to Revelstoke then you'll stay on #1 or cut over to Hwy 97 and head for Vernon. There are lots of side trips and the like around here too so if you wind up with extra time you might want to check out local colour here or there.

Before reaching Vernon I'd cut off and take Westside Road to Kelowna. From Kelowna still south to Penticton and then Green Mountain road to Olalla, Princeton and then continuing along #3 through Manning park and back to the Vancouver area.

Be aware that a lot of these are old mountain roads so gravel, broken pavement, farm animals, and wildlife are possible. Also in tourist season you can get trains of RVs clogging up the works. If you add in Revelstoke and the Kootenays you'll be adding quite a bit of mileage.

I'm right about halfway between Kamloops and Revelstoke so I'll keep an eye on this in case of a potential meet up.

post #15 of 20 Old 07-02-2011, 10:10 PM
Two Wheeled Warlord

Well I just went and did this both ways today; the road is just about perfect. There's about 100 feet of whooped out gravel just East of Lillooet and otherwise it's perfect.

Chilly early AM so if summer doesn't come soon bring insulated gear.

post #16 of 20 Old 07-03-2011, 01:17 PM
919 aka Hornet 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggy View Post
Just a word of warning to anyone planning a trip to BC. The government has brought in new speeding laws where an excessive charge (40km over) will result in a seven day vehicle confiscation.

Vehicle impoundment
Besides the violation ticket fine and driver risk premium, police can immediately impound your vehicle for seven days for those travelling 40 km or more over the posted speed limit. This could escalate to 30 or 60 days for repeat offenders.
The owner is then required to pay the vehicle towing and storage fees to get their vehicle back.

40 km over would mean a $328 fine, tow bill ($100+) and storage fees at $60/day. If you are a tourist you can add a week of motel bills, or transportation cost back home, then back to BC to recover your seized vehicle.
It isn't hard to be doing 40km over the limit, especially where a lot of the secondary highway speed limits are set at 80 km/h.
There are lots of fun roads here, but I'll be doing most of my riding in the USA this summer.
Thanks for the heads up foggy, we were riding quite fast
last summer. We'll have to be more carefull this year...

post #17 of 20 Old 08-08-2011, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

As mentioned in another post, my plans changed this summer and I'm not able to get out for the multi-day ride through BC I had originally planned.

I'm going to start planning now for next summer. (highways, hotels, etc.)

After taking everyone's input and combining it, here's the plan so far: I'll start just east of Seattle and take the back roads up to the Sumas border crossing and continue up to Whistler, then follow 99/97 east to Vernon, take 6 from Vernon to Salmo, and then follow 3 west to Abbotsford.

My first question is, do you think 3 is a worthwhile highway to take all the way from Salmo to Abbotsford, or should I cross back into Washington at Osoyoos - there's plenty of great riding south of both border crossings, so I'm happy to take either crossing and spend another couple days zig-zagging across Washington on my way back home.

post #18 of 20 Old 08-08-2011, 02:01 PM
Why not?

Bummer deal you did not make the trip this year... I can not say as to the best routes but I can say say watch out for the "birds" in the sky.

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...rds-27804.html

Hope you have a great run when you go.

P.S. They do not have any "birds" in the sky up in the Yukon Territories. This I know.

Did you see that?!Did you see that!?
post #19 of 20 Old 08-08-2011, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

I enjoy a spirited ride, but not at the speeds some of those guys are riding. I value my license too much!

post #20 of 20 Old 08-08-2011, 03:22 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggy View Post

Vehicle impoundment

That's unfortunate...

That law sounds like it was designed to get riders to run from the cops!

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode