post #1 of 20 Old 08-09-2011, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Doing things the hard way

Rate your State/Province/County etc for rider friendliness

A - Awesome
B - About the same as a car
C - 2nd class citizen
D - F###ing Mad Max out there.

Quebec
I have a real love hate relationship with this place, so here goes. I have been riding in the US and other areas of Canada so I have some frame of reference.

The Good
  • Cheap insurance: $225/year for the 919 (but short riding season)
  • Education: Everyone has to take theory + practical course + 11 months of learners permit, unless grandfathered
  • Proximity to the US: Better roads and cheaper toys
  • Sights: Some great scenery
  • Canada: C'mon... who could hate Canada?
The Bad
  • Winter: Nasty. Even if it was nice, there is a winter tire law from December 15 to March 15.
  • Roads: Criminally bad roads in much of Quebec. huge potholes and crevices in the roads everywhere. Also, bridges and tunnels will fall on you. Low speed limits. You need to go way out to find anywhere with good riding. Stay away from Montreal.
  • Drivers: Aggressive and lousy drivers will cut you off, plow into you, pass in a merge lane, blow signs and lights... whatever it takes. I blame the No Fault Insurance laws.
  • Registration/plates: $600+ year for the 919, a sport bike would be $1400+. I would rather this be on my insurance so at least I could prove myself and reduce the price.
  • License: $60+ extra/year for moto on top of car license (it's the same @#$% paper!! why does it cost extra!?). Fees seem to get added every single year. Maybe another 40 this year for Montreal residents
  • Toys: Poor availability, and stuff averages about 10-20% more expensive than the US, AND THEN there is 15% tax.
  • Police: Expensive fines and they jack up your license.
  • Miscellaneous: No lanesplitting, no right on red in Montreal, no nothing. Also the speed camera "experiment" was supposed to be over a while ago. Starting to re-add tolls.
Grade: C+
Honestly I can deal with everything else and I would have given it a B-, but the roads are just too crummy to be much fun.

"No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-09-2011, 09:52 AM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

Warren, Sussex, and Hunterdon Counties in New Jersey are very conducive to riding, but that as far as it goes. Our state government could care less about motorcycles except as a revenue source. My bike registration is more than my car registration for the year. Grade D

After 48 States and 9 Canadian Provinces, I will still pick West Virginia as my all time favorite with Arkansas as second in regards to fun to ride. The Smokey Mountains are always a treat. As far as scenery is concerned, go west young man...go west.

Doc

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #3 of 20 Old 08-09-2011, 10:12 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Indiana
I have a real love hate relationship with this place, so here goes. I have been riding in the mid-west and eastern US so I have some frame of reference.

The Good

Cheap insurance: $100/month for the S3 (Full Coverage)
Education: Multiple choice test and riding test required
Moto GP
Sights: Some great scenery
Hoosier Hospitality

The Bad

Winter: Two months of nasty. I usually ride from March to December.
Roads: Everything in the center of the state is quite flat. I have to ride an hour and a half to get to decent roads. Indiana does a terrible job keeping up with the twisty side roads and has a bad habit of doing chip and seal on my favorite roads.
Drivers: Slow and stupid. No one pays attention as they are too busy putting on makeup, buckling their kid's car seat in the back, eating a taco, texting, and fiddling with the radio to watch where they are going.
Registration/plates: $100 yearly for the S3.
Toys: Everyone here rides a Harley so buy something ultra exotic like a Triumph or KTM for under $8500 and everyone thinks you're rich.
Police: They have a personal vendetta against my pocketbook. I have never gotten a warning just 27 tickets in the last 10 years.
Miscellaneous: No lanesplitting. No helmet law.
Grade: B-
Honestly I can deal with everything else and I would have given it a B+, but the winter sucks.

In 1915 T. Roosevelt said, in a speech to the KofC, "There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all. "

post #4 of 20 Old 08-09-2011, 10:49 AM
MSF blacksheep

Illinois has-
no helmet law
I pay 600 a year for maxed everything coverage
No inspections
License tag $38 bucks a year
A very active abate chapter
Minimal equipment requirements
A free motorcycle training program state wide
was the only state to increase student attendance in motorcycle classes last year

Crappy winters
No lane splitting

Id give it an A

post #5 of 20 Old 08-09-2011, 11:20 AM
Discen

Nova Scotia

The Good
-Cheap insurance, I pay $270 a year, no matter what bike or displacement
-Cheap Registration, about $60 a year..$15 every 2 years for an inspection
-Good roads (condition) compared to some other provinces I've been to, although of course there are some terrible roads
-Good scenery depending on what your into, Cape breton highlands are nice
-Good people, nice people, although that goes for almost all of Canada but in atlantic canada everyone is nice are will do anything they can to help
-Friendly to bikers
-Cops are scarce, and even when you do get caught they are pretty easy on bikers unless you are being a complete asshat
-Quiet and laid back place to live

The Bad

-After awhile, you get bored of riding here (like myself)
-Fines for stunting/50kph are excessive but that's just the way it is
-Winters suck, enough said
-We don't get some motorcycling events other provinces do (Honda and Harley are the only test ride events that come here, other then that it's up to the dealer)
-Lots of Old people! and we all know what that equals to...bad driving, although it's not that bad but on every ride you will atleast see one person doing something completely stupid
-Teenagers who drive here seem mildly retarded, I think they are worst then the old people
-Not really close to the U.S boarder, but it's not a far drive
-Some rural roads are miserable (Condition wise)

Overall I give it a B-

04 Honda 919
00 Honda Shadow ACE
post #6 of 20 Old 08-09-2011, 11:43 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Southeast Idaho:

Scenery: Can't be beat. Sawtooth mountains, Snake River plain, Teton mountains, Jackson Hole, Yellowstone, Island park, Sun Valley, etc. All within a couple hours. Have yet to ride them all, just need more time. A+++

Weather: Depends on the year, but can usually start riding in March/April and have to quit in October/November. Lots of rock on the roads in the spring (we have an endless supply of lava rock, so they crush it and spread it on the roads), so have to be real careful for a month or so until they sweep it all up. B-

Insurance: Just dropped to less than $200 for full coverage for a year w/Progressive. I was lucky to get rated when I had no tickets. Still have none, but am knocking on wood. A+

Drivers: Well, in a perfect world, all cagers would just be fellow motorcycle riders that just had to take the car to work that day, because they had to haul something big, or take the kids somewhere. They at least know how to treat riders when in a cage. But, we know that's not the case. Let's just say I love my new Stebel and I had to use it three times within two days of install. C-

So, taking into account that the Drivers rating is the same everywhere, I think Idaho is looking pretty good! You all should move here!

No, on second thought, don't. That's what makes Idaho, Idaho. The low-population solidarity.

EDIT: Forgot to add an overall rating. Somewhere between an A- and high B+.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #7 of 20 Old 08-09-2011, 01:48 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Washington State:

The good:
- No insurance required (you read it correctly) - not sure if this belongs in the good or bad yet... so far good A+
- Excellent roads! got em all, sweepers, twisties, straights; next to bodies of water, up in elevation, deserts, and forests; all in range for day-rides (from Seattle) A+++
- Cars/Trucks for the most part have good awareness for riders, but you always have that few... A
- Weather is good during Spring and Summer, we usually only get a week or two of anything over 85*. For the last month, we've been at 65-75* with a few going up to 80. B (continued on the bad)
- Tabs are about $50 for the 9er. Not too shabby, except when they were trying to build a monorail a few years back and shafted the people. Then they never built the monorail but kept the money and land. B-
- People are overall friendly, if they see you need help on the freeway, you'll usually get someone pulling over and asking if you need anything. A+ (More so out of the city, than in city)
- One block, 2 coffee shops. A+

The bad:
- We have more cloudy days than any other city in the country, yet we have the highest sunglasses sale per capita in the nation. Go figure... C
- Rain. C
- The LEOs (specially state patrol) will pull you over for going 6 over on the slabs, it's been done. Also have gotten 2 speeding tickets worth $350 in the last month, I'm selling a Corbin seat very soon... D-
- Motorcycle riders have boomed in the last 4 years (probably everywhere as gas prices went up) and now we have an abundance squids f*in it up for everyone, mostly in the city but they can be found out in the favorite spots. Correlates to issue with LEOs. C-

Overall, I give WA state an A-.

post #8 of 20 Old 08-09-2011, 03:10 PM
Le So Cal Troll

So cal... riders paradise.

live right in ventura... 10 min away from malibu canyons, with its miles upon miles of awesome twisties.... or i could go 30 min north n be up in oaji hwy 150 / hwy 33 and enjoy some more sweeping turns.... or another 15 min past there and be up in santa barbra, off the 154 / 192. i can go from sealevel to 7500ft up in the mater of about 45min, and be standing on the peak lookin at the ocean 25 mi away.

OR i could start at my place n go south and be at the base of hwy 2 and the angeles crest in about 45min for some more twisty fun.

needless to say the availability of twisties is awesome... oh and well so cal weather need i saw more.... riding seasons... wtf is that, i ride year round... hehe.

Insurance isnt bad if you kno where to look... 21yrs old, a single 2 pt offense (burnout in my truck), just liability is 120 / yr. registration is 90.

post #9 of 20 Old 08-09-2011, 04:16 PM
Aquilifer

Nor Cal... riders paradise.

There are roughly four "go to" rides within 30 minutes of just about anywhere.
If you're looking for an all day ride, there is an absolute plethora of awesomeness to ride - You can easily nail a couple Sierra Passes in a day.

Two days and you will be tired of turning.

Bay Area freeways / cities / taxes / politics / whatever = moot if you're considering quality of rides.

post #10 of 20 Old 08-09-2011, 08:42 PM
Speed Lover

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiak919 View Post
A - Awesome
B - About the same as a car
C - 2nd class citizen
D - F###ing Mad Max out there.

Quebec
I have a real love hate relationship with this place, so here goes. I have been riding in the US and other areas of Canada so I have some frame of reference.

The Good
  • Cheap insurance: $225/year for the 919 (but short riding season)
  • Education: Everyone has to take theory + practical course + 11 months of learners permit, unless grandfathered
  • Proximity to the US: Better roads and cheaper toys
  • Sights: Some great scenery
  • Canada: C'mon... who could hate Canada?
The Bad
  • Winter: Nasty. Even if it was nice, there is a winter tire law from December 15 to March 15.
  • Roads: Criminally bad roads in much of Quebec. huge potholes and crevices in the roads everywhere. Also, bridges and tunnels will fall on you. Low speed limits. You need to go way out to find anywhere with good riding. Stay away from Montreal.
  • Drivers: Aggressive and lousy drivers will cut you off, plow into you, pass in a merge lane, blow signs and lights... whatever it takes. I blame the No Fault Insurance laws.
  • Registration/plates: $600+ year for the 919, a sport bike would be $1400+. I would rather this be on my insurance so at least I could prove myself and reduce the price.
  • License: $60+ extra/year for moto on top of car license (it's the same @#$% paper!! why does it cost extra!?). Fees seem to get added every single year. Maybe another 40 this year for Montreal residents
  • Toys: Poor availability, and stuff averages about 10-20% more expensive than the US, AND THEN there is 15% tax.
  • Police: Expensive fines and they jack up your license.
  • Miscellaneous: No lanesplitting, no right on red in Montreal, no nothing. Also the speed camera "experiment" was supposed to be over a while ago. Starting to re-add tolls.
Grade: C+
Honestly I can deal with everything else and I would have given it a B-, but the roads are just too crummy to be much fun.
Dude come on C+? I don't mean to do any bashing here but you apparently haven't ridden bikes in the lower states?
The good you listed was;
Cheap insurance $225 (no cheaper than here)
Education- If they made me do all of that here I'd just ride without a license. (this is out of control government regulation)
Then you give being close to the US as benefit to living there?
Scenery this one I will give you full benefit of!
Canada- Who could hate Canada? Seriously if I had to list all the bad things about riding there that you listed and then the weak list you gave for benefits when you only have about four months out of the year to ride under the conditions you described I'd give Quebec a big fat F! I mean I cannot believe what you are paying for license and registration, that is ridiculous! You really need to get out more!

In Texas we don't have lot's of great roads to ride near by but for the most part our roads are really good. We can ride literally 12 months out of the year and insurance, gas, parts and bikes are fairly cheap compared to most other places, but I wouldn't even give Texas and A I'd have to give places like Tennessee, North Carolina and parts of California an A.

post #11 of 20 Old 08-10-2011, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

This isn't the AAA Guide, lighten up.

Anyone from outside the US & Canada?

post #12 of 20 Old 08-10-2011, 06:38 PM
Speed Lover

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiak919 View Post
This isn't the AAA Guide, lighten up.

Anyone from outside the US & Canada?
That was light, very light.

post #13 of 20 Old 08-10-2011, 07:36 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRCajun View Post
That was light, very light.
Well, you kind of killed the mood of the thread.....

Southern Colorado;

The good,

A. Plains and mountains. I can go West (young man) to the mountains and hit the twists or I can go east and enjoy the Ranch land at the end of the Great Plains.
B. No helmet law.
C. Roads, I have never seen an area where the roads have been bad.
D. The weather. We can ride year round if one chooses to. Snows one day and the next it is melted here on the Front Range. Just have to watch out for the gravel.
E. Registration is based of what you paid for the bike and goes down every year. Year one $500 because I had to pay taxes on it. This year only $50 so I say it is good.
F. NOTHING EXTRA FOR YOU ENDORSEMENT! I paid a one time fee to change the license over to have the endorsement on it but after that it is free.
And last but not least, THE SCENERY!!! Some of the best in the entire US.

The Bad,

A. THE DRIVERS!!!! I hate CO drivers wether I am in my Truck or on my bike
B. No Helmet Law.
C. Some cities have noise laws. Denver being one of them. Wont let you ride with aftermarket exhaust if it goes over a certain Db level.
D. Squid riders. 5 military bases located in SOCO so when these young guy get back from Iraq they buy a bike so they can feel that rush again and sure enough they have no gear off of base and ride like asses. I know the death wish feeling but not sure i would go that far. Also they make up little Squid clubs so you can't ride in the city on a weekend night with out a cop staring you down.
E. The Hells Angels/Sons of Anarchy wannabes. Every asshole with a cruiser needs to buy straight pipes, chrome it out and where a leather vest, and no other gear, and act tuff on the weekend. You see Joe Blow in the parking lot at work on Friday and on Sat he has an earring in and acts like an asshole. (Edit: Watch the South Park episodes about Fags, ei Harley riders. I know every one has them but they are bad in CO.)

Nearly got into a fight with a guy like that. He acted all tuff and ruff until I called him out in front a crowded bar and got right into his face. Me at 5'8" him at 6'5" he could have easily won if he wanted to go but I put enough bark and logic in my fight he back down and walked off. They are easily spotted as are most tools.

Overall grade. A

Note I didn't put in Insurance as that changes from person to person.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #14 of 20 Old 08-10-2011, 07:43 PM
Speed Lover

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07919Dave View Post
Well, you kind of killed the mood of the thread.....
Oh come on! Are you kidding me? Do I detect a tone of whining in that comment?

post #15 of 20 Old 08-10-2011, 09:56 PM
919 aka Hornet 900

Lightbulb

Alberta is pretty good,
-80% of the time it rains at night
-All highways are in good condition
-My insurance is 300$ a year for full coverage
-Registration is 45$ a year
-Don't need the safety course to get your bike liscence

The bad,
-All the twistie roads are 3 hours from Edmonton, in the mountains
west of here.
-Some drivers are not paying attention, just have to stay aware
who's around you.

Not to many cops here, I don't know if that's a good or bad thing.
I ride faster then I would elsewhere in Canada, which is fun.
So do other people, maniacs everywhere trying to go much faster
then they should pulling trailers or driving shit-boxes...

post #16 of 20 Old 08-11-2011, 04:13 AM
Tirone

I live in Gilbert Az. The weather is great almost all year except June thru August. Way too hot (Night riding only those months). My insurance is $47.00 per month full coverage. $16.00 a year for Tags and emissions exempt thanks to my beautiful Native American wife that registers all our vehichles on the Navajo Reservation. The drivers out here are terrible for the most part due to Az being a transient state with lots of winter visitors. "Watch out for the blue-Hairs" Overall its pretty good out here. The population cant get much bigger thanks in part to all the federal Indian land.

post #17 of 20 Old 08-12-2011, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Damn you Alberta! Your gas is way cheaper too. But wait until all bikes are electric, then Quebec will be laughing while we charge our bikes cheaply for 8 hours to go for a 30 minute ride!

/No I don't want an electric bike. Dino-juice all the way.

post #18 of 20 Old 08-14-2011, 12:01 AM
Raddock

S.E. LA = South East Lower Alabama:

Fees for a 919:
Insurance: Full coverage: $246 / year
Gas: 3.46 / Gal for 89 Octane

Riding season = all year long except the high Summer months: 105 heath index

Drivers - some of the worst "rural" drivers in the US
Riders - courteous, an ocasional HD redneck that does not acknowledge your presence riding by
Cons - tons of roadkill, ever-present Thunderstorm, bugs after 5PM
Major Pro - riding on Dec 31st with textile gear in 50 F weather, partly cloudy
Roads - fairly decent, no twisties, good country-side riding territory

After careful 1-year evaluation: B+

Cheers!

Doc Hornet
Certified Streetfighter Enthusiast
2004 Honda Hornet Owner
post #19 of 20 Old 08-14-2011, 03:13 AM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Any ratings from the members overseas?

post #20 of 20 Old 08-14-2011, 10:08 AM
Optio

Texas is too big for one rating. Road conditions are good all over. Central TX Hill Country has excellent twisties. High Plains and Coastal Plains -- practically none. North TX (DFW) has a few local-knowledge roads, otherwise it's ride a couple hours for decent twists and turns. Possible to ride year round, but this summer has been just too f-ing hot for me to get out much. Not into suffering for the sake of a ride. Too old for that. My totally subjective grades: North TX (my home) -- B-. Central TX (Austin/San Antonio) -- A-. Flat stuff (almost everywhere else) -- C-.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode