Rally in the Gorge - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 7 Old 08-06-2012, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Rally in the Gorge

My brother and I just got back from Rally in the Gorge 2012 - a 5-day bike rally on the Washington / Oregon border, along the Columbia River.

It started 10 years ago as the SportBike Northwest Rally and has since expanded to become four rallies at one event, including: Dual Sport Northwest, Sport Touring Northwest, and Maxi Scoot Northwest. Sound RIDER! Rally in the Gorge

On Wednesday and Thursday the weather was perfect - 75 and sunny during the day, dropping to low 60s at night. Friday got to about 100 degrees and Saturday got to 104 in some areas. We headed home Saturday afternoon, instead of staying through Sunday.

There was tent and RV camping at the fairgrounds, right along the water. The riding was fantastic! SO MANY amazing twisty mountain roads - we could have stayed a couple weeks and not ridden them all!!!!

Day 1 - we stayed in Washington and rode between Mt. St. Helens and Mt. Adams to the foothills of Mt. Rainier. The route between Carson and Randle is 80 miles, and about 70 of that is nearly constant twisties! We didn't get on the road until noon the first day so we rode up to Randle, had lunch, then rode the same route in the opposite direction.

Day 2 -we went into Oregon and did a corning clinic with former AMA pro Mike Sullivan at Rowena Loops, and then did a ride around Mt. Hood.

Day 3 - we started in Washington and rode along the Klickitat Canyon and followed the Klickitat River, then crossed into Oregon and did a half-day loop through the mountains.

Day 4 - we played tourist and hit the scenic areas - We started out by going to the top of Larch Mountain where you can climb up to a lookout point where you can see Mt. St. Helens, Mt. Rainier, Mt. Adams, Mt. Hood, and Mt. Jefferson in one 180 degree view. We followed the Historic Route 30 past multiple waterfalls, before finishing at the most famous one Multnoma Falls.

I can't wait to go back next year - there's no way to ride all the amazing roads in 1 week.

I left the camera in my wife's car, so all I had was the camera on my phone. Better photos next year!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0351.jpg (330.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0352.jpg (231.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0353.jpg (194.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0354.jpg (206.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0355.jpg (239.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0358.jpg (275.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0361.jpg (169.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0363.jpg (159.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0364.jpg (331.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0366.jpg (225.1 KB, 10 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-06-2012, 04:30 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Sounds like it was a great time, great pics, thanks for sharing!

post #3 of 7 Old 08-06-2012, 06:15 PM
Tirone

That looks great.

post #4 of 7 Old 08-06-2012, 06:53 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Another year gone by and still haven't done the SBNW Rally. I'll be out there next year for sure. I'm very jealous Mike, thanks for sharing!

Was Mary Hills everything it's amped to be?

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #5 of 7 Old 08-06-2012, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewebay1 View Post
Another year gone by and still haven't done the SBNW Rally. I'll be out there next year for sure. I'm very jealous Mike, thanks for sharing!

Was Mary Hills everything it's amped to be?
I've been wanting to do the Rally for 5 years now, but something else always seems to come up that I have to do instead. I finally made it down there.

We didn't do the Mary Hills Loop road. For sure, it looks like a great road, but I think a lot of the hype is that it's usually only open 1 day per year. There were 2 groups going out there on Saturday - the first was guys doing a $95 per person cornering clinic, and the other was the group going out there just to ride it.
We figured, with all the amazing riding close by, we'd rather not ride 70 miles out there and then wait to take turns riding the 3.5 mile road.

post #6 of 7 Old 08-07-2012, 12:48 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Right on, sounds like you can just make it out there on your own without actually being registered. I'll refer to this thread for when I decide to tour the area

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #7 of 7 Old 08-07-2012, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewebay1 View Post
Right on, sounds like you can just make it out there on your own without actually being registered. I'll refer to this thread for when I decide to tour the area
You can't do Mary Hills loop without being registered, but the Rally was still plenty of fun without that road. If you want to tour the area without doing the Rally, it might be a good idea to camp in different locations and keep moving through the state. Stevenson was a nice area to camp, and is conveniently located for a few days of riding, but after that you'll want to keep moving and explore more areas.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode