Predicting the weather - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 7 Old 03-30-2011, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Predicting the weather

Tells me I might get screwed this weekend. Wanted to ride to Michigan for my dads brothers 50th wedding anniversary shindig. Big family jam etc. Looked like Saturday was going to be cold and sunday cold and kinda rainy. Now it's lookin' kinda iffy for the whole weekend GRRRRR!

Any tips on riding in the psuedo snow?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-31-2011, 05:23 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
Any tips on riding in the psuedo snow?
It may be spring, but lovely Rochester, NY is still doing it's Winter-mode. I've been riding quite a bit and most mornings (since "spring" started) it's been right around, or below, freezing. That's scrape-the-frost-off-the-seat-before-you-sit cold.

I bundle up just using a few layers: thermal long sleeve, long sleeve tee, sweat shirt, water/wind-resistant riding jacket. Same for legs: thermals, warm jeans, water/wind-resistant riding pants. Couple pairs of socks, a balaclava, or kerchief+scarf. I wear my snowboard gloves which have a decent water-resistant outer shell. My "summer" gloves fit right inside the shell and zero wind gets through.

Block enough wind, you won't feel cold. Leave enough room in your bag in case you need to shed a layer or two. No matter what the gear says, it's not water-proof, unless it's a scuba dry suit. Water will find a way in. Being cold and wet sucks exponentially more than just being cold.

Keep and eye out for "puddles" which may be ice patches in disguise. It doesn't matter how much your street tires cost, they won't grip for on ice. It can be down right scary just riding straight ahead on ice (without ice screws) let alone what would happen if you dragging a knee when you hit it. I seem to encounter this often in the "valleys" of hilly areas and where there are large piles of snow -- e.g. plowed piles in parking lots. Be careful out there.

post #3 of 7 Old 03-31-2011, 06:19 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

LH, hate to spoil your weekend, but I just wouldn't. If there is the possibility of slush or snow, wouldn't be worth it to me. Aren't you down in the SE? You going to slower Michigan around the south? or Yupper Michigan? Still a pretty long trip either way.

If you just have to ride, keep in mind your tires aren't going to grip nearly as well at 40 as they do at 80. Cold ruins everything. You have to be windproof from top to bottom and that includes a balaclava to keep the wind off your neck. If you have or can get heated gloves, use them. If not, get some of the packet thingies that heat up when you open them. Put them right in your gloves. Your hands will take the brunt of the cold. Sorry, don't have much advice for riding in the cold. I try to avoid it.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."

post #4 of 7 Old 03-31-2011, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Annnnd....we're back to a cold but cloudy saturday. wtf?

I've got an Olympia Phantom one piece in HI-VIS coming from revzilla. I should be test fitting it tomorrow. But it doesn't have an attached hood. I have a backup plan if it doesn't get here.

Balaclava, check
cold gloves, check
alt gloves, check
nitrile gloves, check

the last few flurries we've had here, in Kenosha, haven't gotten the streets wet.
so i'm hoping that's as bad as it gets.

Jscott, You're more north than I am, so I'm guessing you have it a bit worse. And my trip will be all interstate so.....we'll see. insert prayer smiley here.

post #5 of 7 Old 04-05-2011, 06:55 AM
Tirone

If you watch the news on Monday and the weather man tells you the weather for the whole week WTF is he back on Tuesday, wed, ect.. LOL most accurate weather my A$$..
Pay the guy to come in on Monday and show and tell us all 50% chance of rain for the week and call it a day..lol

post #6 of 7 Old 04-05-2011, 06:57 AM
Tirone

todays weather 0% chance of rain and guess what?? Its raining!!!

post #7 of 7 Old 04-05-2011, 07:16 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Well, did you do it? I was down at Ft McCoy this weekend and as predicted, cold and rainy. Saturday was nice but Sunday dumped all over us.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode