• 1 Post By mdtoney
  • 2 Post By Pvster
  • 1 Post By That One Guy
  • 1 Post By Whiplash97

Old 02-28-2016, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
oops hurts

Garage
Question Oregon, twisties? where?

Coming from california and now getting out on the bike that there have been some breaks in weather, Im not seeing much in the way of twisties here in the portland area. I have ridden to the coast etc, but on gmaps all I see are some car clogged state highways like 26 and 6.

I did find 202 to astoria which counts but its not a very long road.

I dont really like straight line highway driving any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2016, 11:09 PM
The Cripple

Ah man you kidding me?

Tons of great Twisties right in your backyard. Take 26 to skyline and hang a right. Take it to Burnside and stay on skyline after skyline and Burnside split. Go all the way down to Rocky Point. You can then either find another side road back or turn right and take it to 30 which will take you straight home. Tons of Twisties here, explore, have fun. Just beware of hidden driveways, gravel, sheriff, etc. Bring GPS so you can find your way back.

Take 205 to Clackamas and take the 212 exit. When you see the junction for 224, take it all the way to Detroit. Then take 22 to sublimity, turn right and take cascade hwy through Silverton. Get on 213 and take it back to 205.

Take 26 west Out to Buxton/ hwy 47 and go north. You can ride it all the way to 30. Heavily patrolled on warm weekends fyi, but have fun. You can also take 47 south to 99w in st. Joseph's/mcminnville. if you take 47 south. Turn right onto scoggins valley rd and ride all the way around henery hagg lake.

From above: take 99 w to Corvallis. You'll see hwy 20, take that west to the coast. Take the 101 south to waldport and then take hwy 34 back to hwy 20.

From above: take 99w to junction city. Turn right onto 36 until it meets the 126, take it back to Eugene.

Take 26 west to bluff rd, turn left, turn right on Hudson rd, turn right on lusted and follow it to ten eyck rd, turn left and take it until it splits and you see bull run rd. Stay left and take bull run north, cross the river and turn right on water works rd/nf-10. Take it to camp Howard rd and turn right. Take it to the top of larch mountain. On The way back down, take larch mountain/loudon rd back.

I have more, but these are what were off the top of my head. They should keep you busy for a while. And I haven't even touched Washington! Have fun!
theboom likes this.

Old 02-29-2016, 08:38 PM
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award 
Total Awards: 1

PV laid it out in detail fer ya boom...this area is loaded with twistys bro!
theboom likes this.

:buell:

Old 03-02-2016, 11:57 AM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Probably not much in the Portland area, but elsewhere in Oregon the riding is AMAZING! I live up in the Seattle area and there are tons of great roads up here in WA, but my brother and I probably spend more time every summer riding OR than WA - especially on the multi-day rides.

I don't have much experience with the southern half of the state, but there are many great roads between I-5 and the coast, and the entire northern half of the state, all the way over to Idaho will keep you entertained for a long time! There are tons of amazing roads through the mountains and canyons - and the pavement is usually in pristine condition! if you open google maps and zoom in to the 5 or 10 mile range, you'll see a lot of amazing roads all across the state.

In your immediate area, and down the coast a bit, look at 47 between Buxton and Clatskanie, or 202 heading out to Astoria, 6 out to Tillamook can be fun if you hit it when it's not tourist season and packed with RVs and trailers. A little further south 229 (Siletz hwy) between Lincoln City and Newport is fun, and 34 between Philomath and Waldport is a lot of fun too.

Take 84 east past Hood River (although 14 on the WA side of the border is a better ride), and at Mosier take 30 to Rowena Crest out to the Dalles. From there you can take 197 south or continue to Biggs Junction and take 97 south into a lot of great riding.

I prefer the central and eastern section even more. 395 between Pendleton and Burns will have you grinning like an idiot, also Check out the roads around Mt. Hood, Fossil, Shaniko, Baker City, John Day. Another great ride out east is 244 between Ukiah and LaGrande, then 82 to Enterprise, and 3 up to the WA border, then 129 into Lewiston ID - pretty amazing rides through the canyons.

Sorry to keep rambling on and on - so many great roads, so little time!
theboom likes this.

Old 03-03-2016, 08:48 AM
The Cripple

Here's a good site: Oregon: Paved Motorcycle Ride Bucket List
mdtoney and theboom like this.

Old 03-06-2016, 02:58 PM
Scoot

Well Boom, it's a little bit of trying to lead the horse to water here. There are some great tips above, but with all due respect there are a few dozen absolutely perfect roads with in 15 miles of where you live saving you having to head to Eugene or Hood river and getting caught in a down poor. It just takes a bit of weaving to make them connect. You have my cell, shoot me a text if you want to go out, just give me a bit of a heads up so I can plan it in.

I sent a couple of suggestions to you in PM. Here are a couple more

Timber Road off of hwy 6 takes you to 47. 47 is is great in both directions, and goes back to 26

Scappose / Vernonia HWY connect with 46. You can take it to 30 and wind your way back to Hillsboro

Dixy MT Road is fun, be warry of gravel though.

Best of luck to you, be safe out there.
theboom likes this.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:03 AM
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
Well Boom, it's a little bit of trying to lead the horse to water here. There are some great tips above, but with all due respect there are a few dozen absolutely perfect roads with in 15 miles of where you live saving you having to head to Eugene or Hood river and getting caught in a down poor. It just takes a bit of weaving to make them connect. You have my cell, shoot me a text if you want to go out, just give me a bit of a heads up so I can plan it in. I sent a couple of suggestions to you in PM. Here are a couple more Timber Road off of hwy 6 takes you to 47. 47 is is great in both directions, and goes back to 26 Scappose / Vernonia HWY connect with 46. You can take it to 30 and wind your way back to Hillsboro Dixy MT Road is fun, be warry of gravel though. Best of luck to you, be safe out there.
I was also thinkin about those, that timber one is pretty tight! Don't forget the Apiary and clatskanie to 202 loop the 11 miles from clats to mist has like 40-50 curves some being 180's
That One Guy likes this.

:buell:
Old 04-11-2016, 12:36 PM
Tirone

Well said, PV. I've ridden most of those and think it's a great list. When heading south, I prefer to stay off of 99W and use Amity-Dallas road and Kings Valley Highway (Hwy 223). There's less traffic and the road has more curves.

I went for a ride yesterday hoping to do the suggested Bull Run / NF-10 ride, but found that area gated off. I turned on Water Works Rd / NF-10 but there's a gate a little ways down the road. I headed north on Bull Run and down Warriner Rd but where the road T's into NF-1010 and Camp Howard Rd, there's another locked gate blocking NF-1010. When I have more time, I'll go back to check out Loudon and Larch Mountain, but thought I'd let others know that the area around the Bull Run Watershed is not accessible.

From the Bucket List link, I'll second McKenzie Highway and Blaine/Nestucca road as great rides, although I haven't ridden Nestucca south to Willamina via Bible Creek Rd. I've taken Meadowlake Rd/Nestucca River Rd from Carlton to Beaver. There's a mile or so of gravel in the middle, but it's not bad. I've heard it's possible to bypass the gravel, but I'm not sure which roads you need to take to do that.

Another suggestion in the vicinity of Portland, is to take Highway 14 east to Carson and head north on Wind River Road. You can either head west along Swift Reservoir to Cougar or continue north to Randle. Along the way is FS-99 that leads to the Windy Ridge Observatory, it's awesome.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:01 PM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW_rider View Post
Another suggestion in the vicinity of Portland, is to take Highway 14 east to Carson and head north on Wind River Road. You can either head west along Swift Reservoir to Cougar or continue north to Randle. Along the way is FS-99 that leads to the Windy Ridge Observatory, it's awesome.
It IS awesome!! Swift Reservoir, past Cougar, is the ride I did last weekend! If you can go through there with minimal traffic, those are amazing motorcycle roads!
The road between Carson and Randle is an 80-mile roller coaster! Lot's of fun, but there's about a 10-mile stretch near the FS-99 turnoff to Windy Ridge where the pavement is HORRIBLE!! I've been riding it for 10 years and every year it gets worse.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
oops hurts

Garage
Now that the weather has cleared Im going to check as many of these out as I can. Great suggestions....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in