New England Loop - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 15 Old 07-17-2013, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 12

New England Loop

Planning a 3 day loop around New England from Aug 29 - Aug 31. The missus will be flying down to Las Vegas for a bachelorette party so she can't be the only one having fun. Plan is to head up early from NYC to Maine on day 1 with some layover time in maybe Providence or Boston. Lobster / humongous seafood dinner is a must. Day 2 I cut across White Mountain NF back to NY state and maybe spend the night in Ticonderoga. Day 3 will be spend cruising down through the lakes of upstate NY and make it back home by Saturday night.

Map: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...21981,5.273438

Thoughts? Suggestions? Anyone want to meet up along the way?

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

49/50 visited on two wheels. 1 more to go!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-17-2013, 03:16 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Sounds like a great trip! I'd think about pushing past Ticonderoga to Lake George for dinner, enjoy the strip and have a few at Duffy's.

post #3 of 15 Old 07-17-2013, 03:22 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 17

day 1 looks boring - I95 sucks. Day 3 looks too long-460 miles.

I'd skip Boston, Portland, head straight up to NH, North Woodstock area, make a loop through White mountain, go get "this bike climbed Mt.Washington" sticker. This will let you push a little further on day 2 and shorten day 3. Now if you'd have 4 days.....

post #4 of 15 Old 07-17-2013, 03:49 PM
Yoshis=me smiling

Your headed north of me but I might be in for the ride down rt 100 in Vermont. Great choice with the white mountains and rt 100 both amazing rides.

02' 919
85' cb450 (wife's)
78' cb550 project
84' z50r son's
09 trx90 daughter's
post #5 of 15 Old 07-17-2013, 08:02 PM
Princeps Prior

I'm down to show you the area. I'll meet just north of boston. Yeah, 95 does suck, but the coastal roads are nice.

NH is great. The kangamangus (i spelled it wrong) is an AWESOME road. NH has the best riding roads hands down.

So ask yourself, coastal maine? Or wooded Nh?

post #6 of 15 Old 08-27-2013, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase

Departing from NYC on Thursday. Let me know if you're free to meet along the way.

http://goo.gl/maps/7f1oV

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

post #7 of 15 Old 08-27-2013, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase

Also question for you guys that live up there. What's the coldest it will get this time of the year? Mount Washington will probably be the coldest and weather.com says it will only go down to a low of the mid 50's. Do you think I'll be OK leaving the heated gear at home or should I bring it just in case? I'm also wearing my Revit mesh jacket and pants with inner liners for this trip and bringing a separate rain suit.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

post #8 of 15 Old 08-28-2013, 02:21 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase

Last Sept. we went to Lake George with some rides further north, didn't need heated gear but you'll probably want your liners for early morning, IIRC, we were starting out in the mid 40's. Whitefce Mountain was in the 30's at the top in the middle of the afternoon.

post #9 of 15 Old 08-28-2013, 02:41 AM
Centurion

Please post pics of this ride, I would love to see them.

post #10 of 15 Old 09-02-2013, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase

Day 1: New York to Portland, ME

The goal for today was be to get from NYC past Boston and explore the coast. I left home at about 10am to avoid the morning rush hour traffic and made my way up I95 towards Boston.

I knew touring on the 919 would be easy compared to last year's journey on the CBR. I have a full locking Givi hard case setup which provided both security and plenty of space to store my clothes, extra riding gear, tools, and whatever else I would need on this trip. I felt able to relax and explore further while off the bike not having to worry about my stuff. I also brought along a tank bag for the camera, GPS, food, and other essentials that I would need to take with me off the bike.

Via I95, I quickly made my way north of Boston and arrived at my first planned stop at the highly recommended Clam Box of Ipswich. I didn't realize portions were huge and I ended up ordering a mountain of fried clams, scallops, shrimp, and chowder.

From there, I made my way up the coast on Rt 1A and passed through many vibrant coastal towns along the way.

Outside of the towns were many beautiful mansions build right along the rocky shores.

I was also surprised to see surfers taking advantage of the waves on spots along the beaches.

Eventually I arrived at Portland, ME and checked into a hotel for the night.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

post #11 of 15 Old 09-02-2013, 11:52 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Man, great pics and that seafood looked awesome. I lived in CT for a few years but didn't own a bike. Some very scenic country up there. Enjoy and ride safe!

post #12 of 15 Old 09-02-2013, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase

Day 2: Portland, ME to Ticonderoga, NY

Today I would cross over from the coast of Maine through the woods of NH, VT, and back into NY. I started the day off taking Rt 302 up from the coast across Maine to New Hampshire's White Mountain National Forest.

Arriving in NH, I made my way up north towards Mount Washington and started the climb up the mountain into the clouds.

Climbing higher and higher, temps steadily got colder and conditions wetter as I was now riding through the clouds. Visibility was limited to about 20 feet and I had to take it slow, but I eventually reached the summit.

I made my way back down the mountain and headed for the famous Kancamagus Highway to cut across VT. It was a nice scenic route following the Swift River.

The Kancamagus eventually rejoined with Rt 302 which I took across into VT to Montpelier, VT. From there, I traveled south on Rt 100, crossed the forest on Rt 73 back to the Hudson River, and hopped on a ferry to Ticonderoga, NY.

Ticonderoga, NY turned out to be a dump. You know you've arrived at a crappy place when the downtown strip is dead quiet at 7PM on a Friday night. I checked in at a hotel at the edge of town and took it easy for the night at the hotel bar chatting with another couple who were touring on a goldwing from PA.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

post #13 of 15 Old 09-02-2013, 03:30 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase

I was on that ferry lat year... Next time ride to Lake George for the night, there's a little more happening... Did you visit the fort?

post #14 of 15 Old 09-02-2013, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase

Day 3: Ticonderoga, NY to NYC

It was a wet day in upstate NY with spotted thunderstorms and showers hammering the Adirondacks all day. It was a good chance for me to test out my new 2pc Frogg Toggs rain gear hich kept my body completely dry through the driving rain and flowed a surprising amount of air to keep me cool when temps reached the low 80's. Not cheap, but well worth it compared to my less expensive PVC 1 piece rain suit which was super hot and leaked at the crotch.

Riding north of Ticonderoga, I crossed into the Adirondacks on Rt 73 heading towards Lake Placid.

I spent the rest of the day riding along the lakes and through vibrant mountain towns.

Lake Placid and one of the old Olympic centers

Saranac Lake

Tupper Lake

Lewey Lake

Lake Pleasant

Lake Algonquin

There are only a fraction of the many lakes and waterways I passed riding along Rt 30 through the mountains. I arrived in Amsterdam, NY and cut east on Rt 67 towards Hoosick Falls to get dinner and a picture tag for a NY state game on another forum.

By now the time was 5pm and the rain was coming down heavier. With no indication that things would slow down and not wanting to ride in the heavy rain in the dark, I headed straight for home along the Taconic and made it back by 8:30pm.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

post #15 of 15 Old 09-03-2013, 06:04 AM
Princeps Prior

damn dude. I wish I could have went. All my favorite stops in the area including new Hampshire. I'll just have to hit up those places soon!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode