NC roads other than the Dragon? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 10 Old 05-14-2011, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
jrj
Optio

NC roads other than the Dragon?

Anybody have any suggestions for backroads with in 75 miles or so of Fayetteville/Ft. Bragg? Someplace to go for a day without too much traffic?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-14-2011, 05:53 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

charohala skyway or the moonshiner get a ton less traffic than the tail. 28 (the moonshiner) is my favorite road of the 3. There is a loop between the tail of the dragon and the charahala skyway that I wish I could describe. I believe 360 is involved, but don't quote me on that I was lucky enough to have people to follow (and were nice enough to wait at a turn if I fell behind)

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided
post #3 of 10 Old 05-14-2011, 06:48 PM
Omnivore

Nothing like the Dragon within 75 miles of Fayetteville, but if you take 87 north/west towards Sanford, there are lots of nice roads in that area. Between Fayetteville, Fuquay-Varina, Durham, Pittsboro, Jordan Lake, and Seiler City there are lots of good back roads with not too much traffic. Take a look at google maps, and plan out a ride. That area is where I do most of my riding. I am coming south from Durham, and I usually do anywhere from 75-100 mile loops.

Check out this thread for one of the loops:

https://www.wristtwisters.com/f19/fir...son-26815.html

post #4 of 10 Old 05-15-2011, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
jrj
Optio

Thanks, Acall, I'll have to try that out next weekend. It's not too far and I work in Sanford so I think it'll do. Beefsalad, I appreciate the suggestions, but that's just too far off. If I was going that far, I'd make a weekend of it and hit the Dragon anyway. Lol.

post #5 of 10 Old 05-15-2011, 11:31 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

the tail is much more fun during the week anyway...a lot less traffic to worry about.

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided
post #6 of 10 Old 05-15-2011, 05:08 PM
Omnivore

If the weather is nice and you head up that way, drop me a PM... I am out of town until late friday, but with no rides this weekend thanks to the weather and work travel, I'd be up for a meetup.
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrj View Post
Thanks, Acall, I'll have to try that out next weekend. It's not too far and I work in Sanford so I think it'll do. Beefsalad, I appreciate the suggestions, but that's just too far off. If I was going that far, I'd make a weekend of it and hit the Dragon anyway. Lol.

post #7 of 10 Old 05-15-2011, 05:35 PM
Immune

If you ever make it out west of Hickory shoot me a pm and let me know where you're going and I'll send you a list of the roads I like.

Mainly I ride west of Hickory and east of Cherokee from the top to the bottom of the state. My two favorite roads that are within 30 minutes of me are 226A up to Little Switzerland and Hwy. 80 from Marion up to Bakersville. Little traffic and basically no police presence.

post #8 of 10 Old 05-15-2011, 06:12 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Hooligan did we talk before? I am from Waynesville but currently live in Colorado. I know those roads and they are fun. Would love to be out there right now.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-15-2011, 06:49 PM
Immune

Maybe, I don't remember for sure. If you mean in person then no, I've never met anyone around here that has a 919. I've seen a few but never had a chance to talk to anyone. I did the 226a/80 loop twice today, once clockwise and once counterclockwise. I had a ball, nobody was out today at all. No bikes, cars or cyclists, it was dead. If you make it back out this way let me know and we'll hook up and go for ride.

post #10 of 10 Old 09-05-2011, 02:11 PM
Tirone

Garage
Backroad ride

jrj,

Here's a decent ride near the Fayetteville area.

Fayetteville, NC to Fayetteville, NC - Google Maps

Nothing spectacular, but the pavement is typical NC roads. Which translates to smooth with very few potholes (one of the perks of living in NC). There are lots of other offshoots to take from this loop if you like to explore. But if you are looking for something to wear out the sides of your tires on, you need to follow the advise of Horace Greeley - "Go west, young man".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode