my short 1,500 mile ride! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 17 Old 07-29-2009, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
919>food>beer

my short 1,500 mile ride!

Well I had 4 days off of work after working two weeks straight... had a bit of cash in the ol' bank account and decided what the hell I'm taking off. Friday I go to ride now and get a rear Pilot power put on (150 bucks for the tire! great deal) the front was fine except for a little cupping that is seaming to be normal with the tires. went to target and bought a gps and camera, drank a few cold beers and was out by 10 pm

Saturday I wake up at 3 am or so, watch a movie, then get up at 5:30 and say what the hell I'm going! pack the saddle bags lightly, grab some tools and the rain suit and put it in the tank bag. I'm off to the grand canyon...l

my first stop for gas at home... I make about 30 billion more... check tire pressure, rear was low from the shop, fix that and head off.

Local secenery about an hour or so from home

Really?????

nice little lake

about 150-200 miles I pull over here, while off the bike I check out the chain... holy ###t! there is zero play in it and the seals are starting to bleed the grease! Shop way over tightened and stupid me didn't check it! I loosen it up, a couple folks on goldwings w/ trailers stop and check up on me, thankfully I grabbed my axel wrenches, I almost left em! So I loosener up and lube the crap out of it and drive on...

before lunch I came up to this really nice random lake, and a massive storm as well... pull over to gear up...

and then!!!! CRACK lightning strikes 200 ft away, holy crap I'm still alive!!!! I see smoke start billowing up but couldn't get into a good position to get a pic, it was right on the edge of the lake here where its kinda grey(smoke)

few canyon shots...

so as I pull up to the canyon I see the fjr sitting empty with the saddle bag cut out and plexiglass mounted on it, I'm like WTH??? as I'm leaving the spot the rider is gearing up and has a dog (duke) on a leash. he set duke in there and ties down his leash, and then puts yellow eye googles on him! all he needed was a little helmet haha

Few more canyon pics

mr squirel

I just liked this tree

bike just got a wash out front of my motel

the baron waste land that is nothern AZ. some of the hardest and most fatiguing riding I've ever done! there were cross winds probably consistantly in the 20-30mph range... I was almost dragging a knee to go straight (little exageration... but I was a shoulder off the bike seriously!

I just love this shot

I continued up through utah and looped bak around to head to vegas, sadly I didn't stop to take any pics in utah, but there was some of the best riding I'd done there on Rt. 14 I believe it is, just an awsome mountian back road. Beautiful mountains and lakes.

another great part that I rode through and didn't take pictures was just into nevada from AZ, the canyons coming into there were great! but soo hot!!!! jeesh my knees were litterally burning through the leather alpinestar racing pants and jeans beneath! I got off the bike and they were just flaming hot! cooled off and took a few tylenole and headed on!

rode down into vegas, nothing really exciting there... it was alright, but seriously I don't get the hype... I had a good time, the bars were cool and the hotel for 24 bucks was great, but I don't get the gambling thing... just not for me.

next nice stop was lake mead, oh man was that lake the nicest blue!

After lake mead was naturally the hoover damn

and the concludes my pictures, but thankfully I met up with a rider on a buells lighting xb12 and was cruising with him... very thankfully! As we were in the middle of the desert and then my bike sputters out! he sees me dip over and knows that nothing good would make me stop where I did and came back down the free way, the best part is he had a spare gas can with about a gallon and a half in it on his back rack! Woo Hooo. Was talking with him, he was doing a coast to coast to coast in 14 days! he came from Maryland to LA and was headed back to MD!!!

after that is has just the same old hard riding in the desert tring to keep the bike straight with the coss winds, stopping ever 1/2 hour or so to hydrate (i really need a camel pack!

all in all it was a 3 day trip, over 1,500 miles, and some great times, gps tells me my top speed was 118mph, oops heh, had to opener up a lil bit out in the desert once or twice.

Now I really caught the touring bug, my next vacation will be cross country for sure! I met so many great bikes on my trip its insane!

Ps. I have a lot more pics on the face book http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=30262&id=1346516747 add me as a friend if yall haven't already... jeff Satterfield

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-29-2009, 11:04 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

looks like it was a great ride.
Glad you enjoyed yourself, and took so many photos, I always skip on picture taking.

Duke was a funny add-on the the FJR.

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #3 of 17 Old 07-29-2009, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
919>food>beer

yeah, there really was soo much more I wish I coulda stopped to photograph, but I wouldn't get any where! I love this land soo much, its georgous in its own way anywhere you go, I was really suprised at utah, I definatly wasn't expecting it to be what it was!

post #4 of 17 Old 07-30-2009, 01:07 AM
Duckin' for cover..

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Awesome trip. Thank God for the other guy with the gas can. Looks like a heck of a lot of fun.

post #5 of 17 Old 07-30-2009, 02:45 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Nice writeup and pics. Thanks for sharing.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #6 of 17 Old 07-30-2009, 04:56 AM
What's a 919?

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Great pics and write up. That dog on the FJR was hilarious! haha.
And the 6 1/2 mph sign reminds me of a subdivision I've been through in Indy with 16 mph signs. Odd.

One thing, what is on your headers? It looks kinda like tiger stripes. Got any close up pics?

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
post #7 of 17 Old 07-30-2009, 05:05 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 6

excellent!!

post #8 of 17 Old 07-30-2009, 05:17 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboStraub 919 View Post
One thing, what is on your headers? It looks kinda like tiger stripes. Got any close up pics?
Looks like Heat Tape. -
I am envious of the ride. Beautiful.

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #9 of 17 Old 07-30-2009, 06:21 AM
So, Satan's our mascot?

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Jeff's downplaying his accomplishment here - it has been NASTY hot and a good portion of his riding has been in the thick of it. Awesome write-up! Don't suppose you have a google map available with your route; I'm curious about which lakes you were cruising by. Next time stop by Gilbert for some free water!

post #10 of 17 Old 07-30-2009, 06:28 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

jeff... that looks like a great time.... glad ya had fun and made it home safely.....

post #11 of 17 Old 07-30-2009, 06:44 AM

Thanks for sharing. Enjoyed it.

post #12 of 17 Old 07-30-2009, 07:46 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Congrats on the great ride! Very glad the lightning missed you!
Those are many awesome sights. Thanks for sharing.
That FJR dogman is a bustup! Hopefully he never lowsides on a right turn.

post #13 of 17 Old 07-30-2009, 07:49 AM
MAM Customs

Awesome spur of the moment trip. Your writeup and pics make me want to do the same.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. -Frank Sinatra
post #14 of 17 Old 07-30-2009, 07:54 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Very nice ... I want to see the Grand Canyon in person. Up close. Flew over it almost every week for a year.

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!
post #15 of 17 Old 07-30-2009, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
919>food>beer

the header is wrapped thats what gives it the color,it was black but it is fading out to white with the heat...

and here is the google maps trip, took me about half an hour to put it together.
Grand canyon/vegas trip - Google Maps

I don't have any really good pics of the wrap, but here are a few better ones

met a couple guys at this motel from quibec, they trucked thier bikes down to montana, road down the coast and were headed out to utah , then towards chicago, and back to montana

post #16 of 17 Old 07-30-2009, 10:57 AM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Awesome!!

Thanks for sharing. For the last 5 minutes I wasn't at work... if you know what I mean.

post #17 of 17 Old 07-30-2009, 12:04 PM
So, Satan's our mascot?

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef View Post
the header is wrapped thats what gives it the color,it was black but it is fading out to white with the heat...

and here is the google maps trip, took me about half an hour to put it together.

Nice route! Definitely hit some of the prettier areas and a few place I'd like to see myself!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode