Memorial Weekend ride - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 4 Old 05-21-2015, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Memorial Weekend ride

I had the idea to do a ride over the long weekend for a bit now, but never really sat down to think about it.
A couple days ago a moving post on FB gave me the idea to a do a "memorial" ride. I've never been to arlington cemetary or the d-day memorial, maybe swing by some in DC... well, not being a fan of VA's Traffic Nazi's, and there not really seeming to be that many "major" memorials in more fun riding areas, I kinda bagged that idea.

I think this link will show you my current plan; the north WV, and PA parts are still up in the air, just threw a route in the general direction i'd like to see how the timing works out.
https://trips.furkot.com/ts/cz4u2n

Here's my basic plan:
  • Head south to D-day memorial via some highway broken up by some twisty roads and a bit of WV.
  • BRP up to Charlottesville- detour on 56 (56/60 look too good to completely pass up and I think i might be sick of the BRP/traffic/RVs by then if not sooner; in which case take 60)
  • Concert Sat 7pm in charlottesville
  • visit my cousin in grottoes or somewhere
  • WV, check out the green bank telescope (probably not stay for a tour)
  • Work my way to Pine Grove PA to vist gramps on Memorial day, and since i'm missing his bday.
  • Back to frederick.

check out what i got so far and let me know if you think of any do's or dont's . Also, if anyone wants to tag along for some they'd be welcome.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-22-2015, 03:52 AM
Discen

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Looks like a great trip. I have two brothers in the Pine Grove/Schuylkill Haven area. If you go west out of Pine Grove on Ry 443 about 10 mi you pick up Gold Mine Rd. From there, for many years as a kid from Lebanon, we'd travel over the mountains to Tower City to visit my grandparents. It's a neat ride and there's a place off of Gold Mine we always called The High Rocks, or maybe these days, Boxcar Rocks that are great for a little stretch your legs break.
I'd join you if I could but no dice this time around.

post #3 of 4 Old 05-22-2015, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Hey Dean,
yup i remember we figured out that our relatives probably live within miles of each other!
I love 443, if i'm not constrained by time i usually take that when traveling between my parents in lebanon pa and me in Frederick. My family hunts in the area off gold mine road.
I had been thinking of doing gold mine road then rt 25 west,crossing into duncannon then 850 and 74, but my route is going to take too long in WV and back to pine grove so i'm most likely just gonna have dinner with my family in pine grove then do 81/15 to frederick. If there's time i might do 443.

wish me luck! this is most likely not going to go nearly as well as i've planned haha.
If anyone's around luray, charlottesvile, and cumberland with a couch i could crash on let me know!

post #4 of 4 Old 05-23-2015, 03:09 AM
Discen

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

OK Bro,

Like I said, love to join you but maybe next time. My Dad used to tell me that he used to drive Gold Mine when it was still a dirt road. Love the view down into the (Clarks?) valley just after you round the turn coming down off the mountain. In the 100 times we did that back in the late 50's and 60's, he'd always say, "God's Little Acre". Those were the days my friend...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode