MD area riders - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 15 Old 07-10-2011, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Discen

MD area riders

I am moving to Poolesville (Montgomery County, MD) over the next few weeks and since there were so many members here from MD, y'all might know some good roads around that I could try once I get settled in.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-10-2011, 09:42 AM
NWTB Non Stinky 919

If you head down to my area Anne Arundel County, near Ft Meade. I can show you lots of good roads.

Montgomery County, has a lot of people, lots of built up areas and the backroads up there seem to be more congested as with rather straight. Not an area I could see myself riding around.

Speaking of, we're heading off to NVA, that takes us straight through that area.
post #3 of 15 Old 07-10-2011, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffie7 View Post
If you head down to my area Anne Arundel County, near Ft Meade. I can show you lots of good roads.

Montgomery County, has a lot of people, lots of built up areas and the backroads up there seem to be more congested as with rather straight. Not an area I could see myself riding around.

Speaking of, we're heading off to NVA, that takes us straight through that area.
You're right about Montgomery County. My parents live in Bethesda, and while I like the city, Poolesville (it even sounds country) is a nice country respite in Mont. county. I am just glad to be moving. I have been working in MD for almost three years while I was living in NC, traveling every week and coming home on the weekends. I am glad that I will have my family around me now, plus I should have more time to ride!

post #4 of 15 Old 07-10-2011, 02:57 PM
Tirone

Welcome to MoCo! I live about 12 miles north of DC and always head north and/or west, including Poolesville, on my rides. There are some nice roads in western MoCo and further west towards Harper's Ferry. From there you can turn south and head back through VA (the northern end of the Shenandoah Valley) and cross the Potomac back to MD or turn north and go through PA and northern MoCo.

One specific ride could be a lap around Sugarloaf Mountain: from Poolesville take 109 north, 355 north, 80 west, 85 south (let 'er rip), 28 east back to 109.

Enjoy!

post #5 of 15 Old 07-10-2011, 04:13 PM
Philanthropist

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

I'm north of Baltimore in Harford county- We have some great roads as you drift back and fourth between MD and PA along the Mason Dixon line and then head north into PA.

Maybe a summer get together in MD is in order somewhere to welcome you to the state.

post #6 of 15 Old 07-10-2011, 04:23 PM
NWTB Non Stinky 919

I made a point to move to a place that has all back roads to/from the places I need to get to =) Sad but true.

I hate having to ride 15-20 miles before hitting worth while roads.

You're moving to a great area, just a tad bit out of my riding range. Too many long straight roads to/from it.
post #7 of 15 Old 07-10-2011, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffie7 View Post
I made a point to move to a place that has all back roads to/from the places I need to get to =) Sad but true.

I hate having to ride 15-20 miles before hitting worth while roads.

You're moving to a great area, just a tad bit out of my riding range. Too many long straight roads to/from it.
I looked very closely at AA county and was real close to living in Edgewater or Shady Side, I can get to more of the places I need to go better (as in away from 495) from Poolesville, plus we found a great house that my wife loves. She is the Boss you know

I am definitely all for a MD meetup with good people (which all 919ers are, right?) later this summer. Hopefully, I am still riding out to MotoGP in August, but that may get put on hold. It is gonna cost me like three times what I was paying to live in MD versus NC

post #8 of 15 Old 07-10-2011, 08:16 PM
NWTB Non Stinky 919

I live in Piney Orchard IMO its the best place in all of Maryland if you dont need a big yard.

In the middle of Baltimore, Annapolis and DC.

Welcome to Piney Orchard
post #9 of 15 Old 07-11-2011, 06:31 AM
No association w/ Tirone.

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

There are tons of mountain roads out in Western MD/PA, plus you have at least 3 919's on this forum that live in Cumberland. We just went on a 4 hour ride, all the roads were 25-35 mph twisties with clean wide roads and little to no traffic. What traffic there was, went 60+mph so it was a fun ride.

post #10 of 15 Old 07-11-2011, 08:06 AM
Party Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by redletter View Post
There are tons of mountain roads out in Western MD/PA, plus you have at least 3 919's on this forum that live in Cumberland. We just went on a 4 hour ride, all the roads were 25-35 mph twisties with clean wide roads and little to no traffic. What traffic there was, went 60+mph so it was a fun ride.
yeah im kinda mad i missed out on this ride. damn band keeping me from doing other fun stuff. lol

post #11 of 15 Old 08-10-2011, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Discen

This is the Route I did today.

I was okay, nothing spectacular. The catoctin park was nice.

I'd love to ride with someone who knows where they are going sometime, so post up if you want company.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MD First Ride.jpg (57.4 KB, 6 views)

post #12 of 15 Old 08-10-2011, 06:50 PM
Philanthropist

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I would love to do a get together sometime for a meet and ride, I have more motorcycles than spare time though.

post #13 of 15 Old 08-10-2011, 06:53 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine1nine View Post
I would love to do a get together sometime for a meet and ride, I have more motorcycles than spare time though.
Same here. Going to the Outer Banks this weekend and next, but after that I'm game. Don't know much about the roads in Western MD, but I can help you get lost.

post #14 of 15 Old 08-10-2011, 06:56 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Lucky. I love the OB.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #15 of 15 Old 08-10-2011, 07:59 PM
NWTB Non Stinky 919

I just got back from the outer banks two days ago.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode