Labor Day Weekend Road Trip - Indy to the Michigan North Shore - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 42 Old 09-01-2009, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Labor Day Weekend Road Trip - Indy to the Michigan North Shore

We're taking off on the FJR early tomorrow morning for my brother's lake house on Walloon Lake in northern Michigan. About 475 miles up there, we're taking the longer scenic route along Lake Michigan instead of the more direct but boring interstate route.

We're pumped, totally fired up from MotoGP weekend! We saw thousands and thousands of bikes from all over North America, now it's our turn to hit the road and get out of town for a long Labor Day weekend. We took a couple of trips on my '07 FJR, this will be our first big 2 up trip on the '04, will be over 1000 miles by the time we get back home on Sunday night.

I've got the bike set up to fit me well, installed Helibar bar risers, Throttlemeister throttle lock, Grip Puppy padded grips, have the suspension dialed in to a nice combo of firm handling but compliant ride, I think it will be a comfortable trip for both of us. It has a fresh oil change, tires are good, it's all cleaned up and shiny, ready to roll. This bike doesn't have a top box but I plan to use my Cortech Sport tail bag, along with my Cortech tank bag. The side boxes have removeable dufflebag liners which makes packing easy, should have plenty of luggage space for a 5 day trip.

Here's our route: Indy To Walloon - Google Maps

Having a hard time focusing at the office today, can't wait!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 09-01-2009, 10:29 AM
Das Kalmar

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

If you can stop by Redamak's and get a burger. They are amazing. Their website has hilarious music too.
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...5&z=14&iwloc=A

BOOM CHICKA
post #3 of 42 Old 09-01-2009, 11:13 AM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Have fun and be safe! Looks like a great route along the lake.

post #4 of 42 Old 09-01-2009, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

Printed out 17 pages of google map detail, trimmed them down to fit in my tank bag map pocket. This day is moving painfully slow!

post #5 of 42 Old 09-01-2009, 12:35 PM
Imaginifer

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I am glad that you decided to ride. Gin said Friday night that she didn't know if she could convince you or not. After not riding to your bar you needed to step up and ride on this trip.

post #6 of 42 Old 09-01-2009, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier919 View Post
I am glad that you decided to ride. Gin said Friday night that she didn't know if she could convince you or not. After not riding to your bar you needed to step up and ride on this trip.
I was concerned that she might not be up to it after having surgery a couple of weeks ago, but she rode and walked for many miles this weekend during MotoGP and did great, just got cleared by her Dr. today for all activities.

And you're right, I wimped out on Friday night, plus how could we not ride after seeing bikes roll into Indy from all over Canada, Mexico, and every corner of the USA? Jeez, if we can't ride 500 miles to northern Michigan we don't deserve to call ourselves motorcyclists!

post #7 of 42 Old 09-01-2009, 12:51 PM
So, Satan's our mascot?

Awards Showcase
Donation 

How's Gin's visibility riding co-pilot? Is she basically staring at the back of your head or is it stadium enough to proffer a view?

post #8 of 42 Old 09-01-2009, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuedeGopher View Post
How's Gin's visibility riding co-pilot? Is she basically staring at the back of your head or is it stadium enough to proffer a view?
She can look over my shoulder a bit and to either side, has never complained. She was the driving force behind this trip, of course I'm the one that has to be alert for 10 hours!

post #9 of 42 Old 09-01-2009, 01:15 PM
Das Kalmar

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
She can look over my shoulder a bit and to either side, has never complained. She was the driving force behind this trip, of course I'm the one that has to be alert for 10 hours!
Should have stocked up on all that free Red Bull this weekend.

BOOM CHICKA
post #10 of 42 Old 09-01-2009, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by gert260 View Post
Should have stocked up on all that free Red Bull this weekend.
I've been caffiene free since 1995, that stuff would kill me!

Perfect weather forecast for our trip, mid 70's and sunny through the weekend.

Done at the office, homeward bound to get the bike packed and ready!

post #11 of 42 Old 09-01-2009, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Here's where we're going...

post #12 of 42 Old 09-01-2009, 05:25 PM
Das Kalmar

Awards Showcase

Now that is one nice piece of real estate. Looks like having a great time should come pretty easy. Hope you guys get great weather and better drinks.

BOOM CHICKA
post #13 of 42 Old 09-01-2009, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Yeah, life is good on Walloon!

post #14 of 42 Old 09-01-2009, 05:39 PM
"VonZipper"

Awards Showcase

Scott We have a place on Lake Charlevoix and have been going there since 1975! If you want to do a great ride google Cross Village and the tree tunnel or "tunnel of trees" it's not far from Waloon lake and really worth the trip. Stop at Legs Inn for lunch it will blow your mind. Take warm clothes and rain gear. You can also find Legs Inn in a word search. Jim

If you have a Ten Dollar Head, get a $10.00 Helmet.
post #15 of 42 Old 09-01-2009, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBLee View Post
Scott We have a place on Lake Charlevoix and have been going there since 1975! If you want to do a great ride google Cross Village and the tree tunnel or "tunnel of trees" it's not far from Waloon lake and really worth the trip. Stop at Legs Inn for lunch it will blow your mind. Take warm clothes and rain gear. You can also find Legs Inn in a word search. Jim
Small world isn't it Jim? We'll check out your suggestions, sounds like fun!

post #16 of 42 Old 09-01-2009, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

All packed and ready to roll, aiming to leave at 7am, we'll see if that still sounds good in the morning.

post #17 of 42 Old 09-02-2009, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Yeah, 7am was cold and dark. 8am is the new departure time, I never was a morning person.

post #18 of 42 Old 09-02-2009, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

8:10, on the road. Walloon or Bust!

post #19 of 42 Old 09-02-2009, 05:25 AM
What's a 919?

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Veteran 

Have fun, be safe, and take some great pics for us all to envy! Maybe the leaves will be starting to change that far north already. I bet that would be beautiful!

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
post #20 of 42 Old 09-02-2009, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Great ride up today, couldn't have asked for better weather! Bright blue sky, mild temps in the mid 70's, very comfortable. 475 miles, stopped 4 times and ran into quite a bit of road construction, took about 10 hours. Bike performed great, averaged 42mpg with cruising speeds between 60-85mph.

Made it here in time for a wonderful fresh caught wild Alaskan salmon dinner with fresh Michigan sweet corn, life is good!

post #21 of 42 Old 09-03-2009, 06:27 AM
So, Satan's our mascot?

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Nice, you walkin cowboy style now? 103 today with chance of rain...means muggy and general craptitude - jealous of your weather.

post #22 of 42 Old 09-07-2009, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Home, 1035 miles. Ass hurts. Cold beer good. Pics later.

post #23 of 42 Old 09-07-2009, 02:09 PM
Vintage Honda

Awards Showcase

Welcome Home.

Had the family weekend with The Auburn Cord Dusenber Festival acivities.... Only real ride was to breakfast, on the vintage bikes, about a 70 mile round trip.

OH yeah... we did pull Dave's KZ650 out of the shop. He finally got the carbs. Ran out of gas and he rode "queen" on my 919 about a mile to his house... TOO FUNNY! Sorry no pic

post #24 of 42 Old 09-07-2009, 02:55 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
Home, 1035 miles. Ass hurts. Cold beer good. Pics later.

post #25 of 42 Old 09-07-2009, 03:16 PM
Imaginifer

Just opened this tread up...Baaahhhh! You went right past my house in Traverse City! I hadn't read it earlier because the title just read Labor Day Weekend Ride Indy. Sorry I missed you! It was picture perfect weather here all weekend. Hope you had a good time!

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
---Thomas Jefferson 1776.
post #26 of 42 Old 09-07-2009, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. J View Post
Welcome Home.

Had the family weekend with The Auburn Cord Dusenber Festival acivities.... Only real ride was to breakfast, on the vintage bikes, about a 70 mile round trip.

OH yeah... we did pull Dave's KZ650 out of the shop. He finally got the carbs. Ran out of gas and he rode "queen" on my 919 about a mile to his house... TOO FUNNY! Sorry no pic
Sorry I missed Dave on the back of your 9'er, knowing that he's a full size man I'm sure that was quite the sight!

post #27 of 42 Old 09-07-2009, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc919er View Post
Just opened this tread up...Baaahhhh! You went right past my house in Traverse City! I hadn't read it earlier because the title just read Labor Day Weekend Ride Indy. Sorry I missed you! It was picture perfect weather here all weekend. Hope you had a good time!
Well you probably recognize this spot then...

Grand Traverse Bay, Traverse City, MI

post #28 of 42 Old 09-07-2009, 04:59 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Glad you guys made it home safe!

post #29 of 42 Old 09-07-2009, 05:15 PM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Sounds like you had an excellent ride Scott, cant wait for the rest of the pics!

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #30 of 42 Old 09-07-2009, 05:42 PM
Imaginifer

Quote:
Well you probably recognize this spot then...

Grand Traverse Bay, Traverse City, MI
Oh yes, that 's right down town...about 4 miles from me. I live straight west of there. Hope you enjoyed our neck of the woods!

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
---Thomas Jefferson 1776.
post #31 of 42 Old 09-07-2009, 05:48 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

I like Michigan football. and beer. and motorcycles. and lakes. When your brother gets season tickets give me a call. Always wanted to see a game there.

Glad you had a good trip.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #32 of 42 Old 09-08-2009, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Caught up at the office after a few days off, will take the time to post some pics...

Like many motorcycle trips, we didn't take the time to stop very often for photos. Most of our rest breaks were at gas stations, not exactly photogenic spots for the most part.

Here we are Wednesday morning, all fresh and rested, ready to start our adventure

Stopped for lunch in Holland, MI, ate appropriately enough at the Wooden Shoe

Gin caught me tresspassing as I set up for the shot I posted above in Traverse City

Cleaning the bugs off the bike at my brother's lake house

My brother setting up the bocce court, many beers happily consumed while tossing bocce balls!

Gin enjoyed kayaking on beautiful Walloon Lake...

While I played with my brother's dog Wally, a year old Lab who loves to jump into the lake and retrieve tennis balls

I did a lot of this too

We took Jim's suggestion and headed up M119 through Harbor City to Cross Village. Known as the "Tunnel of Trees", it was an impossibly scenic route along the lake shore. Didn't lend itself to photo ops unfortunately as it was a winding one lane blacktop with sand shoulders and no center line, not the kind of place to pull off and take a pic. Beautiful ride though, high dollar homes hiding in the trees overlooking the lake, truly God's Country.

We stopped in Cross Village at the Legs Inn for lunch, a charming old Polish restaurant situated on a bluff overlooking Lake Michigan

It was an interesting mix of old world European mixed with local flavor

Patio where we dined had a breathtaking view, pics don't do it justice

Beautiful gardens as well

This one's for my Mom, she loves flowers!

After a tasty lunch of pierogi, golabki (cabbage rolls) and kielbasa soup we headed on up the coast to Mackinaw City.

Crossing the Mackinac Bridge was an experience, especially since it was a bit windy! Gin clicked a few shots over my shoulder as we crossed the bridge

We pulled into a park on the U.P. side of the bridge and met Greg, a fellow FJR rider. He had an '09 FJR1300AE and was on a day trip from Traverse City, enjoyed our conversation with him.

The bridge from the U.P. side looking towards the mainland

The next day we went to Harbor Springs for an afternoon of shopping and lunch by the harbor. Beautiful town!

The view across Little Traverse Bay from Harbor Springs

Only took one shot on the way home, scenic overlook at a rest stop. I swear everything is scenic up there!

Took us 8.5 hours coming home, skipped the lake shore route and powered down through the middle of the state. 435 miles vs 475 going up, were able to run 80-85mph safely in sync with traffic much of the way home. Bike averaged between 42 and 46mpg, pretty good for two up fully loaded I thought. No mechanical issues at all, I was impressed with its performance.

I'm considering a different windscreen, have read great things about California Scientific's screens. The stock screen is all right, but it buffets quite a bit at its top adjustment and is too windy to keep it down at speed. May also send the seat off to Spencer's Seat Mods for some gel foam, it's far more comfortable than the 919 but does get a bit tiring after a few hundred miles. The Thottlemeister really helped my right hand and wrist from getting cramped, nice to be able to lock it on for a few miles of straight road and move my hand around. The Helibar risers made a huge difference in my comfort level, didn't have a sore back or shoulders at all.

Good times, a fantastic mini vacation that we look forward to doing again next year!

post #33 of 42 Old 09-08-2009, 11:59 AM
What's a 919?

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Veteran 

Great pics Scott! Very beautiful country up there! I always love driving along side a body of water, something about it, I dunno. Also, was that a sling-shot dog ball thrower? haha, awesome!

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
post #34 of 42 Old 09-08-2009, 12:12 PM
"VonZipper"

Awards Showcase

YEEE HAAAA you made it to Legs Inn! It looks the same as 24 years ago when I was there! Thanks for posting pictures. Jim

If you have a Ten Dollar Head, get a $10.00 Helmet.
post #35 of 42 Old 09-08-2009, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboStraub 919 View Post
Great pics Scott! Very beautiful country up there! I always love driving along side a body of water, something about it, I dunno. Also, was that a sling-shot dog ball thrower? haha, awesome!
Incredibly beautiful country, I love the harbor towns of northern Michigan. I'll take Lake Michigan over the ocean anyday, like the tshirt said, "No Salt, No Sharks, No Worries!"

The wrist rocket tennis ball launcher was great fun, Wally would leap through the water for the first 10 yards of so and then break into an impressive dog paddle when he hit deeper water. Interesting fact that I didn't know, Labradors have webbing between their toes that helps them swim!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBLee View Post
YEEE HAAAA you made it to Legs Inn! It looks the same as 24 years ago when I was there! Thanks for posting pictures. Jim
Thanks for suggesting that Jim, it really made for a great lunch spot on our day trip to the U.P.!

post #36 of 42 Old 09-08-2009, 08:43 PM
That's Right!!!

Awards Showcase

Scott,

Thanks for sharing bro! That looks like a helluva great time! I still want an FJR or even an old FJ1200!

2003 Honda RC51
post #37 of 42 Old 09-09-2009, 04:53 AM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase

Looks like you had a great trip.

post #38 of 42 Old 09-09-2009, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Only back in the rat race for two days and I already wish I was still up north at a sidewalk bistro in Petosky enjoying another afternoon like this!

post #39 of 42 Old 09-09-2009, 07:26 PM
Vintage Honda

Awards Showcase

Got a chance to look at the pics... Great Ride. Remember the Wooden Show Factory/Rest. from 45 years ago... Don't recall seeing motorcycles on those trips...

post #40 of 42 Old 09-10-2009, 08:08 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Great ride and pics Scott! When you heading my direction? I need some people to ride with who actually enjoy the ride!

Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode