Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 5

Labor Day Weekend Ride Reports - check check

Labor Day Weekend 2007, One Wrong Turn or How I Met a Girl in a Gay Bar

The boat was offline.
Family plans were sketchy.
A Ride was Mandatory.

Called a riding bud at 0730, he needed xfer cycle-reg. from NJ to PA so a ride across the river was in order.

Riding bud finally shows at 1230...freakin bald-headed, hungover, slowazz, sleepin-in-late muffinhead that he is. A call to the Registration Agency confirms operational hours until 1500, we're good to go.

A quick check for appropriate riding gear, planning to get some miles in today both backroads and Interstate. Long pants, jackets, backprotectors, full gloves (tough even typin that word these days), picked the HJC clamshell cause the heat index was gonna be up a little.

Several twisties thru quickly diminishing farm country in central jersey gets you to the old concrete highway along the Delaware River, Rte 130. North or South your choice of bridges over to the Commonwealth, we opted for higher speed turnpike travel. Toll stops without EZ Pass put you at risk for a spill everytime, loads of oil...just takes a little water. Toll collectors will tell you the big bikes go down there all the time.

Moderate pass down the PA turnpike, just out pacing traffic by a bit, nothing crazy. Law Enforcement was keeping a high profile and this isn't exactly the best place for a lapse in discipline. Ten minutes later it's onto Lincoln Highway, dealing with Mall traffic on a holiday weekend, people cutting you off left and right and the oh so much fun drop from 55mph into a 25mph decreasing radius finishing blind at a stop light. More mall traffic, a few wrong turns and we find the place....closed 90 mins early in observance of the Holiday. Great...well, it was just an excuse to get out anyway and now we've got the chance to re-use the same rationale when missing half a day of this shortened work week. A japanese steak house is cited and it's time to get out of the sun, have a cool beverage and fantasize about subservient women.

So the two bikerguys sit down at the grill for some habachi style, have their drinks by the made to order, just off the plane, first time serving customers
greenpea waitress and hang out until enough guest show for the funny guy w/ the tall hat can smack the spatula. Four women take their seats, nuns as it turns out. (uh huh) I love it when a plan comes together Lunch ends.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 09-04-2007, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

Rolling out of the cage infested nightmare that are the shopping malls of the NorthEast, there's only one plan, head north and west...Bucks County. While heading north on 95 I fall to temptation, Rt 29, River Road, slow twisties infested by big cruisers, couples out for a sunday drive and flea marketeers....oh, and no passing.

Why, why fall to temptation?
Cause I know 'this place'.
Yep, one of those places worth a visit.
North of New Hope, past Dilly's, (very well known biker stop / dairy bar along the river, usually mobbed) up near Devil's Half Acre.
And there's the flaw, New Hope, Labor Day weekend.
So after what seemed like hours rolling right up the middle of town, past all the dressers parked at the trendy bars, past all the squids who ride without a helmet cause you can, finally relief as the road opens up for the merge w/ 202. All that stop and go just makes me want to head west, but 'the place' is north, so north it is. And north, and north and ...no 'place'?

post #3 of 26 Old 09-04-2007, 07:52 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

So, did you get a chance to convert a nun? Or, did the other one "love you long time, GI?"

post #4 of 26 Old 09-04-2007, 07:52 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

You have not lost a beat when it comes to story telling!

post #5 of 26 Old 09-04-2007, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

Double back, nope, didn't see it. Hmmmm...wrong side of the river? It's been 7 years. Over the Delaware again and north again. North to Frenchtown? Ok, I'm hosed missed 'the place' time to find 'a new place', flip a coin at the next intersection and it's off to central jersey farm country. Rolling hills, farms and the ever present law enforcement at the bottom of a hill, not unexpected and todays ride was about being out there and stayin safe, not even a second look...good.

post #6 of 26 Old 09-04-2007, 07:55 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

Did you order the spicy tuna sashimi?

post #7 of 26 Old 09-04-2007, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

So now, out in the middle of nowhere special, just loving the scenery and enjoying the best sounding 919 in the country, I find 'my place', that zen place, the place in your mind when 'stuff' drops away and your just doing, just being, all there in the moment.

Stop Sign.

Buddy flips up the visor, "Yo, where the F' is 'this place', I'm F$%&'ing thirsty!!"

Moment over.

"Uh, this way", I point in some random direction.
Turns out to be not so random, I start to recognize the names.
We're back down by the freakin River.
I make a couple turns to keep it interesting and stay off the Jersey-side river road. Easy to do, lot's of choices if you know where to look.
We rollup up to a stop in front of another bridge.
Einstein chimes in, "hey, didn't we cross this bridge about an hour ago?"
Yep, back over the Delaware a ways north of where George and the boys did it. South again, into the quaqmire that is labor day traffic around the artsy town/community/communist village that is NewHope-Lambertville and apparently expanding area.

post #8 of 26 Old 09-04-2007, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

Skirting part of the mayhem, and choosing to pass again on the downtown scene we pull into "a tavern outside of town". Looks maybe a little upscale but so does everything over here. I know a few roads off into Bucks that start right here, not a bad place to take a break and then fuel up down the road.

Walk in, looks like family dining to the left and a few football games on the TV's in the bar to the right. Ah the right turn, one of several 'wrong turns'.
One couple (should say, one wratchet jawed husband unloading on one bummed out wife...wife hanging tough and ordering her backup vodka tonic when a full glass arrives), couple guys and a bored looking waitress.

Time for a little something from America's oldest, continously operated brewery and if you haven't had their porter, you're missing out.

post #9 of 26 Old 09-04-2007, 08:09 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

You keep saying Newhope Petey and I'm getting a little worried about where this story may be headed!

For the un-intiated we'll just call it the artsy version of South Beach.

Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.
post #10 of 26 Old 09-04-2007, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51_CBRXX View Post
So, did you get a chance to convert a nun? Or, did the other one "love you long time, GI?"
We walked in the place and you couldn't help think 'Happy Ending' wrong as that it...the traditional dress, the typical social behavior of bowing, minimal eye contact, the dragon lady peeping from behind one of the 367 (or is it 919) secret panels stashed around the place.

Chow Yung Fat coulda busted through one of the walls and I wouldn't have been surprised. Course I woulda kicked his azz cause my dad knows Chuck Norris.

post #11 of 26 Old 09-04-2007, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by async View Post
Did you order the spicy tuna sashimi?
Never hit an 'unknown' sushi/sashimi bar, just won't do it.
(paranoid, spoiled and you don't know what kind of tuna you're getting and some of them aren't the best)

This time chose to endure 'the show' in exchange for some ginger salad & grilled filet mignon.

post #12 of 26 Old 09-04-2007, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

So we're checking out how the hillbilly's from boone whooped those snobby Blue bashterds while the Catholics take another one the hard way and my buddy turns to me and says, 'This place looks a little soft'.

"Huh?"

Look around, ok it's a helmet club 'cept for the wife who's now starting to hang onto the table for stability and ordering drinks by their pretty color. Gal at the bar seems friendly enough, hostess had dimples just the way I ... "Hello SWEETIE" and there's a hugging kissing fest with some of broadway's finest happening behind me. Oh sheesh, names I know, people you've seen.

Then like some sick 60's bachelor movie w/ Sinatra in a NYC playboy apartment...some old dude comes out of back office, hit's a switch, lights dim, techno 80's music comes over the sound system, I look over at the barmaid Lisa with eyes like a deer in the headlights and she smiles and says, "wait til the live music starts a little later" and offers up something on the house. Gulp.

post #13 of 26 Old 09-04-2007, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

The place filled up, the wife hit the deck, I asked the owner to give Lisa (the barmaid) tomorrow off to go to the shore. Request denied, phone number secured, time to roll out.

Ah, the crowds are gone but the sun isn't.
South to where General Washington pulled his bold and decidedly last ditch effort to keep the forces intact. Along the canals, America's old highways back when horsepower required feed bags and a song from grade school flashes thru the back of the brain and is gone.

One more time, a different bridge, different route and onto the interstate and off at the exit for Rt 206...NOT THAT EXIT FOR 206 !!!! But it's too late.

I shoulda been riding point, I always ride point, there's a stinkin reason I ride point...so I don't wind up in DOWNTOWN TRENTON after the sun's gone down!!! The town has gone straight up gangsta, Beirut, Iraq? Try down by the reservoir up by the old homes. Oh wait, was that fireworks? No? Gunfire? Great, that took all of 3 minutes.

Next stop I light I turn to him, flip the visor and say "Straight up, don't worry about traffic lights or stop signs, just follow me". Left, Right out onto the strip, no problem...and a freakin detour. Nice.

Abandoned steel mill, large tower rising out of the darkness, the Prison. Two throttle blips later and it's back on the superslab. Later than I wanted to be, slabbing it back. Find a gap on the sixlane, succumb to desire and relieve a little tension. It is the best sounding bike ever, I am emotionally attached and happy about it.

post #14 of 26 Old 09-04-2007, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

The last 40 miles is a gauntlet of leos doing their thing. No worries, I've had enough 'excitement' for one day and am content to let the rpm's stay below buzz level.

Further south of Trenton, towns actaully are setting off fireworks and we see 3 different displays on the way back. Cagers pulling over without warning on the side of the highway made it interesting but it's not a problem if you're paying attention to the road instead of the big, loud sparkley things in the air.

BAM taillights getting BIG BIG BIGGER....backend getting lighter and...I'm good, no worries....vrrrooom, there goes the ZRex by me on the right. I just look down and wait.

He stops.

Home safe and sound.

A couple hundred miles.
A couple stories.
A few more roads remembered, few new roads learned.
A few places forgotten, a new place learned (fwiw).
And one phone number from a gal who figures she'll take a shot on the guy with a good sense of humor about making a wrong turn.

post #15 of 26 Old 09-04-2007, 09:33 AM
libertine

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Just in time for the Frenchtown river fest lucky you. Did you stop and get a Tattoo?

post #16 of 26 Old 09-04-2007, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlux21 View Post
Just in time for the Frenchtown river fest lucky you. Did you stop and get a Tattoo?
Frenchtown was quiet relatively, mercifully.

Where we wound up, getting tattoo'd was out of the question.

post #17 of 26 Old 09-04-2007, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Frenchtown was quiet relatively, mercifully.

Where we wound up, getting tattoo'd was out of the question.

right now i'm trying to resolve some combination of traditional japanese, ancient gaelic w/ some south pacific tribal to get my ink plan laid out...it's tricky, too much goin on but need to rep certain things

post #18 of 26 Old 09-04-2007, 09:45 AM
libertine

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Next time your in that area and need a cold one stop by I'm sure I'll have a couple ready.

post #19 of 26 Old 09-04-2007, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

as long as there's no dimmer switches or techno music, i'm good

post #20 of 26 Old 09-04-2007, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

heck we were on 513, 612, 616, 617, 579, 523 before headin south

have to throw on the 9'r beacon next time and get talked in...

post #21 of 26 Old 09-04-2007, 09:58 AM
libertine

Awards Showcase

579 and 523 you were close. or just go on route 12.
You ever ride up 629 by roundvalley it's right off 523 fun little twisties on that road.

post #22 of 26 Old 09-04-2007, 10:13 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
579 and 523 you were close. or just go on route 12.
You ever ride up 629 by roundvalley it's right off 523 fun little twisties on that road.
Head North to SR23, quite a sweet ride along that route. I'll even occasionally make the trek form the Pocono's to hit that run early in the A.M.

post #23 of 26 Old 09-04-2007, 10:16 AM
libertine

Awards Showcase

I've been on SR 23 but I was driving the rental camper and not the bike I guess the bike would be more fun. It was hell with the camper.

post #24 of 26 Old 09-04-2007, 10:21 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I've been on SR 23 but I was driving the rental camper and not the bike I guess the bike would be more fun. It was hell with the camper.

It SUCKS with a camper!!! That is very near where we bought our camper in NJ. Try pulling a 32 foot camper w/o anti-sway bars attached through High Point State Park, that area is nothing but 20-25 mph switch-backs. Talk about white knuckle and butt pucker factor driving!!

post #25 of 26 Old 09-04-2007, 10:26 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase

Hey Ratdog, awesome story and ride! I nominate you for a great ride/story medal.

post #26 of 26 Old 09-04-2007, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadogs View Post
Hey Ratdog, awesome story and ride! I nominate you for a great ride/story medal.
no no...not on the gay bar story, i don't want that to go down in the 'anals' of history, i'll make another ride pronto

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode