LA, Malaysian MotoGP mayhem and Death Valley - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 71 Old 11-04-2009, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 3

LA, Malaysian MotoGP mayhem and Death Valley

Monday October 19, 2009

My day started early at about 5:00am. I was all packed and ready to go to the airport from the previous night. I was up until about 3:00 am tying up loose ends and going over my packing lists etc. My first flight left Pittsburgh at 8:00am and took me as far as Houston. I hate the Houston Airport. It is boring and they are cheap with the wifi. Luckily I was only there about 2 hours. I got on my second plane to LA at around 1:00 and after a boring flight landed in LA at about 3:00pm local time. I got my bag and picked up my rental car and headed to my hotel. I stayed at the Hollywood Celebrity Hotel in Hollywood. It was decently priced and had free parking which seemed to be hard to find in town. The hotel is a little dated, but it has a cool art deco design inside and is located near the walk of fame and all the other tourist trap stuff.

The first thing I decided to do was to take a short (distance wise) drive to Santa Monica to catch the sunset. It only took about 3 or 4 days to drive to the beach. LA traffic sux and I am glad I don’t have to deal with that kind of thing on a daily basis. I would never drive a car there if I was a local, it would be bike or walk. Taking a car anywhere is about as quick as walking. I barely made it there in time to leap out of the car and run down to the beach. It was incredibly windy there and I had just a few minutes of light before the sun was totally gone. I snapped a few of the beach.

Pacific Park

Cool old wagon

The Pier

Baywatch anyone?

The park rides

The beach community looking back from the pier

Uh, oh! Better behave.

Last pic on my way out before heading back to Hollywood.

I got back to the hotel after another looooooong drive and headed out onto Hollywood Blvd to check out the local freaks and such. I was not disappointed, as they were everywhere. I got hungry and stopped in at Skooby’s for some grub.

Don’t mind the gay guys, the food was great!

The church of Tom Cruise-ology

Kodak Theater

Chinese Theater

I wondered around all night until about 1:00 am and then finally headed back to the Hotel for the night. I had a long, long day coming up and I was tired. Stay tuned for more fun to come. Thanks for looking!

After many years and many dreams I have realized my goal of riding in all 50 states!

Now the rest of the world!

Every now and then go away and have a little relaxation. To remain constantly at work will diminish your judgment. --Leonardo Da Vinci
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 Old 11-04-2009, 11:52 PM

i like this pic..

look's Cool!!!

More please!!

post #3 of 71 Old 11-05-2009, 02:47 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Excellent bro. Great pics. Funny you took a pic of the Scientology Church. My best friend left the east coast 3 years ago to go and live in CA to study Scientology

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
2005 Honda CBR 600rr-Track

post #4 of 71 Old 11-05-2009, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornology View Post
i like this pic..

look's Cool!!!

More please!!
Thanks Korno.. More to come tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrimmon View Post
Excellent bro. Great pics. Funny you took a pic of the Scientology Church. My best friend left the east coast 3 years ago to go and live in CA to study Scientology
Wow! I like the Southpark episode about Scientology. It made me laugh a lot.

After many years and many dreams I have realized my goal of riding in all 50 states!

Every now and then go away and have a little relaxation. To remain constantly at work will diminish your judgment. --Leonardo Da Vinci
post #5 of 71 Old 11-05-2009, 03:23 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Cool, report and very nice pictures. I can do without the brokeback picture though.

post #6 of 71 Old 11-05-2009, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjoe View Post
Cool, report and very nice pictures. I can do without the brokeback picture though.
Come on now.... Admit it. That pic made your pants move a little.

post #7 of 71 Old 11-05-2009, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Tuesday October 20, 2009 part I

The excitement of this day got the best of me and I was up at 5:00am and ready to go. I had to check out of my hotel at 11 so I wanted to get all the close by site seeing done by 10:00. I shot some interior pics of the hotel and headed down to Hollywood Blvd.

Basic bathroom but good enough

Hotel interior

First stop was Grauman’s Chinese Theater

I wandered around on foot spotting the occasional drunk college kid stumbling back home, and a few “ladies” of the night. The blvd was pretty dead at this hour other than a few shop employees cleaning the sidewalks in front of their business, and commuters on their way to work. I headed back towards the hotel and spotted this neat place.

Magic Castle Hotel Club

I went back to my room and got all my stuff packed for my flight later that night (actually early the next morning 1:15am) I took one last look at the hotel and was on my way. I had a pleasant experience at the H’wood Celeb. Hotel and would probably stay there again. It was noisy at night from the apartment complex next to it on the left hand side where my room was. The residents came alive at about 2:00 am and were very loud. I had enough by 2:30am and opened my window and yelled out a couple STFU’s and all was quiet.

Front of Hollywood Celebrity Hotel.

The first stop on my driving tour of LA was the Hollywood Forever Cemetery. I am not usually a hit the goofy sights that everyone has to see traveler, but I have been to LA 3 or 4 times now and have never seen any of the “usual” stuff. I pulled into the cemetery and it was very peaceful and very, very well kept. It was immediately apparent that if you are buried here you had money or power or both. I didn’t have any maps of stars graves, but I just walked around and let luck guide me. I didn’t really see any of the big names here, but it was a relaxing morning and the weather was perfect. I could not have asked for a nicer day, sunshine and blue skies. I love LA!

RIP Johnny Ramone

Agent 86

Paramount is right behind the cemetery

Looking out the gate towards the Hollywood sigh.

post #8 of 71 Old 11-05-2009, 05:46 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Great report and pics so far, keep it coming!

'02 Honda 919 - She's the only one for me!

post #9 of 71 Old 11-05-2009, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Tuesday October 20, 2009 part II

I left the Cemetery and pointed my car towards Venice and Marina Del Rey. I expected the traffic to be as slow moving and annoying as it was the previous night, and I was right. I did pass a familiar sight from a couple years back when I rode my bike out here.

It took forever to get down to the coast. Once I got there I drove around Venice and looked at the nice houses and apartments dotting the beach and canals. I stopped for a while, parked the car and just watched the waves roll in. Listening to ocean is very cheap therapy for the soul. I took a couple photos and continued on my way.

I was looking for a little gear shop called Beach Moto in Marina Del Rey. The shop carries Revit gear and I have been hearing good things about it on the STN website and from a lot of adventure touring guys. I was interested in the Revit gear because the fit seems to be a little better for us skinny guys, unlike most of the stuff offered here in the States. I have a dozen different jackets and all of them are adjusted as small as they go in the waist and they are still too loose. I had some trouble finding the shop located on a side street off the main drag, but once there the owner was very friendly and answered all my questions about his gear. I will be purchasing a set of this stuff for my upcoming trip this summer. I was impressed with the fit and quality of the Revit brand.

My next and last destination for the day was Griffith Observatory to watch the sunset over the city of LA. I got directions from the guy at Beach Moto and got onto the 405. I was moving along good for about 10 minutes when I hit the ubiquitous traffic jam. I fought my way tooth and nail at speeds sometimes exceeding 27 mph along the LA freeway system to the Los Feliz/Griffith Park area. Along the way I spotted this funny truck.

I drove around the twisting narrow neighborhood streets of Los Feliz. I noted that it looked like a very nice place to live compared to a lot of the areas I had seen in LA so far. I entered Griffith Park and stopped at the little trailside café and got some pie and tea. It subdued my hunger for a while and I continued my drive up to the observatory. Driving along the very curvy road I thought to myself how much fun this would be on a motorcycle. (some day…) I caught my first glimpse of the Observatory and pulled off at a turn out to take a photo.

While looking up at the observatory I spied this little guy out of the corner of my eye. I stayed very still and he saw me but did not run. He continued to walk past me keeping a close eye on me as I was on him.

A bunch of other cars came roaring up the park road and the coyote ran off into the brush. I drove all the way up until I ran out of road. I parked the car and walked the rest of the short distance up the hill to see this!

Main entrance to Griffith

Hollywood Sign

Details of Griffith

Roof opening for telescope

City from Griffith, complete with smog

Finally what everyone has been waiting for, the sun begins to set.

The smog does wonderful things with the last bit of sunlight

Last shot of the city before I left Griffith

I drove my rental car back and took the shuttle to LAX. I arrived way ahead of time for my flight to Malaysia, which was lucky as the lines were very long. I waited 45 minutes just to get to check in for my flight and check my bag. There was another 45 minute wait to get to security and finally make my way to the gate. I was so early for my flight my boarding gate was full of people waiting for a flight to Korea so I went and sat in the next gate over where only a handful of people were sitting. I stuck up a conversation with a nice Chinese girl named Gigi (really, no kidding) It turns out she worked for 10 years in Cleveland, Ohio near my home and went to high school near Ashtabula, OH. We talked about all kinds of local stuff and had a great time for about 2 hours. When I finally left she asked for my phone number in case she was ever in Ohio in the future. I gave it to her and told her to call anytime she is in the area and my wife and I will take her out for dinner. She was very cute, tall, skinny and young. It made me feel a lot better about turning 40 the next day.

Next; off to Malaysia!

post #10 of 71 Old 11-05-2009, 07:12 PM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 

Excellent pics so far, I cant wait to see Malaysia!

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #11 of 71 Old 11-05-2009, 07:21 PM
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by justintyme73 View Post
Excellent pics so far, I cant wait to see Malaysia!
yeah..me too..

post #12 of 71 Old 11-06-2009, 04:25 AM

Yeah... Please!!!

post #13 of 71 Old 11-06-2009, 06:03 AM
Praefectus Castrorum

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Fehren, you never disappoint with your excellent pictures and details. You are a Traveler among travelers.

Spoiler:
"The list is an absolute good. The list is life."

"What kind'a tires you runnin'?"

post #14 of 71 Old 11-06-2009, 06:22 AM
Interceptor!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

Great thread and pictorial

Up for a ride?

"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."
Winston Churchill
post #15 of 71 Old 11-06-2009, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

October 21, 2009

I spent this entire day and night on a flight to Taipei. The only thing notable that happened was during the boarding of the flight. The flight was completely booked and watching people try and cram all their stuff into the overhead bins was comical. The highlight of my flight was watching the flight attendants try and close the bins. Most of the girls were short (and very cute) and could hardly reach the bins and had to give a little jump up just to get them latched. That was fun to watch.

October 22, 2009

The flight was long but smooth and I landed for the first time in Asia at the Taipei Airport. I got shuffled along my route to my connecting flight where I spent the next hour just standing up. I was so tired of sitting in a plane seat it felt great just to stretch out before the next flight.

After the almost 5 hour flight to Taipei we were finally making our final approach to the airport at KL. I opened the window and looked was greeted with lush green countryside, rolling hills and acres of palm tree plantations.

I stepped foot in Malaysia for the first time on my 40th birthday. How cool is that? I fulfilled a long time dream of mine to visit Asia as one of my most memorable birthdays of all time. I cleared customs without a hitch and got my bag from the luggage conveyor and then headed out the gate. There were people everywhere holding up signs with names on them and families greeting loved ones, but I did not see Advocat or any sign with my name on it. I walked around the general area looking for my ride, nothing…. The airport security and police started to ask me questions as to why I am still hanging around, I told them I was waiting for a ride. Then, there it was… a sign with my name (fehren) on it!!!! The only problem was it was being held up by a very young looking kid who also looked nothing like Advo, hmmn. I walked over and said “I’m fehren. Who are you?” He said he was a friend of Advo, (lonetrekkie on SBM) and he would drive me to the shop. He didn’t even look old enough to drive, but as I later realized, a lot of the people I met looked far younger than their actual age. Lucky them. We drove from the airport in the pouring rain and I saw a bunch of people on scooters hiding under bridges from the weather. I also saw a bunch of cars and bikes not quite make it all the way through some monster puddles that were at least 18” deep.

We arrived at Advos shop and I met a bunch of other guys, girls and I basically crashed on the couch and watched TV. It had been about 36 hours of no sleep for me at that point and I’m sure I looked tired. Eventually I met Advo and we chatted about this and that and bikes and I knew he and I would be immediate friends. He then took me to the place I was staying and then said to rest and freshen up for later that night. I assume they had something fun planned, but when they came to get me I was out cold and they just let me sleep. That was a huge favor as I needed it.

My first day in Malaysia was short and I was tired, but I already met a bunch of great guys and I knew then that this trip would be a great one. I could not wait for the next day!

post #16 of 71 Old 11-06-2009, 11:01 AM
red dirt girl

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration BOTM Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Wow!! Great story...
Thanks for taking the time and effort to share it with us po' folk.
post #17 of 71 Old 11-06-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
Wow!! Great story...
Thanks for taking the time and effort to share it with us po' folk.
+1

post #18 of 71 Old 11-06-2009, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. I hope you can get a small glimpse of the exceptional time I had on this trip. The people were the greatest part of it all. I will be back again.

Friday October 23, 2009

I woke up early at about 5:00 am and took a look around in the daylight. Someone else arrived where I am staying in the middle of the night as I see another pair of shoes by the door and a set of keys on the table. I looked out the balcony over the city below.

My new roommate rolled out of bed around 8 or so and I recognized him from the shop last night, it was Baim. He and I went to the shop and met up with Korno and headed out for breakfast at paparich. We had a marvelous breakfast that was a little spicy and very good. They took me to the KTM shop to meet some more of the guys.

As I would come to expect here, everyone was very nice and welcoming the minute I met them. I met a big Frenchman ex-commando by the name of Stefan at the shop and we talked on and on about the differences in riding culture between France, Malaysia and the United States. I had a great time with all the guys at the shop. We then went back to Advo’s shop and of course it started to rain (as usual).

I was told this time of year is the rainy season, so I guess I will be seeing a lot more of it. Sam and I got to pose for our greeting picture.

Sam said he would be busy most of the day so I expected to spend a lot of time lounging around in the shop or what not, but that was not the case. I was going sight seeing with Korno. We had a mission to buy a new camera for Sam and I needed a different power adapter than I had, so we went shopping in a HUGE electronics mall. Each floor had a specialty from cell phones, to cameras to computers. Korno got a nice Cannon camera and I got a universal power adapter for like $4 USD. Can’t beat that. We then headed to Petronas Towers to check it out. The shopping here was very, very high end and there were lots of tourists from the UK and China eager to spend lots of $$$ on shiny new doo-dads. I just took pictures. There was a MotoGP display that we had to see.

Korno forced me to pose for this photo… ;-)

Inside the mall, lined with floor after floor of big money goods.

looking a long, long way up

I’m pretty tall. No?

We also took a tour of the underground aquarium in Petronas Towers. It was a fun time. It would be a great place to take your family for a day.

It doesn’t look it in this picture, but this fish was about 6 feet long. I would not want to bump into one of these in a river or lake.

Me lazing about.

Hope the glass doesn’t break

I think I made a new friend

We left the aquarium and the towers behind and made our way through the traffic to the SBM Shop. I posed with some of the KTM’s that had just got the full decal treatment the night before. The decals are amazing and the application was superb. Sam’s friend owns a decal shop and did all the work (Zulkawa) and is also a very nice guy.

Advo’s RC8

The really cool Duke 690 that I rode all over KL and to the races

Korno’s Metal Mulisha bike! This bike rocks. Love the look and all the details.

I was then taken out for a long, long night on the town complete with celebratory karaoke singing and “other” stuff. I’m sure you have all seen “the” pictures. We got in at 4:00 am and I was so wired I couldn’t even sleep. The GP qualifying was coming up and I didn’t want to sleep a wink. I spent the night looking out over the city lights until the sun came up and it was another day of adventure. The no sleep Malaysia adventure continues! LOVING IT!

post #19 of 71 Old 11-06-2009, 06:41 PM

Yes.. My ride!!

More please!!

post #20 of 71 Old 11-06-2009, 07:39 PM
Imaginifer

Excellent report and photos. Looking forward to more! Thank you.

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
---Thomas Jefferson 1776.
post #21 of 71 Old 11-07-2009, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Saturday October 24, 2009 part I

GP Qualifying

I did not sleep at all as I was too excited about the day that lie ahead. I showered early and waited for Sam to come and pick me up. It was already a hot humid morning and it was barely past 6am.

Sam picked me up and we headed to the SBM shop and met up with Korno. They found a jacket, gloves and helmet that fit me and we fired up the KTM’s and away we went. This was an exciting experience for me; it was my first ride on the KTM Duke, my first time riding in KL traffic, and my first time piloting ANY vehicle in a left hand driving lane! It was an eye opening experience. The traffic was nuts and even though it appeared that traffic lights, stop signs and yield signs were mere suggestions more than absolute rules, the traffic flowed and there were no crashes. Once we got on the interstate I found that the posted speed limit signs were also more of a suggestion than law as we routinely did 140 to 160kph in posted 90 or 110kph zones. The best part of it all was all the roads were toll roads, but motorcycles are exempt!! That’s right, we went right around the toll booths in a small lane built just for bikes and scooters I assume. Cool.
The first stop was breakfast to meet up with some more of the guys/girls. You can’t start any day in Malaysia without breakfast.

The whole gang suited up and we then rode (rapidly) to the track where we waited at the gate for access inside. I am amazed at how well these guys can ride in this situation, especially since most of them have not ridden that long. The size of bike to the size of rider also impressed me, I could barely get both feet on the ground and these guys who are almost all shorter than me were handling these bikes like champs. I was impressed to say the least. Once we were cleared to enter we all rode into the KTM display area and parked our bikes under a bright orange tent. They took our gear and stored it safely behind the counter, gave us our “VIP” passes and we were free to roam. Ah, the good life.

Here is Sam and I on our respective rides

I don’t know why, but I kept losing Sam only to find him with some cute girls

I’m thinking she and I will meet again in a few days on this very track

Black beauties

I don’t think this is the right bike for Sam….

Korno, on the other hand fits it just right

They kept “forcing” me to pose for these photos, lots of arm twisting involved

Close up of Korno’s bike, decals by Zulkawa

KTM stunt rider Oliver Ronzheimer

Sam on his RC8

Young girl giving a scooter a workout

Oliver comes back for some more stunts

Advo and Ustaz

The whole gang eating (again, ha, ha) in the VIP area

SBM gang

Who’s that mat salleh in there

Korno poses in front of the pit crew booth

Ustaz does the same

more to come in part II

post #22 of 71 Old 11-07-2009, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Saturday October 24, 2009 part II

GP Qualifying

We continued our walking tour of the pits when I spotted her. This pit girl towered above all the other girls here and most of the men too! Once again they made me pose for another photo.

HRC anyone? Don’t like the rider, but I still love the bike

Kentucky Kid

Ouch, that hand rail is HOT!

In the middle of the day Sam’s wife Liza came to pick us up and take us to a friends house warming party. She was very nice, and pretty and boy could she drive. It was an exciting ride to the party, I thought she was going to drift the car a few times on the off-ramps. When we got to the house, it was beautiful and everyone greeted me like a long lost friend. We had to eat while we were here (of course) and the food was great, and the company was also.

We returned to the track and settled in to watch one of the support races.

Turn 1

This guy didn’t quite make the corner.

Looks like the heat took it’s toll on this bike

After the races were over we suited up and left the Sepang Circuit. We stopped in a very nice area to watch the sunset. I don’t remember the name of the area, but all the govt. buildings and ministries are located here as well as all the housing for the employees. Looks like the taxes must be really high here. We all relaxed and posed for photos.

Everybody JUMP

What a good looking crew

The sunlight begins to fade

Huge convention center on the hill looks like a UFO floating above the street

We went to a beautiful mosque and just watched the people. There were whole families running around having a good time, laughing and playing with each other. Everyone was smiling and it was contagious, I was smiling too.

We rode out onto a suspension bridge and parked the bikes on facing the back side of the mosque we were just at. The lights reflecting off the water made for a stunning scene, I tried my best to capture it, but hand holding a long exposure only goes so far.

We left the city built on taxes and headed back to KL. We all stopped at a small diner on a dirt side road and had a seat outdoors in the cool night air. As I have come to expect in Malaysia, the food was good and plentiful and the company was a pleasure. I’m convinced at this point that by the time I get back home I will not fit in any of my pants from all the eating, but that doesn’t stop me. I can lose weight anytime, right now I want to eat!

Everyone was fed and we mounted up again and pointed the bikes towards KL. As we got closer to the city the traffic got heavier and more congested. Our group got separated and we were all lane splitting and trying our best to make our way through the traffic. We got caught up in a Chinese Festival at one point but we all made it to our final destinations that night. There were a few jokes made about spooning with my roommate that night, but it was all in good fun. I got to bed late again about 2:00 am, this is becoming the norm for my trip so far. I can sleep when I get back home. Tomorrow is the main event, MotoGP!

post #23 of 71 Old 11-08-2009, 05:00 AM
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by fehren2800 View Post

I don’t know why, but I kept losing Sam only to find him with some cute girls

i practiced voodoo!!

post #24 of 71 Old 11-08-2009, 05:56 AM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatt View Post
i practiced voodoo!!
LOL. That must be it.

post #25 of 71 Old 11-08-2009, 06:51 AM

Nice report... more please!!!

post #26 of 71 Old 11-08-2009, 09:19 AM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation 

WOW!
Speechless!

post #27 of 71 Old 11-08-2009, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Thanks. Working on it right now. I'll have another installment in an hour or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornology View Post
Nice report... more please!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by myztical View Post
WOW!
Speechless!

post #28 of 71 Old 11-08-2009, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Sunday October 25 2009

MotoGP Race Day part I

I got up early again around 5:00 am, partly because I am an early riser, but mostly I could not wait for the race. I used the time I was waiting to be picked up to organize my suitcase for the remainder of my trip here in KL. It has been a week since I left home and the laundry situation was looking pretty slim. Luckily I had a bunch of new shirts to wear courtesy of Sam. (Yay!) Same came and got us and we took the bikes to the track once again. As required by law in Malaysia we had to stop for breakfast along the way, and also to meet up with the rest of the guys.

Look! My bike followed me to Malaysia

When breakfast was finished we headed to the track. Today the traffic was much heavier and there were bikes everywhere. We zigged and zagged our way in and out of traffic and at one point I saw a whole gang of scooters being escorted by police bike. We rode right into the track again and parked our bikes at the KTM tent. The crowds were substantially larger today, a decent turn out for the GP. I wandered around with my camera shooting whatever caught my eye and posing for a few as well.

The all orange clan

A sea of yellow shows just how popular Rossi really is

The guys take advantage of rare shade

Where’d Sam go… Oh, right

The sign says Ducati, but all I see is Harleys???

Yup

Aaaaannndd, again

I must see something worth a photo

It was hard work taking all these pictures, but I sacrificed my time for you guys

Eye in the sky

Fellow Nikon enthusiast, Fariq

This girl is whiter than me! I hope she is wearing sunscreen.

I took a bunch of photos of the 250 race, but I am at a loss as to who most of them are. I really only watch the big bike race and even then it is rare for me to watch an entire race. I have a whole bunch of pics of the 250 guys that I will be putting up in a separate album for anyone who wants to see them. I also will have a separate album for all the motoGP girls too when I sort them out ;-)

After the 250 race we headed inside to soak up some of the air conditioning and to eat again. This time I did the arm twisting and forced these unwilling victims to pose with the girls.

A few of us ventured outside again to check on the progress of the upcoming race and to have another look around.

Korno!

Hey, I think we have met before.

Unfortunately it started to cloud up, and then drizzle and then it started to full on rain. We all hid under roof, except the bravest of fans (or those with umbrellas). The rain was coming down pretty good and it bounced off the tile on the top level of the viewing area.

Eventually the race was declared wet and the grid started to line up. I got a plastic bag to wrap my camera in and I ventured out into the rain to take up a good viewing position for the race. Little by little the fans came out. The racers were ready to go and we were excited to watch. The race is about to start!

Continued in part II

post #29 of 71 Old 11-09-2009, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Sunday October 25 2009

MotoGP Race Day part II

The rain did not stop. The racers rolled out of the pits one by one to take their positions on the grid.

A huge contingent of rabid Rossi fans was just across the track in the stands showing their support.

Here comes the man… I think his leathers are too tight in a few places

And there off!

There was a bunch of this

I’m hoping everyone knows the outcome of the race by now. Here comes Stoners crew to celebrate his win.

Stoner wheelies across the finish line

Rossi does the same

There was much celebrating by the Rossi fans and another World Title for the Doctor. We all made our way back to the KTM tent to prepare for our departure from Sepang. A few parting shots…

KTM sticker? Where?

There he goes again

a future biker

The whole gang rode to Papa Rich for some delightful food and great conversation about the days events. A good time was had by all. I would like to give a huge thank you to all my new friends. I had the best time at the race and afterwards as well. It was the best race of my life to date, thank you all.

On the ride home it was pandemonium, with traffic and bikes going everywhere. I ended up following the wrong bike down an off ramp and we got separated from the group. It was actually a lucky mishap, as I ended up in this beautiful area.

Tomorrow, another adventure!

post #30 of 71 Old 11-11-2009, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Monday October 26 2009

It was another marathon day at the GP on Sunday and another 4 am bed time. I got a new room mate last night again, and he is coming along with us sight seeing and shopping today! The first thing we all did was to go and have breakfast LOL. We then picked up Baim’s girlfriend and went to breakfast again. After 2nd breakfast we took his girlfriend to school and dropped her off for the day. Once it was just guys again we headed out of town to the countryside. We traveled some nice roads fit for motorcycle fun, but we were on 4 wheels that day. We stopped along side the road where it overlooks KL for some photos.

Baims car. I like all the cars in this country, nice and small and useful. No GIANT suv’s here.

Chan and Baim with KL in the background

On our way back into KL we stopped at a motorcycle shop. Here I met a great fellow that makes custom exhausts. The shop was called 25 degree Cycle and the manager was Othman. We talked about bikes, exhausts and how much fun I was having in KL. It was a cool little shop, and very cool that you can get custom one off exhausts done here for not a lot of money. I watched the welder start to piece together a set of pipes and he does good work. We left the shop and headed back towards KL for some tourist activities. On the way we just had to stop to eat again at a roadside place. I call it place because it was just a small food service wagon parked along the road. The food was good and I was completely stuffed at this point and could have gone at least 3 days without eating.

The roadside eatery

We all piled into the car and drove off to KL Tower. KL tower looks much like the Space Needle in Seattle and has the same purpose, a viewing platform for tourists to get a good look at the city from above. We found a parking spot and went inside and purchased our tickets for our ride to the top.

The beautiful ceiling in the lobby where you get on the elevators.

The Petronas Twin Towers from the KL Tower

My new buddy Chan and I

Baim

Around the top of the observation deck are about 8 or 10 viewing areas. I walked around and checked them all out. The glass was a little hazy from all the recent rain, but you could still see the city below. I was amazed at all the construction I saw in every direction. KL is a city on the rise, housing, apartments, business centers, malls and skyscrapers were being built on every available piece of land. It is nice to see this type of activity coming from the rust belt of Ohio. The area I live in has been in steady decline for the last 30 years, and it is good to be in a place where things are changing for the better.

Looking down on the city below

We took our last looks out the windows and rode the elevators back down to the lobby for the rest of the KL Tower experience. There was a small zoo, the F1 challenge and the pony rides…. We did not do the pony rides, ha, ha, ha. We walked outside to the lower level deck and spotted a couple getting ready to ride the zip line. The guy went first after a little prodding from the guy running the zip line ride.

The girl on the other hand was having none of it. We waited for about 5 minutes for her to tip toe to the edge, lay down on the platform and do everything not to step off the edge. Finally she got the courage to go (after I yelled out to the guy to just push her off).

I looked up the tower from below and was shooting this pic.

It was then that my gaze turned to one crazy couple from who knows where sporting the weirdest outfits I had seen on this trip. The guy looked like a blonde version of Bono from U2 and the girl looked like the wife of Dog the bounty hunter. I could not leave without getting a photo of those two.

When the laughter caused by Bono and Dogs wife subsided we filtered our way through the crowds to the small zoo.

Anyone want to climb in the enclosure with this guy?

Harrrrrrrrrrrrrr…. (best pirate voice)

One of the most interesting animals I saw was this skunk. It was very light and had no black fur. They were very active never stopped moving, it was hard to get a quick shot, but I tried.

After the zoo was the F1 challenge. Basically it is the cockpit of an F1 car with a huge video screen in front of you that simulates a race. You get to sit in chairs and watch the other people race and then it is your turn. I jumped in the car and just drove. When it was all over I thought I had finished dead last, as I had not seen another car the whole time. I was relieved to find out I finished first, yay! On our way back to the car there was another victim of the zip line. Her expression is priceless.

It was getting late and Chan had to leave for home, so we dropped him off and Baim and I headed to market central for some shopping. The shopping center is mostly tourist stuff, trinkets and such which was perfect as I just wanted some small stuff to take back home for my wife and family. I ended up getting my wife a silk head scarf and some small refrigerator magnets. We don’t even like fridge magnets, but we have them from everywhere we have been.

The day was coming to an end and I was shuttled back to SBM to meet up with Sam and Liza for dinner. I said goodbye to Baim and parked it on the couch while Sam attended to a customer buying a new KTM! Check out the Canfield Honda and Pointview Cycle stickers on the display case ha, ha, ha. I wonder if anyone asks about those?

Sam and Liza took me to a very nice restaurant with a small river and waterfall right behind our table. I had a wonderful time with the two of them and we talked all through dinner. The two of them talked me into a foot massage after dinner. The massage place was downtown and we had to squeeze our way into a tiny parking spot causing a little bit of scuffing to Sam’s nice rims on his car. Dang. I didn’t know what to expect once inside as I had never had a foot massage before. It was strange at first, but apparently it was relaxing as Sam and I both fell asleep making us unwilling victims of this photo;

Tomorrow I get to ride on the track!!

post #31 of 71 Old 11-11-2009, 08:32 AM
Interceptor!

Awards Showcase

This thread is fantastic! Thank you fehren2800 (and advocatt, for making it happen in the first place).

Up for a ride?

Winston Churchill
post #32 of 71 Old 11-11-2009, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrealmax View Post
This thread is fantastic! Thank you fehren2800 (and advocatt, for making it happen in the first place).
The thanks go out to Advo and all his friends, they made all this happen. I'm just reporting about it.

I am so glad I went and now I will remember my 40th birthday as a good thing because of this trip.

post #33 of 71 Old 11-11-2009, 01:46 PM
Interceptor!

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by fehren2800 View Post
The thanks go out to Advo and all his friends, they made all this happen. I'm just reporting about it.

I am so glad I went and now I will remember my 40th birthday as a good thing because of this trip.
Hmmm...I am turning 40 next year...

Up for a ride?

Winston Churchill
post #34 of 71 Old 11-11-2009, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrealmax View Post
Hmmm...I am turning 40 next year...
Well, make it a good one and do something spectacular. When are you turning 40?

post #35 of 71 Old 11-12-2009, 10:36 AM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

After reviewing the thread and after much thought and deliberation, I have come to the conclusion that this thread really sucks! Also, I conclude that I no longer like Fehren and Advocatt! They suck too!
Is it obvious that I am really jealous ?!?!? Huh ?!?!

I just stopped everything I was doing to look at all your pictures. That was an amazing trip and thank you so much for sharing it with us. I have to make that trip.

By the way, please advise that girl doing the stunts to pick a different protective jacket. Just trust me on this.

post #36 of 71 Old 11-12-2009, 04:30 PM
Tesserarius

wheres RC90 btw?

post #37 of 71 Old 11-12-2009, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila-RC51 View Post
After reviewing the thread and after much thought and deliberation, I have come to the conclusion that this thread really sucks! Also, I conclude that I no longer like Fehren and Advocatt! They suck too!
Is it obvious that I am really jealous ?!?!? Huh ?!?!

I just stopped everything I was doing to look at all your pictures. That was an amazing trip and thank you so much for sharing it with us. I have to make that trip.

By the way, please advise that girl doing the stunts to pick a different protective jacket. Just trust me on this.
Thanks, I had an amazing time. The report isn't done yet though. I have one more day in Malaysia and then a couple more days in California!

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatt View Post
wheres RC90 btw?
I think he is still locked up in Moto's closet.

post #38 of 71 Old 11-12-2009, 07:16 PM
BANNED!

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Good Lord I need to update my passport....

Absolutely FANTASTIC Advo...

I LOVE Tig Bitties!
post #39 of 71 Old 11-13-2009, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Tuesday October 27 2009

Goodbye to Malaysia

I had been up until the wee hours of the night getting my suitcase and backpack organized for today. I needed to have everything for the track handy in my luggage and still have it all packed for the flight. I was up at 6:30 finalizing all my paperwork, passports, tickets etc. into their respective travel locations, so I could present them at a moments notice.

Sam came around 7:30 to take me to Sepang. Our first stop was… you guessed it, breakfast! We ate at a little place near the SBM shop and then we headed out to the track.

Traffic was light on the way to the track

We got to the track and took a look around

Mmmmmm sexy

I think I wore the wrong color shirt

KTM Track Day

Some borrowed gear for me.. Thanks guys.

Everyone is ready to ride

One of the KTM big wigs talks about the company plan, the track day and really ramps us up. I have to give a huge thanks to Samry. Without his assurance to the guys at KTM I would have had to qualify on all the different bikes before getting a ride on the RC8. He really made this day happen for me, and all my new friends took care of me with the rest; leathers, helmet, gloves and boots.

Sam and I ready to go

Just like 2 pros, umbrella girls and all

We got out on the track and I was a little nervous. I was on a very expensive bike with cold tires on a track I had never been on following a Malaysian Champion around for the first lap. Yikes. I would like to say I really put the hammer down and my skills amazed everyone, but mostly I just wobbled around. I didn’t crash the bike (bonus) and I ended the session knowing that I had just rode an awesome bike around the same circuit that I watched Stoner, Pedrosa and Rossi on just a few days earlier. I was smiling the whole time. When I came into the pits I was literally jumping for joy, I was grinning from ear to ear and yelling and hugging everyone. I can’t express the feeling in words, it was simply one of the best days of my life.

I had a flight to catch, so I stripped out of my leathers, and took a quick (freezing) shower at the track. I crumpled up my sweaty clothes into my suitcase and Sam and I headed to the airport.

KL airport

I checked in for my flight and said goodbye to Sam. I then did the security hokey pokey and sat down at my gate and waited for my flight. It started to rain outside and all the ground crew ran for cover.

I boarded the plane and as we took off I was hit with a wave of emotions. I was sad to be leaving this place with all it’s beauty and all my new friends, but also happiness knowing that I was headed back home to see my family again. I will miss this place, but I will return some day to visit again, some day soon.

post #40 of 71 Old 11-13-2009, 08:30 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

what a great photo essay ... and a great time with new friends...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode