Motorcycle Picture Game Award Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 3

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 Old 12-26-2013, 07:49 AM
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 12

Nice house Ken.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

49/50 visited on two wheels. 1 more to go!
post #3 of 60 Old 12-26-2013, 07:55 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Nice backhoe too!

post #4 of 60 Old 12-26-2013, 04:18 PM
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I think he's going for an iron butt.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

post #5 of 60 Old 12-26-2013, 07:55 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Go Ken Go!

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #6 of 60 Old 12-26-2013, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase

I'm about 20 minutes behind schedule at the half way point for the BBG1500. It's cold at 80mph. I had to don the insoles. Electrics are performing admirably.
post #7 of 60 Old 12-27-2013, 02:27 AM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

BBG1500.... this isn't the iron butt 1000 folks. We're talkin BunBurnerGold 1500 which is 1500+ miles in 24 hours. I'm a few hours from 29Yo and I'm feeling like keeping up with this thread.

BunBurner GOLD Rules
Attached Images
File Type: png gokengo.png (134.6 KB, 39 views)

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #8 of 60 Old 12-27-2013, 02:50 AM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Looks like Tuscon as the end point. Good luck Ken!

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

post #9 of 60 Old 12-27-2013, 05:30 AM
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase

Tuscon would only be about 1,350 miles. He needs to go a bit further than that.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

post #10 of 60 Old 12-27-2013, 05:41 AM
Omnivore

Maybe Phoenix? Which would be appropriate

post #11 of 60 Old 12-27-2013, 05:44 AM
Milites Gregarius

go ken, Ive been with ya most of the way during the night (except for when I fell asleep some under the warm covers). Any way i am with you in spirit... you are the man. drive safe , lew

post #12 of 60 Old 12-27-2013, 07:36 AM
Toll Runner

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Should have come by when you were in Austin.

post #13 of 60 Old 12-27-2013, 07:39 AM
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase

Looks like he's taking a nap. I don't think he got the bun burner gold, but that's definitely a saddlesore.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

post #14 of 60 Old 12-28-2013, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase

Hey somebody post a copy of the map now before it goes away.

BB1500 end point: Blythe CA

SS2000 end point: Los Banos CA
post #15 of 60 Old 12-28-2013, 10:40 AM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

I just looked and the route only shows CA now. I didn't even catch you go across AZ or NM!

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

post #16 of 60 Old 12-28-2013, 02:03 PM
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase

I drop off for a day and he's now all the way to Los Banos, CA?

Ken, I hope you plan on taking the PCH along the way back. You would be missing out big time if you only take the interstate all the way through CA.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

post #17 of 60 Old 12-28-2013, 03:05 PM
Aquilifer

PCH is a must ride, especially up in the northern region of cali!!!!

Rob C

88 Blue Hawk (NT650) Project Pics - http://tinyurl.com/clw8h3q
2000 DL650 - Being ridden but make me an offer if interested...
2002 DL1000 V-Strom
post #18 of 60 Old 12-28-2013, 03:08 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sckill View Post
I drop off for a day and he's now all the way to Los Banos, CA?

Ken, I hope you plan on taking the PCH along the way back. You would be missing out big time if you only take the interstate all the way through CA.
+1 on PCH The best parts of PCH is definitely through Big Sur and all along that way (very close to where you are at the moment). It's winter so you might be able to luck out on a camp ground at Kirk Creek, cliffside sites overlooking the ocean. Stuff for posters

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

post #19 of 60 Old 01-04-2014, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase

Hello fellow Wrist Twisters! I'm back! 4,848 glorious miles in 10 days. My 919 performed flawlessly! Now the picture uploading and report writing begins. Stay tuned.

Meantime, I've been doing play by play updates on facebook. That's a fun read too.

https://www.facebook.com/ken.phenix

Oh yeah, I bumped into another WT'er (dreamwvn) in Sacramento. Great to meet you Ed!

post #20 of 60 Old 01-04-2014, 09:29 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Good to see you make it back without trouble Ken! The pics looks cool. It's one thing with just the lights and screen but the bike looks pretty damn cool with the luggage setup. 2nd pic down

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

post #21 of 60 Old 01-05-2014, 07:06 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Welcome back Ken. Looks like a great trip and always cool to meet another WT in person.

post #22 of 60 Old 01-05-2014, 07:57 AM
Optio

Garage
Looks like great trip Ken! I would love to get out and do that one day! You put on more mile on that trip than I have in 2 years, lol.

2016 Honda Africa Twin
2007 Honda 919
1998 Kawi ZX9R (Sold)
post #23 of 60 Old 01-05-2014, 07:59 AM
Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedave View Post
Looks like great trip Ken! I would love to get out and do that one day! You put on more mile on that trip than I have in 2 years, lol.
I was just thinking the same thing ..... Ken Phoenix you are a beast!

post #24 of 60 Old 01-05-2014, 10:36 AM
Road Pilot

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Phenix View Post

Great picture! This makes me miss riding through Central America a LOT. When is the next south west WT meet?
post #25 of 60 Old 01-06-2014, 06:01 PM
peanuts

Ken,

It was a great privilege to meet you. Real life WristTwister awesomeness! Way cool. Just made it back home also. Motorcycle road adventures are a wonderful thing . Look forward to checking out more of your trips. Fantastic!

post #26 of 60 Old 01-07-2014, 07:12 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

This thread is most certainly WristTwisters approved! Great job.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #27 of 60 Old 01-07-2014, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase

RIDE REPORT: CHAPTER I

When the prospect of a winter trip became a possibility, I set a few goals. I wanted to see the Pacific again. I hadn't seen it since I was 11. And of course I wanted to ride the Pacific Coast Highway. An Iron Butt ride (SS2000) was almost a necessity just to get to the west coast in the limited time available but what I really wanted was to earn a Bun Burner Gold. Don't ask me why. I wanted to meet and ride with internet rider buds in California and weather and time permitting Washington State. There's the annual polar bear ride New Year's Day in Vancouver WA too. It would also be nice to work in a visit with Aunt Peachie who lives in The Sierras close to the Nevada border but I figured everything at that altitude would be impassable on two wheels.

The Tigress (my 919) was ready and eager to stretch her legs. Brake pads, oil change, rear tire and one wheel bearing were all she needed. One by one I scratched the little mods I planned off the list as the holiday season hit at the shop. There was no time. I spent Christmas day packing the bike - no small feat but everything fit.

Today's the day, December 26th. I pulled out a little after 9am with a couple of stops to make before the gas stop to start the clock. As I passed by a local bike dealer "The Motorcycle Man"Ě I noticed the open sign then and discovered my friend Revon Craig inside at his desk. He happily agreed to be my start witness. What a pleasant surprise!

With my sights on a Bun Burner Gold, I hit the road at 11am. From Houston my route took me north to Waco and back down through San Antonio to ensure the 2000+ miles I needed. I made excellent time until construction and holiday traffic stopped me cold south of Waco. I lost precious time but was determined to make it. Rain in San Antonio reminded me why I replaced my old comfortable gloves. I refused to take time to unpack the "good"Ě gloves and just turned up the heat. My heated insoles however, were readily accessible in the top case and I plugged them in somewhere in west Texas. After a while though, they were at maximum and losing their effectiveness. I could feel the wires burning my wet fingers but my hands were still cold. I stopped in Deming NM at 5am mountain time to layer up and change gloves. It was 20 degrees and I had been running 75mph for several hours. I was asking myself, is wind chill cumulative or exponential? Didn't matter - it was cold. Then to my chagrin the 24hr gas pump I had meticulously mapped out was off. I took more time to find fuel. At Lordsburg I came to the realization I would not capture the gold this time and took a 3 hour nap at the Econo Lodge.

Refreshed and with plenty of time to snag the standard Bun Burner 1500 I pressed on. Arizona was sunny and gorgeous with mid-day temps in the high 50's. I encountered some traffic in Phoenix but then enjoyed a particularly spectacular sunset. I rode well past the 1500 mile mark - like 200 miles past and gassed up in Desert Hot Springs California at literally the last minute.

I met up with Mike at a burger joint on the east side of LA.

We had a great visit and then he led me through the spaghetti bowl - I could see his tail light in the distance. I had never seen anybody drag knee on a Burgman before!

With fatigue setting in, I pulled off and let myself doze off for 10 minutes or so with my head on the tank bag. I had made a wrong turn onto Hwy 99 and didn't realize it until after getting gas in Bakersfield and not finding the I-5 ramp. I had to map a back road route west back to I-5. The adrenalin shot from the anger and frustration I felt just may have given me the energy to complete the ride. I made it to the designated end point in Gustine CA at 7am Pacific time and checked in the Motel 6. I fell asleep while texting Dan, my end of ride witness of my arrival. How do I look?
post #28 of 60 Old 01-07-2014, 10:11 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Fantastic. You have another award too. Congrats.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #29 of 60 Old 01-07-2014, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase

The room was tiny with a large window only a few feet from the raging interstate - BUT - I had ear plugs. Deep slumber ensued. When I awoke I called Dan. He had given me the address of The Junction, an eatery and our rendezvous point about 50 miles away. I didn't snap to what was in store for me when he said, "I'll see you in about 3 hours." And then I found out.

He led me through more excruciatingly twisty roads up to the Lick Observatory.

Then I followed him home. I must add that up until this day I only thought I knew what a twisty road was. Whoa! After a nice dinner we spent the evening trip planning and enjoying some fine Islay single malt.

My next treat was breakfast at Alice's with rider friends Ralph and Regina.

Then Dan and Regina led me to a San Francisco beach and pointed me at the bridge.

Thanks again for everything CRASH!
post #30 of 60 Old 01-07-2014, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase

So what was it that made my friends scatter? All I said was that I wanted to ride over The Golden Gate Bridge.

TRAFFIC! That's what. It took me over an hour. I am soooo over The Golden Gate Bridge.

Here's a shot of the bay.

My attention turned quickly ahead - to the Pacific Coast Highway and the deep blue ocean beyond. Breathtaking.

The road and view were incredible but I began to realize the going was too slow and I'd have to punch it to reach my goal of Ft Bragg or Eureka by nightfall. The afternoon sun was quite warm compared to the crisp 40 degree morning. I had peeled off electric and thermal layers and since my cases were full I deployed the bungee net on the top case to secure them. Later at my next gas stop - the unthinkable. I discovered I had neglected to hook the bungee net at a previous stop and my cold weather gear so vital for my trip home was GONE! I retraced my route and luckily recovered the gear before dark. There was heavy traffic and I had to endure watching countless cars and trucks and even a land yacht as they ran over my stuff. It took an eternity to find a safe place to put the sidestand down and wait for a break in the traffic. To my surprise my hand-made heated liner wasn't shredded. I plugged it in and it still worked save the left arm. An easy fix. How stupid and how lucky was I?
post #31 of 60 Old 01-07-2014, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase

RIDE REPORT: CHAPTER II

My luck held a bit longer as I secured one of the last rooms at the Bodega Bay Inn. The man at the desk took pity on me as I told my story and gave me a deal. Happy ending or not, this little gear recovery escapade put a dent in my trip plan too big to fix. I would not have time to color in Oregon or Washington this trip. I payed close attention to the forecast checking for any possibility of precipitation. The next morning, December 30th I would ride The Pacific Coast Highway a short distance to Jenner and then say goodbye.

It was worth it. The coastline is simply spectacular.

I turned east and paused in Guerneville for brunch at The River Inn Grill.

I made my way through wine country toward Sacramento. Once there I stopped for gas and called Aunt Peachie. Plan B is in motion. Then suddenly a rider on another 919 appeared. It was fellow Wrist Twister Ed. Great to meet you man!

Darkness fell as I rode US-50 toward Lake Tahoe and so did the mercury quickly approaching the freezing mark. There was a substantial amount of snow along the roadway but the pavement was dry. I continued with caution using my HID beams when possible and taking advantage of turn outs to allow 4 wheeled traffic to pass. It was a long ride to Carson City and I found the Motel 6 parking lot covered in ice. They let me leave the bike in front of the office for the night.

post #32 of 60 Old 01-07-2014, 09:09 PM
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase

Crazy way to start the trip and you picked a hell of the time of year to head up into the mountains. I hope you're recovering / getting well rested and I bet it was a mix of rushing and lack of sleep that led to the bungee net mishap. Patiently waiting for the rest of the report.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

post #33 of 60 Old 01-07-2014, 09:20 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Good stuff so far Ken! Looking forward to more Looks like an awesome ride. Some of that shoreline shots looks familiar from memory, man I'd love to do that WA>OR>CA trip again.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

post #34 of 60 Old 01-08-2014, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase

Oh yeah, here's the December 30th route map.

post #35 of 60 Old 01-08-2014, 05:36 PM
Pierre-Marc

great ride report so far Ken! those pictures are awesome thanks for sharing

post #36 of 60 Old 01-08-2014, 06:26 PM
Milites Gregarius

Awesome Ken ! great report, beautiful pictures. I don't believe my old bones could have hung in there with you that many hours on so many miles. You are THE MAN Ken ! Glad you made it back home safe and sound. Lew

post #37 of 60 Old 01-08-2014, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase

Thanks guys.
post #38 of 60 Old 01-08-2014, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase

RIDE REPORT: CHAPTER II

The next morning, New Year's Eve, high 20's I believe, I treated myself to the sheer grandeur of the snow covered Sierra's. Again, I did not expect to be here in winter but here I am. US-395 is a must ride.

I kept seeing repetitive signs, not on the scale of Bucee's mind you but touting nonetheless the $5.95 steak 'n egg breakfast special at the Topaz Lodge. I bit. I had to walk to the back of the massive casino and couldn't find the cafe at first. The waitress seemed frustrated when I ordered the special, and even more so when I asked her to take my picture against the beautiful backdrop of the lake. Her heart just wasn't in it.

Well at any rate, the view was impressive . . . . .

. . . . and the steak was excellent.

The sun had warmed things up a bit to near 40. It was a feast for the eyes.

This is Mono Lake which has a salt content that rivals The Great Salt Lake in Utah. I had no idea.

A tourist at the overlook offered to get a shot of me with the bike - and actually put some effort in it.

I arrived at Aunt Peachie's in Bishop CA around 3pm. We went out for a late lunch and then spent New Year's Eve watching game shows and catching up on family business. It was a very enjoyable visit.
post #39 of 60 Old 01-08-2014, 10:10 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Phenix View Post

That looks familiar!

FF to 2:14 for Mono Lake2011 Moto Trip - YouTube

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

post #40 of 60 Old 01-10-2014, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase

That's so cool Andrew!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode