Helen, GA Trip on my 919 and wifes Spirit 750 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 32 Old 08-15-2007, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
www.TnAdvRiders.com

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Helen, GA Trip on my 919 and wifes Spirit 750

Heres Ride Report and pics from our Helen,GA trip on 8-11 and 8-12 2007. Me and the wife decided to do a street ride to Helen, GA this weekend. I orginally had planned on taking my cruiser, the Magna 750cc motorcycle. Had everthing loaded and ready to roll, and got about a mile down the road, and some loud noises was coming from the front wheel area. I havent rode this bike alot this year, but I remembered wipping some grease from the wheel last year. Meaning the bearings were out. I dunno what deal is on this, I have went thru two sets of front bearings in this bike in about 2 years time I guess. I replaced one set, then it lasted about a year, and it messed up again. So I figured I may have messed the bearings up pressing them in. So I let a dealer do it the 2nd time, and it lasted about another year. And now out again. Well with bearings acting like that I didnt want to ride it. So short turn around, unloaded crusier, and bungie tied down a bag on the back seat of the 919, and we were off. On the way down we took 68 south, then 294 shortcut to 64. Then a quick right onto 129 South where we hit 384 (Richard B Russel Scenic Highway). Then that put us right outside of Helen,GA. 102 miles down from Swee****er to Helen this route. This town is very neat little town. I can remember when I first came here few years back. Everthing was so peacful. Everone was so nice. River rolling thru town, Everone seemed to be having a good time. I remember thinking this is closest place to Heaven I've ever seen. Great Motorcycle town. All roads around here are awesome.

Well after riding into town we stopped by the Elvis show to check out show times, give us something to do that night. Rates were $16 per adult. So we decided to check it out. Got 2 tickets then headed down to the visitors center to check on lodging.. Rates must be up this year. Last year we stayed in town for 50-60 bucks on july 4th week. Found one motel for 89 I think, the rest were $129 and up! Found a cozy cabin 3 miles outside of town for $80 even. So decided to stay there. So when dropped off all our luggage and headed back to town. Parked in the bikers parking on the main strip and walked around some. Checked out all the little shops and such. Ate at this little tavern below the main bridge in town there. Pretty nice little place, but little pricey.. By this time of day was really getting thristy.. So we split a pitcher of Miler Lite. Boy did that hit the spot ..

After that, she wanted to check out the choclate shop. Hansel and Gretel has a Candy shop downtown where they make and sell all sorts of choclate, carmel, and taffy. About everthing you can think of. Trying to watch the calories, so we only had 1 white choclate covered strawberry. Got Dad a box of Tafee also.. Walked around a little more, and decided to take the tafee back to the cabin and wash up a little before the show.. So did that, and went back to check out the Elvis show they have there in town. They do it ever Saturday. Thru December. I think they are closed a few months for winter. It was pretty good show. With a female singer opening up then the Elvis guy came out afterwords.. He kept ya laughing throughout the show. It was also very well cooled inside, so was nice. After that we went thru town and then decided to just head back to the cabin for the night.

Next morning we grabbed some breakfest at Wendy's, then decided to do a little different route on the way back.. Back over 384, but this time do the Wolf Pen Gap run, then 60 North. The Wolf Pen Gap area is like North Georgia's Deals Gap. Lots of bikes there, and they have a little store there in Suchees at the end of it that all the bikes hangout at. Well siting there taking a little break, and here comes Tim out of no where.. So Got to talk with him a little while and check out his beemer. We then hit the road on way back. 60 is a very beautiful stretch of road.. But this route added about 40 miles to the ride on the way back. So about 140 miles back hom going this route. Well hour or so later we run into Tim again at a gas station in CopperHill.. After that we just rode 68 north all way to Tellico Plains then all the way home.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 08-15-2007, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
www.TnAdvRiders.com

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Here are a few pics from the ride. Heres our bikes at a little stop on the way down near Ranger,TN on us64

Heres pic of the wife at one of the overlooks off of 384 (Richard B Russel Scenic Hwy). Beautiful Georgia Mountains off in the distance

Picture of the North Georgia Moutains off the same overlook.

Another pic of the wife and the bikes..

Heres a view from inside the cabin we stayed at..

Another inside view of the cabin...

Heres Shannon in downtown Helen at one of the water fountains..

Another view of downtown Helen,GA

Heres a tribute to our Armed Forces. This is a little concert type hall there on the main sidewalk in downtown Helen,GA

post #3 of 32 Old 08-15-2007, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
www.TnAdvRiders.com

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Heres a pic of the inner tubers coming down the river in middle of town..

Another view of the river running thru town with the tubers coming down...

And another view...

Heres where all the bikes park in town. They have a little stretch labeled Motorcycles only...

Heres wife wanting her picture in Santa's Sled. Dunno why, she's been too bad this year to get any presents..

Heres Shannon outside the Cabin we stayed at.. Nice little cabin. But we had to walk down a trail to get to it. Thus our bikes were parked out of clear sight. Thats only thing I didnt like about it.

Heres our bikes at the cabin parking...

This is the road sign where the cabins were on..

Tried to get some shots at the Elvis show, but none of the pictures turned out good because of the darnkess. Heres a couple of Elvis tho..

post #4 of 32 Old 08-15-2007, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
www.TnAdvRiders.com

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Another picture from the Elvis show. Poor quality I know, but picked out 2 of the best ones from the show.

Heres Shannon at the Wolf Pen Gap Road sign...

Heres the Store there at Wolf Pen Gap with some of the motorcycles around..

Heres Tim who we ran into while at the store taking a break. Him and his BMW.

Heres Shannon pulling over in Copper hill for a break..

Another picture of her at the Conoco there in Copperhill...

While there we saw some ducks taking a cool mid-day swim down the river..

Another view of the ducks and the bridge thru town..

And our bikes there in Copperhill..

post #5 of 32 Old 08-15-2007, 06:25 PM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Nice report! Love the inner tube pics. Reminded me of seeing Ron White and hearing his, "floating down the river, peeing on yourself routine" Sorry, I digress. From all the smiles it looks like you had a fun journey.

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #6 of 32 Old 08-15-2007, 06:33 PM
Mc 9er

that looks like a really nice relaxing place,thanks for sharing,you both looked like you had a lot of fun

c 9er
silver,the fasted colour
post #7 of 32 Old 08-15-2007, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
www.TnAdvRiders.com

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonald919 View Post
that looks like a really nice relaxing place,thanks for sharing,you both looked like you had a lot of fun
Oh you just don't know.. This place is so relaxing... Its closest place to heaven I have found on earth.. Thanks for the comments guys. BTW McDonald. I was the one who inquired about your silver givi. I just now replied to your pm, I hadnt been on here (wristtwisters) in a couple of months.

post #8 of 32 Old 08-15-2007, 07:25 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Very nice report, and a great trip for you and the wife. Thanks for sharing it with us.

post #9 of 32 Old 08-16-2007, 04:36 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Love to read trip reports especially when pics. are included. Thanks for sharing.

post #10 of 32 Old 08-16-2007, 05:01 AM
red dirt girl

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration BOTM Donation Donation 

Thanks for the report and the pics. Looks like a great trip. I've never been to Helen but have heard alot about it.

It looks like the water level in the creek is a little low! Those inner tubes were dragging! But cool fun, never the less.

post #11 of 32 Old 08-16-2007, 05:08 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Great pics...looks like you had great weather for your trip...thanks posting them!

post #12 of 32 Old 08-16-2007, 06:38 AM

Sounds like I nice trip! I think we might have stopped in Helen last year for lunch on our Memorial Day trip. Looks like the same town, but we didn't really see much of it, just stopped in for lunch while riding. Nate would probably remember.

post #13 of 32 Old 08-16-2007, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
www.TnAdvRiders.com

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
It looks like the water level in the creek is a little low! Those inner tubes were dragging! But cool fun, never the less.
Yeah water was really low right now. My wife even made the same comment when we were down there. It wasn't like that last time we were there. Its been real dry and creeks down everwhere down this way this summer.

post #14 of 32 Old 08-16-2007, 08:48 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

Good stuff, looks like fun!

post #15 of 32 Old 08-16-2007, 09:13 AM
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride 

Looks like a good time...what was the total one-way mileage?

My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all.
- Stephen Hawking
post #16 of 32 Old 08-16-2007, 09:56 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

No pics of yourself? Are you sure you went?

j/k...looks like you guys had fun. Motorcycle trips are cool.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #17 of 32 Old 08-16-2007, 05:55 PM
Living the dream

Helen is a cool litle town. We stopped there last year when we were in North Georgia visiting friends. A day around there and on to the gap.

Nice pics...makes me want to go back!
post #18 of 32 Old 08-16-2007, 07:56 PM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

Nth GA.

Really neat slides. I've been to that part of country before. Is that the same Copper Hill that was a mine for years, all the way back to the Indians?

[
post #19 of 32 Old 08-17-2007, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
www.TnAdvRiders.com

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmelnick View Post
Looks like a good time...what was the total one-way mileage?
Not a real long trip, about 255 miles round trip, counting all our running around town and stuff probably. It was 102 miles from home until we hit the city limits. 111 by time we parked at the cabin back outside if town. I then left the GPS in the cabin, so aquired several miles not accounted for. 137 miles back, but we took a different route back.

post #20 of 32 Old 08-17-2007, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
www.TnAdvRiders.com

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
No pics of yourself? Are you sure you went?

j/k...looks like you guys had fun. Motorcycle trips are cool.
That happens alot.. I'm usually one taking the pics. I need to get the wife to snap a couple of me from time to time. She does some, but we didnt get any on this trip tho.

post #21 of 32 Old 08-17-2007, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
www.TnAdvRiders.com

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerecord View Post
Really neat slides. I've been to that part of country before. Is that the same Copper Hill that was a mine for years, all the way back to the Indians?

Yeah pretty sure its same one. Was big in minning at one time. Which makes some good dirt bike riding up there, but they outlawed the dirt bikes on the mine property

post #22 of 32 Old 10-29-2007, 04:24 PM

Great pictures. Thanks! Is that an F-16 (short) windshield on the 919? Looks great. I'm new to the 919. What kind of bars are those protecting the engine?

post #23 of 32 Old 10-29-2007, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
www.TnAdvRiders.com

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwagner00 View Post
Great pictures. Thanks! Is that an F-16 (short) windshield on the 919? Looks great. I'm new to the 919. What kind of bars are those protecting the engine?
Both of those were on it when I bought it. But with a little research online, I do belive the wind screen is the National Cycle F-16. Also I believe the engine guards are made by Givi.

Visit the most active online motorcycle
community in the East TN/Western NC area at ....

http://www.SmokyMountainRiders.com

post #24 of 32 Old 10-29-2007, 07:59 PM
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwagner00 View Post
'Tis a Givi engine guard. I've got the same one. Here's some more pics of just the guard...

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=8547

My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all.
- Stephen Hawking
post #25 of 32 Old 10-30-2007, 04:20 AM

Thanks for the information!

post #26 of 32 Old 10-30-2007, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
www.TnAdvRiders.com

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmelnick View Post
'Tis a Givi engine guard. I've got the same one. Here's some more pics of just the guard...

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=8547
Do you have any clearance issues with yours and the shifter? My shifter seems to hit the engineguard when upshifting.. It doesn't keep it from upshifting, but seems to come in contact with it. Also it should be noted that mine was dropped by the original owner in his garage with a few scratches to the paint on the guards. Thus the impact from the fall could have been what shifted the guards closer to the shifter? just curious?

http://www.TnAdvRiders.com
post #27 of 32 Old 10-30-2007, 06:25 AM
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python423 View Post
Do you have any clearance issues with yours and the shifter? My shifter seems to hit the engineguard when upshifting.. It doesn't keep it from upshifting, but seems to come in contact with it. Also it should be noted that mine was dropped by the original owner in his garage with a few scratches to the paint on the guards. Thus the impact from the fall could have been what shifted the guards closer to the shifter? just curious?
No, I have no clearance issues with mine. Are you talking about the bar that connects the shifter at the transmission, or the shifter pedal itself? My pedal isn't anywhere close to the guard. I'm trying to figure out how even bending it could come close to getting in the way

- Stephen Hawking
post #28 of 32 Old 10-30-2007, 08:38 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the excellent trip report! I am very impressed your SO rides her own bike.

I am very surprised you are not wearing ATGATT safe gear. There are a couple accidents logged on this board that had over $300K in hospital bills with life altering injuries, because they weren't ATGATT. Please ride safely.

post #29 of 32 Old 10-30-2007, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
www.TnAdvRiders.com

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream247919 View Post
I am very surprised you are not wearing ATGATT safe gear. There are a couple accidents logged on this board that had over $300K in hospital bills with life altering injuries, because they weren't ATGATT. Please ride safely.
What is ATGATT?

post #30 of 32 Old 10-30-2007, 08:52 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
What is ATGATT?
All The [safety] Gear, All The Time==Full CE padded Leathers, back/chest protector, High boots, cuff gloves, FF helmet.

post #31 of 32 Old 10-30-2007, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
www.TnAdvRiders.com

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream247919 View Post
All The [safety] Gear, All The Time==Full CE padded Leathers, back/chest protector, High boots, cuff gloves, FF helmet.
I'm not real big on ATGATT, I believe in some gear, but not big on ATGATT. I ride conservitive, and also have gear of higher power,

Psalm 91:11-12
For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.

post #32 of 32 Old 10-30-2007, 03:51 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I'm not real big on ATGATT, I believe in some gear, but not big on ATGATT. I ride conservitive, and also have gear of higher power,

Psalm 91:11-12
For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.
Your God is powerful. My God is too busy to bail me out for bad decisions. He made it clear a long time ago that I must take PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY to minimize risk and impact to my family. Thus why I'm always ATGATT.

Ride Safe and have fun.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode