Great ride...well almost - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 11 Old 09-19-2009, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
Imaginifer

Great ride...well almost

Deciding to take advantage of some of my local surroundings, I went for an afternoon bike ride in my own area. Leelanau Co. offers some of the most beautiful scenery in the state of Michigan. Along with the scenery, there are good rural paved roads with lots of twisties everywhere! I started up through the rolling hills next to Lake Leelanau, dotted with numerous orchards of ripe apples just waiting to be picked. The county is rich with apple and cherry orchards and also very famous for their vineyards.

Going through the village of Suttons Bay reminded me that the entire state highway M-22 is designated a Scenic Highway. It starts just North of Manistee, MI and hugs the Lake Michigan shoreline all the way to the tip of the “Little Finger” of Michigan. Then it heads back south along the eastern edge of Grand Traverse Bay (West Bay) until it ends in Traverse City. I would say M-22 is as scenic as any road in the United States.

From Suttons Bay I head northwest, taking a back route to Leland. Leland is a port village on Lake Michigan. Fishing and, like the entire peninsula, tourism is huge. From Leland I head south towards the Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes National Lake Shore. This is part of the National Park System and includes areas around Glen Arbor, Glen Lake, Empire and Frankfort.

The American Indian Legend of Sleeping Bear Dunes: “Long ago, along the Wisconsin shoreline, a mother bear and her two cubs were driven into Lake Michigan by a raging forest fire. The bears swam for many hours, but eventually the cubs tired and lagged behind. Mother bear reached the shore and climbed to the top of a high bluff to watch and wait for her cubs. Too tired to continue, the cubs drowned within sight of the shore. The Great Spirit Manitou created two islands (North and South Manitou) to mark the spot where the cubs disappeared and then created a solitary dune to represent the faithful mother bear.” - (NPS)

After taking in all the sites and leaving Empire, I decided to head back home along M-72 towards Traverse City. The road surface was marred with patch marks and gouges. Because of this, I didn’t get too excited when a couple of times the bike seemed a little squirrely. Then, half way between nowhere, it started to feel like it was squirming underneath me. WTH??? I started slowing down from 70 MPH and then I realized I had a firkin flat tire! I really didn’t have a clue what to do next…I called my insurance company (State Farm) and asked them if I had road service and they informed me they don’t even carry it for motorcycles…huh! (sheit)…now what. Since I work a rotating schedule, I was on days off during the middle of the week. Everyone I knew was at work or school….no one to call. I spied a farm up the road a bit and hobbled my bike there and asked the farmer if I could park it until I figured out how to get it home. Then I grabbed my stuff and headed back toward the highway. With my helmet in hand and in full gear, I start hitchhiking (something I haven’t done in 35 years!) in the 80 degree heat. It wasn’t long when a car with a single woman pulled up and asked me if I wanted to use her cell phone. I thanked her but said I had one. She then asked where I was heading I told her about 10 miles to Traverse City. She hesitated and said it was against her better judgment…hop in! I was shocked, but come to find out her fiancé was a biker and so gave me a ride. She took me right to my door and then I patiently waited for my son, who has my old pickup (I miss my pickup!), to get home from college. We then went and rescued my 9er!

All in all I had a great experience, learned a lot and met some kind people along the way. Thanks to all that stopped to help!

I’ll try to post picture…hopefully it works.
Pictures by tc919er - Photobucket

Map:
Leelanau Co. MC ride 091509 - Google Maps

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
---Thomas Jefferson 1776.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-19-2009, 06:18 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Great pics, thanks for sharing! You live in a beautiful part of the country, can't wait to get back up there on two wheels again!

post #3 of 11 Old 09-19-2009, 06:50 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

I've been around that area. Nice country. Thanks for the story and the pics.

Get one of these and keep it under the seat. You won't be stranded next time.

Aerostich Expedition Pocket Plugger Tubeless Tire Repair Kit - Tire Repair Kits - Tire Repair - Prevent or Repair :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike

post #4 of 11 Old 09-19-2009, 06:53 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

Interesting, have you ever put it to use? I may need to invest in a couple of those kits.

post #5 of 11 Old 09-19-2009, 07:13 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
Interesting, have you ever put it to use? I may need to invest in a couple of those kits.
Yep. Last year. Had a brand new set of tires on when I left home. Got to Asheville and had a bolt in the rear tire. Pulled it, plugged it and aired it. Put just under 8,000 miles on that tire. When I removed it I checked the mushroom plug out. Very solid repair. It inserts the mushroom "head first" or "stem out", whichever way you want to call it.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #6 of 11 Old 09-19-2009, 07:16 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
I also used it in the middle of nowhere and it worked great allowing 500ml on the plugged threaded tire to get home.

post #7 of 11 Old 09-19-2009, 07:23 AM
orange

Awards Showcase

Thanks guys, think I'll order a couple of those kits, seems like relatively cheap insurance.

post #8 of 11 Old 09-19-2009, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Imaginifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
I've been around that area. Nice country. Thanks for the story and the pics.

Get one of these and keep it under the seat. You won't be stranded next time.

Aerostich Expedition Pocket Plugger Tubeless Tire Repair Kit - Tire Repair Kits - Tire Repair - Prevent or Repair :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear
Thanks for the heads up. Definitely would have come in handy!

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
---Thomas Jefferson 1776.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-18-2009, 09:42 AM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

I just wanted to addd this info for any one interested.

Here is an alternativeto the 50.00 item listed from Stich.

http://www.amazon.com/STOP-POCKET-TI...=19VQZN2Z1BRNJ

It omits the CO2 cartridges so you need a pump of some sort. If you do plan to use CO2 make sure you do your research first as it can take 5 or more cartridges to inflate a tire depending on air temperature and tire size. Just a bit of research disuaded me from the CO2 route in preference of a small 12volt compressor.

post #10 of 11 Old 12-18-2009, 10:15 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

how small is your wee compressor? does anyone use one o those compressor thingies that screw into the spark plug socket of one cylinder on an engine and use engine compression to air up tires? I used to hear about those, years ago.

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #11 of 11 Old 12-18-2009, 11:08 AM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
how small is your wee compressor? does anyone use one o those compressor thingies that screw into the spark plug socket of one cylinder on an engine and use engine compression to air up tires? I used to hear about those, years ago.
Take your pick:

Cycle Pump
CyclePump

Slime
Amazon.com: Slime 40001 Power Sport Tire Inflator: Automotive

Airman Tour
AirMan Tour 12 Volt Air Pump : Campmor.com

I went with this one...as have countless bikers before me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode