Ghost Town Hunt 2007 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 19 Old 02-27-2007, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 6

Ghost Town Hunt 2007

Here's how it works.

1. Locate a ghost town. (or a town so devoid of populace that it strongly resembles a ghost town)
2. Make a daytrip of riding there.
3. Photograph the trip and the ghost town.
4. While there you must take at least one picture of yourself making a ridiculous face.
5. Post up telling the story of the town and what you found when you got there.

Google is a great resource for scouting locations - just google "ghost towns in...." enter your state and you'll be on the way.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-27-2007, 11:37 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

I'll throw in a pack of "Johnsen Mountain Jerky" to anyone who completes this task.

Jet, we should have a vote at year end for the best ghost town/write-up/photos.

post #3 of 19 Old 02-27-2007, 11:39 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadogs View Post
Jet, we should have a vote at year end for the best ghost town/write-up/photos.
I bet you wish you had thought of this last year when you found the coolest ghost town of the summer, huh?

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"

post #4 of 19 Old 02-27-2007, 12:56 PM

This should be made into a sticky, so it doesn't get lost between ghost town finds.

post #5 of 19 Old 02-27-2007, 02:21 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadogs View Post
I'll throw in a pack of "Johnsen Mountain Jerky" to anyone who completes this task.
And with that, I'm in.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #6 of 19 Old 02-28-2007, 05:58 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

I bet in 2007, RidgeRunner, Simspon and I can visit more Ghost towns on the East coast than any other trio of wristtwisters that do not live together.

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #7 of 19 Old 02-28-2007, 09:23 PM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaf4iguy View Post
I bet in 2007, RidgeRunner, Simspon and I can visit more Ghost towns on the East coast than any other trio of wristtwisters that do not live together.
Count me in!

post #8 of 19 Old 03-01-2007, 05:23 AM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Ya, but you're gonna have to split the jerky 3 ways

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #9 of 19 Old 03-01-2007, 05:31 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I'm in, when do we start?

post #10 of 19 Old 03-01-2007, 05:39 AM

If there are two other people that work weekends like myself near missouri, kansas, or iowa.........I'd bet we could smoke you guys in ghost town finds. Ok, I guess it would have to be two people that would take it seriously.............but we do have a ton of ghost towns in the area......especially in western kansas.

post #11 of 19 Old 03-01-2007, 06:07 AM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 

I never made any G-town explorations in ND in 2006, I got too busy moving to CO, but I have already googled some CO ones and hope I can find some accesible by bike, Looks like I may have to bring a backpack and do some hiking. I do still want to take the dirtbike out back in ND to some of the old Ghoststeads scattered around the Badlands.

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #12 of 19 Old 03-05-2007, 01:45 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
makes me wonder why you guys are spending so much time together????

post #13 of 19 Old 03-31-2007, 01:09 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Does this count?

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #14 of 19 Old 07-17-2007, 10:15 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase

Anyone find any ghost towns yet? I haven't had time and it will be hard for me to top the Centralia town that I found last year.

Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.
post #15 of 19 Old 07-17-2007, 10:23 AM
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 

I totally forgot about this thread. I will start taking more pics of the ones I have traveled to. And now that the little lady is riding too, we are going to take a couple of weekend trips to some of the more remote ghost towns. Game on!!

-Joe
post #16 of 19 Old 07-17-2007, 11:14 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Dangit! Does it count if I visit Centralia, and call it a new name? Photoshop does wonders with road signs.

post #17 of 19 Old 07-17-2007, 11:18 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner View Post
Dangit! Does it count if I visit Centralia, and call it a new name? Photoshop does wonders with road signs.
If you're brave enough to go there.....heard it is more dangerous as of late due to noxious gases.

New sign that wasn't there last time.

Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.
post #18 of 19 Old 10-18-2007, 11:39 PM
Tirone

Here's One I Prepared Earlier

Here's one that I did a couple of years ago... Hope it counts!

The weekend got off to a fine start with 21 bikes and three cars fronting up on Friday morning to venture off into the great unknown.

Unfortunately, the ZRX’s battery decided that it would let me know that it was getting a little old now (7 years last May) by not starting the bike. A quick bump start and we were away, but Cath (my wife) and I lost contact with the main group and didn’t re-group with them until Ayr (200km - 120 miles).

After lunch and a quick fuel stop, the drone up the (very boring) Bruce Highway continued until we turned left on to Woodstock Road and then left at Woodstock on to the Flinders Highway. Another fuel stop at Calcium (last place with PULP- Premium fuel) and we turned off at Mingela for the 40km (25 miles) run to Ravenswood.

The road from Mingela to Ravenswood is one of life’s pleasures. Good tarmac that is relatively bump free and great visibility combined with long sweeping corners are its pluses. The down side is that it is pretty much unfenced and the presence of cattle grids and bovine speed humps is always on your mind.

Once in Ravenswood we set up camp at the Railway Hotel and proceeded to rinse the dust out of our throats for a few hours. As our group had significantly increased the towns population, the publican (Rowan) had organised live entertainment out in the beer garden and not many people saw their beds before midnight.

Ravenswood was once a thriving gold mining town. Today it is almost a ghost town with a population of around 100 who service the surrounding area and cater for the growing tourism.

It is hard to imagine that this town once boasted over 50 pubs (of course many of them were nothing more than tents for selling booze) or that it once had a population of over 4000.

There is currently a commercial gold mine operating not more than 500m from the town centre and, although small by todays mining standards….

It is on a much grander scale and far more sofisticated that the old style mining equipment that lies in ruins around the town…

The next day saw a very fuzzy group of riders awake and prepare for the 80km run to the Burdekin Dam. During this preparation period, a number of riders opted to take up the opportunity to test ride different bikes. For some strange reason, I ended up on a Harley again!?

O.K., so it's not a funny face, but it's pretty silly riding gear for a Harley!

After the testing it was off to the dam. Cath decided that she’d like to take a few beers with her, so she went in one of the cars and I took the Hornet for a run, leaving the ZRX to guard the pub.

On this leg of the journey, there were plenty of cattle on the road and one of the guys got to test the functionality of the ABS system on his new K1200S. Fortunately, cow bike and rider came away unscathed. Not the same can be said about the riders pants!

The dam was finished in 1987 and is the largest in Queensland. The structure controls the flow of water down the river and when full, has four times the amount of water in Sydney Harbour. It's a body of water also known as Lake Dalrymple. The dam wall is 876 meters long (1/2 mile) with a 504 meter spill way which drops 37 meters to the river bed. It's a spectacular sight when water is gushing over the spill way. This sight happens regularly, especially during wet season when rainfall in the Burdekin River catchment, which extends north of Ingham, more than fills Lake Dalrymple.

The road to Collinsville runs along the bottom of the spill way, so I thought I’d zip down to check things out. It really puts the size of the project into perspective when you realise that the little speck on the road down there is me.

Here’s a closer look.

Even though there was no water over the spill way, there was a flood gate open at the base of the dam and the road passed quite close to it. The power of the water rushing out of the gate was quite intimidating.

The assembled throng had purchased BBQ packs from the pub and had a great feast on the shores of the dam.

The size of the dam is amazing.

The Burdekin locals seemed un-phazed by our presence.

The owners of the Railway Hotel, Rowan and Denise, looked after us very well, even to the extent that when rain threatened on Saturday evening, Rowen moved his car out of its shed so that we could park our bikes in there. Nice One!

Ravenswood was privileged that evening to witness the amazing talents of half the Hamilton Island Motorcycle Club as the Karaoke machine at the Imperial Hotel (the other pub in town) got a thorough workout! Ravenswood was also probably very pleased to see us all leave the next morning!

Cheers,
Pete

Live Fast - Die Sideways
post #19 of 19 Old 10-19-2007, 08:00 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Great report! Looks like a lot of fun.

'02 Honda 919 - She's the only one for me!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode