post #1 of 37 Old 06-19-2006, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Ghost town - Centralia PA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centralia,_Pennsylvania

http://silenthill.ugo.com/features/r...ll/default.asp

This was quite an interesting adventure, never have I quite had such a surreal and eerie experience. The ride there was pretty fun as it was nothing but backraod curves. My buddy Steve elected to ride his Sreamin' Eagle so I had to wait for him quite a few times as he kept complaining about dragging expensive shiny bits .

The town itself was a little hard to locate at first as there is almost nothing there! It's hard to imagine there were hundreds of home as recently as the early 80's. Now it's just empty roads and a couple of households of which only a couple are inhabited. We drove up and down paved streets aimlessly for awhile stopping every once in awhile to discuss and marvel at the empty feeling of death that hung in the air.

We finally came upon the sign and closed section of road that once had led to the heart of Centralia. Here we had to dismount and continue on foot. Boy did we pick a good day for this. It was 95 degrees and about 397% humidity I believe that Hades may be hotter which I feel we may have been all too close to.

We walked the barren 4 lane highway for about 3/4 fo a mile and both of us noticed an acrid smell wafting into the air. The ambient tempature had also started to to visibly rise. We rounded one last bend and there was possibly the gates of Hell. The highway looked as if a massive earth quake had hit it. The ground was full of cracks and fissures from which small tendrils of smoke arose like fingers of the damned grasping into our world of the living.

You could not stand on the highway in one spot for any extended period as the asphalt was almost too hot to physically touch with your hand. If you put you hand over or into the crevasses in the road the tempature felt akin to opening your oven when preheated to 350 degrees. There were a couple of spots where the asphalt litterally crumbled when stepped on near the egde. When it did crumble new tendrils of acrid smoke licked at the ankles of our riding boots.

We snapped a few pictures then elected not to explore any further as the danger of the ground collapsing was becoming all to real and apparent. What used to be the center of Centralia is a place we were not going to try our luck.

I hope you all enjoy the pictures and links as they can never do justice to the empty and strange feelings felt when there in the flesh.

We have arrived at Centralia

Empty streets and sidewalks minus houses and people.

One lonely house that I believe is still inhabited by the mayor of Centralia

Time capsule to be opened in 2016 if it still exsists

Here it is......possibly the highway to Hell?

We now come upon the abyss and its welcome signs.

If Steve dissapears I'm selling his fatboy and buying a MV Agusta

My obligatory pop tart breakfast (do rag was to keep the sweat out of my eyes and NO I don't ride that way)

The asphalt is crumbling and melting right under our feet.

One of the towns four cemeteries. No one liveing left here....

Another one

Maybe this guy knew something the others didn't

There used to be homes at these sites

Lastly, one more shameless 919 plug

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 06-19-2006, 07:45 AM
BANNED!

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Whats with the underground mine fire?

Any story to that? Old mining town that burns for eternity?

I LOVE Tig Bitties!
post #3 of 37 Old 06-19-2006, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest
Whats with the underground mine fire?

Any story to that? Old mining town that burns for eternity?

It's in the links. Here is the Wikipedia versio cut and pasted.

History
Centralia was incorporated in 1866, but it had existed since 1841 when the Bull's Head Tavern was opened by Johnathan Faust. In 1854, Alexander W. Rea, a civil and mining engineer for the Locust Mountain Coal and Iron Company moved to the borough and laid it out into streets and lots. It was known as Centreville until 1865 when the name was changed to Centralia when the post office was established. The anthracite coal industry was the principal employer in the community. Coal mining continued in Centralia until the 1960s, when most of the companies went out of business. Bootleg mining continued until 1982. Strip and open-pit mining is still active in the area, and there is an underground mine employing about 40 employees three miles to the west.

The borough was also a hotbed of Molly Maguire activity during the 1860s and 1870s. The borough's father, Alexander Rea, was one of the victims of the secret order when he was murdered just outside of the borough on October 17, 1868. Three individuals were convicted of the crime and hanged in the county seat of Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania on March 25, 1878. Several other murders and arsons also occurred during this period.

The borough was served by two railroads, the Philadelphia and Reading and the Lehigh Valley, with the Lehigh Valley being the principal carrier. Rail service ended in 1966. The borough operated its own school district with elementary schools and a high school within its precincts. There were also two Catholic parochial schools in the borough. At one time the borough had seven churches, five hotels, twenty-seven saloons, two theatres, a bank, post office, and fourteen general and grocery stores.

[edit]
The mine fire
A trash fire was lit in the borough landfill in an abandoned mine pit in the southeast portion of Centralia in 1962. The fire ignited an exposed vein of coal, and spread throughout the mines beneath the borough. Several unsuccessful attempts were made to extinguish the fire. It continued to burn throughout the 1960s and 1970s. During this time, several people reported experiencing adverse health effects from the carbon monoxide produced by the fire.

During the 1970s, people became aware of the scale of the problem when a gas-station owner happened to insert a stick into one of his underground tanks to check the fuel level. When he withdrew it, it seemed hot, so he tried lowering a thermometer down on a string and was shocked to discover that the temperature of the gasoline in the tank was 180 degrees Fahrenheit (82.2°C). Shortly after this incident, attention to the fire began to increase.

In 1981, 12-year-old Todd Domboski fell into a sinkhole that suddenly opened beneath his feet. He was saved after a relative pulled him out of the hole, which was estimated to be hundreds of feet deep. The incident brought national attention to Centralia, and in 1984, Congress allocated more than $40 million for relocation efforts. Most of the residents accepted the buy-out offers and moved to nearby Mount Carmel and Ashland.

A few families opted to stay, despite warnings from state officials. In 1992, Pennsylvania claimed eminent domain on all properties in the borough, condemning all the buildings within the borough. A subsequent legal battle waged by residents with the state was unsuccessful. In 2002 the US Postal Service revoked the borough's Zip Code, 17927.

[edit]
Centralia today
Only a handful of occupied homes remain in Centralia. Most of the buildings have been razed, and at casual glance the area now appears to be a meadow with several paved streets through it, and some areas are being filled with new-growth forest. Most of Centralia's roads and sidewalks are overgrown with brush, although many areas appear mowed.[1] The remaining church in the borough holds weekly Saturday night services, and the borough's four cemeteries are still well-maintained. Centralia's cemeteries now have a far greater population than the town, including one on the hilltop that has smoke rising around and out of it. The amount of fumes rising from the fire can be imagined from the fact that some of the few remaining houses are long and narrow (as if they were once row houses surrounded by other homes), and have ten brick chimneys constructed along the two long sides of the building, five on each side.

The only signs of the fire, which underlies some 400 acres (1.6 km²), spreading along four fronts, are low round metal steam vents in the south of the borough. Additional smoke and steam can be seen coming from an abandoned portion of State Route 61, which was closed in the 1990s after several large cracks appeared on the road, as well as from the area just behind the hilltop cemetery, and from various other cracks in the ground scattered about the area. However, the underground fire is still burning, and will continue to do so for the indefinite future. There are no current plans to extinguish the fire, which is consuming an eight-mile seam containing enough coal to fuel it for 250 years.[2]

The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania did not renew the relocation contract at the end of 2005, and the fate of the remaining residents is uncertain.[3]

It is expected that many former residents will return in 2016 to open a time capsule buried in 1966 next to the veterans' memorial

The second link is how this town ended up being the basis for a horror movie.

post #4 of 37 Old 06-19-2006, 08:09 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Whoo, that is one freeky place. In case you might have picked up some bad Ju-Ju you are from the WristTwister BBQ. j/k

post #5 of 37 Old 06-19-2006, 08:19 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Pretty cool. I guess cool is the wrong term to use. Pretty hot! Hard to believe that can burn for another 250 years. Get that thing put out before it ends up in the mining portions of Kentucky.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #6 of 37 Old 06-19-2006, 08:32 AM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

That is awesome... I want to go.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #7 of 37 Old 06-19-2006, 08:46 AM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 

Pretty wild, Awesome pics and story

post #8 of 37 Old 06-19-2006, 08:52 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Creepy place, I can see why the inspiration for the game. Good post dogs.

post #9 of 37 Old 06-19-2006, 09:06 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

AWESOME!!!! That is a great story - exactly the sort of thing worth exploring and sharing! Thanks for sharing the adventure!!!

post #10 of 37 Old 06-19-2006, 09:13 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
I vote this as best ghost-town visit of the summer.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #11 of 37 Old 06-19-2006, 09:45 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

good one dadogs

post #12 of 37 Old 06-19-2006, 12:45 PM
BANNED!

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bock919
I vote this as best ghost-town visit of the summer.

I AGREE! I wouldnt go there....

I LOVE Tig Bitties!
post #13 of 37 Old 06-19-2006, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest
I AGREE! I wouldnt go there....

I won't go back after I read about "subsidence" which is where the coal underground burns down to an ash/clinker state and seemingly stable ground can collapse into a 2 to 300ft sinkhole. I think I may try a little more stable adventure for the next ghost town.

I've also learned (after the fact) that if you are anywhere near the "fire front" the surface temps can reach 750 degrees fahrenheit. Hence the abscence of vegetation in large areas. I really wasn't joking when I said you could only stand on that road for short periods.

post #14 of 37 Old 06-19-2006, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase

Something else tha just struck me and I can't believe it didn't earlier. There was no wildlife period! I mean other than vehicles passing by on the nearby highway it was utter and complete silence. Not even a bird chirping in the trees.

I guess the animals are a little smarter than the remaing 10 or so residents that refuse to leave......

post #15 of 37 Old 06-19-2006, 06:08 PM
Living the dream

Cool story. I have always said to trust nature. If the birds and rats are leaving, time to abandon ship so to speak.

post #16 of 37 Old 02-27-2007, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase

Spring is almost here and need to find some new ghost towns! Photobucket added a new feature that I want to see if it works as well.

post #17 of 37 Old 02-27-2007, 07:28 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Nice show Mark. I need to look for a ghost town to report on.

post #18 of 37 Old 02-27-2007, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner View Post
Nice show Mark. I need to look for a ghost town to report on.
There are quite a few in Colorado. One I've been to, Carson City, took about an hour by four wheel drive to get to. It's nestled just down from a peak in the rockies. It's an entire tiny town, but just a shell. Ghost towns are awesome, but definetly eerie.
http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/co/carson.html

post #19 of 37 Old 02-27-2007, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by 919Hooligan View Post
There are quite a few in Colorado. One I've been to, Carson City, took about an hour by four wheel drive to get to. It's nestled just down from a peak in the rockies. It's an entire tiny town, but just a shell. Ghost towns are awesome, but definetly eerie.
http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/co/carson.html
Yeah, when I lived in CO we used to find old mining camps/ghost towns in the middle of nowhere. Very cool!

Right now trying to track down the rough location of one located somewhere on state gamelands. It's not on any map but is an entire main street completely deserted in the middle of nowhere.

post #20 of 37 Old 02-27-2007, 09:40 AM

Also, if any of you are interested, you can go to this site www.ghosttowns.com and select your state to see local ghost towns.

post #21 of 37 Old 02-27-2007, 10:01 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 919Hooligan View Post
Also, if any of you are interested, you can go to this site www.ghosttowns.com and select your state to see local ghost towns.
here's another one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor..._United_States

post #22 of 37 Old 02-27-2007, 10:02 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

Hooligan, just so you are in the loop as to why this is a topic, check this thread out.

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...ighlight=ghost

post #23 of 37 Old 02-27-2007, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Hooligan, just so you are in the loop as to why this is a topic, check this thread out.

Hey James, we need to update the requirements for the '07 ghost town hunt. Maybe say a new hunter thread?

post #24 of 37 Old 02-27-2007, 11:11 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadogs View Post
Hey James, we need to update the requirements for the '07 ghost town hunt. Maybe say a new hunter thread?
And change from something other than a pop tart. How bout some jerky.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #25 of 37 Old 02-27-2007, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
And change from something other than a pop tart. How bout some jerky.

I'll up that by sending a pack of homemade jerky to anyone who posts up a ghosttown and entertaining story.

post #26 of 37 Old 02-27-2007, 11:36 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadogs View Post
How's that? https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=4881

post #27 of 37 Old 02-27-2007, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblast10 View Post
Perfect

post #28 of 37 Old 02-27-2007, 12:54 PM

Quote:

"I see", said the blind man. This is a pretty cool idea. I know of at least one I can contribute, but not until it warms up a little!

post #29 of 37 Old 02-27-2007, 01:07 PM
Dang

It would be better if that the sign on the entrance to the town started, "Ye Entruders beware. Crushing death and grief, soaked with blood, of the trespassing thief."

post #30 of 37 Old 07-17-2007, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase

Check this out, guy made a documentory of Centralia. Here is the trailer

http://www.thetownthatwas.com/trailer

Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.
post #31 of 37 Old 07-17-2007, 12:25 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

[youtube]fkHfnp2czZQ[/youtube]

post #32 of 37 Old 07-23-2007, 08:31 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Centralia..........that poor town

In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.
General George S. Patton
post #33 of 37 Old 07-23-2007, 09:15 AM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Donation 

Great story, thanks for sharing!

post #34 of 37 Old 05-26-2008, 07:05 PM
Prepare 4 surprise attack

I keep digging old treads, I know lol, but after reading this one, I thought that it would be a nice weekend roadtrip to go and visit Centralia. Anyone lives close by and knows about Hotels/Motels in the area ?

Cheers,
Simon

Simon
post #35 of 37 Old 09-19-2012, 03:55 AM
Vehicle Abuse Specialist

I went to Centralia this past weekend and thought you all may appreciate the then and now view. Enjoy...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-2512892648.jpg (96.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg image-3661630651.jpg (106.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg image-3096850738.jpg (68.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg image-2282059699.jpg (87.3 KB, 17 views)

post #36 of 37 Old 09-19-2012, 04:19 AM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Just watched the Yt video link, crazy story on the town. Underneath is 5 acres of actively burning coal til today and for years to come!

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #37 of 37 Old 09-19-2012, 04:19 AM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

Just reviewing the pictures brought back a faint recollection of the pungent odor of the area from my last visit.

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode