Gave the Corbin more time.... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 18 Old 08-13-2010, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Ride Offensively

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Gave the Corbin more time....

Yesterday, I dropped my daughter off at school, and then headed to Montgomery, AL to see a friend who is moving to New Mexico due to his military obligations, anyway it is the first time I have put over 300 miles in a day on the Corbin seat.

I have to say, IT HAS EXTENDED MY RIDE TIME COMFORTABLY!
I like the Corbin over the Stock seat, now to do another day, this time 4-500 miles........

I Can and will ride anything!
Bikes I own:
New addition 1978 CB750Four
2006 919
1994 home built springer
1984 KLR 600
1953 Servi-car (I gotta get this put back together)
1942 WLA (Gotta finish this one as well)
1985 Honda 200M ATC
1985 Honda ATC 70
1997 Yamaha Big Bear 350 4X4 ATV
Early 1984 Ironhead Sporty (Wife has laid claim to this bike)
1986 Sporty that I am putting a ironhead engine into
YEA BIGDAA I Gotta GUN!
It's not that I am punishing YOU, I am just taking YOUR money and giving it to LAZY Asses who refuse to get off the TIT of the Government...Obama to Joe the Plumber
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-13-2010, 01:37 PM
Gets censored

I'm plannin on a 2 day trip to dallas, I did it on the stocker before. Got a corbin now should do me better. Certainly feels better on little hour long jaunts I've been on.

post #3 of 18 Old 08-13-2010, 01:40 PM
Tirone

Pics? Price? Let us know how the longer rides go...

post #4 of 18 Old 08-13-2010, 02:13 PM
Livin the dream

The Corbin does feel really odd at first. It's taller than the stock quite a bit and really changes the riding position. I forced myself to keep riding with it.

Last week I put the stock seat on for a quick run to the store. I felt like I was sitting on the ground. And my butt hurt before I got back... we're talkin 15 minute ride to the store.

Got an all day ride into the mountains of Virginia planned next weekend. Did the same thing last year with the stock seat. I hurt for days. Can't wait to see how the Corbin does.

Doug

post #5 of 18 Old 08-13-2010, 04:13 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioguy View Post
The Corbin does feel really odd at first. It's taller than the stock quite a bit and really changes the riding position. I forced myself to keep riding with it.

Last week I put the stock seat on for a quick run to the store. I felt like I was sitting on the ground. And my butt hurt before I got back... we're talkin 15 minute ride to the store.

Got an all day ride into the mountains of Virginia planned next weekend. Did the same thing last year with the stock seat. I hurt for days. Can't wait to see how the Corbin does.

Doug
I gotta laugh.
When I bought the 919 new in 05, the guy at the shop told me straight "do you wife a favour and get a Corbin seat".
She found the stocker to be OK, while I was in agony on rides of any length.
I bought the Corbin, she likes it better than stock, and I love the seat. The added height is a bonus for me, I'm about 6 ft with long legs, and the added height makes it much more comfortable, the knees especially when doing Track Days, my legs are not all crunched up with knees on fire like when I'm on my race seated GSX-R.

919 Seat Short story : Stock Bad / Corbin Good !

post #6 of 18 Old 08-13-2010, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Ride Offensively

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

The Corbin I have sits the same height as the stock seat, and the passenger area is stock appearing, so maybe it was a special order or did they do the seats like this in the beginning?

The seat fits better than the stock seat, and definitely fits better to my rearend!

I got it off of Sleazebay for $202.00 free shipping.

Bikes I own:
2006 919
1994 home built springer
1984 KLR 600
1985 Honda 200M ATC
1985 Honda ATC 70
YEA BIGDAA I Gotta GUN!
It's not that I am punishing YOU, I am just taking YOUR money and giving it to LAZY Asses who refuse to get off the TIT of the Government...Obama to Joe the Plumber
post #7 of 18 Old 08-13-2010, 06:03 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaMountaintop View Post
The Corbin I have sits the same height as the stock seat, and the passenger area is stock appearing, so maybe it was a special order or did they do the seats like this in the beginning?

The seat fits better than the stock seat, and definitely fits better to my rearend!

I got it off of Sleazebay for $202.00 free shipping.
I just put the stocker back on and did a comparison for you. Rider deck height is 7/8 higher and passenger deck is higher than stock seat. The effective difference is greater due to the stiffer foam that the Corbin uses. There is over an inch of compressed rider deck difference.

Does yours have a bit of a rise at the front centre section where it meets the tank ? If so, I think it means it is an older one.
I bought mine in 2006, and it was a standard specification seat ordered direct from Corbin and manufactured when I bought it. Mine has no front rise. The rear perch is above the grab rail height on mine.

post #8 of 18 Old 08-13-2010, 09:20 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
I just put the stocker back on and did a comparison for you. Rider deck height is 7/8 higher and passenger deck is higher than stock seat. The effective difference is greater due to the stiffer foam that the Corbin uses. There is over an inch of compressed rider deck difference.

Does yours have a bit of a rise at the front centre section where it meets the tank ? If so, I think it means it is an older one.
I bought mine in 2006, and it was a standard specification seat ordered direct from Corbin and manufactured when I bought it. Mine has no front rise. The rear perch is above the grab rail height on mine.
ERROR CORRECTION
Somehow I managed to miss adding in the 1-7/8 inches higher dimension is for the passenger deck as compared to stock.
And just in case you are wondering, yes the measured difference is 7/8 at rider deck and 1-7/8 at the passenger deck.

post #9 of 18 Old 08-14-2010, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Ride Offensively

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Look at the last page, it shows pictures of my seat.

https://wristtwisters.com/showthread....highlight=ebay

I do not count 7/8" as a difference, so as far as I am concerned, there is no difference.
Now if it were like 3 inches, I would say WOW there is a difference!

Bikes I own:
2006 919
1994 home built springer
1984 KLR 600
1985 Honda 200M ATC
1985 Honda ATC 70
YEA BIGDAA I Gotta GUN!
post #10 of 18 Old 08-14-2010, 07:28 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaMountaintop View Post
Look at the last page, it shows pictures of my seat.

https://wristtwisters.com/showthread....highlight=ebay

I do not count 7/8" as a difference, so as far as I am concerned, there is no difference.
Now if it were like 3 inches, I would say WOW there is a difference!
What you have is clearly different from mine.
The rear of my passenger deck, which is curled up as part of the bum curve profile, is above the rear grab rail.

As for the 7/8 at the rider deck not being much of a difference, all I can say is you must have shorter legs than me. The net difference is at least an inch, because of the stock soft foam vs Corbin stiff foam. Day and night difference for me.

post #11 of 18 Old 08-15-2010, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Ride Offensively

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

33" inseam?

Whichever, I love this seat!

Bikes I own:
2006 919
1994 home built springer
1984 KLR 600
1985 Honda 200M ATC
1985 Honda ATC 70
YEA BIGDAA I Gotta GUN!
post #12 of 18 Old 08-15-2010, 09:10 PM
Pilus Posterior

Me- I like the stock seat. It is spot on for my height and appears perfect for my weight. I am toying with a custom cover only only due to the stocker being a fairly uninteresting visual slab of black. Maybe a split use of plain and textured covering.

Darn bike - it just keeps asking for little mods here and there ........ but wait that is one of the reasons I chose it. Lovely bike.

post #13 of 18 Old 08-17-2010, 10:59 AM
Optio

I'd like to find one of those Corbins that don't have the 4-6" passanger seat. Stupidly missed an opportunity for one on here a few years back

I do have a Seargent and it's a huge improvement over the stock seat, but I would like to find something with more of a pocket to set you back in as the Seargent is very similar to the stock seat, the foam is just vastly superior.

This weekend I was in the seat for about a 150 miles straight and my ass was hurting, was dreading the return trip but than just like that my butt didn't hurt and I had a pleasant ride home and could have done another 100 miles.

post #14 of 18 Old 08-17-2010, 12:54 PM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

I also think the Corbin with the smaller passenger area that Florida has is an older design. Maybe the plain old "Gunfighter". I have the same seat as Mcromo, with the thick rear seat. It's the "Gunfighter and Lady". I bought the removable backrest with it, and I think that is why they went with the beefier design. It allows for the socket to fit the backrest peg. Since my better half doesn't ride much anymore I would rather have the older thinner design.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #15 of 18 Old 08-17-2010, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Ride Offensively

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Mine does not have a hole for the backrest, if I did, I would have a back rest due to the 4 back surgeries and all, I rode a Streetglide with a backrest and man I thought that was just COMFORTABLE!

Bikes I own:
2006 919
1994 home built springer
1984 KLR 600
1985 Honda 200M ATC
1985 Honda ATC 70
YEA BIGDAA I Gotta GUN!
post #16 of 18 Old 07-22-2013, 05:04 PM
Tirone

Is the gunfighter and lady backrest a sturdy backrest? For those that have ridden 2-up with a Corbin backrest, please give reviews on how sturdy that backrest actually was. Cheers

post #17 of 18 Old 07-22-2013, 07:17 PM
Princeps Prior

VERY sturdy back rest. It fits in the seat very nicely/tightly about 4-6" in. The steel itself is roughly 1/2" square steel. It also has a 1/4"-20 thread in it, so you can screw the backrest to the seat

My girl likes it and I do too. Keeps her little weight off me.

I'm willing to bet you could put one beast of a lady and it would hold up fine.

post #18 of 18 Old 07-23-2013, 02:05 PM
Tesserarius

Corbin

I have Corbins on everything i ride...great seat!!!

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...9-a-32774.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode