For IL residents - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 5 Old 02-27-2006, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Primus Pilus

Garage
For IL residents

There are two places I've found that make for great riding in Illinois. Most of the state (as you know) is flat, boring, and curveless. But for those of us living in this state, there is hope.

Starved Rock in the Lasalle, Peru, Utica, Ottawa area has fantastic roads, beautiful scenery and even some hills. It is most definitely worth a visit if you haven't been. Top it off with the fact that it is smack dab in the middle of some of the most boring slab-riding, and you have a nice reprieve from the daily grind.

Number 2 is Galena, IL. The town itself is something of a tourist attraction, but the architecture alone makes it worth a trip. There is an entire section of town devoted to historic buildings. US 20 just outside Galena makes for great riding. Curve after curve is decorated by amazing views of the hilly landscape. Wisconsin riders, this is a great place for you to visit, too. It's right on the border waaaay up in the northwest corner of IL.

If you haven't been to either of these places, I beg you, make the trip. You'll not be disappointed. Those of you who already have beautiful roads nearby, I hate you. I have to ride at least an hour to find some curves and scenery.

...except for ISU campus, there are curves and scenery there, too.
Living in a college town does have its perks.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-27-2006, 07:58 AM
Naked in Cheese Land

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Bock - a group of us from Milwaukee make it to Galena at least once a year. We blast out west of Madison, do the rural twisties out then work our way furthur west till we get to The River. We touch Iowa, then swing down to Galena for Lunch. when we head out of Galena we ride Old Stage Coach road, they had just repaved it last year and It's Awesome! Great Twisties, Nice Elevation Changes and not to many Cages. The Pavement was new last time we were there and we just hauled ass. Good Times!

post #3 of 5 Old 02-27-2006, 09:42 AM

hey, were either of you riding in the kettle morain forest area last september heading north? I passed another 9er and didn't know if he was here.

post #4 of 5 Old 02-27-2006, 10:20 AM
Naked in Cheese Land

Awards Showcase
Donation 

um... North or South Unit? My folks live around the south unit and I ride out to see them sometimes. Blacked out O2 - was there a bunch of guys or just one bike?
Actually last season we hooked up with a Guy on a 03 from IL. we meet him at a gas station in madison and he did a couple hours with us. had a full wind fairing and a box strapped onto the rear set - almost BMW style.
Nice thing about the 919 - don't see to many of them up here. Was thinking about a Monster, but there are 4 of those things on every block it seems.

post #5 of 5 Old 05-20-2007, 10:37 PM
Zed's dead baby...

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Shadows View Post
Bock - a group of us from Milwaukee make it to Galena at least once a year. We blast out west of Madison, do the rural twisties out then work our way furthur west till we get to The River. We touch Iowa, then swing down to Galena for Lunch. when we head out of Galena we ride Old Stage Coach road, they had just repaved it last year and It's Awesome! Great Twisties, Nice Elevation Changes and not to many Cages. The Pavement was new last time we were there and we just hauled ass. Good Times!
This may be the road I know as Scenic Ridge Road, from Savana IL, to Galena, I just rode it a week ago, it was in great shape and free of gravel from side roads, there are plenty of houses on this road though, i'd advise some restraint, but it's good times for sure. If your in that area, please take a few to drive through the Mississippi Palisades State Park, and awesome view from the top, i used to skip school to hang out there.

PCIII (Sato map by Kyle Racing); Sato Ti (second gen); Flapper disconnected; K&N (is that an accessory?); Self Made custom center stand; AFAM 17 tooth front sprocket; Galfer rear wave rotor, pads, and stainless line.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode