1) You're passing through my city on the way down (route 1). Stop in and say hello or grab a bed or a bite to eat!
2) Is your brother a new rider? or just new to the cruiser? Either way A) Cruisers are more uncomfortable (to me) because the feet are out front and throw your lower back out. Expect low miles from his ability to stick with it. ESPECIALLY if he's just plain a new rider. 500 a day is going to be pushing it.
3) Sleep every other day in a hotel or soft bed. Tenting it is going to wear you out as you won't sleep as well. Nothing is more dangerous than being exhausted and pushing yourself to keep your schedule. You want to be as refreshed as possible as long as possible.
4) Make sure you have good gear. Even in the summer in Idaho, when you go through a mountain pass at night, it can drop into the 50's low 40's.
5) I might ride with you for a bit! Route 1 definitely has some good scenery until about my town, from there to Nevada it's, well, Nevada, lol. That stretch from Twin Falls to Reno is LONG and BOOOOORIIINNNNNGGGGG. I know, I did all 565 miles in one day.
6) Don't speed in Idaho, lol. They WILL ticket you. Even worse in Utah, but you're not heading there.
2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)