BRP July 4th - Wrist Twisters
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Badgerdog
  • 1 Post By NealC
  • 1 Post By CKutz_GO

post #1 of 12 Old 06-29-2016, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

BRP July 4th

I had this idea to go ride some of the BRP and watch the fireworks from there. Has anyone done this or heard of doing it? it seems like there's got to be a good vantage point somewhere near a city (north of Roanoke, VA) that you can watch fireworks, or multiple fireworks shows. I'm sure being on the ground the fireworks would look better, i just thought it'd be neat to watch them from up there and something different.

I'm in Frederick, MD and I've got off Monday and Tuesday. My gf will be along, so it'll be fun squeezing us both and camping gear on the bike!

Plan:
Friday.
-We'll probably only leave around 7pm and just head south to get out of the local area, stopping around Winchester.
Saturday
-ride south via some fun roads and stop at Jefferson Pools in Warm Springs, VA for a dip. Continue south toward Roanoke to somewhere to camp for the next 2 days.
Sunday
-spend the day hiking
Monday
-Ride North on the BRP to somewhere to watch fireworks
Tuesday
-Take our time on some fun roads working our way North and arrive in Frederick.

Anybody have suggestions?

If you have Furkot you can tag stuff on the trip here i think.
https://trips.furkot.com/board/vkLLEM
Don't worry i haven't customized the route yet, definitely not doing that much highway.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-29-2016, 07:48 AM
Milites Gregarius

I'm planning on hitting Skyline Drive on Sunday morning. The goal is to ride routes 250 and 33 on Sunday afternoon. I'll be returning on Monday morning as I want to hit the Barbara Fritchie Classic in Frederick on Monday afternoon.

Not sure about fireworks, didn't really cross my mind.

This is my 1st time riding on the west side of route 81. Any suggestions to my route plan would be appreciated.

post #3 of 12 Old 06-29-2016, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

I'm really curious if the construction on 250 has been finished. last time i rode it (a year ago) it was miles of gravel patches.

maybe the fireworks idea is dumb cause you'll be too far, but it hought it'd be neat if you found a vantage point where you could see a couple towns at once or something.

I've never made it to the Barbara Fritchie Classic.. I always want to, but always end up travelling for the 4th..

post #4 of 12 Old 06-29-2016, 03:22 PM
Princeps Prior

Google it. I just did. There are several places to watch the fireworks apparently. Wish I lived closer.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot_20160629-182316_1467239039538.png (274.7 KB, 7 views)

post #5 of 12 Old 06-30-2016, 02:50 PM
Ride to Eat, Eat to Ride

I rode 250 a few weeks ago from Rt 28 in WVA to Staunton/I81, didn't notice any problems with construction on that section. Had a nice breakfast in Monterey, VA at High's Restaraunt with all the locals.
Good ride.

post #6 of 12 Old 07-01-2016, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline919 View Post
Google it. I just did. There are several places to watch the fireworks apparently. Wish I lived closer.
yea no one is too specific though, except for Thunder Hill which is in NC.

post #7 of 12 Old 07-01-2016, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerdog View Post
I rode 250 a few weeks ago from Rt 28 in WVA to Staunton/I81, didn't notice any problems with construction on that section. Had a nice breakfast in Monterey, VA at High's Restaraunt with all the locals.
Good ride.
Awesome, thanks for the tip! it was the section from Monterey to WV. sounds like they got it done.

post #8 of 12 Old 07-01-2016, 05:30 AM
Ride to Eat, Eat to Ride

No problem, have a good time. From the ride I had on Rt 33...
Translation: Good times ahead!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg High Crash.jpg (274.1 KB, 4 views)
CKutz_GO likes this.

post #9 of 12 Old 07-01-2016, 02:47 PM
Tirone

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CKutz_GO View Post
I had this idea to go ride some of the BRP and watch the fireworks from there. Has anyone done this or heard of doing it? it seems like there's got to be a good vantage point somewhere near a city (north of Roanoke, VA) that you can watch fireworks, or multiple fireworks shows. I'm sure being on the ground the fireworks would look better, i just thought it'd be neat to watch them from up there and something different.

I'm in Frederick, MD and I've got off Monday and Tuesday. My gf will be along, so it'll be fun squeezing us both and camping gear on the bike!

Plan:
Friday.
-We'll probably only leave around 7pm and just head south to get out of the local area, stopping around Winchester.
Saturday
-ride south via some fun roads and stop at Jefferson Pools in Warm Springs, VA for a dip. Continue south toward Roanoke to somewhere to camp for the next 2 days.
Sunday
-spend the day hiking
Monday
-Ride North on the BRP to somewhere to watch fireworks
Tuesday
-Take our time on some fun roads working our way North and arrive in Frederick.

Anybody have suggestions?

If you have Furkot you can tag stuff on the trip here i think.
https://trips.furkot.com/board/vkLLEM
Don't worry i haven't customized the route yet, definitely not doing that much highway.
The NC part of the BRP is usually a parking lot each July 4th, The Eastern Cherokee Nation has a powwow each year on this holiday. Since the BRP starts there, it picks up a lot more cars from that. The powwow is a lot of fun though, go sometime if you have the opportunity.
CKutz_GO likes this.

post #10 of 12 Old 07-07-2016, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

So we ended up riding 250 eastbound into monterey, after riding out to Seneca Rock. indeed there was no gravel. All those black patches were tar/chip or something the last time i went through.

The BRP was awesome as usual. no issues with traffic or LEOs. We waited out the rain on Monday and were rewarded with the sun coming out and dry roads on Tuesday.

HeliMech likes this.

post #11 of 12 Old 07-08-2016, 06:35 AM
Ride to Eat, Eat to Ride

Looks like a great time!

What campground is that?

post #12 of 12 Old 07-11-2016, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

That was actually before the BRP, it was McClintic Point campground. The first two pics were taken there. The intent was to go camp at Bolar Mountain Campground.. but someone.. forgot to ask how long they'd be there to give us a spot and everything was full when we got there. It's in the middle of nowhere so we were glad we found the primitive campground, but tall grass meant lots of bugs, no showers (can use showers at Bolar if you can find them, we couldn't and gave up) and it happened to be extremely humid and stagnant haha... a certain VIP on this trip wasn't too thrilled.

The next night we intended to stay at Peaks of Otter because there was some awesome hikes around.. but that same someone from earlier decided to stop at a dollar general on our way instead of the one right across town... turns out, it was not on the way, and it was closed for remodeling... so even though it's only 20 miles away from peaks of otter, it was a 40 min drive, still had to unload/set up tent and go back out for a few items we needed and they had no showers, (VIPs really like showers).

Luckily we found the Lynchburg NW / BRP KOA Campground and they had reasonable rates for tent sites, and showers. Unfortunately i forgot to take a pic of our site there. We had a really nice stay though and made friends and had ourselves a little 4th of july bash.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode