Another fun weekend on 2 wheels - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 4 Old 08-29-2011, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Another fun weekend on 2 wheels

My wife’s parents drove from Idaho to eastern WA for the weekend, so my wife and I figured it would be a good excuse to get out on the bike for a couple days in the sun to ride over and spend the weekend with them. We took the scenic route, going over 6 mountain passes and took our time getting there.

The route on Google Maps:

Day 1 – Renton to Wenatchee (around Mt. Rainier – Greenwater/Crystal Mt., Cayuse Pass, Chinook Pass, White Pass, Yakima Canyon, Blewett Pass).

Day 2 – Wenatchee to Renton (morning excursion up to Lake Chelan, across Steven’s Pass, then 50 miles of back roads so I could hit some more twisties)

Unfortunately, my in-laws are never on a schedule, and even though I told them a few times that we planned to be on the road by 11:30am, noon at the very latest, before I knew it we were a couple hours behind schedule, so we didn’t stop to take photos on the return trip. My wife snapped a couple (from the bike) as we passed Lake Chelan. There’s a lot of great scenery along the route we took home – rivers, lakes, cliffs, waterfalls, mountains, etc. Next time we’ll get some good photos…

A couple rants from the weekend:
- I understand that the scenery through the mountains is spectacular, and at times can actually be distracting, but if the speed limit is 55 or 60 and you can only go 40, PULL OVER!
- When you go through the mountains the elevation changes – A LOT! You can go from sea level to over 5000 feet. If the speed limit is 60 and traffic is going 75, and you’re pulling a 40 foot trailer with an underpowered truck, and can only go 35 mph… do everyone behind you a favor and PULL OVER! That’s what the slow vehicle turnouts are for!

Overall a greeat weekend!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-29-2011, 03:05 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Great pics! Thanks for sharing.

post #3 of 4 Old 08-29-2011, 07:42 PM
...is a Nihonjin.

lol, the 'pull-over' etiquette is nowhere to be found, my friend.

post #4 of 4 Old 08-29-2011, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

The average speed limit around the mountain is 55mph and the rest or the route is 60mph. Many people drive 5-10 over, but it's crazy how many times over two days I got stuck behind someone driving as much as 15mph UNDER the speed limit, with a line of a dozen or more cars behind them. And the guys pulling trailers through the mountain passes are even worse - up to 25mph UNDER the speed limit with a long line of cars behind them and no thought of pulling over to let anyone by.

I can't really complain too much - despite some slow drivers, the weather was great, the scenery was fantastic, and I was out on my bike the entire weekend!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode